Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:17 AM

Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria (5528 Views)

Police To Arraign DPO For Involvement In Serious Crimes Including Murder / Reminder 2 Nigerian Some Cases Of Unresolved Political Assassinations In Nigeria / Reps Urge Buhari To Revisit Unresolved Murder Cases (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by FrontPageLawyer(m): 12:16pm On Sep 06, 2012
I am addicted to Crime scene investigation on channel 125 and 252. I love how they begin from the unknown, and use the known, and available, to solve a crime that was committed without witnesses.

Most times, they are able to do this when the crime scene has not been compromised, and the evidence contaminated.This is possible only when the police are able to isolate, and insulate, a crime scene.This preserves the integrity of the crime scene, and makes it possible to piece together available evidence to solve the crime. Compare this with what happens in a typical crime scene in Nigeria. Who killed Bola Ige, Funsho Williams, Adedipupo Dina, Dikkibo? any clue yet on who killed Harry Marshall, Ayo Daramola and Tunde Omojola ? and the lists are endless

2006, Engineer Funso Williams, a notable politician in the firmament of Lagos politics was tied up, and stabbed several times, until he died. It was a brutal act, and the state government, seeking to show that it had no hand in the death, invited forensic investigators from abroad. The experts came with their sophisticated equipment, and went to work, they were stunned by what they found, in the room where the man had been stabbed, they found over one thousand fingerprints. How do you process one thousand fingerprints? In frustration, the experts left, and the crime has not been solved till now.

The problem was that when the fellow was stabbed, all manner of sympathisers thronged his house, from old women who sell in the market, to shoe shine boys, all were allowed to go in and see where the dastardly deed was done. In the process, they ruined the crime scene. members of the public, and even the police, do not know how to treat a crime scene. And you you keep wondering if there were never taught Crime Scene Investigation.

After the police headquarters bombing, many "dignitaries" including our president, went to see the crime scene for themselves. Before then, the police had contaminated the crime scene themselves, they moved the gnarled, and mangled, remains of cars, and other debris indiscriminately, in the cause of clearing the place.When the dignitaries came, they only compounded an already dire situation.

Sometimes, when I see a centrifuge machine used in CSI Miami, to extract the DNA from evidence gathered, or a laser beam to plot the trajectory of a bullet in order to determine the position of the shooter, or to find a bullet slug, I keep wondering if the Americans and other serious nations were specially created by God.

We need to educate the public, and the police, on the need to reign in our emotions, and stay away from crime scenes, until they have been reopened to the public by the police.

Until we do this, crimes will remain unsolved in Nigeria, because the perpetrators understand that the public would be on hand to erase their trace once the crime is discovered.

4 Likes

Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 2:52pm On Sep 06, 2012
Why will crimes be resolved when the culprits are the government while their friends are heading law enforcement agencies.

1 Like

Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by miteolu(m): 2:52pm On Sep 06, 2012
Crimes? our hobbies, skill, special interest, extra -curriculum activities and profession.
Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:53pm On Sep 06, 2012
This is a very serious issue yet i`m fighting hard not to burst out laughing.
Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by Kesmakveli(m): 2:59pm On Sep 06, 2012
because our leaderz are the perpetrators of these crimes.. Shikina! sad
Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by SisiKill1: 3:02pm On Sep 06, 2012
I'm sorry. . .I couldn't get past CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION. Seriously? CSI?? The TV show??

You do realize that even the real crime solvers condemn the show for its contrived display of crime solving.

I'd rather you had used real honest to goodness detective work as done in many advanced countries.
Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by hrhobi1(m): 3:08pm On Sep 06, 2012
@ op Tell me what you can do with a DNA sample without a database of whos who in Nigeria? Does the government know who me and you are?

5 Likes

Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by FrontPageLawyer(m): 3:10pm On Sep 06, 2012
afam4eva: Why will crimes be resolved when the culprits are the government while their friends are heading law enforcement agencies.

Yes I agree with you, the menace of corruption is indeed an obstacle to judicial independence in Nigeria and inability of the judges to uphold the tenets of justice and equity, this could predictably lead to influx of innocent persons in prisons. Even with sufficient legislation the services of incorruptible judges are required for correct interpretation of laws and sound justice administration
Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 3:11pm On Sep 06, 2012
If you watch the movie J. Edgar, you'll understand.
The police force in many of the developed countries in the past used to be like Nigeria's police force today. Largely corrupt, unwieldy, and hopelessly inefficient. Police in Nigeria effectively amounts to nothing more than typical civil servants armed with guns.

You probably need a criminal investigation Bureau similar to EFCC, with specific funding and staffing requirements, and empowered with some degree of autonomy, to tackle federal crimes such as those mentioned in the OP. In Nigeria and similar countries with large populations, it is always easy to undermine local police, especially for politicians and local crime bosses.

1 Like

Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by whybangarri: 3:14pm On Sep 06, 2012
hrhobi1: @ op Tell me what you can do with a DNA sample without a database of whos who in Nigeria? Does the government know who me and you are?
abeg help me tell am ooo! even if they get the finger print(s)of the offender(s), who will they use it to incriminate?

1 Like

Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by FrontPageLawyer(m): 3:19pm On Sep 06, 2012
hrhobi1: @ op Tell me what you can do with a DNA sample without a database of whos who in Nigeria? Does the government know who me and you are?

That is the duty of a responsible government and not mine, yes the facilities are available in Nigeria, we have forensic science institute even in the NPF academy, or are they only taught theories on how to kill innocent citizens and extort N20 from motorist? In conclusion, the Nigerian police force and our security agencies lack the wisdom and intellectual wherewithal to conduct a successful crime investigation even when physical evidence are recovered from the crime scene.

1 Like

Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by ArQueBusieR(m): 3:23pm On Sep 06, 2012
Sisi_Kill: I'm sorry. . .I couldn't get past CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION. Seriously? CSI??

You do realize that even the real crime solvers condemn the show for its contrived display of crime solving.

I'd rather you used real honest to goodness detective work as done in many advanced countries.
*rolls eyes*
Mountain lion! He didn't draw his conclusions from CSI alone. He only mentioned two standard crime solving techniques.
Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:25pm On Sep 06, 2012
afam4eva: Why will crimes be resolved when the culprits are the government while their friends are heading law enforcement agencies.

The reason I ask my wife to quit her law practice and get a conscience free Job.
Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by Blackteeth(m): 3:28pm On Sep 06, 2012
why_ban_garri: abeg help me tell am ooo! even if they get the finger print(s)of the offender(s), who will they use it to incriminate?
Finger prints taken during gsm phone line registration. lol
Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by mrrock: 3:29pm On Sep 06, 2012
@post.
To be able to achieve crime solving level as shown on crime channel we need to have a national finger-print database and a national I.D Card scheme linked to it, plus a vibrant police force and detectives trained in forensic science. Effective crime solving wouldn't be possible without the above
Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by SisiKill1: 3:29pm On Sep 06, 2012
You'll have to pardon him. . . his knowledge of crime solving comes from watching CSI where everybody's fingerprint and DNA is in the database, where eery criminal's mugshot is on file and their magic technology spits out results in ten seconds or less.

Meanwhile in the real world, even in advanced countries many crimes remain unsolved because the police can't find a string of hair let alone a complete profile of the criminal down to what color of underwear he wears for every day of the week. . .like they do in CSI Whatevercity.
Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:34pm On Sep 06, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
You'll have to pardon him. . . his knowledge of crime solving comes from watching CSI where everybody's fingerprint and DNA is in the database, where eery criminal's mugshot is on file and their magic technology spits out results in ten seconds or less.

Meanwhile in the real world, even in advanced countries many crimes remain unsolved because the police can't find a string of hair let alone a complete profile of the criminal down to what color of underwear he wears for every day of the week. . .like they do in CSI Whatevercity.
that is not why crimes are not solved in Nigeria..as long as it is high-profile crimes .. it will remain unsolved.. Dele Giwa, Bola Ige, Funsho Williams, Elegbede etc catch my drift
Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by FrontPageLawyer(m): 3:37pm On Sep 06, 2012
why_ban_garri: abeg help me tell am ooo! even if they get the finger print(s)of the offender(s), who will they use it to incriminate?

@Why ban garri. So you'd prefer Nigeria in this state of retrogression? The blame is traceable to ineptitude of the government, the police and its allied agencies and office of the Director of public prosecution in the various states of the Federation. A country with no database. In more serious countries even South Africa, medical detectives uses medical science to solve crime eveb if it takes 50years. It is regretful that some prisoners and awaiting trial persons are victims of circumstances. In Nigeria, you report a murder incident to the police, you are the prime suspect, you are seen in a crime scene, you are the prime suspect.
Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by OYINBOGOJU(m): 3:39pm On Sep 06, 2012
Our law enforcement units are incompetent.

Crimes remain unsolved coz even most of the equipments used are strange to our half baked crime investigator.
Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by fankasibe: 3:50pm On Sep 06, 2012
@OP,pls also remember to bribe the police before any investigation takes place, otherwise u ar O.Y.O
Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by FrontPageLawyer(m): 3:56pm On Sep 06, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

I'll pardon you sisi_kill. I have great sense of understanding in crime solving. With a strand of hair, a crime is solved in advanced countries. In Nigeria even if the suspect is caught on tape, the crime is never solved. Why? Why? Why? I mentioned how real evidence are contaminated at crime scene in Nigeria even by the agencies that are responsible for collecting these evidence, they lack wisdom. Same thing happened at the Dana crash site, according to investigation, some of the passengers could have survived, but for our lack of orientation, residents thronged in numbers to the crash site obstructing rescue workers. Until the government take real proactive measures, crime will remain unsolved in Nigeria
Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by OkikiOluwa1(m): 3:58pm On Sep 06, 2012
Nna dis Country dey complicated! Dem go just dabaru everytin ll b blurr
Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by dont8(m): 4:03pm On Sep 06, 2012
Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by Coefficient(m): 4:33pm On Sep 06, 2012
Op, am very much addicted to these crime shows as much as you are. Infact I just finished watching Unsolved Mysteries right now. I've wondered about these points you raised severally but when I just picture the Nigerian policeman solving crime the way these people do, I just can't find a connection. They have corruption and its attendant effect written all over them. Administration and management in Nigeria is nothing to write home about. Now, I just sit back and enjoy the programmes and marvel at how these crimes are solved almost magically. Even cold case files are regularly reviewed and re-assigned. May God help Nigeria!
Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by chinig(m): 4:34pm On Sep 06, 2012
Csi,crime channel,are my favourites.seeing how a crime committed some 20yrs are solved with the help of forensic science.

Apart from the corruption that we face in nigeria,having a comprehensive database of individuals,well trained forensic expert,and also orientation of people not to contaminate the crime scene are part of the things that need to be solved.

I believe that if all this things are looked into solving crime will not be a problem,even cool cases can also be solved.
Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by redsun(m): 5:03pm On Sep 06, 2012
If there is a police force in nigeria,95 percent of nigerian leaders will be languishing in jail right now,including the president.

Crimes can not solved in a rogue state.Nigeria as it is now,is a rogue state,where all the gangsters like tinubu are free to roam ruthlessly with the "people's" support.

1 Like

Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by SisiKill1: 5:03pm On Sep 06, 2012
FrontPageLawyer:

2006, Engineer Funso Williams, a notable politician in the firmament of Lagos politics was tied up, and stabbed several times, until he died. It was a brutal act, and the state government, seeking to show that it had no hand in the death, invited forensic investigators from abroad. The experts came with their sophisticated equipment, and went to work, they were stunned by what they found, in the room where the man had been stabbed, they found over one thousand fingerprints. How do you process one thousand fingerprints? In frustration, the experts left, and the crime has not been solved till now.

The problem was that when the fellow was stabbed, all manner of sympathisers thronged his house, from old women who sell in the market, to shoe shine boys, all were allowed to go in and see where the dastardly deed was done. In the process, they ruined the crime scene. members of the public, and even the police, do not know how to treat a crime scene. And you you keep wondering if there were never taught Crime Scene Investigation.

This is where you kinda sorta lost the plot. . .the crime wasn't unsolved because they had over a thousand fingerprints on the crime scene. It is unsolved because there was no way to process and eliminate all the fingerprints. Maybe instead of jumping straight to CSI type crime solving techniques. . .how's about we start with the basics - Be able to account for who is who in the country and create a database for that. Then make sure Criminals are processed properly. . .mugshots, fingerprints etc, dna samples then make sure this data is well preserved not the one where if rain falls today, the police station roof leaks and what do ya know. . .all the folders are ruined. Finally make sure people can't buy their way out of crimes.

I believe if all the basics are in place and the right training, Our Officer Jamiu Bashiru will become Jack Bauer in no time.
Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by ziccoit: 5:19pm On Sep 06, 2012
Because you are all criminals in one way or the other.
Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by micash: 5:22pm On Sep 06, 2012
Kesmakveli: because our leaderz are the perpetrators of these crimes.. Shikina! sad
. Actually they're not leader but self-impose dictators. Anyway u'r right.
Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by Sirmuell(m): 5:28pm On Sep 06, 2012
@OP educative and thought provoking right up, if there's a job I was given an opportunity to do even without payment and will bring me fulfilment it would be a Crime Scene Investigator CSI or FBI cuz I love those job to the bone but come to fink of it, Naija has made me handicapped, well ama kip keeping it real.
Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by micash: 5:29pm On Sep 06, 2012
Sisi_Kill: I'm sorry. . .I couldn't get past CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION. Seriously? CSI?? The TV show??

I'd rather you had used real honest to goodness detective work as done in many advanced countries.
You also can help provide such details, in as much you know exactly what can help us appreciate this thought on crime investigation.
Re: Why Crimes Are Unresolved In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:54pm On Sep 06, 2012
I'm an addicted fan of discovery ID on channel 252,cos of the crime scene story,infact,i marvelled at the way they solve crime.infact,i dey trip.you can compare that to Nigeria because of so many factors.
1.do we have data record of our citizen?i.e DNA,fingerprints,etc.
2.how sincere are the investigators in handling the case?
3.do we have enough equipment,and facilities?
4.are the investigators free from interferance from higher authority?
5.how quick is their response to crime scene,to preserve clues?
If all these and more are in place,NIGERIA can do it,and more...long live Nigeria.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pls How True Is This Job Vacancy Message From Cashnigeria. / Most Wanted Cultist Killed In Bariga, Lagos During Gun Battle With Police / U.S Is Protecting Hushpuppi From Being Killed By The Russians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.