Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:49 AM

Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? - Family (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? (34316 Views)

Where Did You Meet Your Spouse? / Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? / Why do Ladies become disrespectful to their Inlaws after Childbirth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by bjcole(m): 2:11pm On Sep 07, 2012
Siena:

If your spouse is a lawyer or doctor, you're telling me you should have access to her confidential and business issues?? Jesus! What would you want with them? If you feel the Confidentiality Clause is a load of bull, you tell her clients, and see how fast they'll drop your spouse. Not to talk of the legal implications that will ensue. If she's a lawyer or doctor, she could even be struck off the register.
cct

My brother you are not getting it, nobody is saying you come home to discuss day to day activities with your spouse, it is unnecessary, but i bet you will run to him\ her when one of those your supposed private, business or confidentiality lands you into wahala to seek his\ her help and advice, in fact your spouse is involved automatically. Now coming to the issue, when two becomes one there are no private issues anymore. It will amazes you how much secrets spouses keep away from themselves. Marriage can only excel on this principle.

I will say here emphatically that any home where friends know more about you than your spouse, then it is not healthy, you are only pushing the evil day, it will surely come. I was doing like that before and i can tell you how much regrets i have for that.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by free2ryhme: 2:22pm On Sep 07, 2012
Ujujoan:

Before nko?

He wont be my first and last e-stalker na . . . Na today?

You possess a mind not merely twisted, but actually sprained.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by bjcole(m): 2:24pm On Sep 07, 2012
jennykadry: ^^^ if you were not married I would have added you to the list of my e-husbands. But that your wife is not to be trusted. I won't be alive to tell my story after she is done with me cheesy grin
That strong akpuruka woman
madam understand, it is on the basis of trust that u can even have access to ur spouse phone. how much interesting will it be if ur spouse can attend ur calls for when you r there. there is no secresy in marriage, it negates Gods principle, dnt bend
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Kobojunkie: 2:27pm On Sep 07, 2012
bjcole:
I will say here emphatically that any home where friends know more about you than your spouse, then it is not healthy, you are only pushing the evil day, it will surely come. I was doing like that before and i can tell you how much regrets i have for that.

That is why, on most every program these days, people are told that COMMUNICATION is key in every marriage. grin grin grin How can you have COMMUNICATION when some believe they need their PRIVACY even in marriage.

People who choose to remain single for life do it mostly because they cherish their privacy. You take that reason from them and add that to marriage, what do you get? A relationship that is not that much different from one between a man and woman who are just living with each other. grin
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by bjcole(m): 2:34pm On Sep 07, 2012
@ jennykardy & her cronies, pls dnt bend the rule to suit what you do in your homes. we need to promote togetherness not individualism. Ask yourself why are marriages breaking this. People seems to promote their profession more than their marriage

@ Uju dnt let anybody confuse u, there is no any disrespect whatsoever in picking your spouse phone if you wish so.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Kobojunkie: 2:38pm On Sep 07, 2012
bjcole: @ jennykardy & her cronies, pls dnt bend the rule to suit what you do in your homes. we need to promote togetherness not individualism. Ask yourself why are marriages breaking this. People seems to promote their profession more than their marriage

@ Uju dnt let anybody confuse u, there is no any disrespect whatsoever in picking your spouse phone if you wish so.

I believe we instead need to promote togetherness AND individualism in marriage . Individualism has little or nothing to do with what this is talking of. There are millions of individuals out there who do not have secrets to keep from those in their immediate family, or friends.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by MrsChima1(f): 2:52pm On Sep 07, 2012
afam4eva:
Do couples use protection normally?

Yes. There are couples...where one is HIV/AIDS infected or both......to prevent pregnancy....wife may be allergic to bodily fluids...and host of other reasons.

There are many married couples who uses protection...being married doesn't protect you from danger. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Sep 07, 2012
bjcole: @ Uju dnt let anybody confuse u, there is no any disrespect whatsoever in picking your spouse phone if you wish so.

Bro, you keep turning things around. What has answering calls got to do with reading text messages, intended for someone else? Answering calls for your spouse is very different from dashing to his / her handset the moment a text alert comes through.

I'd say you're the one confused here. Phone calls and text messages are very different.

bjcole: My brother you are not getting it, nobody is saying you come home to discuss day to day activities with your spouse, it is unnecessary, but i bet you will run to him\ her when one of those your supposed private, business or confidentiality lands you into wahala to seek his\ her help and advice, in fact your spouse is involved automatically.

That's where you're making a baseless assumption. If I had a business or confidential issue, that pertains to a client or other business associate, and it blew up into a mess I felt I couldn't cope with, I'd consult my solicitor, that's what they're there for. Not my wife. I take the Confidentiality Clause pretty seriously.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by MrsChima1(f): 2:58pm On Sep 07, 2012
It is sad to see that some people would rather their spouse to lose their job, business, and practice in the sake of "we are one" mentality.

I think I need to start asking any person who is married such as a doctor, lawyer, or therapist if they are into sharing clients' information to their spouse. If they answer yes......Lawd help them!
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by bjcole(m): 2:59pm On Sep 07, 2012
@ kobojunkie, i completely agree with you, if you dont want ur spouse to know about ur professional privacy keep it in your office or clinic. some even argue of if u r a lawyer or medics wit loads of private issues, will you want ur spouse to know, d rule is keep no secret from each other, if ur spouse stumbles on ur phone or checks if he/she wishes & sees anything abt ur profession, it is nt a secret u r keeping from him, its just that u dnt see any reason telling him/her.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Sep 07, 2012
bjcole: @ kobojunkie, i completely agree with you, if you dont want ur spouse to know about ur professional privacy keep it in your office or clinic. some even argue of if u r a lawyer or medics wit loads of private issues, will you want ur spouse to know, d rule is keep no secret from each other, if ur spouse stumbles on ur phone or checks if he/she wishes & sees anything abt ur profession, it is nt a secret u r keeping from him, its just that u dnt see any reason telling him/her.

Sometimes, it's impossible to keep your work away from home. A client could text you while you're at home. As for your spouse stumbling upon your phone, there's no such thing. It's like saying they read your text messages by accident.

Reading your spouse's text messages is a form of control, where you feel "in charge" by having access to text messages that aren't meant for you.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Kobojunkie: 3:10pm On Sep 07, 2012
bjcole: @ kobojunkie, i completely agree with you, if you dont want ur spouse to know about ur professional privacy keep it in your office or clinic. some even argue of if u r a lawyer or medics wit loads of private issues, will you want ur spouse to know, d rule is keep no secret from each other, if ur spouse stumbles on ur phone or checks if he/she wishes & sees anything abt ur profession, it is nt a secret u r keeping from him, its just that u dnt see any reason telling him/her.

In my opinion, if you have a profession that requires you keep confidential information, then I don't see how bringing that information into your home is an excuse. Most companies require that folks leave that information at work, or in your private office, and not on your PERSONAL communication device, or your private property.
I know this because I work on projects that majorly require my signing confidentiality agreements, and the lot, before touching company data, and the client in most cases gives me a separate laptop, and a separate phone to do work related stuff on. It works in helping you separate personal life from work life. And like I already said, my employer knows that when he/she contacts me on my private line, company rules are off( I can't get sued if data exposed during that session). grin grin grin grin grin grin
I have a friend who is a doctor in NY and that is essentially the way she approaches these things as well.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by bjcole(m): 3:21pm On Sep 07, 2012
Mrs..Chima:
It is sad to see that some people would rather their spouse to lose their job, business, and practice in the sake of "we are one" mentality.
madam dnt run away from d point, no spouse is interested in d client information except you caused it by creating suspicion or ur spouse is just suspecting but u sort that out, i dont knw how. but to say because i m doctor, lawyer or what, my spouse cannot pick or read my texts, i dont know, may be we r rewriting d rule.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by MrsChima1(f): 3:44pm On Sep 07, 2012
bjcole: madam dnt run away from d point, no spouse is interested in d client information except you caused it by creating suspicion or ur spouse is just suspecting but u sort that out, i dont knw how. but to say because i m doctor, lawyer or what, my spouse cannot pick or read my texts, i dont know, may be we r rewriting d rule.

Nukka what? Run from what? You are vapid and get back to posting stup!d shit. LMAO@me being suspicious by protecting my clients' information. It is sad to see who is trying to get married these days. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

My last statement still remains.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by bjcole(m): 3:49pm On Sep 07, 2012
If u get into any trouble because your spouse sees a confidential info on your phone, its your cross, you have to carry it. @ siena i m nt discussing what works for you or me, i m telling you about one of the principle of marriage. I can tell u that lots feel they see their spouse texts even though they appear as if they are bother. Now i still cant see d offence in picking my spouse to read her text message disrespectful. If i ve to many confidential info, i keep it my office. I browse
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by MrsChima1(f): 3:55pm On Sep 07, 2012
Why are you defensive and grabbing straws boo boo??? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

It is not that SERIOUS. grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by jmoore(m): 4:31pm On Sep 07, 2012
If you are not married then it is disrespectful unless you are given permission to read it. But if you are married it's not disrespectful
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by free2ryhme: 4:33pm On Sep 07, 2012
If at all you must read your spouse sms u have to do it with his/her permission.. Dont see it as a right. women makes this mistake alot..
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by dayokanu(m): 4:53pm On Sep 07, 2012
bjcole: If u get into any trouble because your spouse sees a confidential info on your phone, its your cross, you have to carry it. @ siena i m nt discussing what works for you or me, i m telling you about one of the principle of marriage. I can tell u that lots feel they see their spouse texts even though they appear as if they are bother. Now i still cant see d offence in picking my spouse to read her text message disrespectful. If i ve to many confidential info, i keep it my office. I browse

What a load of bull. Your job is different from your personal life.

Even with your pastor, Do you think he discusses every issue with his spouse? You mean every personal confession made to your pastor or Priest is leaked to his wife? So if Someone came to your Pastor to confess he is cheating on his wife with a church member you think your Pastor would go to his wife to inform her?

So if you work as a State Security Operative, you also have to divulge all your work business to your wife? Including the Hotel the President would be sleeping and his travel schedule? Just because you are supposed to be one?

So you think Barack Obama told Michelle that they were going to get Osama Bin Laden 2 days before the strike? Or are they not supposed to be one? Or why was he hiding stuffs from his wife?

An attorney defending a criminal would tell his wife that the guy killed someone but he is just lying in court?

Or the doctor would tell you that when IBB came to the Hospital he came to treat mental illness?

1 Like

Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Sep 07, 2012
dayokanu:

Even with your pastor, Do you think he discusses every issue with his spouse? You mean every personal confession made to your pastor or Priest is leaked to his wife? So if Someone came to your Pastor to confess he is cheating on his wife with a church member you think your Pastor would go to his wife to inform her?

So if you work as a State Security Operative, you also have to divulge all your work business to your wife? Including the Hotel the President would be sleeping and his travel schedule? Just because you are supposed to be one?

So you think Barack Obama told Michelle that they were going to get Osama Bin Laden 2 days before the strike? Or are they not supposed to be one? Or why was he hiding stuffs from his wife?

An attorney defending a criminal would tell his wife that the guy killed someone but he is just lying in court?

Or the doctor would tell you that when IBB came to the Hospital he came to treat mental illness?

So in other words spouses cannot be trusted because they can leak out confidential stuff which can make their spouses jobless and which is definately going to affect them and change their way of life? Is that your point?

Because I don't know what the rambling is all about.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Kobojunkie: 8:20pm On Sep 07, 2012
dayokanu:

Fortunately/unfortunately, the answer is yes many of the times. I have heard some pastors, including mine say it outright that we should not expect to tell him something and not have his wife know of it. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Also, this discussion has been about PERSONAL DATA, not WORK DATA. We all know that WORK usually happens AT WORK. And not at home. Anyone who works at state department and brings his work home, is only creating problems for himself since State Department requires that employees not do that at all. I worked with the State Department and I know that we were required not to take work data home. If you want to work from home, you are usually provided a separate Laptop, and you VPN into secure networks etc to do that. A lot of companies have adopted that approach to securing their data since they do understand that people want to work from home but the home is not a SECURE environment.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by freecocoa(f): 8:23pm On Sep 07, 2012
Still on the matter?

No be small thing sha. cheesy
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by EfemenaXY: 10:47pm On Sep 07, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Fortunately/unfortunately, the answer is yes many of the times. I have heard some pastors, including mine say it outright that we should not expect to tell him something and not have his wife know of it. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Also, this discussion has been about PERSONAL DATA, not WORK DATA. We all know that WORK usually happens AT WORK. And not at home. Anyone who works at state department and brings his work home, is only creating problems for himself since State Department requires that employees not do that at all. I worked with the State Department and I know that we were required not to take work data home. If you want to work from home, you are usually provided a separate Laptop, and you VPN into secure networks etc to do that. A lot of companies have adopted that approach to securing their data since they do understand that people want to work from home but the home is not a SECURE environment.

In that case, thank goodness I'm catholic.

Our priests are celibate - that way, I don't have to worry about my "confessions" leaked out to another soul... cool
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Kobojunkie: 10:56pm On Sep 07, 2012
Efemena_xy:

Our priests are celibate - that way, I don't have to worry about my "confessions" leaked out to another soul... cool
Oh please no, we don't want to go there! The whole world already knows what the problems with that nonsense is at the end of the day. . . shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by EfemenaXY: 11:00pm On Sep 07, 2012
^^ Meaning?? angry
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Kobojunkie: 11:09pm On Sep 07, 2012
Efemena_xy: ^^ Meaning?? angry

um . . . do you know how many people around the world have filed cases against priests for HOLDING on to information on behalf of criminals and molesters? I think recently, one priest here was sentenced to some years for not informing the police after a criminal confessed to him.

Anywho, in the case of the one pastor there, his wife also happens to be a pastor and sort of serves as his conscience.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by EfemenaXY: 11:22pm On Sep 07, 2012
Kobojunkie:

um . . . [b]do you know how many people around the world have filed cases against priests for HOLDING on to information on behalf of criminals and molesters? [/b]I think recently, one priest here was sentenced to some years for not informing the police after a criminal confessed to him.

Anywho, in the case of the one pastor there, his wife also happens to be a pastor and sort of serves as his conscience.

No, I don't know how many people around the world have filed cases against priests for HOLDING on to information on behalf of criminals and molesters.

What has that got to do with my going to confessions to "bare my soul" if I so wish? Did I indicate in my post that I've got criminal intentions of any sort? How does that apply to me or the post I made reference to?

And secondly, do you think people would go for confessions if they know the priest would divulge their information to others?

Thirdly, what has this response of yours got to do with the topic of this thread??

Honestly Kobo! Stay on track and stop derailing! angry angry
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Nobody: 7:52am On Sep 08, 2012
^^^ Omoni meh, Efe! Ememe-rah! Marvo? wink
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by bjcole(m): 4:40pm On Sep 08, 2012
Efemena_xy:

Madam Confession is not a secret matter anymore, your heart is straight with God and you are required to do restitution, If you are still afraid of it being leaked, or heard by someone else, then it is not confession. You also confess to the person you sin against
That is why those keeping things from their spouses should know that the day of restitution is coming, where they will have to tell all they have been doing at their back, because your conscience will judge you. I regretted some things i did in the past when i got an insight of this.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Kobojunkie: 4:46pm On Sep 08, 2012
Efemena_xy:

No, I don't know how many people around the world have filed cases against priests for HOLDING on to information on behalf of criminals and molesters.

What has that got to do with my going to confessions to "bare my soul" if I so wish? Did I indicate in my post that I've got criminal intentions of any sort? How does that apply to me or the post I made reference to?

And secondly, do you think people would go for confessions if they know the priest would divulge their information to others?

Thirdly, what has this response of yours got to do with the topic of this thread??

Honestly Kobo! Stay on track and stop derailing! angry angry

Think Confessions, Catholic Church, the scandals of the last 7 years in the Catholic church. That is where I am coming from. There has been an increase in the number of cases filed against priests in connection to the sex, crimes . . those directly involved and priests who these criminals supposedly confessed to, essentially they had knowledge of the crimes, but kept it a secret.

Um. . . . in my particular church, people still go to see the pastor for advice on their issues knowing very well that the case is high that the wife would know of it. And it sort of makes it seem OK because they are able to discuss with either the Pastor or his wife(Pastor as well) without feeling they need to start from the beginning with any of the two.

I don't think all people really expect their stories to remain secret(locked up in a vault somewhere) . . . In many cases than not, they just want someone to talk to. That is why people go to bars, anywhere there are people to talk to. Like I said, I don't like to keep secrets. . . don't like people who gossip about me either(usually, you can get the story straight from me by asking) so when I go to speak to the pastor, I typically don't go there with a SECRET that most people don't already know of.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Sep 08, 2012
dude there's nothing 'accident' about it. No matter how you proclaim yourselves as one,both parties still need some level of privacy. Its disrespectful to read without permission.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Sep 08, 2012
Kobojunkie:

um . . . do you know how many people around the world have filed cases against priests for HOLDING on to information on behalf of criminals and molesters? I think recently, one priest here was sentenced to some years for not informing the police after a criminal confessed to him.

the truth is that these priests jst found themselves in dilemma. Whether to obey the church and keep confession secret or to report to police. Most time they go with the church. But one thing is clear about the canon law on confession;the confessor can never be absolved of his sin untill he or she apologises or confesses to the group or person he or she offended. Some cases like abortion has a well outlined process of absolution,same with other cases like rape,killing etc

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Should I Marry This Man? / I Have Phobia For Pregnant Women. / Could My Wife Be Cheating?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.