Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,290 members, 7,780,673 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:10 PM

Doctors, What Is The Effect Of Taking Two Bottles Of Star Bear Every Night - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctors, What Is The Effect Of Taking Two Bottles Of Star Bear Every Night (13577 Views)

Harmful Effects Of Taking Shisha / Effects Of Taking Too Much Garri On Sight / My Girlfriend Urinates On My Bed Every Night (bed Wetting): Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doctors, What Is The Effect Of Taking Two Bottles Of Star Bear Every Night by mecussey(m): 10:44am On Jan 06, 2008
Docs, please what is the effect of taking two bottles of Star bear every night, can it lead to Diabetes or any other thing. I feel good when I take bear it has a lot of energy and B complex with the malt, but I learnt this malt contains some amount of suger, can any one say exactly, how many percent of suger in every bear. I know the alcohol percentage and the hops is ok, the problem is the suger content, who knows?
Re: Doctors, What Is The Effect Of Taking Two Bottles Of Star Bear Every Night by mamaput(f): 11:39am On Jan 06, 2008
pot belly
Re: Doctors, What Is The Effect Of Taking Two Bottles Of Star Bear Every Night by ifyalways(f): 9:53pm On Jan 06, 2008
mamaput:

pot belly
lol
Re: Doctors, What Is The Effect Of Taking Two Bottles Of Star Bear Every Night by uspry1(f): 10:15pm On Jan 06, 2008
What is Energy drinks?
Energy drinks are soft drinks advertised as being specifically designed to provide energy. Generally they include a combination of methylxanthines (including caffeine), B vitamins, and herbal ingredients. Other ingredients commonly include guarana (extracts from the guarana plant) or taurine plus various forms of ginseng, maltodextrin, inositol, carnitine, creatine, glucuronolactone and ginkgo biloba. Some contain high levels of sugar, while most brands also offer an artificially sweetened version. The central ingredient in most energy drinks is caffeine the same stimulant found in coffee or tea, often in the form of guarana (as in Josta, for example) or yerba mate.

What is it equivalent to?
The average 237 ml (8 fl. oz.) energy drink has about 80mg of caffeine, about the same amount as a weak cup of coffee, with 480 ml (16 fl. oz.) drinks containing around 150mg, although recent drinks have created a stir by containing as much as 300mg of caffeine. The amount of quantitative 'energy' (as measured in Calories) found in these drinks is often lower than that found in regular soft drinks and currently there is no scientific basis for concluding that the non-caffeine elements in these drinks contribute to either short-term mental alertness or physical performance.

These drinks are typically marketed to young people, and people 'on the go.' Approximately 65% percent of energy drink users are under the age of 35 years old, with males representing approximately 65% of the market.

What are Side effects
Energy drinks may cause seizures in those who suffer from certain forms of epilepsy due to the "crash" following the energy high that occurs after consumption. France has banned the popular energy drink Red Bull after the untimely death of eighteen-year-old athlete Ross Cooney, who died after he played a basketball game shortly after consuming four cans of the drink. The French Scientific Committee concluded that Red Bull has excessive amounts of caffeine. Denmark has also banned that particular drink. Britain also investigated the drink, but only issued a warning against its use by pregnant women.

In addition to these complications, recent discoveries have linked excessive amounts of sugar found in energy drinks such as Rockstar, Hype, Monster, Cocaine, and Hulk to an increase in diabetes. Diabetes Mellitus in particular has seen an increase in energy drink consumers. Diabetes mellitus is caused by an excess of purines[citation needed] (caffeine and taurine, also sulfonic acid) which accumulate in the body and can not longer be processed by the kidneys. This leads to dumping of these proteins into the blood and urine, osmotic drainage of fluid, dehydration, damage to body and progression of diabetic symptoms[citation needed]. It may also cause nephrolithiasis.[citation needed]

In the United States, some states are cracking down on energy drink makers that have potentially hazardous ingredients, such as alcohol included in the mix

Its History
It may well have come from Scotland in the form of Irn-Bru, first produced in the form of "Iron Brew" in 1901. In Japan, the energy drink phenomenon dates at least as far back as the early 1960s, with the release of the Lipovitan. Most such products in Japan bear little resemblance to soft drinks, and are sold instead in small brown glass medicine bottles or cans styled to resemble such containers. These "genki drinks", which are also produced in South Korea, are marketed primarily to the salaryman set, to help them work long hours, or to stay awake on the late commute home.

In UK, Lucozade Energy was originally introduced in 1929 as a hospital drink for "aiding the recovery;" in the early 1980s, it was promoted as an energy drink for "replenishing lost energy."

In 1995, PepsiCo launched Josta, the first energy drink introduced by a major US beverage company.

In Europe, energy drinks were pioneered by Dietrich Mateschitz, an Austrian entrepreneur who developed Red Bull based on the Thai drink Krating Daeng, itself based on Lipovitan. Red Bull was introduced to the US in 1997 and is the dominant brand there, with a market share of approximately 47%.

By the year 2001, the US energy drink market had grown to nearly 8 billion per year in retail sales. Over the last 5 years, it grew an average of over 50% per year, totaling over $3 billion in 2005.
Diet energy drinks are growing at nearly twice that rate within the category, as are 16-ounce sized energy drinks. It is estimated to hit nearly 4 billion in 2006, and both Goldman Sachs and Mintel predict that the energy drink market will hit $10 billion by 2010. Major players such as Pepsi, Coca-Cola, Molson, and Labatt have tried to match the small companies' innovative and different approach, with marginal success.

Energy drinks have also become popular as mixers. Many malt beverages such as Sparks, 3sum malt beverage and Max capitalize on the effects of caffeine while drinking alcohol.

Derivatives
Smart energy drinks combine energy drinks with smart drinks. Drinks such as SmartPower and NOS claim that their ingredients modulate how the brain neurochemistry reacts to caffeine, enhancing its positive effects and reducing side-effects.[citation needed]

"Hair of the Dog" brand Energy Drinks are intended to supply liver detoxifiers and anti-oxidants in order to neutralize the effects of alcohol on the body. The combination of detoxifiers was originally developed by doctors to aid cancer patients taking chemotherapy drugs to combat the harmful effects of the drugs have on the liver.[citation needed]

Hybrids of energy and sport drinks, containing electrolytes and herbal extracts such as RELOAD and Vault are also available.

See also
List of energy drinks from wikipedia.com

Source Cited: http://arts-luxurydrink..com/2007/11/energy-drink.html
Re: Doctors, What Is The Effect Of Taking Two Bottles Of Star Bear Every Night by cute9jaguy(m): 10:29pm On Jan 06, 2008
@uspry1
nice research.its helpful
Re: Doctors, What Is The Effect Of Taking Two Bottles Of Star Bear Every Night by naijaking1: 5:53am On Jan 07, 2008
@uspry

Nice piece, but the poster is talking about taking 2 large bottles of beer everynight.

In the US, these bottles would equivalent to regular 2.5 12oz beer bottle each. So drinking 2 large bottles a night is about taking 4-5 bottles of budweiser q night.

He is talking about alcoholism here. He talks about the good feeling he gets from the drink, I'm sure his family/friends must be complaining, his job might even be suffering.

Abrupt withdrawal might lead to symptoms of anxiety, sweating, elevated heart and breathing rates.

Recommendation= slowly cut down to 11/2 bottles, then 1 bottle, then 1/2 bottle before finally stopping, but the poster needs to quit.
Re: Doctors, What Is The Effect Of Taking Two Bottles Of Star Bear Every Night by mecussey(m): 11:38am On Jan 11, 2008
There is no answer here yet, question, how much sugar does a bottle of Star contains? is it as much sugar as a bottle of coke or half, Fanta or sprite? please good answers
Re: Doctors, What Is The Effect Of Taking Two Bottles Of Star Bear Every Night by ifyalways(f): 3:56pm On Jan 11, 2008
mecussey:

There is no answer here yet, question, how much sugar does a bottle of Star contains? is it as much sugar as a bottle of coke or half, Fanta or sprite? please good answers
na waoo for you oooh which one come be good answer? cheesy grin cheesy
as for the real sugar content in a bottle of star lager beer i suggest you take a trip to nigerian breweries tongue that way,you wud come out with the most accurate answer .

but i think shine shine bobo(star beer) does not contain as much sugar as coke/fanta/non-alcoholic drinks do.
the main gist is,esp from naija kings reply too much consumption of your star lager might be detrimental to your work,family and even your health.
Re: Doctors, What Is The Effect Of Taking Two Bottles Of Star Bear Every Night by fsb(m): 12:28pm On Jan 13, 2008
I believe that when it comes to your case (taking 2 bottles of star beer every night), the last question you should ask is the sugar content? If you're worried about your health, there are much larger concerns, EXCESSIVE USE OF ALCOHOL IS (not has been known) known to cause LIVER CIRRHOSIS.

Regardless of what you have heard in the past, developing diabetes mellitus is more of the body's ability to produce insulin than how much sugar you take in. The triky thing is that people say when you take too much sugar, you get diabetes, NOT TOTALLY TRUE. If it was an absolute truth, diabetes would be a disease found primarily in children (who can eat a box of chocolates). Now, a few children get diabetes but their diabetes is not because they ate too much sugar, it's either because the cells producing insulin in their pancreas get destroyed from 101 reasons or quite rarely because the insulin they are producing is ineffective.

In both children and in adults (to a lesser degree), the body will always respond to too much sugar in the system by producing insulin to remove this sugar , converting it to glycogen stores in the tissues.

Why then do adults get diabetes, if its not from excess sugar intake? The answer is simple, they get it because their body changes, they no longer have that sharp ability to produce insulin sufficient enough to remove the pool of excess sugar from the blood. It's complicated but I hope I've been able to put it very simple to you. That's the primary reason but please note that there are several other causes of diabetes than the mechanism I've explained. Reading the above, it is clear why people give the general advice of staying clear of too much sugar as an adult.

Beer is the best known source of silicon (great for the bones); it also contains other minerals which you can get from regularly eating our Nigerian diet. What I believe you need to do is worry about liver cirrhosis and reduce your intake of beer. Your body is not a tank, it can wear and tear!
Re: Doctors, What Is The Effect Of Taking Two Bottles Of Star Bear Every Night by ifyalways(f): 3:11pm On Jan 13, 2008
fsb:

Beer is the best known source of silicon (great for the bones)
i used to think it was cereals and grains.
your post was educating esp the part abt sugar and diabetes.
Re: Doctors, What Is The Effect Of Taking Two Bottles Of Star Bear Every Night by fsb(m): 5:31pm On Jan 13, 2008
ifyalways:

i used to think it was cereals and grains.
your post was educating esp the part about sugar and diabetes.

Thanks very much for your comment, I do hope the post was helpful to others as well.
Re: Doctors, What Is The Effect Of Taking Two Bottles Of Star Bear Every Night by mecussey(m): 8:56am On Jan 15, 2008
FSB, correct, thanks man
Re: Doctors, What Is The Effect Of Taking Two Bottles Of Star Bear Every Night by toaspromo(m): 8:06pm On Aug 01, 2013
IMPENDING DIABETES
Re: Doctors, What Is The Effect Of Taking Two Bottles Of Star Bear Every Night by yash33: 12:18pm On Oct 18, 2013
BEER CONTAINS ZERO SUGAR, BUT ! IT PROVIDES ITS OWN ENERGY AND SINCE IT IS A POISON, YOUR LIVER GOES TO WORK INSTANTLY CONVERTING THE ALCOHOL INTO ALDEHYDES ( WHICH GIVE YOU A HANGOVER).
ALCOHOL ALSO REDUCES YOUR WAHALA i.e. YOU DON NOT DENY YOURSELF WOMEN OR FOOD, IT IS THE FOODS YOU EAT WHILE ALCOHOL IS IN YOUR SYSTEM i.e. SUGAR , eba, pound et al, COULD RESULT IN DIABETES.

SO YOUNG MAN! LISTEN TO YOUR PASTOR, DO NOT DRINK TO GET DRUNK, AND IF YOU EAT ON AN EMPTY STOMACH, NA ULCER BE THAT
Re: Doctors, What Is The Effect Of Taking Two Bottles Of Star Bear Every Night by gynny(f): 7:56pm On Aug 07, 2016
Ginkgo biloba benefits are medicinal. Ginkgo biloba has been used medicinally for so many years. Ginkgo is gotten from the ginkgo tree and is one of the top-selling herbs in the United States. Click on the link below to read more.
http://www.gigihealth.com/ginkgo-biloba-benefits-ginkgo-biloba/

(1) (Reply)

Borno Discharges 135 COVID-19 Patients Today / FG To Ban ‘Date Molestation Drug’ / Help My Husband!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.