Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,366 members, 7,808,275 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:43 AM

An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. (50185 Views)

Ideal Car Tyre In Nigeria Market / Whats An Ideal Car For A Young First Time Buyer Architect / Your Ideal Car, Favorite Production Car & Car Manufacturer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by emalekuo(m): 7:29am On Sep 08, 2012
aldirisu91: Hmmmmmmmm.......... This is a serious issue oooo. With this kind of salary level, you are still thinking about buying a car? Your must be too optimist a person. You should visit a Professor of Economics for better counsel.
please shut your mouth......who says someone earning 80k shouldn't buy a car? He is earning 80k does not mean the salary won't grow, he could do so many other things to make additional income or do you think all car owners earn up to 80k. The fact is get what fits into your income. I believe you over 30 and still staying with your uncle or girl friend and don't even know how to drive.

1 Like

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by afrikanns: 7:43am On Sep 08, 2012
Empy v: Mumu you wan turn us to car dealers abi why not try keke napep?

i think we need people with sanity here.

1 Like

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by adefash(m): 7:43am On Sep 08, 2012
Aqva: Try the Mercedes Benz 190. strong and rugged. Fuel consumption is moderate. Hardly gives issues. Also you can try Toyota Carina E. Fuel consumption is low and it is rugged. Golf 3 is also ok. These cars are ok for aveage and low salary earners. Has none of those useless modern electricals found on modern cars that causes a lot of trouble.
I believe you can get these cars for about 700k or thereabout.
what i will advice my fwend is not to spend the entire 700k on buying a car.by car worth 500k, keep 200k incase of emergency @ home or on the car.it 200k will be available to relieve u.
I will advice u go for G3.u get direct tikunbo for 500k 600k and nigerian used 350 400k.good ones.i am saying this because the maintenance is relatively cheap.i have not heard of golf or volkswagen technician but i have heard of honda and benz technician. The reason is that if u buy honda or benz now, u need experts to fix it.u start looking for them all around. And u know the implication of having experts for vehicle.money! Benz 190 that i know usually have no issues and its issues are very manageable.
Any technician can fix golf engine.u are traveling and it develops fault.drive it to okada or bicycle technician.i bet u they will fix it for u.
Another reason hear is family and friend issues.if they see u in honda,toyota or benz, they conclude "money don arive" golf is a small and classy car for convinience that doesnt anounce one unneccesarily.maintenance and fuel consuption of honda and toyota are low but CAN NEVER be lower than golf.
Are u married? Is ur spouse working?

1 Like

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by afrikanns: 7:53am On Sep 08, 2012
Billyonaire:

I googled Golf 3 and this is what I saw. This car above is not recommended for anyone except mechanics. I can only recommend it if you are going for a brand new. OP, there is no time I see this car on the road with AC working. The drivers are always sweating and having red eyes. Most times, people are always pushing it. Except you live outside lagos, do not buy it cos Okada people will so terrorize you....Wait for your time. Invest the little you have. Many people buy cars to augment their social status, if thats your primary motive, then how augmented will your status be with this thing ? my2cents!

nice one byllionaire, though uncomfirmed, wit d put effort, i maximally apreciate this.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by darelar(m): 8:40am On Sep 08, 2012
Every thıngs has to do wıth luck.ıf you are buyıng Gulf3, buy Tokunbo or faırly Used that someone can guarantee you of hıs maıntaınance. Pls do go for manual cos ıs relıable than authomatıc. I started wıth manual ın 08 and I do enjoy ıt but change to Autho ın Feb but gettıng dıscourage now. Best of luck and you wıll not use ıt to Jamm
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by alphaconde(m): 9:02am On Sep 08, 2012
Am an economist, right from school days I hv always argued that a car is an asset but a liquid one, if we can spend money for tv cooking utensil nice clothes leisure and don't find trouble with it why the argument with the car, buying a car substitutes ur transport allowances and saves u a lot of inconveniences, remember a car has a space for 5pple all other tins been equal. The advice u shud listen to is buying an efficient but low cost car. In a couple of years it may round up as same of less cost u transport with publicly. Have u guys asked urselves how much these taxi pple make?

Even @ this I comment my reserve
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Freiburger(m): 9:26am On Sep 08, 2012
Jarus:
Covering your 50km a day by public transport, I believe, is cheaper than owning a car of your own.

To make matters worse, you want to borrow to purchase the car.

My candid advice: forget it for now.
5likes

1 Like

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 10:02am On Sep 08, 2012
Billyonaire: All these people where no get savings to fall back on, but they want to drive moto.

This is a fact.

The OP asked for advice, and that's exactly what he's getting. Buying a car is the easy part, fuelling, insurance, maintenance and unexpected repairs are what drains finances. Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes not and will spend so much on repairs, you'll be in too deep to give up on it, and unable to sell it. The only option left at this point is to either keep throwing money at it, or pretty much run it into the ground (drive it till the wheels fall off).

With an 80,000 Naira per month salary and the loan which will also be an additional liability, I wouldn't advice a car. Sure, some on here will argue they bought their cars on a lower salary, but we have to remember what was feasible two years ago, is not feasible today - higher cost of fuel, which has a knock-on effect on everything else. Parts, services (labour) etc.

I would rather save, and / or invest in something that will generate a return. If I was going to buy a car with a loan and very little savings, on a low monthly salary, I would not even be looking at a car more than five-years-old, yet I'm seeing suggestions for Volkswagen Golf II which ceased production August 1991, making even the newest example 21-years-old. Why would anyone suggest a car that old to anyone who isn't mechanically-minded, or an enthusiast who's buying the car as a long-term project? A Nigerian-used Volkswagen Golf II on a '90 model year will be as dead as a dinosaur, and no good to man or beast.

This is an issue that needs to be tackled in a practical manner, not an emotional one.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by suco50(m): 10:33am On Sep 08, 2012
I read comments for this thread, I tire! Abeg, When did NLanders turned to evil spirits? Or Una be winch? One person go tell Op: buy car, the other go talk: no buy car. Make una free this guy, make hin do hin mind joor. Hin already don make plans to buy car, so just advice him on d type to buy. I don't earn as much as he does and close to a year now, I've been driving a year 2000 Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 toks, auto transmission with fac-fitted ac, which I bought myself for 950K. Theories of economics might not support obtaining loans for liabilities but at times it's easier said than done. Different people do different things for different reasons. I opted to buy a car when I did cos I knew I'll be getting married soon after & I need utmost comfort for myself & my woman whenever we set out for trips. Even the car turn out to be very useful & vital in distance covered during our wedding preparation. Thanks to God, the maintenance of the car has been pocket-friendly & I've got no regrets till now. So Op, if you really need a car, you already have master-advice for the type to purchase, free your mind and be strong, you will make it, it's well.

3 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 11:31am On Sep 08, 2012
DatNiggaAk:

I beg to disagree sir. Except your routine is office-home, home-office. A good low fuel consuming car will cost you less than taking public transport. not to mention the convenience it offers when you have goods/stuff/load to carry.
I use an SUV, live in Ajah and work in VI. I spend an average of 2k per day on fuel. A neighbour that doesn't have a car spends N500 for same trip(to and fro). Sometimes sef, I prefer to drop my car at home and find my way to office by public transport. Reason: if I was getting late, I can easily come down from a public bus and hop a bike. Sometimes, in the midst of the traffic and all those nonsense on road, I feel like dumping my car and taking bike or public transport.

Apart from the social aspect of owning a car, I don't see any big deal in not owning, especially for one with less than 100k income. I have colleagues earning up to 300k, but don't have car.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by olabiz2010: 11:39am On Sep 08, 2012
@OP, i will give you the same candid advice i will give to my blood brother from my experience. If truly you have made up your mind to buy car, kindly go for Nissan Almera 1996 model( Tokunbo) i repeat Tokunbo. Since i have been dealing with cars, I have never seen any car that is so easy to maintain like Almera, it share the same engine with golf and the level of fuel consumption is relatively low. I bet you with enjoy, you can get it around 700k direct from Cotonou

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by tempex88(m): 11:58am On Sep 08, 2012
try add 100k and buy pencil light camry.....watever ur final choice is, mak sure its a toyota.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 12:00pm On Sep 08, 2012
olabiz2010: Since i have been dealing with cars, I have never seen any car that is so easy to maintain like Almera, it share the same engine with golf

The Nissan Almera does NOT share the same engine with any Volkswagen, nor any other mechanical part! You claim to have been "dealing with cars", yet you don't realise the engine in a Nissan and Volkswagen are completely different?

The only thing they have in common is they are Internal Combustion Engines. No other similarity.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by deavicky(m): 12:15pm On Sep 08, 2012
forget about your salary buy a good car like toyota camry pencil light or orobo don't mind your salary becos if you don't acept responsiblity you will be irresponsible my salary is just 50k but i drive Honda halla and toyota camry pencil light.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by olabiz2010: 12:26pm On Sep 08, 2012
Siena:

The Nissan Almera does NOT share the same engine with any Volkswagen, nor any other mechanical part! You claim to have been "dealing with cars", yet you don't realise the engine in a Nissan and Volkswagen are completely different?

The only thing they have in common is they are Internal Combustion Engines. No other similarity.

Don't get me wrong dude,am only refereeing to the rate of fuel consumption
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by mu2sa2: 12:28pm On Sep 08, 2012
olusolajames: i'd advice you take a good investment policy. It could be with an insurance company, probably with Niger Insurance Plc. I bet in less than 5yrs, you'd realize a tangible sum of money. Please invest!
Insurance ke. You mean he should take a loan of 800k and go and give some insurance company? Common, u must be joking! If an insurance needs money it should go and borrow itself.Giving ur money to insurance co is gambling-u may never get it back again.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by bajugbajug(m): 12:57pm On Sep 08, 2012
Am really enjoying ur comments and advice.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by emalekuo(m): 1:24pm On Sep 08, 2012
suco_50: I read comments for this thread, I tire! Abeg, When did NLanders turned to evil spirits? Or Una be winch? One person go tell Op: buy car, the other go talk: no buy car. Make una free this guy, make hin do hin mind joor. Hin already don make plans to buy car, so just advice him on d type to buy. I don't earn as much as he does and close to a year now, I've been driving a year 2000 Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 toks, auto transmission with fac-fitted ac, which I bought myself for 950K. Theories of economics might not support obtaining loans for liabilities but at times it's easier said than done. Different people do different things for different reasons. I opted to buy a car when I did cos I knew I'll be getting married soon after & I need utmost comfort for myself & my woman whenever we set out for trips. Even the car turn out to be very useful & vital in distance covered during our wedding preparation. Thanks to God, the maintenance of the car has been pocket-friendly & I've got no regrets till now. So Op, if you really need a car, you already have master-advice for the type to purchase, free your mind and be strong, you will make it, it's well.
help me tell them, na those wey no fit afford car dey say make he no buy. its a very useful tool. he should just take good care of it.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by bisi16(m): 2:16pm On Sep 08, 2012
aldirisu91: Hmmmmmmmm.......... This is a serious issue oooo. With this kind of salary level, you are still thinking about buying a car? Your must be too optimist a person. You should visit a Professor of Economics for better counsel.
What makes you think an 80k earner can't buy a car? Your comment is silly
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 4:22pm On Sep 08, 2012
bisi16:
What makes you think an 80k earner can't buy a car? Your comment is silly
The comment isnt silly. The OP earns just 80K and he wants to take a loan to buy a car. How will he survive without any moratorium on the loan ? Let him save until he can afford to buy with his cash, thats when 80K will have meaning. The simple truth is, he can not afford a car right now. A lot of people get high BP and stroke cos of debts, the OP might just become one of them if not warned.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by otokx(m): 5:30pm On Sep 08, 2012
nice thread
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 6:14pm On Sep 08, 2012
You can borrow to buy land, to build a house but don't borrow to buy a car except like 50-100k you need to augment the cost.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by solamesin(m): 7:35pm On Sep 08, 2012
Golf 3 will be ok talk of maintenance and second hand value but buy tokunbo to avoid unnecessary spending
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Cool83(m): 11:38pm On Sep 08, 2012
I love this thread,am learning alot,if i want to get a car as a low salary earner,i will only go for the one i can afford in term of maintenance,not all car owners earn upto 80k
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by memorycard1: 7:11am On Sep 09, 2012
some u advising him 2 go 4 Vanagon, do u realize d cost of Tokunbo Vanagon? A clean Tokunbo Vanagon sales b/w 850K to 950K @ present, nd neva gamble ur money wit Nigeria used cars. The best option 4 him is a VW golf 3. Reasons-

1. Cheap 2 purchase (B/W 550K - 650K) depending on weda auto or manuel, AC or without AC
2. Economy (both on fuel nd spare parts)
3. Strong nd durable
4. Has a second hand value (ie can be reforbishd nd sold @ reasonable amt)
5. Volkswagen Mechanics nd spare parts re readly available
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by mastro: 7:46am On Sep 09, 2012
hmm 80k a month, I would first look realistically at my income and the true cost of running a car
so being very optimistic

If you borrow N400k let assume no interest (b/c cooperative)and you pay back over 2 years, that's N17k a month
How much are your cooperative dues I assume at least N10k a month (we have to add this because that's how he has access to loan)
Petrol, full tank a week if doing 300km a week so N5k thus N20k a month

maintenance, service every 5000km will cost at least N10k (every 4 months) N2.5k a month
Tyres and parts assume N40k a year N3k a month

so N60k + monthly on the car this is without food, housing etc, my brother unless you have another income that you are not telling about us running a car is not a realistic proposition for you.

Any guys here that run cheap cars like Golf 3's please tell us your running costs

rent
meals
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by bajugbajug(m): 9:53am On Sep 09, 2012
mastro: hmm 80k a month, I would first look realistically at my income and the true cost of running a car
so being very optimistic

If you borrow N400k let assume no interest (b/c cooperative)and you pay back over 2 years, that's N17k a month
How much are your cooperative dues I assume at least N10k a month (we have to add this because that's how he has access to loan)
Petrol, full tank a week if doing 300km a week so N5k thus N20k a month

maintenance, service every 5000km will cost at least N10k (every 4 months) N2.5k a month
Tyres and parts assume N40k a year N3k a month

so N60k + monthly on the car this is without food, housing etc, my brother unless you have another income that you are not telling about us running a car is not a realistic proposition for you.

Any guys here that run cheap cars like Golf 3's please tell us your running costs

rent
meals

well analysed. Can we av golf 3 user's contribution?
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by sunshineky(m): 10:41am On Sep 09, 2012
Hello Poster,

I bought a 'civic 92 one door' off a friend for 250k changed the engine Άŋϑ tires Άŋϑ I travel everywhere with it- kd-abj - kano.

I plan to sell it b4 dec top some cash Άŋϑ get a 98 civic auto + AC+ auto windows for 550k.

I Άŋϑ my wife earn a combined 150k- didn't have to take an office loan, we entered a 30k monthly contribution.

I used a Golf 3 before my present car, golf has cheap spare parts n mechanics r everywhere but golf 3 main issue is over heating.
Buy Golf 3 wit double radiator. Whether it has AC or not. If u live in d north u maybe be considered a taxi driver if u drive a Golf 2/3.

Else buy any Honda- Accord/Civic btw 96-2000, or Toyota camry same year range, make sure u get AC model for max comfort.

To search cars with good fuel economy, google Miles per gallon of Honda civic 98- this is an example.

with 700k u should buy a 600k car. U can get very good cars off pple trying to sell dere cars to buy somethin bigger. Usually its a lot cheaper dan straight tokunbo.

2 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by EchikaChina: 10:46am On Sep 09, 2012
so a persson with such salary scale cant get Toyota Sienna??
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 11:25am On Sep 09, 2012
Echika China:

Bud, I think you're missing the point here.

Buying the car itself is just the beginning, the initial investment. It's the running costs - insurance, fuelling, maintenance and unexpected repairs that will become an issue, based upon what the OP earns, and then there's the loan repayments. Even if he eats once a day and squats with a pal rent-free, I still can't see how he'll manage.

Mastro was pretty thorough in his analysis, and that estimate could well go up, if the car needs repairs outside of routine maintenance.

1 Like

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Delfino: 11:36am On Sep 09, 2012
deavicky: forget about your salary buy a good car like toyota camry pencil light or orobo don't mind your salary becos if you don't acept responsiblity you will be irresponsible my salary is just 50k but i drive Honda halla and toyota camry pencil light.
. Sombody pls call EFCC to arrest this guy! How u manage buy 2 cars of this sort wif 50k salary in Nigeria My friend pls stop lying!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

10 Reasons That Toyota Corolla Was Crowned Nigeria’s Car Of The Year 2019 / 5 Of The World’s Longest Trucks You Will Never See On Nigerian Roads / Toyota Corolla Emerges Nigeria’s Car Of The Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.