Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,838 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:45 PM

Microsoft Releases Windows Server 2012 To Power Cloud OS - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Microsoft Releases Windows Server 2012 To Power Cloud OS (872 Views)

Microsoft Releases Windows 10 Operating System / 24/7 HRS Power Bank For Laptop,Printer, iPAD, BB/PHONES Say No To Power Failure / Microsoft Releases Windows 8.1 Update (3.63GB To Address Operating System Lapses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Microsoft Releases Windows Server 2012 To Power Cloud OS by Acidosis(m): 1:14am On Sep 05, 2012
September 4, 2012 | 10:21 pm
Technology
By Emeka Aginam

In a global online launch event yesterday, the president of Microsoft Server and Tools Business, Satya Nadella has announced the general availability of Windows Server 2012 built from the cloud up for the modern datacenter.

In his keynote speech, Nadella described how Windows Server 2012 is a cornerstone of the Cloud Operating System (OS) that provides customers with a modern platform for the world’s applications.

“The operating system has always been the heartbeat of IT and is now undergoing a renaissance in the new world of continuous cloud services, connected devices and big data,” Nadella said, addig that “Microsoft’s unique legacy in the most widely used operating systems, applications and cloud services positions us to deliver the Cloud OS, based on Windows Server and Windows Azure, helping customers achieve a datacenter without boundaries.”

Enabling the modern datacenter: Microsoft built Windows Server 2012 from the cloud up, applying its experience operating global datacenters that rely on hundreds of thousands of servers to deliver more than 200 cloud services.

The software, Microsoft explained expands the definition of a server operating system and adds significant new advancements in virtualization, storage, networking and automation.

Hundreds of new features, according to him, can help customers achieve a transformational leap in the speed, scale and power of their datacenters and applications.

In combination with Windows Azure and System Center, Windows Server 2012, he added empowers customers to manage and deliver applications and services across private, hosted and public clouds. Customers find success with windows server 2012:

He further explained that customers can use their existing skills and investments in systems management, application development, database, identity and virtualization to take advantage of Windows Server 2012 and realize the promise of cloud computing. Many enterprise customers are already seeing tremendous value in early deployments.

“A survey of 70 early adopter customers from across the globe revealed that they expect, on average, 52 percent reduction in downtime, 41 percent reduction in workload deployment time, and 15 hours of productivity time saved per year, per employee. 91 percent of the companies surveyed expect a reduction in server administration, labor, and 88 percent expect reduction in network administration labor” he said.

Already, the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency (NAMA), the government’s safety authority for commercial flight operations, chooses Windows Server 2012 to utilize the existing IT infrastructure within the agency. as well as create a fully scalable and high density cloud environment.

“Deploying Windows Server 2012 has enabled us to do more with less, thereby reducing cost and enhancing considerably the ICT ROI for my organization and bringing efficiency in the use of technology to value-centric proportions,” said Mr. Ogochukwu I.F., CIO of NAMA.

Menzies Aviation, an airline passenger and cargo handling company that employs more than 17,000 people, is using Windows Server 2012 to provide identity access management and information access policies to its employees as it rapidly incorporates newly acquired businesses.

“We are very impressed byWindows Server 2012 and Microsoft’s overall solution to help us manage our systemsand applications across our private cloud , environments as they scale with our "business,” Martin Gallington, senior vice president of IT at Menzies Aviation, said, adding that , “This is a dramatic leap forward, matched by a simple, cost-effective pricing model.”

Equifax is a global information solutions provider that organizes and assimilates data on more than 500 million consumers and 81 million businesses worldwide. It now counts on Windows Server 2012 for improved reliability and uptime of its information services to clients.

“Windows Server 2012 revolutionizes how we can operate our datacenter, allowing us to better meet our commitments,” Bryan Garcia, chief technology officer at Equifax, also said, adding that, “The new high availably technologies help us deliver ‘always-on’ applications, and we’re betting on Hyper-V as a critical component of our private cloud strategy. We are gaining tremendous efficiencies, which translate into more time to innovate for company growth.”

www.vanguardngr.com/2012/09/microsoft-releases-windows-server-2012-to-power-cloud-os/
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows Server 2012 To Power Cloud OS by samfibby(m): 8:18am On Sep 05, 2012
When are u going to get 2012 certified? If microsoft is pushing for Cloud technology on enterprise platform, i hope its not for the trend as security still remains an issue. Cloud technology no doubt the next big thing after the internet. Windows has just made a giant step no doubt dwarfing the release of win 8 (admin opinion). The excitement is the inclusion of the powershell allowing administrators make remote connections through CLI,2300 commandlets compared to 200 previous (finally giving hear to admins yearning, unix users are already grinning in envy). Aside from cloud os inclusion, not a lot has changed. Authentication, network policy still managed by good old NPS, ADS (ACTIVE DIRECTORY SERVICE hasnt changed, i hope WIN server is stil optional, four editions will be available. Not in a hurry to upgrade, except new useful features i come across. Rating:3 stars
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows Server 2012 To Power Cloud OS by Caracta(f): 8:29am On Sep 05, 2012
@samfibby, how is security an issue in cloud technology? Methinks it's a good development, better than what we have at present. My problem is just understanding the cloud thingy perfectly. I need to know what makes up that 'cloud'. Like my friend would ask, "who owns the cloud cos i want to buy it?" lol
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows Server 2012 To Power Cloud OS by digitite: 10:22am On Sep 05, 2012
Does it mean that the old technology will become absolete ?

When is the new certification coming out ?
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows Server 2012 To Power Cloud OS by Caracta(f): 5:05pm On Sep 05, 2012
^^^
no, i don't think the old technology will be obsolete. I think it's an improvement on the old one in a better dimension.
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows Server 2012 To Power Cloud OS by digitite: 5:56pm On Sep 05, 2012
Caracta: ^^^
no, i don't think the old technology will be obsolete. I think it's an improvement on the old one in a better dimension.

I understand what you mean. What if this cloud technology is different to a greater extent ?

Have you experimented with it ?
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows Server 2012 To Power Cloud OS by samfibby(m): 7:38pm On Sep 05, 2012
Dont get it wrong, i am not entirely against cloud os. Just that the underlying technology which is virtualization, primarily replicates your data in a cloud infastructure managed by cloud providers. The providers must be able to assure customers that datas and applications in their facility is fully secured. I think a lot of folks see cloud technology from the infrastructure-as-a-service angle which drastically reduces networking, data storage, resource utilization without paying attention to the virtualization angle. Every form of technology has its pros and cons. Imagine you outsource back up of ur datas and datas to a cloud company to cut storage xpense. Attackers merely shift focus to getting credit card and informations of your customers and staffs from your local infastructure to the cloud provider. Privacy and ease of access is another area of concern. I hate to sound pessimistic about this innovative technology, but there are still rivers to cross. I was at a cloud conference hosted by a company from uk, when asked about level of security with the technology, the answers were wrapped around more multi layer firewall implementations which by many opinions merely complicates the entire process the. Aside this, internet access in this part of he world is another issue. The entire cloud concept is still evolving, as time goes on there would be work arounds.
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows Server 2012 To Power Cloud OS by Caracta(f): 9:42pm On Sep 05, 2012
^^^
I think i agree with you samfibby. 'People' will always found a way around the cloud providers. I won't be comfortable with or trust the Cloud idea until i'm fully convinced there are adequate security measures in place. It's a nice thing though.
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows Server 2012 To Power Cloud OS by samfibby(m): 10:22pm On Sep 05, 2012
Here are some cloud provider links that offer over the internet os. Its a great place to start toying around with cloud technology. Some have your conventional desktop environment and applications in place. You can upload your docs and files and access them from anywhere via the internet, some even have built in web browser (browser in browser) lol.

beta.cloudo.com
oos.cc (windows-like)
ios.info
eyeos.org
Re: Microsoft Releases Windows Server 2012 To Power Cloud OS by Caracta(f): 4:20pm On Sep 06, 2012
digitite:

I understand what you mean. What if this cloud technology is different to a greater extent ?

Have you experimented with it ?
No o! Lol. I'm neither a programmer nor a technologist. I'm just interested, that's all

(1) (Reply)

##all Computer Hardware And Software Troubles Solution Center / Should I Buy This Laptop? / Computer With Hotsport And Wifi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.