Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,174 members, 7,780,212 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:56 AM

Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? (11445 Views)

Poll: Chief MKO Abiola would have been a good president:

Yes: 45% (65 votes)
No: 54% (78 votes)
This poll has ended

MKO Abiola International Airport Will Be Ready Next Year- Osun Government / Mubashiru Abiola Is Dead (MKO Abiola's Younger Brother) / Can Osinbajo Be A Good President? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by noetic(m): 6:39pm On Jan 05, 2008
No doubt MKO abiola was what many in his generation were not: A business mogul, a magnanimous philanthropist and a well meaning nigerian. He was also an ardent supporter of sports in Africa. an industrialist, a large employer of labour and a people's man.

So much has been said and unsaid about this great man. I believe he is one of the greatest Nigerians ever to live.

But the question is, considering his military connections and dealings, and the fact that he is a product of the "Nigerian factor" (contracts, ITT, oil blocks, et all) would MKO Abiola have made a difference as a Nigerian president had the elections not been annulled? Or would he have been a farce like the rest of them all?
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Bankole01(m): 6:46pm On Jan 05, 2008
NO way! That trailblazers of all mega-thieves, would have been no better than Obasanjo.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by bibiking1(m): 6:48pm On Jan 05, 2008
that guy was a criminal! the cause of Awolowo's woes.

He would have led us into early doom if he was president

events really helped the country
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by bawomol(m): 12:39am On Jan 06, 2008
populists hardly make good presidents. he was 2 cozy with the army for his own good.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Kobojunkie: 12:58am On Jan 06, 2008
@Poster, I am going to assume that you do not know the real MKO Abiola, going by the statements you posted up there. Are you kidding me When are we going to learn in this country?? Please look up the true story of Abiola before you go around asking questions like this. Have we not learnt anything in this country by now
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Nobody: 1:50am On Jan 06, 2008
I don't really know the man (wasn't interested in politics but cartoons) but I knew he made noise when I was in primary three.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Dreloaded(f): 1:53am On Jan 06, 2008
Of course he would have been, after he returned the millions of naira he stole when he was supposed to implement various infrastructures in Nigeria

*rolls eyes*
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by almondjoy(f): 1:59am On Jan 06, 2008
M.K.O.?

Apparently not according to God. He was called to answer to "glory".
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by chidichris(m): 8:39am On Jan 06, 2008
his death was good for his image because ribadu would have him behind bars for the rest of his life.
he was a terrorist and a fraudstar.
don't u know about ITT which Fela translated to International Thief thief.
he is was a criminal and he was involved in almost all the coup that took place in nigeria during his time.
he was a mother f^ker.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Jakumo(m): 9:43am On Jan 06, 2008
Having personally met M.K.O Abiola on several occasions and been fortunate to engage him in far ranging informal discussions at his Ikeja mansion, I can attest to the following :

The man had a photographic memory which enabled him to keep mental track of the minutest details that would have escaped the recollection of most mortals.

M.K.O Abiola graduated at the TOP of his class in the UK university where he earned his degree in accounting, establishing his credentials as an unusually brilliant and formidable intellectual power-house.

Abiola oversaw the operations of a global conglomerate of thriving business concerns that spanned over 130 countries around the world.

Abiola was entirely detribalized, and this was evidenced by his policy of hiring the best and brightest Nigerian professionals to run his business concerns, irrespective of tribal origin, and ALWAYS in preference to foreigners whose competence he felt had for too long been over-rated in the context of Nigeria's post-colonial mentality.  In this same vein MKO paid for the education of literally hundreds of Nigerians who held academic promise while lacking the means to pay their own way, much as their benefactor had once been in his poverty stricken youth.

Abiola was instrumental in the replacement of The Butcher of Uganda, Idi Amin, with reformist president Museveni, and to this end, MKO visited the Ugandan battle front at great personal risk, travelling much of the distance there by wooden canoe in  the dead of night.

On a private level it was fascinating to note that while MKO spoke with a pronounced stammer, he could sing with the flawless assurance of the professional musician he used to be before his fortune was built, and he joked and laughed with even the lowest ranking of his employees, confirming his reputation as being one of the most unassuming and down-to-earth human beings one could hope to meet.

The murder of Abiola by henchmen loyal to dead despot Sanni Abacha shall one day be recognised as one of Nigeria's darkest chapters, for that poisoning death deprived Africa of one of her greatest living treasures.

To answer the poster's question about Abiola's performance had he been sworn in as a Nigerian head of state, there is no doubt Nigeria would be a dramatically BETTER place than it is today, if only MKO had ridden out that storm and lived to assume the rightful place assigned to him by the Nigerian electorate on June 12 1993.

Rest in peace, Baba Kola, for you have earned your place among Africa's true heroes.

1 Like

Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Nobody: 10:36am On Jan 06, 2008
Jakumo:

Having personally met M.K.O Abiola on several occasions and been fortunate to engage him in far ranging informal discussions at his Ikeja mansion, I can attest to the following :

The man had a photographic memory which enabled him to keep mental track of the minutest details that would have escaped the recollection of most mortals.

M.K.O Abiola graduated at the TOP of his class in the UK university where he earned his degree in accounting, establishing his credentials as an unusually brilliant and formidable intellectual power-house.

Abiola oversaw the operations of a global conglomerate of thriving business concerns that spanned over 130 countries around the world.

Abiola was entirely detribalized, and this was evidenced by his policy of hiring the best and brightest Nigerian professionals to run his business concerns, irrespective of tribal origin, and ALWAYS in preference to foreigners whose competence he felt had for too long been over-rated in the context of Nigeria's post-colonial mentality. In this same vein MKO paid for the education of literally hundreds of Nigerians who held academic promise while lacking the means to pay their own way, much as their benefactor had once been in his poverty stricken youth.

Abiola was instrumental in the replacement of The Butcher of Uganda, Idi Amin, with reformist president Museveni, and to this end, MKO visited the Ugandan battle front at great personal risk, travelling much of the distance there by wooden canoe in the dead of night.

On a private level it was fascinating to note that while MKO spoke with a pronounced stammer, he could sing with the flawless assurance of the professional musician he used to be before his fortune was built, and he joked and laughed with even the lowest ranking of his employees, confirming his reputation as being one of the most unassuming and down-to-earth human beings one could hope to meet.

The murder of Abiola by henchmen loyal to dead despot Sanni Abacha shall one day be recognised as one of Nigeria's darkest chapters, for that poisoning death deprived Africa of one of her greatest living treasures.

To answer the poster's question about Abiola's performance had he been sworn in as a Nigerian head of state, there is no doubt Nigeria would be a dramatically BETTER place than it is today, if only MKO had ridden out that storm and lived to assume the rightful place assigned to him by the Nigerian electorate on June 12 1993.

Rest in peace, Baba Kola, for you have earned your place among Africa's true heroes.

Please, i will suggest you go and sell this story to some villagers in another country, definitely not Nigeria. Cos my great grand mum would laughed at this trash.
I just want to believe that you are one of the numerous children, maybe Kola.

Even if he was financially clean, his marital life has been described as a disaster; and that would not have been a good xtics of a responsible and focused president. He would have been 10 times worst than Obj and IBB put together.

This topic should not even be debated, because he could not have been a president after having the intentions of Islamizing Nigeria.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Kobojunkie: 11:35am On Jan 06, 2008
Jakumo:

Abiola was entirely detribalized, and this was evidenced by his policy of hiring the best and brightest Nigerian professionals to run his business concerns, irrespective of tribal origin, and ALWAYS in preference to foreigners whose competence he felt had for too long been over-rated in the context of Nigeria's post-colonial mentality. In this same vein MKO paid for the education of literally hundreds of Nigerians who held academic promise while lacking the means to pay their own way, much as their benefactor had once been in his poverty stricken youth.

Abiola was instrumental in the replacement of The Butcher of Uganda, Idi Amin, with reformist president Museveni, and to this end, MKO visited the Ugandan battle front at great personal risk, travelling much of the distance there by wooden canoe in the dead of night.

Wow, This shows you do not know much about the man you claim to have had a conversation with. He smoothed you over with information that you did not even bother to verify after all this time?? ?? LMAO!!!
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Jakumo(m): 11:38am On Jan 06, 2008
Nuzo I would bear the Abiola name with great pride though I do not, and of course I accept your opposing stance as a pre-requisite to any good debate.  

No matter what the polls might say about MKO, my own opinion based on first-hand observations remains as written above.  

@ K'Juinkie Abiola's legacy is a matter of public record, as are most of the facts in my first write-up on this subject.

One thing is for sure. Everyone who has ever heard of MKO either greatly admires his intellect, generosity and courage, or absolutely hates the mere mention of his name, based on real or imaginary infractions committed by Bashorun Abiola prior to his landslide electoral victory in Nigeria's June 12 1993 presidential elections.

MKO. The Meteor's path lit up our sky but briefly, and I was there to see it.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Kobojunkie: 11:46am On Jan 06, 2008
Jakumo:

Nuzo I would bear the Abiola name with great pride though I do not, and of course I accept your opposing stance as a pre-requisite to any good debate.

No matter what the polls might say about MKO, my own opinion based on first-hand observations remains as written above.

Even Charles Manson has admirers does not make him innocent of the crimes he is accused of commiting. You are allowed to admire the man but at least be open to admitting the crimes he commited against the country stand against him since he never paid up all that money. Your post only has you selecting the many honey stories you have so far chosen to believe but you conveniently stayed clear of the very fact that the man was instrumental in bringing Nigeria to where it currently is today grin
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Esss(m): 11:53am On Jan 06, 2008
Opps!! Here we go again,

M.K.O Abiola (May his soul rest wherever he is at), would not have been a good president. The whole clamour about that guy was that we were desperate as a country to move from bad military rule to a civil gorvernment.
M.K.O was famous cos he was the only non-hausa candidate that was up for election. If I remember correctly he ran against Tofa which people believed to be a puppet of babangida.

In my own little opinion, late Chief M.K.O Abiola & Kingibe would have been the worst thing to happen to 9ja.

My opinion.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Jakumo(m): 12:14pm On Jan 06, 2008
Ha ha K'Junkie, well I guess you will never have a good thing to say about Abiola, while many like me can only think of but a few bad things to say about the same man.

Love him or loathe him, MKO still refuses to be ignored, even after all these moons since his death.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jan 06, 2008
Jakumo:

Love him or loathe him, MKO still refuses to be ignored, even after all these moons since his death.

Depends on who remenbers and who ignores him.

Esss:

The whole clamour about that guy was that we were desperate as a country to move from bad military rule to a civil gorvernment.
, and not because of his character.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by babasin(m): 1:30pm On Jan 06, 2008

how wrong could you be!

in 1999, when he had meeting with US, he was asking where is Brutus Ghali. they had to tell him it was Kofi the new UN guy.

wrong again. Abacha needed Abiola to be alive. otherwise, he would have killed him early.

Abiola died on the hands of US(drinking tea with them) while negotiating for his release and not Abacha boys!

good or bad President? this is belated.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Bankole01(m): 2:37pm On Jan 06, 2008
Abacha when he locked up Abiola, knew the real person than most of us who only saw his flamboyance.
In Nigeria, we worship emptiness and people who make the loudest noise.
Abiola was very cozy with the military and virtually financed every coup in Nigeria, as long as the incumbents did not suit his looting purposes.

Abiola was the first person in Nigeria to loot the nation on a grand scale and this was the genesis of his fortune. As an accountant and representing ITT, he with connivance with Obasanjo and the hierachy of the military, inflated the ITT contract to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars.
The man was instrumental in educating the then ignorant military boys in subtle shinanigans and massive looting of the nation. he wtted their appetites and opened their eyes and their lust for power and its attendant great rewards.

The military boys knew they couldn't let him run Nigeria, knowing his history and lust for money. His womanising is legendary and this is why his family will never know any peace.
A greedy and uncontrolable man like that, when confered with the ultimate power, will just run amock.

@Jakumo

Can you please tell us how an accounting graduate, could have amassed such stupendous wealth in no time??
Even if he was a philantropist and hired the best brains to managed his stolen loot. Does this negate his crimes to Nigeria and his destabilising of the nation for his personal agrandisement??

No matter his 'latter day' sainthood, the man was a criminal, pure and simple. His Islamic zeal would have thrown Nigeria into a religious war which would have been written in the anals of infirmy and claimed millions of lives.
Death was very kind to the man. We have the ignoble Abacha to thank for that!!!!!!!!
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by blissfullynaughty: 3:20pm On Jan 06, 2008
Jakumo:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Jakumo(m): 3:48pm On Jan 06, 2008
Oga Seun, the imposters have moved from impersonating DAVIDYLAN to pirating the exalted name of our Baale, the one and only ORIGINAL ( Not Aba-made ) Seun, and this must not be condoned.

Please be merciless and ruthless in your application of the bullwhip to sanction this vagabond, for he has truly crossed the line in the sand with this dastardly masquerade attempt.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by U1(m): 4:31pm On Jan 06, 2008
I thought I heard 'em say.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by noetic(m): 5:30pm On Jan 06, 2008
lets put aside all primordial sentiments and tribalistic injunctions.

In analysing MKO, don't forget that no one is pure or clean perse. because we all are from planet earth. but considering the fact he is the only one to have run an issue-based campaign in modern nigeria. as you would agree with me that subsequent elections has been all about zoning to south east, south south or north.
Abiola slogans and campaign messages still ring in the ears even till today.

lets answer the simple question,  if he meant well considering his philantropic nature, would he have achieved?
why would IBB refuse to let him rule if he was that bad? or abacha jail him?

in clear terms, tell us what factors would make him perform or not.

I think these are the neccessary questions we must answer in propagating the future we all want for our beloved nigeria.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by hbrednic: 5:43pm On Jan 06, 2008
ABIOLA,
no way,with ITT example.
but its better to let the dead to rest.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Omolulu(m): 6:52pm On Jan 06, 2008
Unfortunately the man never became the number one citizen of the nation, a philanthropist(who seized the African footballer of the year awards from french forces),a generous man,a business mogul, involved in shady deals, but always full of smiles, moved with the tide of times, whether military or civilian, we can never ever know what kind of president MKO would have made, could have been the best, or the worst, nevertheless he has achieved what many if not all Nigerian leaders have not been able to attain, the memory of the great day when victory was seized from him, an election acclaimed to be the freest elections ever held in Nigeria cry
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by babasin(m): 7:20pm On Jan 06, 2008
the memory of the great day when victory was seized from him, an election acclaimed to be the freest elections ever held in Nigeria

and who made it possible? though it was later annulled.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by davidif: 7:29pm On Jan 06, 2008
According to the words of a wise man; Fela to be exact MKO was an ITT (international thief thief). This guy was awarded a huge telecoms contract by the british govt to wire and connect nigeria and he embezzled it under the company International Telecoms and Telegraph. To make matters worse, he thought he could decieve us by giving the looted money for charity as if we were all going to be fooled by his philantropical work. Ole big BIG OLE.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by babasin(m): 7:32pm On Jan 06, 2008
davidif:

According to the words of a wise man; Fela to be exact MKO was an ITT (international thief thief). This guy was awarded a huge telecoms contract by the british govt to wire and connect nigeria and he embezzled it. To make matters worse, he thought he could decieve us by giving the looted money for charity as if we were all going to be fooled by his philantropical work. Ole big BIG OLE.

this is belated. why cant you quote this in 1999 when OBJ was out of prison. OBJ was equally accused by FELA.

point: we nigerians always forget to use history to shape our future!
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by almondjoy(f): 8:03pm On Jan 06, 2008
I think this is a yoruba thread and not a Nigerian thread so peace out!!!!! kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Kobojunkie: 8:13pm On Jan 06, 2008
Bankole01:

Abacha when he locked up Abiola, knew the real person than most of us who only saw his flamboyance.
In Nigeria, we worship emptiness and people who make the loudest noise.
Abiola was very cozy with the military and virtually financed every coup in Nigeria, as long as the incumbents did not suit his looting purposes.

Abiola was the first person in Nigeria to loot the nation on a grand scale and this was the genesis of his fortune. As an accountant and representing ITT, he with connivance with Obasanjo and the hierachy of the military, inflated the ITT contract to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars.

The man was instrumental in educating the then ignorant military boys in subtle shinanigans and massive looting of the nation. he wtted their appetites and opened their eyes and their lust for power and its attendant great rewards.

The military boys knew they couldn't let him run Nigeria, knowing his history and lust for money. His womanising is legendary and this is why his family will never know any peace.
A greedy and uncontrolable man like that, when confered with the ultimate power, will just run amock.

@Jakumo

Can you please tell us how an accounting graduate, could have amassed such stupendous wealth in no time??
Even if he was a philantropist and hired the best brains to managed his stolen loot. Does this negate his crimes to Nigeria and his destabilising of the nation for his personal agrandisement??

No matter his 'latter day' sainthood, the man was a criminal, pure and simple. His Islamic zeal would have thrown Nigeria into a religious war which would have been written in the anals of infirmy and claimed millions of lives.
Death was very kind to the man. We have the ignoble Abacha to thank for that!!!!!!!!

Thank you very much!!!
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Kobojunkie: 8:27pm On Jan 06, 2008
noetic:

lets put aside all primordial sentiments and tribalistic injunctions.

In analysing MKO, don't forget that no one is pure or clean perse. because we all are from planet earth. but considering the fact he is the only one to have run an issue-based campaign in modern nigeria. as you would agree with me that subsequent elections has been all about zoning to south east, south south or north.
Abiola slogans and campaign messages still ring in the ears even till today.

lets answer the simple question,  if he meant well considering his philantropic nature, would he have achieved?
why would IBB refuse to let him rule if he was that bad? or abacha jail him?

in clear terms, tell us what factors would make him perform or not.

I think these are the neccessary questions we must answer in propagating the future we all want for our beloved nigeria.

Simple answer to your question. HE WAS A CRIMINAL. Regardless of how much philantropic work he did in his later years it does not erase the FACT that this same man STOLE/THEIF/ROBBED/TOOK AWAY Millions of dollars from the Nigerian people. Why in the world is it OK for a man to be a tHIEF one day and then President the next?? I mean Come on!!!,  Why is it Ok for CRIMINALS to take on Leadership roles in Nigeria?? In other countries, if you have a record, you CAN NOT EVER TAKE on a leadership role. Why should we accept such in Nigeria though??

Please do not even use the NOBODY IS A SAINT argument in this case cause I am about sick and tired of people using that as excuse to continually accept nonsense . Fact remains, the man was one of the premiere looters in Nigeria and that alone SHOULD disqualify him from taking on any leadership role in that country or any other country. In a corperation,  employees do  their very best when they are in lower roles so they can some day be moved up the ladder based on their achievement. Why do we advance persons who commit crime to leadership roles in this country?? Are we so UNINTELLIGENT to know and see how counterproductive that has been and is for us??

Bottom line, the man made his bed when he stole from the country and cost us even more than he stole. He in his right mind made that decision to commit that crime against millions of Nigerians and so would never make a good president for Nigeria.

Jakumo:

Ha ha K'Junkie, well I guess you will never have a good thing to say about Abiola, while many like me can only think of but a few bad things to say about the same man.

I do not loathe the man nor do I love him. I simply like to see him as he really was instead of painting colorful pictures of him to make me feel alright or something. The man is dead, it is not like he is right now working to clean up what he did and has done to the people. His time is up and it is up to the people to sum up what he was really worth. I consider the few good he did vs the disastrous even he perpetrated against Nigeria as a whole and I do see him as a man who had little good to offer the Nigerian people and did not see it his place to do all he could to make right what he did wrong. I am not decieved by smiles and sweet words.

Action speaks louder than words and in this case, his own actions killed him, I didn't do it, neither did Nigerians do it to him. He, in his right man did it to himself. I am only saying what he did is criminal and so disqualifies him from even being a worthy leader of that country.

I am not sure what world you live in but last I checked, a man is judged by his actions and not the words of his mouth alone. So when placed on the scale here, the bad he did outweighs the good he TRIED to do.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by desgiezd(m): 9:46pm On Jan 06, 2008
babasin:

in 1999, when he had meeting with US, he was asking where is Brutus Ghali. they had to tell him it was Kofi the new UN guy.

Thats was only as a result of incarceration and not lack of intellect

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ending Off-shore Derivation / Aisha Buhari Launches ‘leave Our Daughters Alone’ Campaign / Buhari Govt, Worst Ever - Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.