Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,484 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:18 PM

Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! (11721 Views)

Yoruba Girls / Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. / Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! by mcevans1(m): 5:34pm On Sep 06, 2012
THE usage of beads especially waist bead in Nigeria is wide spread across the various nationalities that make up the nation. There are similarities and peculiarities in their usage.
However, the Yorubas developed the most varying and peculiar uses for the waist beads. The Yorubas have developed a culture of bead usage that cuts across both material and spiritual aspects of the life of the people. In addition, they have also the capacity to produce the beads for varying purposes ranging from royalty, body adornment, deification and decoration.

The Yorubas are found in the South Western geo-political delineation of present day Nigeria. They are a vibrant and social people that accentuate their ways of life in their day-to-day activities.

Beads are usually small round piece of glass, wood, metal or nut, pierced for stringing. They are either used for adornment such as the waist, neck or ankle beads or as decorative ornament in art works or even for royalty purposes.

The art of beading is serial in process and serrated in composition. It has a step by step or one by one approach in stringing when traded together, beads stands for unity, togetherness and solidarity.

Beads of the waist is said to posses the power to attract and evoke deep emotional responses, they are a sign of success and affluence as well as spiritual well being.

The Origin of the Nigerian beads is still speculative due to its fragility portability and popularity.

Beads have been traded and used since time immemorial. However, the earliest known African beads is traced to Libya and Sudan. In Nigeria the Nok terracottes and Igbo Ukwu arts display some element of the usage of beads in those societies as early as 500BC, however there is no concrete statement of origin to the beads.

A common usage of the item is for adornment especially on the waist. There is however varying purpose for which people adorn the waist beads.

The common users of the waist beads are mostly the women folk, only in exceptional theatrical perform as will a man adorn a waist bead to symbolize feminism. The waist bead is synonymous with feminism.

The Yorubas have esteemed usage attached to the waist beads. They refer to the waist bead as Ileke, “Lagidigba” the term lagidigba means something big, thick or massive. The Lagidigba is made of palm nut shells string together, while the bebe is made of glass.

The Yorubas have a belief that the waist beads posses some erotic appeal, they have the power to provoke desire or deep emotional response on the opposite sex.

Waist beads in Yoruba are also used for birth control, the beads are laced with charms and worn by the women to prevent conception.

Beads are a precious ornaments to the Yorubas, hence when adorned by a women, accentuates her feminism or beauty. Beads also helps to portray the chastity of a maiden or women sensuality. Parent show their love for their girl child through gifts of waist beads that are colourful and expensive.

The lagidigba or palm nut shell beads is used for fecundity purposes. The nuts signify multiple births as they are in clusters, thus one can infer the high incidence of multiple births in Yoruba land to the usage of the lagidigba bead.

Brides seduce their spouses with the beads they adorn, some women are said to lace their beads with charm to make them irresistible to the male folks. The Yoruba’s can easily comment on a women’s moral standing in those days by interpretation of the movement of the waist bead adorned by a women. The way she moves her buttocks can depict her morals either seductive or reserve.

The Yorubas have a popular saying that “it is the beads that makes the buttocks to shake”.

Other users of the waist beads in Yoruba land are the Orisas or devotes of water deities and other priestesses, they adorn the waist beads for protection against spiritual attacks as well as part of their dress regalia.

The waist bead is also used to adorn the Ere-Ibeji figurine on the death of a twin, there is the belief that when treated well the spirit of the spirit of the dead twin will not harm the living twin and will return to the family to stay.

Waist beads are also adorned and laced with charms to ward away the Abiku spirit (mermaid Spirit) from a woman.

Because of the regard on the waist beads, some erotic songs have been composed and sang by the Yorubas based on its usages.

A Song Says

“She goes up

She goes down

Like buttocks beads.

Another song says;

Don’t flirt with me

Don’t flirt with me as you do with your husband.

Don’t wriggle your waist beads at me

Don’t lock the door on me and throw

Away the key.

Apart from the Yorubas, other groups in Nigeria also have similar usages of the waist beads in their culture the Ogonis in Rivers State refer to beads as Loo, its uses range from covering the private parts of a women to adornment as a sign of affluence. The beads is a measure of value to the Ogonis and are also worn by bride as part of her bridal rites. The Igbos called it Mgbaji, also for adornment and a sign of social status.

The Hausas refer to it as Jigida. To the Kalabaris, the waist bead has the potency of transforming an ugly woman into a beautiful maiden once it is worn. The Ibibios see it as Nkwa-Isin, they adorn it on a female baby to help give her a good waist line, as she grows, beads of her size are adorned on her.

Priestesses of deities also wear the beads that are always colourful as part of their regalia. They also use the waist beads laced with charm s for birth control. The maiden dances (Aban) also wear the beads doing dance to give a graceful hip movement when they dance.

Waist bead in today’s fashion is relegated, ladies have a preference for western costumes such as belts, chains, g-strings to the waist beads. The culture of waist bead is going down rapidly to extinction. Religion and other spiritual reasons have been adduced for the neglect, however it must be pointed out that waist bead usage as practiced in the past is an essential element of African body adornment that is harmless and meaningful a pride and precious item which should be encourage to day.
Re: Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! by ifyalways(f): 8:26pm On Sep 06, 2012
Yorubas adorn beads but not as much as the tivs.
Re: Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! by slimyem: 9:26pm On Sep 06, 2012
Interesting piece!
I had beads on when i was young and in my teenage years but only interpreted them as beauty accessories.
I do not believe in any diabolical use of it though..
This thread should be dedicated to Ileke-idi!cheesycheesy

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! by odumchi: 4:29am On Sep 07, 2012
Ileke Idi, where are you? grin
Re: Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! by wonlasewonimi: 4:45am On Sep 07, 2012
ask ileke-idi, anybody that mistakenly commits adultery with her will summersault 3 times and die.
Re: Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! by mcevans1(m): 12:18am On Sep 08, 2012
odumchi: Ileke Idi, where are you? grin

Hahahahaha u r very funny.Has she seen it already?
Re: Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! by mcevans1(m): 12:19am On Sep 08, 2012
wonlasewonimi: ask ileke-idi, anybody that mistakenly commits adultery with her will summersault 3 times and die.

shocked shocked Really grin grin Wat abt 4nication? cheesy
Re: Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! by Nobody: 4:27pm On Sep 08, 2012
Many African girls in my college wear waist beads. So I think beads are coming back. cool I think they are cool. cool But for some reason, it's one accessory I never remember to buy. Need to purchase some. cool

Apart from the Yorubas, other groups in Nigeria also have similar usages of the waist beads in their culture the Ogonis in Rivers State refer to beads as Loo, its uses range from covering the private parts of a women to adornment as a sign of affluence. The beads is a measure of value to the Ogonis and are also worn by bride as part of her bridal rites. The Igbos called it Mgbaji, also for adornment and a sign of social status.

The Hausas refer to it as Jigida. To the Kalabaris, the waist bead has the potency of transforming an ugly woman into a beautiful maiden once it is worn. The Ibibios see it as Nkwa-Isin, they adorn it on a female baby to help give her a good waist line, as she grows, beads of her size are adorned on her.[/b]

I used to think Igbos called it Jigida? Because I know I've heard the phrase Egwu Jigida or something like that? Damn my Igbo is terrible. grin tongue
Re: Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! by Nobody: 4:48pm On Sep 08, 2012
^^^So you're still in college, and you were trying to run your mouth to me about your achievements? Not surprised, it's the Nigerian mentality... But thank God you have changed your ways from your ethnocentric past.. undecided
Re: Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! by Nobody: 4:50pm On Sep 08, 2012
I like the big pink/red neck and hand beads, they look nice... I've never seen the waist beads before, can someone posts pictures, plz...

I think Benin people rock beads the best in Nigeria, but I might be wrong...I admire the way the Benins rock their beads, anyway.
Re: Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! by Nobody: 7:34pm On Sep 08, 2012
shymexx: ^^^So you're still in college, and you were trying to[b] run your mouth to me about your achievements[/b]? Not surprised, it's the Nigerian mentality... But thank God you have changed your ways from your ethnocentric past.. undecided

What is this mumu talking about? When did two of us become buddies to talk about my achievements? Are you normal? angry You'd better not ruin this thread!
Re: Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! by Nobody: 7:38pm On Sep 08, 2012
stillwater:

What is this mumu talking about? When did two of us become buddies to talk about my achievements? Are you normal? angry You'd better not ruin this thread!

Where did I assert that we were buddies? You were running your mouth about your achievements, or lack thereof, when you're supposedly still in college... Stay humble and pay homage to people out of your league...
Re: Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! by Nobody: 7:40pm On Sep 08, 2012
^^^Can you show me where? Please show me, for real. . .
Re: Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! by Nobody: 7:41pm On Sep 08, 2012
^^^It was on the head tie thread... You can go check it yourself, but I'm not bothered, anyway... Whatever rocks your boat.. undecided
Re: Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! by Nobody: 7:50pm On Sep 08, 2012
^^^So did I claim I was a Nobel laureate or what? People are funny, must be the Nigerian low esteem mentality tongue. I must have trashed you for you to think so highly of me, buhahaha. I'm good. grin grin grin grin I'm not surprised people say I'm quite enigmatic. *Blushes*

P.S People who know me here, know I'm not even in college. I made that comment because when I was in school, the African girls in school wore them. Maybe I should I rephrased, so that chickens like Shymmex won't be attacking me. Nansense!!
Re: Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! by Nobody: 8:00pm On Sep 08, 2012
^^^^You know you didn't trash me, and no one can trash me... I'm too vicious, shrewd, and my cognitive skills are just too much for 'modern' humanoids... You need to apologize to me, and let bygones, be bygones... wink

I kind of admire your guts and your aggressive nature, I have a thing for aggressive chics.. tongue
Re: Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! by Nobody: 8:15pm On Sep 08, 2012
^^^Whatever. tongue
Re: Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! by Nobody: 8:31pm On Sep 08, 2012
^^^Hmmm.. wink wink tongue
Re: Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! by mcevans1(m): 11:06am On Sep 09, 2012
stillwater: ^^^Whatever. tongue

LOL. You guyz r funny. grin grin grin
Re: Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! by JallowBah(f): 8:23pm On Sep 09, 2012
I love the beads.

In fulani-culture, the only one to see your waist-beads is your husband, and other females. It is also okay that other men see it IF you are with your husband, f.ex at the beach.
The married women tend to wear up to 8-9, so that when she walks, they make a lot of noicewink People know she is a married woman. They call it Lamposchema.

(1) (Reply)

Any Esan In The House? / Igbo Girls . / The Origin Of Igbanke People In Edo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.