Nairaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / Login / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 1208402 members, 1560619 topics. Date: Wednesday, 23 July 2014 at 12:40 AM

Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People - Ethnic, Racial, Or Sectarian Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ethnic, Racial, Or Sectarian Politics / Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People (12397 Views)

Difference Between Igbo, Yoruba And Hausa. / Who Are Igbo And Yoruba? / Whats The Major Differance Between Igbo People And Ibibio/ Annang/ Efik (1) (2) (3) (4)

(0) (1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by didara86(f): 7:14pm On Jan 05, 2008
Maybe this topic sounds funny to some of you,
Sorry if so,
but i'm still learning as much as possible about nigerian culture.

I dated an Igbo guy for a few months, unfortunately i didn't lead to anything serious.
But my experience was, whenever i told someone about my relationship, i was asked of what tribe he was.
Why does it matter so much?
Not that i don't understand that there was curiousity, but i would like to know WHY,

What are the main differences between Igbo and Yoruba people, maybe especially guys?

Would be great if someone could explain it to me.

Thanks forwarded!

Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by adekennis(m): 8:38am On Jan 07, 2008
yoruba guys are cool,calm caring,honest and we also have sence of humor wink
cant say anything about igbo o! lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by Germannig: 9:34am On Jan 07, 2008
Another war
Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by olydim: 9:37am On Jan 07, 2008
The Igbos are hardworking, progressive, caring, community-oriented, well-travelled and independent. I would have added honesty and trustworthiness; however, I am honest enough to know that unlike other attributes mentioned above, stuff like honesty and trustworthiness are personal attributes that no people as a population can genuinely lay claim to. This is because in every group, there are bad eggs soiling the image of the majority. As for the Yoruba, there is really not much to say about them, except that they s,,,,,,,, hahahaha

1 Like

Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by oziomatv(m): 10:46am On Jan 07, 2008
one is desperate the other one is not.
Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by olydim: 12:05pm On Jan 07, 2008
The difference is clear, if, for example, using these people as yardstick

Ngozi Okonjo Iweala
Dora Akunyili
Oby Ezekwesili

Patricia Olubunmi Etteh
Mobolaji Osomo
Iyabo Obasanjo

2 Likes

Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by grafikdon: 3:26pm On Jan 07, 2008
@didara86. The most significant difference is the language, other attributes like daily application of common sense, dedication to family and morality are evenly spread across the groups. It is impossible for a group to have a uniform propensity, because we are all individuals with our various differences. One good Yoruba/Igbo man does not reflect the general characteristics of his ethnic group, same can be said for one bad Yoruba/Igbo man. Unfortunately, people cling a lot more tenaciously to bad news. You know this already and you don't need anyone to deliver the message.
Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by Dreloaded(f): 3:34pm On Jan 07, 2008
What does your dating an Igbo dude have to do with Yoruba?

You do know Nigeria has other tribes than those two right?

1 Like

Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by didara86(f): 8:49am On Jan 08, 2008
Yes d-reloaded, i know that there are other tribes in nigeria of course.
It was not my intention to start another discussion with the topic "the people from which tribe are better", i just wanted to know about the traditions of the single tribes, their peculiarities and maybe about different attitudes.
This does not have anything to do with the fact that i was dating a yoruba guy, it's just my curiousity and my big love for this country that makes me want to know as much as possible about it, bu7t objectively if possible.
I know that for sure not all Igbos and not all Yorubas are the same, but there must be specific features for the single tribes and that's what i wanted to get to know.

Thanks and have a nice day!
Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by noetic(m): 4:03pm On Jan 09, 2008
the only difference is one speaks ibo the other yoruba

every other difference partaining to kindness, caring , being cool, generous, harworking, honesty et al. is on an individual basis.

there are good ibo guys and there are terrible ones
there are good yoruba guys and there are terrible ones

it depends on the individual.
Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by yongbabe(f): 9:58pm On Jan 11, 2008
noetic:

every other difference partaining to kindness, caring , being cool, generous, harworking, honesty et al. is on an individual basis.

an inteligent nairalander! grin
Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by faketan(m): 10:37pm On Jan 13, 2008
noetic:

That is why I said you must be the president.
Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by Jafarre(m): 4:18am On Jan 14, 2008
while that is all true and good, igbos tend to have taller heads tongue

1 Like

Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by steaming(f): 2:20pm On Jan 17, 2008
Jafa, you are just plain silly grin
Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by RichyBlacK(m): 4:46pm On Jan 17, 2008
@didara86,

This does not define all Igbo guys neither is it applicable to all Yoruba guys, but as a foreigner (you) I want to give you a quick overview.

Attribute: Igbo guys / Yoruba guys (for both: ages 21-45; does not apply to older guys)

Complexion: fairer/darker
Friendliness to strangers: more reserved / more curious
Personal ambition - financial: more / less
Personal ambition - educational: less / more
Altruistic tendency to family members: more / less
Altruistic tendency to non-family members: less / more
Tendency for unconventionality: slightly more / slightly less
Faithfulness to spouse: more / less
Likelihood of marrying early: low / high
Level of suspicion of 'others': more / less
Belief in charms, magic, juju: less / more

1 Like

Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by kamsi(f): 11:36am On Jan 18, 2008
@ rickyblack i think i concur with you especially in the area of fidelity. "All animals are equal but some are more equal than the others'
Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by Germannig: 1:53pm On Jan 18, 2008
Altruistic tendency to family members: more / less
Altruistic tendency to non-family members: less / more

How is this judged? Confused.
Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by hotfunmi(f): 6:15am On Jan 19, 2008
Special thanksĀ  to grafikdon and Dreloaded.

@Richyblack, i honestly don't know how you came to this conclusion. Who told you that yorubas do not care about their family members? I agree that Igbos take marriage more seriously and are likely to be faithful but you also have to remember that it's not only yoruba men that are very randy. Islam in yorubaland which is yet to be seen in igboland is another factor for the increasing number of polygamists among the yorubas. I believe that if igbos are to accept islam, polygamy will come back to their land. Please, I know lots of YORUBAS that take care of their family, wife and are not randy.
Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by RichyBlacK(m): 8:45am On Jan 19, 2008
hotfunmi:

Special thanks to grafikdon and Dreloaded.

@Richyblack, i honestly don't know how you came to this conclusion. Who told you that yorubas do not care about their family members? I agree that Igbos take marriage more seriously and are likely to be faithful but you also have to remember that it's not only yoruba men that are very randy. Islam in yorubaland which is yet to be seen in igboland is another factor for the increasing number of polygamists among the yorubas. I believe that if igbos are to accept islam, polygamy will come back to their land. Please, I know lots of YORUBAS that take care of their family, wife and are not randy.

@hotfunmi,
I see your point, however, you seem to be confusing the relative with the absolute.
Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by vanesa(m): 3:29pm On Jan 19, 2008
Na wao u guys argue alot it's simple as this
Babe if you wan know how far buy ticket Go naija and do the research yourself oyinbo like research so yr case should not start here see with yr eyez Period!!
Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by hotfunmi(f): 8:01pm On Jan 19, 2008
@Richyblack,

and am telling you that even your relative assertion is wrong. You clearly showed you anti sentiments for yoruba people here and its sickening.
Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by RichyBlacK(m): 10:06pm On Jan 19, 2008
hotfunmi:

@Richyblack,

and am telling you that even your relative assertion is wrong. You clearly showed you anti sentiments for yoruba people here and its sickening.

@hotfunmi,

Before you start slipping into some senseless rage, please go read my post again.

If your understanding of my post is hazy, let me attempt to help out. When the statement A > B (a "relative" comparison) is made, no "assertion" is being made by either the value of A or the value of B. You seem to be assigning your own value(s), hence your own assertion(s).

In your hastiness, you fail to see the incompleteness in your thought process and the contradiction in your conclusion of me showing negative sentiments towards Yoruba men of a certain age range.

Questions to you:
1. Why didn't you deduce from my post that Igbo males don't go to school?
2. Why didn't you proceed to give me examples of the huge number of Igbos with college degrees to rebut that deduction?

Please read, think, then comment. Thanks.
Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by vanesa(m): 11:03pm On Jan 19, 2008
yeye people the chick wey write this stuff just dey look una dey laugh say this people dey really silly!!!
stop all this comments and just ignore the thread let the best be the best we still one naija! Igbo,yoruba or whatever
Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by RichyBlacK(m): 1:06am On Jan 20, 2008
Pot calling kettle black undecided
Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by simibrazil(f): 10:37pm On Jan 20, 2008
I am brazilian.
I want go to Nigerian
I want stay in th best tribe
Which tribe should I choose? tongue

Simi, adding mood in the fire , jejeje
Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by Siena(m): 11:16pm On Jan 20, 2008
simibrazil:

I am brazilian.
I want go to Nigerian
I want stay in th best tribe
Which tribe should I choose? tongue

Simi, adding mood in the fire , jejeje

Simi, there's no such thing as "best tribe". People make the tribes, and there's good and bad all over.

So, in this case, whatever your decision, you'll make up your tribe.
Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by naijaway(m): 3:34am On Feb 02, 2008
Really, there's not much difference excerpt for two I can acknowledge. If not for all the traditional rulers only these two would stand out most.

1)oviously, they have different languages.

2) 99.9% of ibos/igbos are christians or other excerpt islam while a good percentage of yorubas are christians, muslims, and other.

For the most part, there's more similarity with the igbos and yorubas and everything in between and close to them. Now, the deeper north, might differ in various ways tho.
Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by didara86(f): 2:19pm On Feb 03, 2008
Ok, i see. Maybe it was no good idea to start this thread cos i didn't intend such a quarrel.

@ vanesa, it doesn't have anything to do with research, as you say "you oyinbo people like to do", Am kinda sad about ur reaction and i don't really understand ur point.

Well, i will be in Lagos by july, for around 3 weeks and i guess i will have the chance to make my own experiences then. But still thanks to those who tried to help me and gave some information,

Have a blessed sunday
Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by didara86(f): 2:33pm On Feb 03, 2008
Oh, i guess there's a big difference between research and interest. Further i think a forum like this consists of threads and questions, as well as of replies and opinion. That's why i tried to get some information. I don't really care about if someone i meet is yoruba or igbo or whatever. As i said, whenever i tell someone about dating a nigerian guy, i get asked if he's yoruba or igbo. But i get asked by Nigerians. Most european or more germans don't even know about those tribes. I don't think it's my fault that i started this thread and i also don't think I'm guilty for this struggle here, cos i'm not the one with prejudices. You took the chance of this thread to make another struggle out of it.
Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by RichyBlacK(m): 5:35pm On Feb 03, 2008
didara86:

Oh, i guess there's a big difference between research and interest. Further i think a forum like this consists of threads and questions, as well as of replies and opinion. That's why i tried to get some information. I don't really care about if someone i meet is yoruba or igbo or whatever. As i said, whenever i tell someone about dating a nigerian guy, i get asked if he's yoruba or igbo. But i get asked by Nigerians. Most european or more germans don't even know about those tribes. I don't think it's my fault that i started this thread and i also don't think I'm guilty for this struggle here, because i'm not the one with prejudices. You took the chance of this thread to make another struggle out of it.

@didara86,
As far as I'm concerned you did nothing wrong. You asked a question, and wanted people's opinion. In reading the responses, you had confidence in yourself that you could separate the unbalanced/one-sided from the balanced ones. Both ethnic groups have more similarities than differences, however, differences stemming from different cultures, though not large, still exist. Your stay in Nigeria for 3 weeks will help you appreciate, no matter how small, the complexity of how the different ethnic groups in Nigeria relate. If you want to read more about some aspects of this relationship, visit this page
Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by didara86(f): 10:10pm On Feb 03, 2008
Thanks for the link, Richy
Re: Most Relevant Differences Between Igbo And Yoruba People by RichyBlacK(m): 9:37am On Feb 04, 2008
didara86:

Thanks for the link, Richy

You're welcome. smiley

(0) (1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Nigirians Alwayz Say That Ghanians Are Ugly? / SE/SS, Strategies For Pulling Out Of The Corpse / Why Do Southerners Hate Northerners So Much In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See Nairalist and How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.