Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:16 PM

An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. (50190 Views)

Ideal Car Tyre In Nigeria Market / Whats An Ideal Car For A Young First Time Buyer Architect / Your Ideal Car, Favorite Production Car & Car Manufacturer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by bajugbajug(m): 10:48am On Sep 04, 2012
hello nairalanders, am a civil servant with a monthly salary of btw 70k and 80k and also have access to loan of about 700k.

I cover over 50miles daily(to and fro)and would need your candid advice on a car that i can buy tht befits my status, budget and easy to maintain.

thanks
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Lexusgs430: 11:39am On Sep 04, 2012
With a salary of N80,000 + a loan facility of N700,000.
Have you factored in loan repayments, maintaining, servicing and fuelling the proposed vehicle and all the current expenses you currently have, to ascertain how all this financial propostion fits into your proposed purchase ?

6 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Zaynee63: 12:08pm On Sep 04, 2012
forget about status man, what you should be asking is whether you really need the car that will be chopping your money. As far i can tell, a car is a liability to an average salary earner and it can only be a necessity if there is a way it increases your productivity at work and in turn translates to additional earnings. Otherwise you dont need it. I for instance cover 50miles/day and I have noticed that while I spend about 5k+ to fuel my car for the week, I spend only about 3k5 if i choose not to drive. So... my 2cents wink

30 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by bajugbajug(m): 2:28pm On Sep 04, 2012
Lexusgs430: With a salary of N80,000 + a loan facility of N700,000.
Have you factored in loan repayments, maintaining, servicing and fuelling the proposed vehicle and all the current expenses you currently have, to ascertain how all this financial propostion fits into your proposed purchase ?
The 700k loan is twice of the savings i already av wit d cooperative.
@zaynee. are u saying dat pple with dat salary scale or range cant afford to buy any good car at all?

2 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by pek(m): 3:07pm On Sep 04, 2012
Before I comment, what is the repayment plan?
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by topmost12: 3:36pm On Sep 04, 2012
He is asking for advice on car to buy, not advice whether to buy or not. I think Honda Civic 96 -98 model should be fine,got low fuel consumption and maintenance cost not high

31 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by bajugbajug(m): 4:21pm On Sep 04, 2012
@topmost tank u for d advice. Wot abt golf 3?

1 Like

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Ikenna351(m): 5:11pm On Sep 04, 2012
bajugbajug: @topmost tank u for d advice. Wot abt golf 3?

Yes, go for the Golf 3. If you can get a tokunbo fuel carbureted engine Golf 3, you will enjoy it. Golf is not just a car, but a ride.

Ikenna.

7 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by bajugbajug(m): 11:54pm On Sep 04, 2012
Auto or manual? Wots d price range?
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by bajugbajug(m): 9:13am On Sep 05, 2012
?
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 9:44am On Sep 05, 2012
Try the Mercedes Benz 190. strong and rugged. Fuel consumption is moderate. Hardly gives issues. Also you can try Toyota Carina E. Fuel consumption is low and it is rugged. Golf 3 is also ok. These cars are ok for aveage and low salary earners. Has none of those useless modern electricals found on modern cars that causes a lot of trouble.
I believe you can get these cars for about 700k or thereabout.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by bajugbajug(m): 12:49pm On Sep 05, 2012
@aqva. tanks. but which is better btw golf 3 auto and manual?
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Ikenna351(m): 1:45pm On Sep 05, 2012
bajugbajug: @aqva. tanks. but which is better btw golf 3 auto and manual?

There is nothing wrong with any of them (even though i dislike auto). It depends on the one you like most and can afford to maintain. Test drive any auto and manual tranny cars and decide which to choose.

Though, I would advise if you are to choose auto tranny, findout the cost of the transmission (to know if you can afford the replacement anytime it fails). Because you may have to replace it sooner than you expect.

Ikenna.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by bajugbajug(m): 1:47am On Sep 06, 2012
A frnd of mine dat once used golf 3 said all d parts are relatively cheap. Pls hw true?

1 Like

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by FindOut(m): 2:59pm On Sep 06, 2012
You should be fine with a Toyota Camry ''Orobo'' (92-96). Or a Nigerian used manual gear baby boy, or a Nigerian used camry thin light. I advise u go for a 4 cylinder engine version of any of these cars , as they have wonderful fuel economy. Also consider a nigerian used Toyota Avensis (Corona)....around year 2000 model.. Note however that if you are buying a nigerian used car, u had better go with a trusted competent mechanic to check it out for you if you are not sure of its history.

1 Like

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by andywaves(m): 4:41pm On Sep 06, 2012
There r many decent cars u can buy with that budget that will be easy on ur pocket in terms of maintenance n fuel
golf 3,
nissan primera 94-97,
mitsubshi galant 94-97
, even a mazda 626
of the same year range n if I would advise buy a manual tranny its easier on d pocket n more fuel efficient and make sure you buy tokunbo u will get more value for your money

5 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by munaco: 6:16pm On Sep 06, 2012
omo u do not really need a car but if u insist, why not go for a small car like kia pinto, or any tokunbo car less than N500,000 (u can still get this car no mind ur naija people)u can still get a nigerian used car but be carefull cos the maintainance and the fueling aspect is the wahala.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Ikenna351(m): 9:36pm On Sep 06, 2012
munaco: omo u do not really need a car but if u insist, why not go for a small car like kia pinto, or any tokunbo car less than N500,000 (u can still get this car no mind ur naija people)u can still get a nigerian used car but be carefull cos the maintainance and the fueling aspect is the wahala.

One doesnt need to wait till he starts earning a million naira monthly to own a car. I was using and maintaining my father's car while i was in the University with my pocket money, singlehandedly. Not once did i seek for financial assistance from dad to keep the car on the road. I wasnt rich, in case you are wondering. The little i was getting was enough. It was possible to do so because i adopted and applied preventative maintenance, to prevent the car breaking down, which would cost much to fix.

Op, get a tokunbo car with your budget. Golf 3 manual tranny is the best choice for you. Look for a fuel carbureted engine one.

I wont advice anyone to use a loan and purchase a Nigerian used car. You need a car that will serve you for 2 good years, without much visits to mechanic workshop, since you will be paying for the loan and wont have much to spend in repairing the abused car on daily basis, if it was a Nigerian used car that you end up buying. By the time the tokunbo car you purchased in good condition start aging and giving you issues, you must have finished paying off the loans.

How could someone claimed that Toyota Camry has a better fuel economy than Golf 3. Anything to prove Camry I4 Consumes less than Golf 3? One need to set aside emotions when matters like this come up. Am not a VW fan, neither am I an I4 fan too. But someone needs our help. The best we could do is to offer a non-biased suggestions. Are you telling me Toyotas dont have their issues? Do you really want us to talk about that? This thing with Nigerians and Toyota!

Op, whatever you do, buy a tokunbo in good condition. Do know that people that earns lower than you do own cars too and aint complaining. Like i always say, DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ!

Ikenna

41 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by FindOut(m): 7:39am On Sep 07, 2012
Ikenna351:

One doesnt need to wait till he starts earning a million naira monthly to own a car. I was using and maintaining my father's car while i was in the University with my pocket money, singlehandedly. Not once did i seek for financial assistance from dad to keep the car on the road. I wasnt rich, in case you are wondering. The little i was getting was enough. It was possible to do so because i adopted and applied preventative maintenance, to prevent the car breaking down, which would cost much to fix.

Op, get a tokunbo car with your budget. Golf 3 manual tranny is the best choice for you. Look for a fuel carbureted engine one.

I wont advice anyone to use a loan and purchase a Nigerian used car. You need a car that will serve you for 2 good years, without much visits to mechanic workshop, since you will be paying for the loan and wont have much to spend in repairing the abused car on daily basis, if it was a Nigerian used car that you end up buying. By the time the tokunbo car you purchased in good condition start aging and giving you issues, you must have finished paying off the loans.

How could someone claimed that Toyota Camry has a better fuel economy than Golf 3. Anything to prove Camry I4 Consumes less than Golf 3? One need to set aside emotions when matters like this come up. Am not a VW fan, neither am I an I4 fan too. But someone needs our help. The best we could do is to offer a non-biased suggestions. Are you telling me Toyotas dont have their issues? Do you really want us to talk about that? This thing with Nigerians and Toyota!

Op, whatever you do, buy a tokunbo in good condition. Do know that people that earns lower than you do own cars too and aint complaining. Like i always say, DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ!

Ikenna

I agree with most of this. However,in my view:

i) Some Nigerian used cars (depending on how well used i.e. terrain, driving frequency & proper maintenance) are far better off than some tokunbo cars of the same brand n model. For many tokunbo cars, u have to first change the tyres (they usually come with almost dead tyres) and battery. and if you r lucky, ur job ends there. A very well used and properly maintained Naija used may wel be a buy and drive. note that some people have cars they only drive on weekends. I personally though would prefer buying a Naija used car whose history i'm familiar with, or i can obtain from service records.

ii) In my last post for example, i recommended 3 toyotas not because they won't develop issues, but because I kno their parts in the market are relatively cheap if they do. & thats aside from their ruggedity (especially the Avensis Corona & Orobo camry). I guess that's part of the reasons y Nigerians go with Toyota, though I have to admit the brand is indeed overrated most times.

iii) You made a good recommendatn with Golf 3, no doubt. i guess i didnt mention it because it had been mentioned earlier & well, i was lookin at OP's query from my own point of view. In spite of the fact that the VW Golf (1.6, 1.8l) is even more fuel efficient than the fuel efficient camry 2.2 4 cyl, I'll stil go for the camry/corona. that's just me sha.lol. But the Golf is indeed a splendid n rugged ride. A friend sold his about a year ago when he was leavin for the UK for M.Sc. for 200k! Golf 3 GT, with the extra plastics n BB5 alloys. It seriously pained me coz knowin that ride, & how sound it was, i wouldv found a way to arrange even 250k just to get it, but i was too late.

OP, we don feed you with info. The final choice is yours smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by bajugbajug(m): 2:36pm On Sep 07, 2012
tank u so much. i tink i shld be good with toyota camry orobo.but wot shld be d best price for a well maintained naija used?.

1 Like

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by hakymbiyiyaho: 4:57pm On Sep 07, 2012
Please let me also advice you on the vehcle to take, VOLKSWAGEN VANAGON is good for you to earn you more after repayment of your loans and there would be more reserve for you if you can fetch more ppl along with you to your area of work and even back home.

3 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by chucky234(m): 5:00pm On Sep 07, 2012
Ikenna and co have done so much already but let me chip in a little to back all they have said,I think the 96 model Camry will no doubt as its fuel efficient,gives more prestige than the VW Golf3 and the parts are readily available.

You can get a sound Orobo for between 600k and 650k, happy groove bro.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by boron10(m): 5:01pm On Sep 07, 2012
Op for your own good, don't buy nigeria used car if you don't want to start drinking garri with your family.

3 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Classicalman(m): 5:02pm On Sep 07, 2012
bajugbajug: hello nairalanders, am a civil servant with a monthly salary of btw 70k and 80k and also have access to loan of about 700k.

I cover over 50miles daily(to and fro)and would need your candid advice on a car that i can buy tht befits my status, budget and easy to maintain.

thanks

Get a nissan sunny (about 450k toks) or an Audi 80.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by muyenmuyen: 5:03pm On Sep 07, 2012
I will advice you that you go for small car that will not be expensive so that maintainace will not be a problem.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by aldirisu91: 5:04pm On Sep 07, 2012
Hmmmmmmmm.......... This is a serious issue oooo. With this kind of salary level, you are still thinking about buying a car? Your must be too optimist a person. You should visit a Professor of Economics for better counsel.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Exponental(m): 5:05pm On Sep 07, 2012
If u are a learner or u dont intend replacing d car soon, 4get d orobo.
I advice golf3, range 500k-550k will get u a clean on. Maimtenance is also relatively low.
andywaves: There r many decent cars u can buy with that budget that will be easy on ur pocket in terms of maintenance n fuel
golf 3,
nissan primera 94-97,
mitsubshi galant 94-97
, even a mazda 626
of the same year range n if I would advise buy a manual tranny its easier on d pocket n more fuel efficient and make sure you buy tokunbo u will get more value for your money
well spoken.
I drive a '94 mazda.
Its ok 4 d money.....options plenty die!
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 5:10pm On Sep 07, 2012
bajugbajug: hello nairalanders, am a civil servant with a monthly salary of btw 70k and 80k and also have access to loan of about 700k.

thanks

Covering your 50km a day by public transport, I believe, is cheaper than owning a car of your own.

To make matters worse, you want to borrow to purchase the car.

My candid advice: forget it for now.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Exponental(m): 5:10pm On Sep 07, 2012
hakym_biyi@yaho:
Please let me also advice you on the vehcle to take, VOLKSWAGEN VANAGON is good for you to earn you more after repayment of your loans and there would be more reserve for you if you can fetch more ppl along with you to your area of work and even back home.
na true talk u yarn oo.
If nt vanagon, maybe a space wagon.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 5:19pm On Sep 07, 2012
With the high APR's on loan, don't even go near it.

Buy the manual transmission golf 3 or Volkswagen Vento. It gives you peace of mind, low cost of parts, low fuel consumption, very stable/firm on the road and its highly reliable, you don't even have to worry about armed robbers.
You can buy an elegant one with AC, airbags, alloy rims e.t.c btw 600-700k.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 5:25pm On Sep 07, 2012
@ OP. The candid truth is, you cant afford a good car that wont give you troubles now. Use the funds you have plus the loan facility for an alternative income generating investment until you are buoyant enough for a good car. Small cars bring nothing but troubles and headaches. Its never always advisable to buy a car with a loan, cos cars are liabilities and loans are liabilities, getting a car loan becomes double wahala for deadi bodi...

4 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by 2mch(m): 5:33pm On Sep 07, 2012
Have you considered the amount it will cost you to take a transport vehicle vs the amount to buy a car and maintain over the next 5 years? I dont support taking a loan for something that does not generate some income. I suggest you get a loan to start a business and use the money from that business to buy a used car instead. undecided. A car depreciates too fast. Maintenance is another issue. If you live in Lagos, transportation is quite good with the emergence of BRT. We all go through tough times and inconveniences which only last for a short while if we are determined. Just work hard and have a goal, you will achieve it. Dont measure your life by how others are living. The less debt you have, the longer your life span. Take debt very wisely, because at the end of the day, a 700k loan can turn to a 1.4m naira debt after interest and late fees

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

5 Of The World’s Longest Trucks You Will Never See On Nigerian Roads / Toyota Corolla Emerges Nigeria’s Car Of The Year / 10 Reasons That Toyota Corolla Was Crowned Nigeria’s Car Of The Year 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.