Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,807 members, 7,802,582 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:44 PM

Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin (2716 Views)

Is Alcohol Consumption Sinful Enough To Take One To Hell? / Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin? / Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by swiftsulex(m): 2:33pm On Sep 03, 2012
I read this article on vanguard and was wondering if taking alcohol is a sin
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/09/alcohol-sales-surge-in-nigeria-despite-rising-religious-beliefs/
here is the article from the site.
Alcohol sales surge in Nigeria despite rising religious beliefs
On September 3, 2012 • In Finance
12:50 am
Tweet
Alcohol sales in Africa are surging because of economic and population growth, a trend rubbing against the grain of another demographic factor defining the region: intense religiosity. By almost any measure, Africa is an exceptionally devout place and the major growth area for Christianity and Islam.
This should have implications for investors, especially in the fast-growing retail and beer sectors: they must navigate sacred sensitivities in areas such as marketing and factor the faithful into forecasts and demographic profiles for the continent’s population of just over a billion.
Brewing executives have said they tone down their advertising campaigns in Africa and these do tend to be conservative. In Nigeria for example, scantily-clad women tend not to feature on billboards promoting beer brands.
Instead, a man in a suit is portrayed sipping a refreshing cold lager, or more often than not, the ad shows just a giant bottle and glass. According to a 2010 report by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life, the number of Muslims living in Sub-Saharan Africa rose 20-fold from 1900 to 234 million.
Christianity has grown at an even more blistering pace, with numbers soaring almost 70-fold over the same period of time to 470 million from just 7million. And in the case of Christianity, much of this growth has been concentrated in Pentecostal churches and other evangelical denominations which, like Islam, tend to frown on alcohol.
The Pew survey also questioned people in 19 African countries about their views on alcohol consumption and found that majority in all but three countries – Cameroon, Chad and Democratic Republic of Congo – found it morally objectionable.
“Views on this issue are related to how religious a person is,” said Neha Sahgal, a Pew research associate. What we found is that in most of the countries those who pray several times a day are more likely to find drinking alcohol morally objectionable than those who pray less,” she told Reuters in a phone interview.
Against this backdrop of piety, the conservative approach to advertising seems to be working. Home to some of the world’s fastest growing economies, Africa’s thirst for beer and spirits is surging: analysts estimate beer volumes rose around 7 percent last year. Excluding the mature South African market, growth reached more than 10 percent. Drinks companies want to maintain the momentum.
SABMiller is investing up to $2.5 billion over the next five years to build and renovate breweries on the continent. African sales of rival Diageo, the maker of Guinness, have risen by an average 15 percent in each of the last five years, accounting for 14 percent of the group’s total.
Nigeria’s 160 million people are now the world’s second biggest consumer of Guinness, after Britain, and analysts expect it to take the number one slot within a couple of years. Cameroon, with a much smaller population of around 20 million, is the fifth biggest.
In Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country, which is evenly divided between Islam and Christianity, church and mosque numbers are exploding alongside beer consumption. Beer turnover in Nigeria is growing faster than its economy. “At the moment, beer consumption is about 19.5 million hectoliters in 2012 and growing at about 8-9 percent per annum,” said Esili Eigbe, an analyst at Stanbic IBTC, who covers the brewery sector.
A number of factors could explain this. Africa’s population is young and many of the region’s converts find their religious zeal only as they grow a little older. In any case, most people’s drinking peaks in their 20s. And a lot of Africans, like a lot of people on other continents, are both religious and thirsty.
“People’s sense of morality sometimes doesn’t correspond with their behaviour. This is not unique to Africa,” said Sahgal, an expert on polling on religious issues. Some Africans are perfectly comfortable with this fact. “Islam advises against alcohol but does not force you. I drink to help me relax after a hard day’s work,” said Wasiu Abudu, a 42-year-old auto mechanic who lives in Lagos.
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by truthislight: 2:54pm On Sep 03, 2012
Why not highlight some of the extractions on the thread here?
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by Ptolomeus(m): 9:55pm On Sep 03, 2012
The Bible says that Jesus ate greedily: sipping wine and frequented pr0stitutes.
Why would it be sin to drink?
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:13pm On Sep 03, 2012
Ptolomeus: The Bible says that Jesus ate greedily: sipping wine and frequented pr0stitutes.

i agree. there is nothing wrong with drinking now and then.

also isnt drinking part of core xtian beliefs that bread & wine communion thing>>
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by ijawkid(m): 10:29pm On Sep 03, 2012
Alcohol consumption isn't a sin....

Drunkenness and over drinking is what is wrong....

2 Likes

Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by ijawkid(m): 10:31pm On Sep 03, 2012
Ptolomeus: The Bible says that Jesus ate greedily: sipping wine and frequented pr0stitutes.

Hmmmm......

Jesus ate greedily??

It seems u were d one who gave him d plenty of food to eat.....
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:34pm On Sep 03, 2012
ijawkid:

Hmmmm......

Jesus ate greedily??

yes jesus ate greedily. even before he was about to die, he was thinking of food:

Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by plappville(f): 10:53pm On Sep 03, 2012
Alcohol events recorded in the bible resulted to negetive outcome.The bible n no were prohibits drinking neither did it promoted it. The book of Provarb gave some warning though.

Job 1:4-5
4 And his sons went and feasted in their houses, every one his day; and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them.

5 And it was so, when the days of their feasting were gone about, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all: for Job said, It may be that my sons have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts. Thus did Job continually.
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by Nobody: 11:12pm On Sep 03, 2012
plappville: Alcohol events recorded in the bible resulted to negetive outcome.The bible n no were prohibits drinking neither did it promoted it. The book of Provarb gave some warning though.

4 And his sons went and feasted in their houses, every one his day; and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them.

5 And it was so, when the days of their feasting were gone about, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all: for Job said, It may be that my sons have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts. Thus did Job continually.

I agree.

Timothy took a little wine for a stomach ailment and Paul asked the believers do not drink excess wine but to be filled with the Spirit.

For any Christian who takes wine, if this puts a stumbling block before a weak believer he should avoid it.
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by Goshen360(m): 12:14am On Sep 04, 2012
Paul told Timothy to drink a little wine for the sake of his stomach? - What kind of wine and why do pray to have the stomach problem that timothy had

Jesus turned water into wine? - What kind of wine? Strong wine? You must be kidding. Get your bible and STUDY, not reading like newspaper.

Jesus had the communion with wine? What kind of wine and why don't you take strong wine to observe the communion? Mtcheww

You guys should stop lifting scriptures just to back up your worldliness. Drinking "Alcohol" is a sin but drinking wine (non-alcoholic) is not a sin......simple!
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by CrazyMan(m): 12:25am On Sep 04, 2012
plappville: Alcohol events recorded in the bible resulted to negetive outcome.The bible n no were prohibits drinking neither did it promoted it. The book of Provarb gave some warning though.

Allow me to further prove it with this passage...

Those who linger over wine,
who go to sample bowls of mixed wine.

31 Do not gaze at wine when it is red,
when it sparkles in the cup,
when it goes down smoothly!

32 In the end it bites like a snake
and poisons like a viper.

33 Your eyes will see strange sights,
and your mind will imagine confusing things.

34 You will be like one sleeping on the high seas,
lying on top of the rigging.

35 "They hit me," you will say, "but I'm not hurt!
They beat me, but I don't feel it!
When will I wake up
so I can find another drink?"

frosbel: I agree.

Timothy took a little wine for a stomach ailment and Paul asked the believers do not drink excess wine but to be filled with the Spirit.

For any Christian who takes wine, if this puts a stumbling block before a weak believer he should avoid it.
True!
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by CrazyMan(m): 12:27am On Sep 04, 2012
Oops sorry the passage is proverbs 23:30-35...
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by Nobody: 12:28am On Sep 04, 2012
Let us be careful, this is exactly how the pharisees accused Christ of drinking wine and eating with sinners.

Drinking wine is not a sin if done in moderation , just as eating food is not a sin if done modestly.

Show us in the Bible where taking wine is classified as sin, there is none.

What the Scriptures emphasize is the sin of drunkenness which obviously means excessive drinking.

1 Like

Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by PastorKun(m): 7:12am On Sep 04, 2012
frosbel: Let us be careful, this is exactly how the pharisees accused Christ of drinking wine and eating with sinners.

Drinking wine is not a sin if done in moderation , just as eating food is not a sin if done modestly.

Show us in the Bible where taking wine is classified as sin, there is none.

What the Scriptures emphasize is the sin of drunkenness which obviously means excessive drinking.

You are absolutely correct.
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by PastorKun(m): 7:17am On Sep 04, 2012
Goshen360: Paul told Timothy to drink a little wine for the sake of his stomach? - What kind of wine and why do pray to have the stomach problem that timothy had

Jesus turned water into wine? - What kind of wine? Strong wine? You must be kidding. Get your bible and STUDY, not reading like newspaper.

Jesus had the communion with wine? What kind of wine and why don't you take strong wine to observe the communion? Mtcheww

You guys should stop lifting scriptures just to back up your worldliness. Drinking "Alcohol" is a sin but drinking wine (non-alcoholic) is not a sin......simple!

Bros I think you shd be the one to answer the questions you raised quoting precise scripture to support your position as it wld appear you are the one trying to lift scripture to support a position. Also note that there is no such thing as 'non alcoholic wine' that terminology is a nigerian oxymoron. Wine by it's very nature is an alcoholic beverage.

1 Like

Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by ijawkid(m): 9:25am On Sep 04, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

yes jesus ate greedily. even before he was about to die, he was thinking of food:

Lol...

Now I knw u got notin to say...

Jesus just ate and yet u say he ate greedily....

Where u the one who gave him d excess food to eat??
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by swiftsulex(m): 9:40am On Sep 04, 2012
can u support your this with a biblical quotation
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by swiftsulex(m): 9:40am On Sep 04, 2012
where is this stated in the bible?
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by Nobody: 11:57am On Sep 04, 2012
swiftsulex:
where is this stated in the bible?
its stated in the Uruguay bible
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by truthislight: 11:58am On Sep 04, 2012
Goshen360: Paul told Timothy to drink a little wine for the sake of his stomach? - What kind of wine and why do pray to have the stomach problem that timothy had

Goshen Goshen, are you really sure of this?

That drinking of alcoholic drink is a sin?
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by Nobody: 12:07pm On Sep 04, 2012
Goshen missed this part of the bible PROVERBS 31 VS 6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by swiftsulex(m): 2:33pm On Sep 04, 2012
obadiah777: its stated in the Uruguay bible
I know u derive pleasure in being controversial and display of foolishness. Even if may be you dont have a religion or believe in christianity,you must not comment in every thread.
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by Nobody: 3:47pm On Sep 04, 2012
swiftsulex:
I know u derive pleasure in being controversial and display of foolishness. Even if may be you dont have a religion or believe in christianity,you must not comment in every thread.
but i love commenting in every thread. this is an open forum i believe, right ? grin and you fail to see the joke in the statement. Ptolomeus is from Uruguay. thats the joke
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by JeSoul(f): 4:29pm On Sep 04, 2012
Did Jesus Drink Alcohol? - Religion - Nairaland
https://www.nairaland.com/686684/did-jesus-drink-alcohol

Big brother Goshen how body now? smiley

Ejo reconsider your take on this topic ehn...

Uncle kunle, how goes it? smiley what was the name of that thread that went several pages on this topic? I think it was you, Ola, Image and a few others...
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by JeSoul(f): 4:37pm On Sep 04, 2012
Pagan9ja, ooohh mind yaself now. You're stoking the fire with that picshure. Where's that gentleman I know in there ehn?
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by PastorKun(m): 5:02pm On Sep 04, 2012
JeSoul: Did Jesus Drink Alcohol? - Religion - Nairaland

Uncle kunle, how goes it? smiley what was the name of that thread that went several pages on this topic? I think it was you, Ola, Image and a few others...

Awwww! Darling Jesoul is back smiley why did you stay off the forum for so long? Missed ya kiss
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by TheShopKeeper(m): 5:42pm On Sep 04, 2012
Drinking wine is not a sin if taken moderately.
But as said by another poster, if this will cause your fellow brother to sin, then stop.
In the bible days, there are different kinds of wine mentioned.
We should be careful not to take the bible out of context.

Some references which might be useful:

A. Old Testament
1. Wine is a gift of God (Gen. 27:28; Ps. 104:14-15; Eccl. 9:7; Hos. 2:8-9; Joel 2:19,24; Amos 9:13; Zech. 10:7).
2. Wine is a part of a sacrificial offering (Exod. 29:40; Lev. 23:13; Num. 15:7,10; 28:14; Deut. 14:26; Jdgs. 9:13).
3. Wine is used as medicine (II Sam. 16:2; Pro. 31:6-7).
4. Wine can be a real problem (Noah – Gen. 9:21; Lot – Gen. 19:33,35; Samson – Jdgs. 16; Nabal – I Sam. 25:36; Uriah – II Sam. 11:13; Amnon – II Sam. 13:28; Elah – I Kgs. 16:9; Benhadad – I Kgs. 20:12; Rulers – Amos 6:6; and Ladies – Amos 4).
5. Wine can be abused (Pro. 20:1; 23:29-35; 31:4-5; Isa. 5:11,22; 19:14; 28:7-8; Hosea 4:11).
6. Wine was prohibited to certain groups (priests on duty, Lev. 10:9; Ezek. 44:21; Nazarites, Numbers 6; and rulers, Pro. 31:4-5; Isa. 56:11-12; Hosea 7:5).
7. Wine is used in an eschatological setting (Amos 9:13; Joel 3:18; Zech. 9:17).

B. Interbiblical
1. Wine in moderation is very helpful (Ecclesiasticus 31:27-33).
2. The rabbis say, "Wine is the greatest of all medicine, where wine is lacking, then drugs are needed." (BB 58b).

C. New Testament
1. Jesus changed a large quantity of water into wine (John 2:1-11).
2. Jesus drank wine (Matt. 11:18-19; Luke 7:33-34; 22:17ff).
3. Peter was accused of drunkenness on "new wine" at Pentecost (Acts 2:13).
4. Wine can be used as medicine (Mark 15:23; Luke 10:34; I Tim. 5:23).
5. Leaders are not to be abusers. This does not mean total abstainers (I Tim. 3:3,8; Titus 1:7; 2:3; I Pet. 4:3).
6. Wine used in eschatological settings (Mathew. 22:1ff; Rev. 19:9).
7. Drunkenness is deplored (Matt. 24:49; Luke 12:45; 21:34; I Cor. 5:11-13; 6:10; Gal. 5:21; I Pet. 4:3; Rom. 13:13-14).

What is not acceptable for christians, is too much consumption which can lead to drunkenness as this is a 'work of the flesh' (Gal 5.21)
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by PastorKun(m): 5:56pm On Sep 04, 2012
@Theshopkeeper
Thanx for all those incisive scriptural references.
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by Ptolomeus(m): 7:21pm On Sep 04, 2012
ijawkid:

Hmmmm......

Jesus ate greedily??

Not for me to answer him, but the bible ...

Exegesis: Matthew verses 16-19
16 But to whom shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the markets, and calling unto their fellows,
17 And they say: 'We played the flute, and you did not dance; we wailed, and you did not mourn.
18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, He hath a devil. 19 The Son of man (Jesus), eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a gluttonous man and a drunkard, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

"The Lord Jesus drank wine" Luke 7:34

I think there is room for doubt: Jesus drank wine (and I did too much) and also was a glutton.
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by truthislight: 10:11pm On Sep 04, 2012
JeSoul: Did Jesus Drink Alcohol? - Religion - Nairaland

@ Goshen
very Good advice to you from some one very very experience in this forum.
Re: Is Alcohol Consumption A Sin by ijawkid(m): 10:15pm On Sep 04, 2012
Ptolomeus:

Not for me to answer him, but the bible ...

Exegesis: Matthew verses 16-19
16 But to whom shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the markets, and calling unto their fellows,
17 And they say: 'We played the flute, and you did not dance; we wailed, and you did not mourn.
18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, He hath a devil. 19 The Son of man (Jesus), eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a gluttonous man and a drunkard, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

"The Lord Jesus drank wine" Luke 7:34

I think there is room for doubt: Jesus drank wine (and I did too much) and also was a glutton.

Lol.....

""They say"".........

Who were d persons saying Jesus was a glutton??

Hypocrites and haters and also critics of that time were the ones who falsely accused Jesus......

They were hypocrites who could see how holy and Good Jesus was but would still be arrogant to acknowledge it....

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Was Not Created. / Happy Birthday To Pope Francis...please Drop Your Wishes Here / Questioning The Implausibilities 2 (reason Over Faith)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.