Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,932 members, 7,799,141 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 03:58 PM

An Open Letter To DSTV - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / An Open Letter To DSTV (1787 Views)

Help! I Have An Idea I Would Like To Sell To DSTV / Letter To Dstv On Big Brother Africa By Iyinkaye Al-ameen / A Message To DSTV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Open Letter To DSTV by macnuel: 7:30pm On Sep 05, 2012
“You have been repeating movies at an amazing rate and still charge us exorbitant fees.” – An Open Letter To DStv

Just when i thought only those subscribed to DStv (MultiChoice’s multi-channel digital satellite TV service in Africa which boasts of over 100 channels) in Nigeria had big issues with the satellite network being repetitive and dull, i came across this letter on Ghafla!  by Ngash Mtrue to DStv Kenya echoing my thoughts or at least some of them.

I’m most grateful that someone actually took time out to say what tons of people have been muttering under their breath and don’t deny you’re not one of those either wishing/hoping DStv shows some decent flicks or like Mtrue mentions in his letter “introduce a sports only package, SuperSports and ESPN..” 

One trend DStv follows which i have noticed is this, when it comes to movies, they love showing (repeatedly) original movies (be it 80′s or 90′s) of movie remakes that are currently showing in cinemas or about to. And don’t let me get started on the words they censor even after you’ve selected the ‘Original Language’ option.

Read the open letter sent from a subscriber like many people out there frustrated with the service being paid for.

“I’m writing this as an esteemed client for the last couple of years and I wish to state that the quality of programmes are way below my expectations. You have been repeating movies and documentaries at an amazing rate and still charging us exorbitant fees.

Last night on M-net Action, Con-Air was being screened for the 12th time in 40 days!!! I look at the comedy channel and there’s nothing to smile about. You are screening comedies that were the in thing in the early ’90s, way before Tupac’s death!!!

While I do understand that repetitions are a must in the pay TV business, you have taken to a whole new level. Matter of fact, apart from SuperSport, ESPN, BBC Knowledge and the Discoveries channels, everything else borders a fraud.

I honestly can’t wait for my subscription to expire so that I can join either Zuku or Starcom. Zuku are offering more channels than you, internet connection and a land line at a cheaper rate than your premium package. Starcom on the other hand are screening updated reality TV programmes like the Kardashians, Amazing Race etc.

They are also screening the latest flicks like Spiderman and Batman while you are busy feeding us Con-Air and Walker, the Texas ranger! Come on, you do realize that you are milking us dry and giving us substandard programmes. Could you please introduce a sports only package, SuperSports and ESPN or I jump ship.

I have figured that I can get quality pay TV from Starcom for Kshs. 500 per month and a one time connection fee of Kshs. 4,000 which I shall raise from the sale of my DSTV dish as scrap metal. Then, I shall be watching the EPL/La Liga games at my local pub where even if I consume four beers per game every weekend, it will be way below the Kshs. 6,900 you are charging me for substandard programmes and outdated movies.

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw Chuck Norris on my screen! Over to you DStv Kenya.

PS- I’m actually watching another repeat on the Universal Channel even as I type this letter!!!”

Source: Movie Markers
http://moviemarkers.net/movie-news/you-have-been-repeating-movies-at-an-amazing-rate-and-still-charge-us-exorbitant-fees-an-open-letter-to-dstv/

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To DSTV by sixbon2000(m): 9:10am On Sep 06, 2012
Pls i need more info on zuku and starcom. Do they have websites with their rates?
Re: An Open Letter To DSTV by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:58am On Sep 06, 2012
hehehehe, but i thought you people always slated other providers for not having movie channels

so its now you are realising at least 2 year old movies are just not it
Re: An Open Letter To DSTV by macnuel: 1:19pm On Sep 06, 2012
sixbon2000: Pls i need more info on zuku and starcom. Do they have websites with their rates?

The letter actually was sourced from somewhere in Kenya where I believe Zuku and Starcom operate. Unless you're probably from that region grin

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To DSTV by macnuel: 1:24pm On Sep 06, 2012
sixbon2000: Pls i need more info on zuku and starcom. Do they have websites with their rates?

The letter actually was sourced from somewhere in Kenya where I believe Zuku and Starcom operate. Unless you're probably from that region grin

@4llerbuntu
If one pays for subscribing to a service, he/she deserves a good service in return. There are no other providers that charge as much as DSTV in Nigeria and for that much is expected of them. So if we complain, I think we deserve to because we have right to a better service since we pay that much.
Re: An Open Letter To DSTV by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:42pm On Sep 06, 2012
bro i agree with you entirely o.

its just that many times on this same board people badmouth providers that charge a fraction of what DSTV charges because they dont have "good" movie channels. and usually they state that DSTV is the best thing.

when you try to argue that even the so-called movies on DSTV is a bit overrated, they tell you its because you cannot afford DSTV etc etc!!

how do you want people who don't know/agree that they are being cheated to protest against being cheated?

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To DSTV by macnuel: 6:40am On Sep 10, 2012
Lol. You one ironically funny thing? We Nigerians don't yet understand what our right is. You can still imagine that if a company like PHCN keeps the power on for 24hrs plus, you start to hear comments like "PHCN tried oh. This light has been on for a long time." It's funny when you praise a provider for the service you deserve when in actual fact, they don't deserve any praise because they are giving you real value for your money. So I'm not usually surprised cos that's what's trending in the Nigerian circle. I'm hoping that one day, we'll start seeing that no firm or provider deserves any defence so far they're not doing it for free.

(1) (Reply)

Lesbianism Practice In High Places…top Comedian’s Wife, Actresses In The Act / Be The First To Download Legends Of Tomorrow - S03E13 (new) / Recent Reality Show Craze Craze in Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.