Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,320 members, 7,808,073 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:44 AM

Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad (23361 Views)

8 Ways To Spot A Nigerian Abroad / How To Spot A Nigerian Abroad / A Shocking Video Of A Nigerian Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by oraclefemi(m): 9:22pm On Sep 03, 2012
acidtalk: Most times it is the odour of the luggage.

Nigerians don't believe in colognes, roll-ons and body sprays, Air-fresheners, canfos and cupboard sprays.
The prefer moving around with the "dusty and damp smell" that emanates from their closets.

WOW i guess we don't bath too..if you're a nigerian and you're spitting this then you just insulted yourself and you're entire generation.
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by Maxdiamond(m): 9:23pm On Sep 03, 2012
acidtalk: ^^^
With all modesty and humility, I have traveled to at least 16 countries both within Africa and Over seas and I will tell you I have personally witnessed more than 95% of the above listed points.

Nigerians are VERY Lousy (even while trying to talk gently). I have seen a situation where the hotel security called their team to come settle a scuffle on the walkway only to find out our fellow Nigerians were only cracking jokes and laughing. The white men thought 'we' were fighting.
story.
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by acidtalk: 9:26pm On Sep 03, 2012
oraclefemi:

WOW i guess we don't bath too..if you're a nigerian and you're spitting this then you just insulted yourself and you're entire generation.

Chineke!!!
Later if I respond to this fellow they will say I insulted those that commented on my thread.
Moderators will also be quick to hide my post.

See as trouble sit peacefully and yanga wan go wake am.

I will ignore you. Before they start saying ACIDTALK too like quarrel.

1 Like

Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by Nobody: 9:27pm On Sep 03, 2012
acidtalk:

My English teacher at the Adult Night School told me just last week that change is wrong. I
. Tell your english teAcher to go back to school.
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by manny4life(m): 9:31pm On Sep 03, 2012
Rudebwoy: . Tell your english teAcher to go back to school.

Lol... seconded

That's how they give FALSE and MISLEADING information. In what stores at least here in my city/state or even local metro area do they call actual money "balance"?

2 Likes

Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by UNLEASHED(m): 10:44pm On Sep 03, 2012
Neega slaggin off fellow neegaz sad SMH
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by acidtalk: 10:54pm On Sep 03, 2012
UNLEASHED: Neega slaggin off fellow neegaz sad SMH

If stating the truth is what you call slagging, then no wonder we keep giving out chietancy titles to those who have looted our treasury and made poverty a brand identity in Nigeria.

Please let us face the truth for once.
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by mruknaijaboy(m): 10:59pm On Sep 03, 2012
acidtalk:

If stating the truth is what you call slagging, then no wonder we keep giving out chietancy titles to those who have looted our treasury and made poverty a brand identity in Nigeria.

bros no mind them, na only di truth fit free us
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by acidtalk: 11:04pm On Sep 03, 2012
Even Anini, Shina Rambo, Clifford Orji and Reverend King all join no get 10years as prison sentence omo I will rather go on self exile before them nab me 'cus my own fit worse pass.
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by erico2k2(m): 11:21pm On Sep 03, 2012
asdf:jkl ha ha :
Is true sha n also naija pple can be annoyin at times
cant you see the OP is very silly and you are encouraging him, where else or what else are you meant to say when you reach your stop on a BUS in Ngeria?
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by guttentag(m): 11:23pm On Sep 03, 2012
[quote author=mruknaijaboy]i dont know about the weirdest ways to identify a nigerian but the ways i can identify nigerians overall here in the uk

nigerians always have a certain look to them, as ghanians and jamaicans do also, you can tell the difference between a jamaican and a nigerian but some people find it difficult to distinct ghanians and nigerians over here except for when someone is really dark they will assume they are from ghana,but wether a nigerian is born here in the UK or come from overseas you can always tell from their face

It is different identifying nigerians overall from Nigerians from abroad in the UK and nigerians who are born and raised in the uk

Ways I can identify a nigerian from abroad in the UK:

Their dress sense - I can identify a nigerian from abroad from their dress sense, when they go clubbing they always seem to wear blazers and tight trousers/jeans or as they call them skinny jeans, and they always have some sort of mowhawk hairstyle which looks absoloutely ridiculous, check out uk nigerian artists 2kriss to know what im talking about

Talking Loud and Aggressively
- When a nigerian from abroad is here in the uk when they are on the phone the whole world can hear their conversation, their is no such thing as them talking quitely, they are shouting on the phone in public to disturb everyone with their conversation, my mum is also another one who doesn't know how to talk quitely when shes talking to someone on the phone lol

And i noticed everything that is said sounds aggressive, even one girl that went to my university from abroad and i got her number, i couldn't stand her because everytime i tried to be funny and make jokes with her the way she replied always sounded so rude because of her tone of voice lol, i know she liked me and she used to call me all the time but i just couldn't take it lol

The smell of their clothes - There is always a distinct smell of food that they have on their clothes, i can pin point what the exact food their clothes smells of but it is the same smell all the time, and i dont find it too pleasant either to be honest
Are u a dog? Why are u Sniffing tru Pple clothes? ]
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by vislabraye(m): 11:32pm On Sep 03, 2012
Some one once said that when you travel abroad, the people you should avoid are Nigerians.

There are lots of similar cases. One holiday, my sister was in a shopping mall in Ghana. She was looking for some clothes to buy only for someone to hold her hand pulled her. He said " I have what you're looking for"

.Then She turned to ask him you be Nigerian. He said yes.

There's another story I heard that made me laugh. Some Nigerians were taking a drive in Cote d Voire. They met a man urinating on the street. Unknown to the man, there was a patrol vehicle close by with some law enforcement officers.
When the officers saw him, they shouted. "You Nigerian we don't behave like this in our country"
The friends who were in the vehicle heard this and were enraged. They wanted to confront the officers but did not.
Later on, they met the man who urinated on the street only to discover he was a Nigerian.
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by lastpage: 11:38pm On Sep 03, 2012
dozymars:

DO YOU KNOW THAT NIGERIANS ARE THE HAPPIEST PEOPLE ON EARTH, NIGERIANS ARE ALSO ONE OF THE MOST HOSPITABLE PEOPLE.
SO WHY DID'NT YOU MENTION THAT.
STOP DUELING ON THE NEGATIVE ASPECT. APPRECIATE YOUR PEOPLE AND BE A GOOD AMBASSADOR.

oraclefemi: WOW i guess we don't bath too grin ..if you're a Nigerian and you're spitting this then you just insulted yourself and you're entire generation.
Have you not heard of the "Omo'ale ton'fi owo osi juuwe ile Baba re"? wink wink

They are "lost and confused"......being neither 'Nigerian' nor 'White-man'! grin grin
They dont see anything good in there own "ORIGINS"......small time, then go say 'Onyebeeke' is racist! shocked shocked grin

Lastpage!
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by mruknaijaboy(m): 11:48pm On Sep 03, 2012
guttentag: Are u a dog? Why are u Sniffing tru Pple clothes?

are you an slowpoke? abi your a nicom poop?

I can smell the scent of their clothes when within a close distance when I am having an conversation with them

how can a person sniff through somebodys clothes in public while having a conversation with them? is that what an slowpoke backwards chimpanzee like yourself does? you don dey madt abi?
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by erico2k2(m): 11:51pm On Sep 03, 2012
vislabraye: Some one once said that when you travel abroad, the people you should avoid are Nigerians.

There are lots of similar cases. One holiday, my sister was in a shopping mall in Ghana. She was looking for some clothes to buy only for someone to hold her hand pulled her. He said " I have what you're looking for"

.Then She turned to ask him you be Nigerian. He said yes.

There's another story I heard that made me laugh. Some Nigerians were taking a drive in Cote d Voire. They met a man urinating on the street. Unknown to the man, there was a patrol vehicle close by with some law enforcement officers.
When the officers saw him, they shouted. "You Nigerian we don't behave like this in our country"
The friends who were in the vehicle heard this and were enraged. They wanted to confront the officers but did not.
Later on, they met the man who urinated on the street only to discover he was a Nigerian.
And your point is?whats the difference between Ghana and Nigeria? and about someone urinating, come to the high streets on a weekends and see Men and Women weeing on the corners risking it even when they stand to pay a fine when caught
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by erico2k2(m): 11:53pm On Sep 03, 2012
acidtalk:

NONSENSE!!!
Sufferying and smiling you mean?
Which Nigerians are the happiest in the world?

A nigeria makes heavy and spend it all in one night at the club or mall making noise and shouting like they do in Oshodi, Ojuelegba and Obalende. Then go about borrowing money from friends and enemies the next morning. Thereafter become a ghost because they are hiding from their creditors.

Nigerians are wasteful and if wastefullness is what you term is being Happy, no wonder your politicians are all Happy at your expence.

you have just told us you are very SAD and UNHAPPY
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by charlsecy4(m): 11:55pm On Sep 03, 2012
acidtalk: My English teacher at the Adult Night School told me just last week that change is wrong. I

Please, let's not argue over this. Kindly check your dictionary.

I ask just one favour of you; inform your so-called English teacher when you have learnt the truth.
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by erico2k2(m): 11:56pm On Sep 03, 2012
dasparrow:

You should have said "many" or "most" Nigerians but to generalize that all Nigerians don't believe in colognes, roll-ons, body spray is a stereotype. My family and I are Nigerians and I still remember as a child sneeking into my older siblings' room and using their deodorants and roll ons. This was back in the mid to late 80s and beyond. My mom's younger sister is also an avid user of deodorant which she applies after taking her morning and evening shower/bath. I also use deodorants and light scented colognes. I guess personal hygiene just happens to run in my family. I am not disputing that you don't have Nigerians who don't use deodorants and the likes but to insinuate that all Nigerians don't use deodorants is not only false but also prejudice and malicious.
Ignore that poster, they are ignorant and uneducated.

2 Likes

Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by Nobody: 12:04am On Sep 04, 2012
acidtalk: Whether Home or Abroad wherever you come across a Nigeria you might be skeptical of their origin (usually place of birth). But as soon as you hear a Nigerian who grew up and have a better part of their life spent in Nigeria, you can easily tell from their use of words and pronunciation.

Below are some of the words and pronunciations used by Nigerians both within Nigeria and outside.

* I want to Drop : this is when they are making their intention know they want to alight from a bus, taxi or car.

* Where's my change : this is to show they are waiting to collect their balance after a purchase.

* God dey : they are expressing their dissapointment in an event or feel cheating.

* E go better : When they believe there's hope in a current situation they are presently not happy about.

Others are :
* Jumpig of queues

* Speaking in loud voice

* Rushing to take a train, cab or bus and also in a hurry to alight
* Talking for hours and shouting while making use of a public phone boot.

* Talking so loud on the Hotel hallway.

* The highest spender in clubs, bars, malls and event centre.

* the man that keeps talking aloud inside the cinema.

More to come soon.
Mtcheeew! Rubbish thread meant to tarnish our image abroad *Goes back to my suya and bottle of chilled Gulder* Ewu Hausa@ OP.
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by tblaze001: 12:29am On Sep 04, 2012
Brrrr!!!!! Must we behave like d white... Abegi we r proud of ourselves... U call it being lousy we call it xprssion... grin cheesy abi na culture!!!? gringringringringringrin

1 Like

Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by brain54(m): 12:33am On Sep 04, 2012
omo my battery don low oh...
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by UNLEASHED(m): 12:52am On Sep 04, 2012
acidtalk:

If stating the truth Is what you call slagging, then no wonder we keep giving out chietancy titles to those who have looted our treasury and made poverty a brand identity in Nigeria.

I like to believe you stated the truth then? You did a marvellous job mate and I wasn't expecting much. You really must be happy now init?
Now those cabbage you spewed there, does it make you "non-nigerian"? Caucasian? Superhuman? Plus in my little brain, I just can't relate your rants about giving chieftancy title to the people looting your National treasury with what you said about Nigerian's primitive behaviours abroad.

Even your next post after you quoted mine says it all that your rants are mainly about politics, poverty and injustice. Whichever way any of the last two has affected you mate, don't worry you're not the only one that's being paranoid. Taking it out on how some people behave abroad is just totally wrong.
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by Godogwu: 1:31am On Sep 04, 2012
Well I guess it depends on how well the Nigerian abroad ( visitor or resident ) is educated and exposed. Ive been in and out of US for about 2years ( student) and I can pick out an African atleast 90% of the time but I can't really say picking out a Nigerian is easy. I can only tell maybe by the accent or the way they carry themselves. We tend to be loud when having fun, chatting ( maybe about football), arguments and all but in general Nigerians can turn almost any event to a party....and I'll also say we can be extravagant. This same way Nigerians can be economical too which helps us "show off" sometimes because we save to spend.. I really don't agree with most of what the poster is saying tho....on average an educated Nigerians English is way more polished and better than any other Africans.
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by gbokukueba(m): 7:21am On Sep 04, 2012
@AcidTalk,

with all due respect you are very wrong because you have just generalized based on your experience apparently you have been seeing a particular set of people which has shaped your opinion. I have been living abroad for about 6 months now and i can tell you the easiest way to identify a Nigerian is our accent, language and to an extend our looks.

I am sure you are telling us what you do abroad cos i am not sure i have used any of the actions you listed to identify Nigerian abroad.
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by OMARMIA(f): 7:27am On Sep 04, 2012
[i][/i][quote author=Brand_new]I can relate those points listed by OP to Lagosians. Not all Nigerians are generally like that but you are bound to pick up most of those traits if you`ve spent some time in Lasigidi
Re: Weirdest Ways To Identify A Nigerian Abroad by OMARMIA(f): 7:47am On Sep 04, 2012
Nigerians we are very unique people and we have us in different calibers.... Most of us can be very weird and ubelivable with the tins we do.but one thing I know for sure is that nigerians are really good people,no mata wht D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ do out there or the character der potray.like I said we have differnt calibres of peeps in nigeria.#our charcter is wht makes us very unique#

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Subsidy: FCT To Develop Lanes As FRSC Wants Nigerians To Embrace Bicycles / Nigeria’s In-bound Air Passenger Traffic Sustained On Ebola Containment / South Africa Critical Skill Visa And Permanent Resident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.