Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,905 members, 7,802,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:08 AM

An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. (50171 Views)

Ideal Car Tyre In Nigeria Market / Whats An Ideal Car For A Young First Time Buyer Architect / Your Ideal Car, Favorite Production Car & Car Manufacturer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by DatNiggaAk(m): 5:37pm On Sep 07, 2012
Zaynee63: forget about status man, what you should be asking is whether you really need the car that will be chopping your money. As far i can tell, a car is a liability to an average salary earner and it can only be a necessity if there is a way it increases your productivity at work and in turn translates to additional earnings. Otherwise you dont need it. I for instance cover 50miles/day and I have noticed that while I spend about 5k+ to fuel my car for the week, I spend only about 3k5 if i choose not to drive. So... my 2cents wink

I beg to disagree sir. Except your routine is office-home, home-office. A good low fuel consuming car will cost you less than taking public transport. not to mention the convenience it offers when you have goods/stuff/load to carry.

3 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by duality(m): 5:37pm On Sep 07, 2012
Billyonaire: @ OP. The candid truth is, you cant afford a good car that wont give you troubles now. Use the funds you have plus the loan facility for an alternative income generating investment until you are buoyant enough for a good car. Small cars bring nothing but troubles and headaches. Its never always advisable to buy a car with a loan, cos cars are liabilities and loans are liabilities, getting a car loan becomes double wahala for deadi bodi...

GBAM!!!

was about saying the same thing.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Ninilowo(m): 5:42pm On Sep 07, 2012
bajugbajug: @topmost tank u for d advice. Wot abt golf 3?
Even with low income as 50k you are good to go with golf 3. happy motoring
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 5:43pm On Sep 07, 2012
Ninilowo:
Even with low income as 50k you are good to go with golf 3. happy motoring
What is golf 3 ?
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Ninilowo(m): 5:46pm On Sep 07, 2012
bajugbajug: A frnd of mine dat once used golf 3 said all d parts are relatively cheap. Pls hw true?
Very very corrrect.I use auto golf 3 and grade 1 gear box is 45k. some parts are as cheap as N250. Its AC gas is as cheap as 3k.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by 2mch(m): 5:46pm On Sep 07, 2012
If you insist, please find a Toyota or Honda. They are more reliable and low maintenance. You can start with a 99 Toyota for instance. smiley
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 5:49pm On Sep 07, 2012

I googled Golf 3 and this is what I saw. This car above is not recommended for anyone except mechanics. I can only recommend it if you are going for a brand new. OP, there is no time I see this car on the road with AC working. The drivers are always sweating and having red eyes. Most times, people are always pushing it. Except you live outside lagos, do not buy it cos Okada people will so terrorize you....Wait for your time. Invest the little you have. Many people buy cars to augment their social status, if thats your primary motive, then how augmented will your status be with this thing ? my2cents!

2 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by IMUGORI: 5:50pm On Sep 07, 2012
You want to use loan to buy car that will not fetch any returns for u.... Kindly use that money to setup a good business for urself and if u are lucky enough, u may realise good profit to acquire any car of ur chioce.... Be wise my brother ......
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Ninilowo(m): 5:53pm On Sep 07, 2012
boron10: Op for your own good, don't buy nigeria used car if you don't want to start drinking garri with your family.
If I may ask, how much is ike ijoba now? grin
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by solomto(f): 5:54pm On Sep 07, 2012
Op,if u are planning to get married in less than 2yrs time frm nw or u were already married,i wl advice u to get a car bt if ur stil a bachelor and nt planning settling down soonest,pls leave it for nw.
A car is nt an investment bt for a necessity expecially for a family man.

3 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by DANILSA(m): 5:57pm On Sep 07, 2012
Bros get a golf 3 or forget car, this car is most economical and reliable. Every morning while going to work leave big boy carry 5 passengers=#500, when coming back carry another 5 passengers making it 1000 everyday, saturday u do small drop get like 3K join am. But if u ask me your salary is enough to have a car, pls never collect a car loan, if ur determined 1yr and 6 months is enough to save for a small car if not u go become president of Garri drinkers association.grin

6 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by omodapson(m): 6:00pm On Sep 07, 2012
The guy said he wanted a car, why all the preachings on saving his money for something else? @poster, please do what pleases you. I can see a golf 3 has been recommended, a trial will make you happy.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Digriz(m): 6:01pm On Sep 07, 2012
Billyonaire:

I googled Golf 3 and this is what I saw. This car above is not recommended for anyone except mechanics. I can only recommend it if you are going for a brand new. OP, there is no time I see this car on the road with AC working. The drivers are always sweating and having red eyes. Most times, people are always pushing it. Except you live outside lagos, do not buy it cos Okada people will so terrorize you....Wait for your time. Invest the little you have. Many people buy cars to augment their social status, if thats your primary motive, then how augmented will your status be with this thing ? my2cents!
a big lie,i hv seen a lot of golf 3 wt chilling AC,dnt say wat u dnt knw.
i wl even advice d op to go for golf 3
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 6:04pm On Sep 07, 2012
This OP wants to buy a car on 80k a month salary..

Thats not even up to a MILLION a year BEFORE tax.

Do you pay rent?

Dont you want to INVEST in yourself so you can get a better JOB?

Talk about misplaced priorities...
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Luckki1001(m): 6:06pm On Sep 07, 2012
hakym_biyi@yaho:
Please let me also advice you on the vehcle to take, VOLKSWAGEN VANAGON is good for you to earn you more after repayment of your loans and there would be more reserve for you if you can fetch more ppl along with you to your area of work and even back home.

@ Op, we are both in almost the same situation, only that I made do with a car loan from my office for the sum of N750k and bought a small, clean Golf 3 manual tranny for N320k on this very Nairaland.

Billyonaire:

Kindly disregard the advice from Billyonaire. My AC dey work like mad. Maybe the people he saw actually sweating and with blood shot eyes are the mechanics who have been instructed to work on the AC! Lol grin

Anyway, I totally agree with the advice of the guy who said you should buy a van or something so you can ferry people to and from work as this will fetch u some small change that u can use to buy fuel or something. See this link: https://www.nairaland.com/981041/super-clean-registered-caravan-500k for one such vehicle. I don't know the owner neither have I met him before, but this is just an example of the kind of vehicle that will benefit you. What's more, the price is good and you will still have some money to spare.

The decision is yours though. Stay blessed!

1 Like

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by abolore80(m): 6:06pm On Sep 07, 2012
Toyota camry is the best value for your hard earned money. Its fuel efficient, best for Nigerian roads and easy to manitain. Those are the things you consider when getting a car, particularly if its your first car. If you're interested in a clean Tokunbo toyota camry with factory fitted Air condition for 700k, contact me 08036840986, I can help you get one.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Dejavu4life: 6:10pm On Sep 07, 2012
Guy forget about car for now. I'll advise u to collect the 700k start a small business like a well equipt barbing salon an a major road etc. A car is not an asset but a liability. That is what is killing most bankers in Nigeria today, they'll collect loan and waste it on exotic car's once they're out of job they have nothing to fall back on! Pls be wise
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by tunde300us(m): 6:13pm On Sep 07, 2012
Dont forget to reserve N25K lastma moni too grin But on a more serious note i think driving a car in lagos dont need u to earn 200k/month before u can drive one.This mite sound funny but do u consider how long ur clothes nd shoes will last when u drive urself ?
And the OP said he owns half of the loan ie N350k of the money already,so he is not just borrowing all.My guess is that its a coperative or something

1 Like

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Digriz(m): 6:15pm On Sep 07, 2012
DANILSA: Bros get a golf 3 or forget car, this car is most economical and reliable. Every morning while going to work leave big boy carry 5 passengers=#500, when coming back carry another 5 passengers making it 1000 everyday, saturday u do small drop get like 3K join am. But if u ask me your salary is enough to have a car, pls never collect a car loan, if ur determined 1yr and 6 months is enough to save for a small car if not u go become president of Garri drinkers association.grin
well said,i hv seen people wt lesser salary driving and maintaining there cars. Who d hell are those people saying that he's salary is too small to get a car? I cld remember wat one of our past leader said abt owning a mobile phone that its meant for the rich bt nw wat is happening,even some primary skool pupil own a phone. Wat am trying to point out is that d op wnts a car for a necessity n nt for luzury and there are cars he fits in,pls allow d guy to get a car bt i wont support a loan as Danilsa said
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 6:16pm On Sep 07, 2012
Luckki1001:
Kindly disregard the advice from Billyonaire. My AC dey work like mad. Maybe the people he saw actually sweating and with blood shot eyes are the mechanics who have been instructed to work on the AC! Lol grin
Oga no vex o. I was just advising, bottom-line is, the OP will do his heart desire.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Digriz(m): 6:22pm On Sep 07, 2012
jackbauersballs: This OP wants to buy a car on 80k a month salary..

Do you pay rent?

he cn do it.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by nlofficial(m): 6:24pm On Sep 07, 2012
Rather you get the 1999 Toyota camry instead of the orobo. Everybody knows that car will serve you even without gearbox cheesy

1 Like

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Luckki1001(m): 6:24pm On Sep 07, 2012
@ Op, please no waste time. Head over to the auto section here: https://www.nairaland.com/autos. Do your research wella. You will see some nice, clean vehicles that fit your budget perfectly. Don't make any advance payments ooooo or else you will be on your own! See links like this: https://www.nairaland.com/1023968/reduced-bmw-318-n250000-mazda will help you get a very good car that you will pay far less than the N700k for.

Digriz: well said,i hv seen people wt lesser salary driving and maintaining there cars. Who d hell are those people saying that he's salary is too small to get a car? I cld remember wat one of our past leader said abt owning a mobile phone that its meant for the rich bt nw wat is happening,even some primary skool pupil own a phone. Wat am trying to point out is that d op wnts a car for a necessity n nt for luzury and there are cars he fits in,pls allow d guy to get a car bt i wont support a loan as Danilsa said

Well said, @ Digriz.

jackbauersballs: This OP wants to buy a car on 80k a month salary..

Do you pay rent?

It is advice like these that make my blood boil. Does he have to earn a million naira before/after tax before getting a ride?! Haba! I am married, investing in myself and my hubby to better ourselves and still own a small ride as earlier posted. I stand tall to say "Op, go ahead" Get yourself a ride and leave haters wey you no get any idea.

If you know say the guy low income + the loan dey provoke you, challenge the op to post a mobile number here. Send an sms to that number with the words "CAR FUND Raising" so the op will send you his bank details. Then contribute money for him so he can buy a new ride and return the loan. MMMmttttcccheeeeewwwww!

Op, carry dey go. I wish you good luck (without jonathan, of course!) grin. Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Duke007(m): 6:28pm On Sep 07, 2012
bajugbajug: tank u so much. i tink i shld be good with toyota camry orobo.but wot shld be d best price for a well maintained naija used?.
.Why wld u settle 4 orobo?l wil advice u to go 4 Honda halla.l earn far les than u & thats my ride.lt is more appealing,low fuel usuage&maintenance and very rugged.l tell ya,u wldn't regret it.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by straighthome: 6:30pm On Sep 07, 2012
The ABC of money economics I know does not support borrowing for consumption. Rather borrowing or gearing is meant for investment taking into consideration risk and returns. On another note I have enjoyed thoroughly the back and forth banter of low end cars and their capabilities. Thumbs up NL.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Knight1(m): 6:30pm On Sep 07, 2012
UNLESS YOU TRAVEL A LOT, I'D SAY BUY A BRAND NEW SMALL HYUNDAI. THAT YOU WON'T NEED TO TOUCH FOR FOUR YEARS APART FROM SERVICING...
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 6:33pm On Sep 07, 2012
Luckki1001:
It is advice like these that make my blood boil. Does he have to earn a million naira before/after tax before getting a ride?! Haba! I am married, investing in myself and my hubby to better ourselves and still own a small ride as earlier posted. I stand tall to say "Op, go ahead" Get yourself a ride and leave haters wey you no get any idea.

If you know say the guy low income + the loan dey provoke you, challenge the op to post a mobile number here. Send an sms to that number with the words "CAR FUND Raising" so the op will send you his bank details. Then contribute money for him so he can buy a new ride and return the loan. MMMmttttcccheeeeewwwww!

Op, carry dey go. I wish you good luck (without jonathan, of course!) grin. Cheers.

I be en papa?

I just said my own. Its up to him to do what he wants.

My opinion is that on such a meagre salary, buying an already dated, second-hand car that will further and rapidly depreciate in value is not the way to go.

Nigerians are funny though, he earns 960k a year, and has already Borrowed 350k, and people are advising and encouraging him to go for a 15 year old car.

IS THAT SENSE?

That's why so many of you are struggling financially...
Anyhow...

Last last na en sabi.

3 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by GSparks(m): 6:37pm On Sep 07, 2012
You can also check out this new vectra that's replacing those old ones at a very fast rate. From what i've heard, its very good and fuel efficient.
NB: the car na winch, e go just dey speed dey go!
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by mu2sa2: 6:45pm On Sep 07, 2012
bajugbajug: hello nairalanders, am a civil servant with a monthly salary of btw 70k and 80k and also have access to loan of about 700k.

I cover over 50miles daily(to and fro)and would need your candid advice on a car that i can buy tht befits my status, budget and easy to maintain.

thanks

Yes, u can get a fairly used car for 4-500,000 naira. Dont listen to the bunkum that u can not maintain a car on salary of 80,000 naira. When I bought my car 8 yrs ago, my salary was no way near 80k and I am still not only driving d car bt maintaining it in xcellent condition. N80,000 a month is alot even today ( how many car owners earn N980,000 a year?) Living in a city can be inconvenient if u dont hav a car. I drop my children at school every morning before heading for office- for this alone I cant do without a car. I wd advise u to look for a car of not more than 4-500,000 naira and spend like 80k on it - d car will suffice for u as a first car. Since u ar going to be repaying d loan from ur salary, u should use d balance to start a small biz (it will b better to set ur wife up). d income from ur biz will provide xtra income to offset ur loan repayment. That's it. Use d car sensibly. when u pay off d loan in 2-3 years, u wont regret buying d car. I am NOT theorising, I talk from my own xperience. Goodluck

2 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by fxjohn2: 6:45pm On Sep 07, 2012
so you want to continue managing that small salary and also add the burden of car fueling and servicing to that small salary. You have a better choice to invest just 100k for 6mths and start earning 300k every month instead of 80k. You start earning after 6mths from start of investment. If u are interested send mail to jonosa2@gmail.com
john
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by bfire(m): 6:49pm On Sep 07, 2012
the OP needs a car - fact.

the OP gets a loan of N350,000 from a cooperative - fact.

he earns 70k - 80k p/month - fact.

it there follow that he wants a reliable commuter car for CONVENIENCE.

you may go for the following that has less stress, low maintenance, not too common that it attracts thieves:

coupe (2 doors) honda accoord 98 - 2000

honda civic 96 - 2000

coupe toyota camry 92 - 96 or 97 - 99

honda odyssey 96 - 98 ( it's a mini-bus that allows you to make some little cash from your co-workers that ply your route)

wish you the best of luck

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

10 Reasons That Toyota Corolla Was Crowned Nigeria’s Car Of The Year 2019 / Toyota Corolla Emerges Nigeria’s Car Of The Year / 5 Of The World’s Longest Trucks You Will Never See On Nigerian Roads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.