Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,338 members, 7,780,888 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:51 AM

Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad (23346 Views)

8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad / How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad / A Shocking Video Of A Nigerian Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by Nobody: 6:30pm On Sep 03, 2012
@dasparrow..making sense.
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by Nobody: 6:33pm On Sep 03, 2012
@ Acid talk...ur post is full of grammatical blunders,try correcting it
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by 360command: 6:33pm On Sep 03, 2012
I have read some comments here which I see it to be interesting and some not to be interesting . I am also here to correct a statement of what other users wrote .

I would not say that Nigerians are too loud and lousy, but this can be actually be explained in different ways. What do you mean by too loud and lousy?

I think there are some Nigerians who have tried to air their mind or right to other people but the people see it as we are too loud and lousy. I will give you an example. I once travelled from from ghana to ivory coast on visit or holiday by road in a bus, at the border area after all everybody had done passport checking, verification as well as stamping, the bus driver,decided to leave us inside the bus and started chatting outside. The chat went on for about 40mins,everybody in the bus kept silence,only for the Nigerian man to have gone high at his voice by saying 'where is the driver?what are you still doing by chatting there?time is not on our side,we need to be moving' - his voice raised an alarm,only for the conductor(ghanian) to have come inside and approach this Nigerian guy by saying,' are you a nigerian' ? The nigerian man replied, 'Yes I am'. The conductor said; this is how you people are.(This was a bad or wrong judgement to me)

I then intervened by saying to the conductor 'u must be very stupid for saying that to the Nigerian, he is trying to air his mind. What is the driver doing by leaving his bus,chatting with another, while we wait for him for over 50mins(after the nigerian man confronted with the ghanian conductor). Everybody saw reasoning to what I said and then the driver came in after he heard the voices of the Nigerians(I & the other Nigerian) from outside. As the driver was moving, that was when every ghanian and ivorian were making noise by yelling at the driver asking him 'why the delay'.

In my heart, I said , thank God for this nigerian for airing his right and not been loud&lousy(as the conducted said we are) about it . Some people just turns it round and say we are loud and lousy when we are just trying to make a point. It was because of the Nigerian guy,the driver came in and drove off.

4 Likes

Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by 360command: 6:36pm On Sep 03, 2012
360command: I have read some comments here which I see it to be interesting and some not to be interesting . I am also here to correct a statement of what other users wrote .

I would not say that Nigerians are too loud and lousy, but this can be actually be explained in different ways. What do you mean by too loud and lousy?

I think there are some Nigerians who have tried to air their mind or right to other people but the people see it as we are too loud and lousy. I will give you an example. I once travelled from from ghana to ivory coast on visit& holiday by road in a bus, at the border area after when everybody had done passport checking, verification as well as stamping, the bus driver decided to leave us inside the bus and started chatting outside. The chat went on for about 40mins,everybody in the bus kept silence,only for the Nigerian man to have gone high at his voice by saying 'where is the driver?what are you still doing by chatting there?time is not on our side,we need to be moving' - his voice raised an alarm,only for the conductor(ghanian) to have come inside and approach this Nigerian guy by saying,' are you a nigerian' ? The nigerian man replied, 'Yes I am'. The conductor said; this is how you people are.(This was a bad or wrong judgement to me)

I then intervened by saying to the conductor 'u must be very stupid for saying that to the Nigerian, he is trying to air his mind. What is the driver doing by leaving his bus,chatting with another, while we wait for him for over 50mins(after the nigerian man confronted with the ghanian conductor). Everybody saw reasoning to what I said and then the driver came in after he heard the voices of the Nigerians(I & the other Nigerian) from outside. As the driver was moving, that was when every ghanian and ivorian were making noise by yelling at the driver asking him 'why the delay'.

In my heart, I said , thank God for this nigerian for airing his right and not been loud&lousy(as the conducted said we are) about it . Some people just turns it round and say we are loud and lousy when we are just trying to make a point. It was because of the Nigerian guy,the driver came in and drove off.
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by MsOluchi: 6:42pm On Sep 03, 2012
its actually "change" and not "balance". Go and look it up in your dictionary dummy!
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by Nobody: 6:43pm On Sep 03, 2012
Lol @ the number of hidden posts cheesy
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by molli(f): 6:44pm On Sep 03, 2012
shymexx: Oi,

But you can't deny that pigeon English is fun, arguably the best form of broken English ever. cool
its spelt 'PIGDIN'. pidgin and broken re two different things entirely n cn not be classified as variant forms.pidgin has a fixed grammar and a standard structure wyl Broken English is an attempt of an uneducated person to speak English.

1 Like

Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by HyeBits: 6:51pm On Sep 03, 2012
acidtalk:

My English teacher at the Adult Night School told me just last week that change is wrong. I
Change is correct, not balance.
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by MyJoe: 6:55pm On Sep 03, 2012
charlsecy4:

Change is correct, not balance!
Thank you.

I doubt Acid has travelled abroad because oyinbos also ask for change. In fact, if you hear someone ask for their "balance" when they want their change abroad, you know he is a Nigerian and has been patronising one of em thrashy "good English" pamhletes sold inside molues and under the bridge in Lagos or he has been listening to someone who does and won't use a dictionary.

3 Likes

Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by Leefem: 7:03pm On Sep 03, 2012
Wow i grew up in Nigeria and i neither speak loudly nor jump queues.
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by Obijulius: 7:10pm On Sep 03, 2012
acidtalk: ^^^
With all modesty and humility, I have traveled to at least 16 countries both within Africa and Over seas and I will tell you I have personally witnessed more than 95% of the above listed points.

Nigerians are VERY Lousy (even while trying to talk gently). I have seen a situation where the hotel security called their team to come settle a scuffle on the walkway only to find out our fellow Nigerians were only cracking jokes and laughing. The white men thought 'we' were fighting.

So pleased that you have succeeded in describing yourself (pro sae). U r a Nigerian & u av been abroad, going by ur inference it can thus be implied that u av exhibited some or all. D xtics u so meticulously describe.

ℓ☺ℓ.
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by Cupidkc(m): 7:14pm On Sep 03, 2012
shymexx: - Loud on the phone and on the bus.
- The accent - AmericoJapanChineseYorubaIgbo accent.
- How did I forget the big words? Bwahhahahaha... And words like 'Him..be..sile" IM[i]B[/i]ECILE.. Gotta love my naija people! grin

Watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qa4yLubz4o
Black men!!!
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by philips70(m): 7:21pm On Sep 03, 2012
I STRONGLY SUSPECT ACIDTALK IS EITHER DSGUY OR JUSTWISE

hornipipe: Lol @ the number of hidden posts cheesy
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by Nobody: 7:25pm On Sep 03, 2012
molli: its spelt 'PIGDIN'. pidgin and broken re two different things entirely n cn not be classified as variant forms.pidgin has a fixed grammar and a standard structure wyl Broken English is an attempt of an uneducated person to speak English.

Pigeon/pidgin, or whatever name you choose to call it - is a variant of broken English, which has evolved overtime. May I ask you the history of "pigeon/pidgin", and how it started?

The 'fixed grammar' is part of the evolution, which includes words from Nigerian languages. To say pidgin/pigeon isn't a variant of broken English is utter tosh and pure nonsense. You would do yourself a lot of help by studying the language itself before showing your ignorance. undecided

And who were primarily the "speakers" of pidgin/pigeon English, before the 'educated' class made it cool for everyone as a form of endearment, and the lingua franca of the average Nigerian?
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by acidtalk: 7:38pm On Sep 03, 2012
philips70: I STRONGLY SUSPECT ACIDTALK IS EITHER DSGUY OR JUSTWISE

How dare you beliTtle me?
Na me be Seun Osawe.
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by kpolli(m): 7:38pm On Sep 03, 2012
acidtalk: Whether Home or Abroad wherever you come across a Nigeria you might be skeptical of their origin (usually place of birth). But as soon as you hear a Nigerian who grew up and have a better part of their life spent in Nigeria, you can easily tell from their use of words and pronunciation.

Below are some of the words and pronunciations used by Nigerians both within Nigeria and outside.

* I want to Drop : this is when they are making their intention know they want to alight from a bus, taxi or car.

* Where's my change : this is to show they are waiting to collect their balance after a purchase.

* God dey : they are expressing their dissapointment in an event or feel cheating.

* E go better : When they believe there's hope in a current situation they are presently not happy about.

Others are :
* Jumpig of queues

* Speaking in loud voice

* Rushing to take a train, cab or bus and also in a hurry to alight
* Talking for hours and shouting while making use of a public phone boot.

* Talking so loud on the Hotel hallway.

* The highest spender in clubs, bars, malls and event centre.

* the man that keeps talking aloud inside the cinema.

More to come soon.

Lie, white females are louder. . .
Nigerian girls are always frowning
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by Nobody: 7:48pm On Sep 03, 2012
philips70: I STRONGLY SUSPECT ACIDTALK IS EITHER DSGUY OR JUSTWISE

huh
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by Nobody: 7:58pm On Sep 03, 2012
^ lmao grin
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by mruknaijaboy(m): 8:11pm On Sep 03, 2012
shymexx: - Loud on the phone and on the bus.
- The accent - AmericoJapanChineseYorubaIgbo accent.
- How did I forget the big words? Bwahhahahaha... And words like 'Him..be..sile" IM[i]B[/i]ECILE.. Gotta love my naija people! grin

Watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qa4yLubz4o

LOOOOOL this video was jokes g i seen it time ago still

shymexx:

Yo g, where have you been? I concur with your post - the skinny jeans and mohican piss me off, but Nigerians are fashion conscious although they overdo everything most times.

And Nigerians are aggressive as fvck but most run like puzzies when it's time to fight... They just like shouting and disturbing the peace.. Bwahahahahaha

But hey, I love my naija people - we go hard in the club... Champaz everywhere, with mandem rocking all the new designers and that - and they party hard. Naija mans buy out every club they go to and you sure know they're going to make the champaz rain..

Get money, spend stupid, and get on noodles diet after - that's the naija way..

Salute!!! grin

Thats what I was gonna ask you ma g i aint seen u on here for a hot minute still, did these priks on ere try and ban u fam? they try ban me one time fam but it was for like a day or something g

yeh naijas from abroad go hard with the spending in the clubs, go to cokobar or guvnor bar and youll see bare of them buying ace of spades which is like £700 - £800 in clubs, £800 just for a bottle of champagne! lol 419 money
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by mruknaijaboy(m): 8:13pm On Sep 03, 2012
Obijulius:

So pleased that you have succeeded in describing yourself (pro sae). U r a Nigerian & u av been abroad, going by ur inference it can thus be implied that u av exhibited some or all. D xtics u so meticulously describe.

ℓ☺ℓ.

dis one jus dey blow grammar
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by mruknaijaboy(m): 8:26pm On Sep 03, 2012
molli: its spelt 'PIGDIN'. pidgin and broken re two different things entirely n cn not be classified as variant forms.pidgin has a fixed grammar and a standard structure wyl Broken English is an attempt of an uneducated person to speak English.

pidgin and broken are the same thing dammit!
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by mruknaijaboy(m): 8:56pm On Sep 03, 2012
shymexx:

Saw it time ago as well g.. Man got it from bayo's music facebook page like 3yrs ago, when man was still messing with facebook and that. Do you know Bayo?

Aint bayo's music da don dat used to make beats for giggs and he says bayo's music at the beginnning of his beats? i think dats the donny still if not i dont even kno who he is still

shymexx:

Those pricks got man banned for 10 years and that lol. I just had to leave the forum for a bit, so that they can stop following everywhere like dogs still.. Bare madness happened offline cah man had to tell the brudda who owns the pictures them weirdos were violating, to get his ID and prove the pics were his. And my man being a nutta took it to the next level with the owner of the forum, I swear down.. Bwahahahaha.. I swear him and Seun Osewa are probably still going at it offline, but the guy ain't speaking to me nomore stil... His little thing with Seun got my real IDs shymmex/shymex banned for 10 years each loooooooool... I just sneak in and out of this thing now, I've shifted base to CIF(comment is free) on the GuardianUK.

Looool sware down g, mad ting! is ur donny looking to sue him or suttin?

rass 10 years ya kna! mad ting g, whats CIF saying? is it as live as NL?

Fam i couldnt even remember the rest of what you wrote coz it looks like the mods have hidden it g, wag1 for da the mods always hiding posts these days?
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by Nobody: 9:06pm On Sep 03, 2012
mruknaijaboy:
Aint bayo's music da don dat used to make beats for giggs and he says bayo's music at the beginnning of his beats? i think dats the donny still if not i dont even kno who he is still

The mod will hide this post as well - these donnys on here hate my guts. But you gotta be doing something right for anonymous people to hate anonymous person in a virtual world. grin

Yeah, Bayo produced a couple bangers for giggs. That's my boy from back in the day and he does the afrobeats thing as well.

Looool sware down g, mad ting! is ur donny looking to sue him or suttin?

rass 10 years ya kna! mad ting g, whats CIF saying? is it as live as NL?

Fam i couldnt even remember the rest of what you wrote coz it looks like the mods have hidden it g, wag1 for da the mods always hiding posts these days?

Oi, it's peak on this forum.Bwahahahaha... These rasclart pagans don't know what time it is, dem mans take everything too seriously, but turn your back and you would find stealing ya style and that.. Funny lot, truss g..

CIF isn't like this forum, just a bunch of educated middle class English folks talking about politics, Africa, foreign policy, sports, middle east etc. Just intellectual discourse without people stalking you and watching what you do. It's fun if you wanna argue intelligently with intellectuals, but some of these white folks have a little chip on their shoulders when it's a discourse about Africa. They piss me off with that "cut the aids to Africa" and "Africa is a dead zone" crap - and you would sure learn a lot from the academics on there - and the British sense of humour and normal banter is refreshing lol.

Imagine them banning man for 10 years for no reason - I just laughed that shyte off. The mods and owner are on a joke thing, truss.
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by acidtalk: 9:10pm On Sep 03, 2012
Na wa oh!
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by acidtalk: 9:13pm On Sep 03, 2012
Shymmex, na you dem ban for 10years?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigeria’s In-bound Air Passenger Traffic Sustained On Ebola Containment / Warri-itakpe-ajaokuta Rail Line Completed, Ajaokuta to Abuja next Says Minister / Anenih, Akunyili Stranded In Abuja After Arik Aircraft's Toilet Fails To Flush

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.