Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,765 members, 7,802,337 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:43 PM

Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? (12059 Views)

Ladies What Are Your Reasons For Refusing A Guy That Admires You? / Pictures &Video:See The Marriage Proposal That Got A Lady Rolling On The Floor / A "Marriage Proposal By Police" In Port Harcourt (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by toria1980(f): 1:47pm On Sep 04, 2012
Dear Nairalanders,

My ex proposes to me, i refuse his marriage proposal because he is a Muslim.
in his words he said "i wont stop you from practicing your religion". but i refuse him, for two years now he is still beginning me to marry him
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by DExplorer1: 1:56pm On Sep 04, 2012
Religion is a lifestyle; a way of life. Been a Muslim shouldn't halt future plans IF he's been sincere about you exercising you Christian beliefs but in a society where both religions are like cat and dog, it's hard to see the future from where you both stand. Think and think right lass.

3 Likes

Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by Eiregirl(f): 2:21pm On Sep 04, 2012
How long were you in a relationship with your ex for?
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by Acidosis(m): 2:40pm On Sep 04, 2012
Oh Lord Have Mercy!!

Okay, You dated a muslim, and He serviced you all through the relationship.

Now that he wants marriage, you answered NO.

Did you not think about your religion, while he was servicing you on the bed, while you were exchanging blood, water and feelings? Did your religion support all that? ?

Stop deceiving yourself woman, religion can't work for you, church is not meant for you.

So just go and marry him, stop this religious trash..

5 Likes

Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by Eiregirl(f): 2:48pm On Sep 04, 2012
Acidosis: Oh Lord Have Mercy!!

Okay, You dated a muslim, and He serviced you all through out the relationship.

Did you not think about your religion, while he was servicing you on the bed, while you were exchanging blood, water and feelings? Did your religion support all that? ?

Stop deceiving yourself woman, religion can't work for you, church is not meant for you.

That's close to what I wanted to say, but maybe not quite so harsh! I wanted to know firstly how long she was seeing the guy.
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by omega25red(m): 3:16pm On Sep 04, 2012
toria1980: Dear Nairalanders,

in his words he said "i wont stop you from practicing your religion". but i refuse him, for two years now he is still beginning me to marry him
it is not wrong but do you really know your own reasons for refusing his proposal?

if you do, then calmly explain those reasons to him with supporting facts so that it wont just be because you beleive that muslims and christians can't co-exist in a marriage.

word to the wise you better love the person who loves you back as supposed to someone who fits some stereotype in your mind.

2 Likes

Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by toria1980(f): 3:32pm On Sep 04, 2012
2yrs.... and we've known each other for 9yrs

Eiregirl: How long were you in a relationship with your ex for?
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by toria1980(f): 3:40pm On Sep 04, 2012
Acidosis: Oh Lord Have Mercy!!

Okay, You dated a muslim, and He serviced you all through the relationship.

you don't need to be harsh.... we dated since 2003/2004. i left him in 2004 just because of the religion...but since 2004 he has being on my neck
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by Eiregirl(f): 3:47pm On Sep 04, 2012
toria1980:

you don't need to be harsh.... we dated since 2003/2004. i left him in 2004 just because of the religion...but since 2004 he has being on my neck

shocked He really wants you! If you've known each other for so long, can't you compromise if you want to be together, a little give & take.
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by DExplorer1: 3:57pm On Sep 04, 2012
toria1980:

..and you've been confused since 2004

1 Like

Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by Afam4eva(m): 4:22pm On Sep 04, 2012
How on earth should people from different religions get married when you believe in two different things. How do you now say you are one? I'm against Christian-Muslim marraige.

17 Likes

Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by wandeay: 4:25pm On Sep 04, 2012
yes, it is wrong
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by natasha: 4:27pm On Sep 04, 2012
So wat do u want us to tell you. Just remember in this day and age of boko haram, hmmmmmmm. Love is never enough.
A word is enough for the wise.

2 Likes

Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by seedord247(m): 4:27pm On Sep 04, 2012
afam4eva: How on earth should people from different religions get married when you believe in two different things. How do you now say you are one? I'm against Christian-Muslim marraige.

Can you explain the bolded part sir ?
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:28pm On Sep 04, 2012
OP if the man is from your tribe, it doesnt matter whether hes christian or muslim, because it is your bloodline.

only tribe matters. cool

E.g., if a Yoruba muslim marries a Yoruba christian, who cares, as long as both revert to Ifa-Orisha.
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by Acidosis(m): 4:29pm On Sep 04, 2012
toria1980:

..Its okay

But atleast you should be able to know whats best for you. Its better to follow your heart. . .if you love your religion, then your not even suppose to date someone outside your faith in the first place.
What people say here shouldn't be a reason why you ll have to marry/ not marry him.
Follow your heart, your faith.
Shalom.
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by Chrisbenogor(m): 4:29pm On Sep 04, 2012
Yo,
Most people like to talk the talk but not walk the walk. It takes two and its a very very dangerous game if you are considering it, but like the best answer to almost all questions in the world "it depends".
It depends on you, what do you want for your kids? would you be also comfortable with him practicing his religion? Would you understand when he does not have to eat for the month of Ramadan? Would you be able to bear his friends and family who are muslims? Would you understand when he has to take wife number two?
It depends on him, what does he want for the kids? Would he be fine when you make Afang and Ekpang on a beautiful sunday in the Ramadan? Would he be fine when your pastor visits and says let us rise for prayers? Would he be fine with your kids saying the Lords prayer?

Religion is not easily separated from our day to day lives, when you get married you "marry" your lives together and then it takes a fine balancing act to make things work. Plus religion is one of those things were people tend to get "Damascus" Moments often, he might not want a second wife now but sooner or later he might "fall off his horse" see a shining light and want it. Same applies to you.

Remember, its not just talking the talk. Its walking the walk.

15 Likes

Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by Afam4eva(m): 4:31pm On Sep 04, 2012
seedord247:

Can you explain the bolded part sir ?
If married couples claim to be one, they have to be one in spirit. meaning they have to believe in the same God. If they can't then it doesn't make sense getting married.

1 Like

Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by tobechi20(m): 4:34pm On Sep 04, 2012

u are a hypocrite. Dating a muslim but cant marry him. Y did u date him in d ist place
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by Gentiejag(f): 4:35pm On Sep 04, 2012
I think the first question to ask is 'how religious are you or your intended spouse?.

If you are the type who does not care what type of church it is, or maybe u do not go except on new year's eve. Then religion should not matter.
But if you are a person who believes strongly in his or her religion, then please do not try it.

It is Marriage! Do not tell me that religion does not matter... For God's sake, u are going to be with dis person for the REST OF YOUR LIFE! You want to stay with someone that does not share the same religious views with you for the rest of your life?!

There are some denominations in the christain fold that should not even marry not to talk of going all the way to the other side.

2 Likes

Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by kokoye(m): 4:36pm On Sep 04, 2012
Tough one.

If you both are serious xtian or muslim, it might be easy now when it's just the two of you.

But what happens when you have kids: where will they worship, what kinda music will they listen to; will you let your daughter's head be shaved when born, who will they hang out with, family members visiting, etc

These are some of the things you need to consider and decide on.

It is not the easiest of things except you both are free thinkers.
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by Mynd44: 4:37pm On Sep 04, 2012
The OP has other reasons for refusing the proposal that she is not saying cos I don't see how a human being who is in a right frame of mind will date a guy for two years only to say she can't marry him. This girl must have some mental issues or something
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Sep 04, 2012

who is the idiiota that still chases after a girl for two years?? wtfff is wroong with negroes in naija?
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by Deen4me(m): 4:40pm On Sep 04, 2012
Hypocrisy of the highest level, is what i call a religiously mixed marriage i.e Christian / Muslim

They say you love each other bla bla bla.

and Each partner believes that the other is gonna spend eternity in Hell

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Food for though

3 Likes

Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by toria1980(f): 4:43pm On Sep 04, 2012
lol
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by Koolking(m): 4:43pm On Sep 04, 2012
Op, your query deserves a personal answer, not public answer. I am sure you know your man more than he believes you do. You also know what you want in life/relationships. Why would you bask in the opinions of anonymous in order make life long decisions? Direct the question to yourself sis, and you will find an answer.

1 Like

Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by CrazyMan(m): 4:44pm On Sep 04, 2012
Maybe by the time you get to 35 years and you're still single, you would consider his proposal...hypocrite
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by seedord247(m): 4:45pm On Sep 04, 2012
afam4eva:
If married couples claim to be one, they have to be one in spirit. meaning they have to believe in the same God. If they can't then it doesn't make sense getting married.

So, muslims and christians serve different God?

Most of what is written in the bible in is in the quran... The only thing thats different btw the 2 religion is their form of worship and the language they used in interacting with God when praying.

If educated folks like you can believe in what you wrote above, i see know reason why we shout for peace. shocked

1 Like

Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by toria1980(f): 4:45pm On Sep 04, 2012
may i know your reason pls? thanks

wandeay: yes, it is wrong

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Are You Faithful In Your Current Relationship? / He Called And Apologize After Seeing My Nakednes.s(part 2) / 6 Best Sex Position For Nigerian Girls/ladies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.