Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,835 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:43 PM

Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities (3951 Views)

Atiku Bagudu Sitting On The Floor With Students In Their School (Photo) / 10 African Countries With The Highest Military Strength And Fire Power / Picture Of President GEJ With Students Of The New Almajiri School In Sokoto (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities by Nebeuwa(m): 1:57am On Sep 03, 2012
Nigeria tops African countries with students in US varsities

Written by Kunle Awosiyan, Lagos
Monday, 03 September 2012

NIGERIA leads countries with highest number of foreign students from Africa currently studying in American universities and colleges, an international student counsellor, Dr Mervyn Fishback, has said.

He said this at a seminar to recruit Nigerian candidates to the School of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, South Baylo University, United States of America, at the weekend.

According to him, not less than 7,100 Nigerians were engaging in various academic programmes in US varsities and colleges, followed by Kenya with 4,000; Ghana 2,500 and Tanzania, over 2000 students.

Fishback, who had been in the profession of recruiting students for US varsities and colleges for over 34 years, said he was impressed by the population of Nigerians in the US schools and had visited the country to introduce new programmes, Masters of Science in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, to intending Nigerian candidates.

As part of plans to attract the students, Fishback said the university would give scholarship to five Nigerian candidates to study Acupuncture in the US, after which it would set up a medical outfit in Lagos to train more people in the oriental medicine.

The tuition fee for the three-year programme, according to Fishback, is $5,000 per year, describing it as one of the cheapest in the United States.

However, chairman of the Academic Staff Union of University of Lagos, Dr Karo Ogbinaka, has described the high population of Nigerians in foreign universities as pathetic for the country.

“It shows that parents prefer to enrol their children abroad because of the poor quality of education in Nigeria. It is negative.

Those who travel abroad to study are not enjoying free education over there. They have engaged in serious foreign exchange, which perhaps is not good for our economy. They have taken our money out of the country to develop US economy,” he lamented.

Ogbinaka, however, called for the expansion of the university system in the country, so as to attract foreign students and teachers, stressing that there was the need for university autonomy.

“The government must be stable with its policies, as there are too many contradictions in the policies at present,” he added.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/front-page-news/46920-nigeria-tops-african-countries-with-students-in-us-varsities
Re: Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities by Callotti: 1:58am On Sep 03, 2012
To go sUkOO for America sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet I nor go lie! cool
I enjoyed myself. I never knew how brilliant I was. . .till I entered a classroom full of white people!
Oyinbo peeps are a challenge I swear! Forget the other 'races'!grin

Ogbinaka, however, called for the expansion of the university system in the country, so as to attract foreign students and teachers, stressing that there was the need for university autonomy.

Hmmmm! No further comment for now. kiss
Re: Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities by Nobody: 2:12am On Sep 03, 2012
Callotti: To go sUkOO for America sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet I nor go lie! cool
I enjoyed myself. I never knew how brilliant I was. . .till I entered a classroom full of white people!
Oyinbo peeps are a challenge I swear! Forget the other 'races'!grin

Hmmmm! No further comment for now. kiss

Mu che che che che!

I swear!! Just this week we were given a test and I scored 100%. I placed my script down on the table and left to ease myself. From my corner-eye, I saw 2 of my white female classmates flip my paper over to look at my score. When I returned they started asking me where I was from and other questions about myself. Hohohohoho!

Me sef nor know say I get sense like this ooo! cheesy
Re: Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities by Nebeuwa(m): 2:17am On Sep 03, 2012
Nigerian students are everywhere these days. And it is no surprise that Nigerian students would flock to the United States to get a college education.

When I was in undergrad, I was shocked to see the number of foreign students in my classes. There were plenty of students from South Korea, China, India, Nigeria and Ethiopia. And none of the students had any plan on going back to their home countries.

The United States continues to educate the world, even if our own citizens are not "making the grade" to get into these universities.
Re: Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities by PhysicsQED(m): 2:22am On Sep 03, 2012
South Baylo University?

No comment.
Re: Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities by ektbear: 2:22am On Sep 03, 2012
eh...nigeria is also a lot more populated than any other african country
Re: Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities by Nebeuwa(m): 2:25am On Sep 03, 2012
PhysicsQED: South Baylo University?

No comment.

I've never even heard of that university. It might be one of those "universities" similar to Phoenix "University" or Lincoln Tech.
Re: Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities by Callotti: 3:39am On Sep 03, 2012
pDude:

Mu che che che che!

I swear!! Just this week we were given a test and I scored 100%. I placed my script down on the table and left to ease myself. From my corner-eye, I saw 2 of my white female classmates flip my paper over to look at my score. When I returned they started asking me where I was from and other questions about myself. Hohohohoho!

Tell me abourrit.
I mean. . .the environment stimulates your brain cells. In Nigeria. . .a whole pharmacist go take im brain dey sell 'date-ra-pe drug to kill FACEBOOK WOMEN! Only socio-economic crimes. Arrrrrrrrrrrrantus Nonsensicus!!! angry
Just the fact that they see you as a 'dunce' with an accent is enough to show them 'KPE-KPE' plus "KPE-KPE-YE"!
Now the Nigerian mumu is asking for 'what' to attract teachers/students and all what not to be kidnapped for ritual in Nigeria?
LWKMD!!!!

Saaaaaaaaaaay WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAT? cheesy

Funny thing. . .most of these noise-makers have THEIR OWN CHILDREN SCHOOLING IN GHANA!!!
Sheeeeeeeeeeeesh!!!
Re: Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities by Nobody: 3:53am On Sep 03, 2012
Callotti:

Tell me abourrit.
I mean. . .the environment stimulates your brain cells. In Nigeria. . .a whole pharmacist go take im brain dey sell 'date-ra-pe drug to kill FACEBOOK WOMEN! Only socio-economic crimes. Arrrrrrrrrrrrantus Nonsensicus!!! angry
Just the fact that they see you as a 'dunce' with an accent is enough to show them 'KPE-KPE' plus "KPE-KPE-yYE"!
Now the Nigerian mumu is asking for 'what' to attract teachers/students and all what not to be kidnapped for ritual in Nigeria?
LWKMD!!!!

Saaaaaaaaaaay WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAT? cheesy

Funny thing. . .most of these noise-makers have THEIR OWN CHILDREN SCHOOLING IN GHANA!!!
Sheeeeeeeeeeeesh!!!

I TELL YA cheesy

And I go still show them more. grin cos dem nefa see anytin yet.
Re: Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities by Nobody: 4:51am On Sep 03, 2012
ekt_bear: eh...nigeria is also a lot more populated than any other african country
True.......good point!!
Re: Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities by mekuslogan: 4:58am On Sep 03, 2012
Nigeria = 150 million and only 7000 students in the USA
Kenya = less 40 million and 4000 students in the USA
Do the math, Kenya is better.
Re: Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities by Nobody: 5:22am On Sep 03, 2012
^^u did not consider other Nigerians & Kenyans in other countries like Uk, ........
Nigeria is always better!! ALWAYS!!
Re: Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities by Nobody: 5:24am On Sep 03, 2012
B.S

Maybe they meant 7000/ US varsity.

Florida universities alone has up to 2500-3000 students. c'mon!!!
Re: Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities by ayobase(m): 7:41am On Sep 03, 2012
pDude:

Mu che che che che!

Pdude....no start another episode for that place wwy go result to ''My experience with white girls for scoring 100%'' on NL.
We are brilliant in Africa, especially Nigerians....we have been conditioned to read under stress and 'discombulated' harsh weather conditions...it becomes so eeeeasy when we are there (only for the headworking ones though)
Re: Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities by billante(m): 8:58am On Sep 03, 2012
Nigeria can't presently satisfy its university enrolment demand of its citizen! Even though it has d highest number of universities in africa! So I don't see the issue that so many of nigerians are studing abroad as a negative thing!! Federal goverment has a university in every state, also every state has its own university,some even have more than one,still demand is still sky rocketing....I think d issue is more of an opportunity than something to yab nigeria about!!!
Re: Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities by TrustZee(m): 9:03am On Sep 03, 2012
Gr8
Re: Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities by igbo2011(m): 7:37am On Sep 23, 2012
We can get all the degrees we want but at the end of the day we serve the west with our education. We get a PHD in Civil Engineering to work for an American firm and biuld their wealth. We get degrees in computer science to work for Apple to build America. We get a degree in mechanical engineering to work for Ford. We get degrees in finance or accounting to work for goldman sachs or PWC. So with all these degrees we become educated servants to the west. Unless we start to RUN our own businesses then our degrees are useless.

Also with all these so called educated Africans why is it that we always go for foreigners to fix anything in Africa. We gt foreign engineers, doctors, etc. If our education was served to fix Africa's problems we would look inward instead of outward.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities by Nobody: 6:36pm On Sep 23, 2012
igbo2011: We can get all the degrees we want but at the end of the day we serve the west with our education. We get a PHD in Civil Engineering to work for an American firm and biuld their wealth. We get degrees in computer science to work for Apple to build America. We get a degree in mechanical engineering to work for Ford. We get degrees in finance or accounting to work for goldman sachs or PWC. So with all these degrees we become educated servants to the west. Unless we start to RUN our own businesses then our degrees are useless.

Also with all these so called educated Africans why is it that we always go for foreigners to fix anything in Africa. We gt foreign engineers, doctors, etc. If our education was served to fix Africa's problems we would look inward instead of outward.

This comment is what essentially differentiates Asia from Africa. I have a couple of Asian friends-Japanese and Chinese to be precise-who can't wait to complete their program and jet off to their home countries. Asians take the knowledge home while Africans stay put in the West.
Re: Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities by SkyBlue1: 6:50pm On Sep 23, 2012
How on earth is this even news or something to be 'proud' of? Nigeria is easily the most populated country in Africa. It also says more about our educational system which our citizens RUN from, than it does about American universities.
Re: Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities by igbo2011(m): 8:34pm On Sep 23, 2012
bayooooooo:

This comment is what essentially differentiates Asia from Africa. I have a couple of Asian friends-Japanese and Chinese to be precise-who can't wait to complete their program and jet off to their home countries. Asians take the knowledge home while Africans stay put in the West.

We are educated servants. Japanese and Chinese will serve Asia before America. Africans serve America before Africa. We are the only people who use education to serve other people instead of serving Africa. We have all these Nigerian doctors in America but Nigeria has a low health expectancy, high child and mother mortality rate.

Also we value Harvard over everything. Harvard was NOT meant to serve AFRICA!! Even my dad tells me to go to Harvard but if Harvard Business School was so good why is many of the companies in Africa ran by foreigners. Why can't Harvard Business School alum run those? Did you know that Ibeto went to school in Nigeria, Dangote in Egypt and Innocent Chukwuma didn't even finish high school. You DON'T NEED HARVARD!! Chukwuma has started a car manufacturing company in Africa without Harvard. Dangote started cement without Harvard. Ibeto is doing Hotels and auto parts without Harvard. You don't need western education for business. Us Africans just worship our oppressors so much.

Did you know that There is a scholarship called the Rhodes Scholarship and the winners go to Oxford (or Cambridge I forgot) to study. But Cecil Rhodes was a colonizers who killed many Africans. Would Jewish people accept a Hitelr scholarship? So why do we worship people who did the most damge to us. That is like the love of the aggressor syndrome.
Re: Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities by Rossikk(m): 8:42pm On Sep 23, 2012
mekuslogan: Nigeria = 150 million and only 7000 students in the USA
Kenya = less 40 million and 4000 students in the USA
Do the math, Kenya is better.

Better in what sense?
Re: Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities by Rossikk(m): 8:45pm On Sep 23, 2012
billante: Nigeria can't presently satisfy its university enrolment demand of its citizen! Even though it has d highest number of universities in africa! So I don't see the issue that so many of nigerians are studing abroad as a negative thing!! Federal goverment has a university in every state, also every state has its own university,some even have more than one,still demand is still sky rocketing....I think d issue is more of an opportunity than something to yab nigeria about!!!

Absolutely. China has five times more students in America than all the African nations combined. Same as India. And yet these are the new global superpowers. Having large numbers of your people schooling abroad is actually a good sign that your country is headed somewhere. Knowledge is power and strength.
Re: Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities by Horus(m): 9:16pm On Sep 23, 2012
Rossikk:

Having large numbers of your people schooling abroad is actually a good sign that your country is headed somewhere. Knowledge is power and strength.

It is good only if they return to Africa to share this precious knowledge, but if they stay abroad there is no benefit for Africa.
Re: Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:44pm On Sep 23, 2012
igbo2011: We can get all the degrees we want but at the end of the day we serve the west with our education. We get a PHD in Civil Engineering to work for an American firm and biuld their wealth. We get degrees in computer science to work for Apple to build America. We get a degree in mechanical engineering to work for Ford. We get degrees in finance or accounting to work for goldman sachs or PWC. So with all these degrees we become educated servants to the west. Unless we start to RUN our own businesses then our degrees are useless.

^^^The problem is that knowledge and education isn't rewarded in this country as it should be; unlike in the past when communities collectively sponsored their wards up to university level.....and when they graduate, are feted and respected by all.

Check out the billionaires/millionaires in Nigeria today, compared against the wealthy in countries like the USA, UK, India and China (forget Russia, as their situation mirrors ours a bit), and you'll notice that most of their uber-rich aquired their wealth through knowledge and education.

The moment we make teaching (from primary to university level) an attractive profession with lots of perks like it was in the past, and reward and recognize academic excellence, that's when we'll start to see a change in our fortunes as a country.....Nigeria doesn't take academics as seriously as they should.

(1) (Reply)

Revealed: Kanu's Handwritten Letter Of Apology. / After Rubbishing $30bn Deal With China Buhari Goes Begging For $2bn From China / Nnamdi Kanu Speakin And Answering Questions In Japan....very Powerful

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.