Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,895 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:15 AM

Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. (11865 Views)

Usa,canada,ukraine And Poland Admission And Student Visa / Need Visa , Job And Scholarship Abroad With Accomodation / Student Visa And Scholarship For Developing Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by sunky644(m): 6:12pm On Sep 06, 2012
Having gone through a thread on Masters application, I decided to open this thread for the benefit of those who have interest in PhD program in America (North and South), Europe, Asia and Australia. Will appreciate first hand information from knowledgeable people who used to be or is still a PhD student in any of this places. Please don't forget to add scholarship options, living expenses, tuition (preferably low one), job/business opportunity, institutions with good ranking. Your correct information will be of immense help to we who are still Masters student here in Nigeria but willing to have our PhD degree abroad. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by Gonzaga1010(m): 6:15pm On Sep 06, 2012
Hmmm!
Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by Dudurex: 10:22pm On Sep 06, 2012
sunky644: Having gone through a thread on Masters application, I decided to open this thread for the benefit of those who have interest in PhD program in America (North and South), Europe, Asia and Australia. Will appreciate first hand information from knowledgeable people who used to be or is still a PhD student in any of this places. Please don't forget to add scholarship options, living expenses, tuition (preferably low one), job/business opportunity, institutions with good ranking. Your correct information will be of immense help to we who are still Masters student here in Nigeria but willing to have our PhD degree abroad. Thanks.
Nice one
Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by ifegy: 12:32am On Sep 07, 2012
This might be of interest: fellowships, grants and scholarships for international students:

http://www.scholars4dev.com/category/field-of-study/

All the best!

1 Like

Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by sunky644(m): 4:14am On Sep 07, 2012
ifegy: This might be of interest: fellowships, grants and scholarships for international students:

http://www.scholars4dev.com/category/field-of-study/

All the best!
Thanks so much, that's what we are talking about.
Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by learn(f): 7:19am On Sep 07, 2012
also check scholarship position site and www.findphd.com
meanwhile it will be nice if anyone dat has been granted a phd position wld b nice enough 2 share details with us

1 Like

Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by sunky644(m): 6:33pm On Sep 07, 2012
learn: also check scholarship position site and www.findphd.com
meanwhile it will be nice if anyone dat has been granted a phd position wld b nice enough 2 share details with us
Will surf thru this link now too. Another good option is; peradventure one is not that financially buoyant, you can decide to start the PhD program in a good university in Nigeria and then get a graduate fellowship with scholarship.
Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by learn(f): 8:38pm On Sep 07, 2012
sunky are u okay ? phd programm in naija and spend 8-9 yrs ?
u better dont dull urself ohhh
Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by sunky644(m): 6:35am On Sep 08, 2012
learn: sunky are u okay ? phd programm in naija and spend 8-9 yrs ?
u better dont dull urself ohhh
It can be done in five years if my supervisor is the one supervising you. But, he only take his ex-masters student for PhD. All the same, the motive behind opening this thread is to get information for a standard Doctorate degree abroad. We still welcome more info and links.
Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by sunky644(m): 11:04am On Sep 09, 2012
@learn, this www.findphd.com page is somehow. Just filled with links that is not clickable.

1 Like

Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by Nobody: 2:56am On Sep 11, 2012
Nice thread. It is very possible for good students to get fully funded PhD admissions in Canada and the United States. It is not easy though. There are a number of things you need to do.

2). Graduate with a good CGPA. Most fully funded programs in North America ask for 3.00(out of 4)and above. In reality, you might need to get more than that because of the possibility that your competitors might have high CGPAs. However, if you feel your CGPA is not high enough, numbers 2 and 3 may become more important.

3). GRE or GMAT. It is almost impossible to get into a fully funded PhD program without a strong GRE or GMAT. Prepare for these standardized exams and ace them.Passing these tests very well may make up for any CGPA deficiencies. There are some threads on Nairaland that can help you.

4). Statement of purpose. Prepare a kickass statement of purpose describing your research interests, why you want to earn a graduate degree and what you wish to do with a graduate degree. You should also describe in glowing terms the research you did in Nigeria. Your statement of purpose may also address your CGPA issues.

5). Get in touch with a prospective advisor. For a PhD student requiring funding, this may be the determining step. After getting the high CGPAs and GREs, you may still be denied admission if the professors in your field, in the school you applied to do not have any space in their Labs. It is better to get in touch with a professor and get the go ahead from him to apply to the school. He/she may be the one to determine your funding situation. Some Phd programs may not require this step: they admit the best students as a cohort and fix them up with advisors after the first or second semester, but they are getting increasing few.

1). Fast and Pray if you believe in God, if you don't then hold fast to that which you believe. tongue
That's all I can remember for now.

Best of Luck! kiss

P.S: The US does not require an Msc for a Phd program but Canada does.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by bukahands(m): 11:40am On Sep 12, 2012
moroh: Nice thread. It is very possible for good students to get fully funded PhD admissions in Canada and the United States. It is not easy though. There are a number of things you need to do.

2). Graduate with a good CGPA. Most fully funded programs in North America ask for 3.00(out of 4)and above. In reality, you might need to get more than that because of the possibility that your competitors might have high CGPAs. However, if you feel your CGPA is not high enough, numbers 2 and 3 may become more important.

3). GRE or GMAT. It is almost impossible to get into a fully funded PhD program without a strong GRE or GMAT. Prepare for these standardized exams and ace them.Passing these tests very well may make up for any CGPA deficiencies. There are some threads on Nairaland that can help you.

4). Statement of purpose. Prepare a kickass statement of purpose describing your research interests, why you want to earn a graduate degree and what you wish to do with a graduate degree. You should also describe in glowing terms the research you did in Nigeria. Your statement of purpose may also address your CGPA issues.

5). Get in touch with a prospective advisor. For a PhD student requiring funding, this may be the determining step. After getting the high CGPAs and GREs, you may still be denied admission if the professors in your field, in the school you applied to do not have any space in their Labs. It is better to get in touch with a professor and get the go ahead from him to apply to the school. He/she may be the one to determine your funding situation. Some Phd program may not require this step: they admit the best students as a cohort and fix them up with advisors after the first or second semester, but they are getting increasing few.

1). Fast and Pray if you believe in God, if you don't then hold fast to that which you believe. tongue
That's all I can remember for now.

Best of Luck! kiss

P.S: The US does not require an Msc for a Phd program but Canada does.

Guy don't u think it will be very hard to cope moving from a Bsc to a PhD directly cos my friend is seriously considering this option Thank u
Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by sunky644(m): 3:40pm On Sep 12, 2012
bukahands:

Guy don't u think it will be very hard to cope moving from a Bsc to a PhD directly cos my friend is seriously considering this option Thank u
I don't think there is any complexity in that, I ve a friend in USA doing it. It's for five(5) years after which he will be awarded a Doctorate degree (PhD). I think they only take applicants that graduated with a first class degree for such.
Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by Nobody: 4:26pm On Sep 12, 2012
bukahands:

It is not easy..but the people who are doing it are human beings. My classmates here are 22 year olds. shocked shocked
Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by learn(f): 5:37pm On Sep 12, 2012
@ moroh , i laugh in foreign language lol 22yrs indeed
meanwhile wats ur phd on?
Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by Nobody: 5:42pm On Sep 12, 2012
learn: @ moroh , i laugh in foreign language lol 22yrs indeed
meanwhile wats ur phd on?
Believe it or not brov, some of my classmates are 22 years old. Me sef shock. They finished their Bachelors this May and resumed Grad. school in August.
Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by learn(f): 9:55pm On Sep 12, 2012
okay mean masters, dats very possible jorr, i tot u were refering to phd programme, cheers
Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by Nobody: 10:42pm On Sep 12, 2012
learn: okay mean masters, dats very possible jorr, i tot u were refering to phd programme, cheers
I am laughing here, bro. Grad. school is what? Isn't it masters and PhD again? Believe it or not, I am in a PhD program with recent graduates and 2 of them are 22 years of age. One is 23 and she has a masters already.
Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by Nobody: 10:45pm On Sep 12, 2012
Double post.. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by learn(f): 11:23pm On Sep 12, 2012
lol, when i read grad skul my mind went to masters asap, its possible my thesis supervisor got his phd at 26, yea very possible
Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by bukahands(m): 11:26pm On Sep 12, 2012
Its possible to do phd in the US directly from Bsc @learn, and I graduated at 21 if I get the phD programme, I will be 22 doing it so its possible just giving an example, I heard they also admit second class upper to the phD programme
not only first class
Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by learn(f): 1:56am On Sep 13, 2012
poster" i know already, i was just concurring 2 wat d other guy said, cheers
bukahands: Its possible to do phd in the US directly from Bsc @learn, and I graduated at 21 if I get the phD programme, I will be 22 doing it so its possible just giving an example, I heard they also admit second class upper to the phD programme
not only first class
Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by sunky644(m): 6:08am On Sep 14, 2012
To those that graduated with a strong second class upper division (4.0 out of 5). This university has scholarship opportunity for international students, you can get details at
www.umanitoba.ca
Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by sunky644(m): 7:08pm On Sep 18, 2012
Got an information about tuition free programs (from bachelor to doctorate) in Germany. Nevertheless, admitted students are mandated to open a blocked account with the sum of about #1.8-#2 Million which will take care of student living expenses for a year. To apply check www.daad.de
Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by bukahands(m): 12:40pm On Oct 13, 2012
@moroh, is it possible for someone with a cGPA of 3.5 with a good GRE get into phd position even if the tuition is partly funded.
Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by sunky644(m): 8:07pm On Oct 13, 2012
For those that may fall within this category. This question is directed to the more enlightened ones, "how possible is it to secure PhD admission to any good institution in any of this developed countries with CGPA of 3.35-3.49 out of a point scale of 5.

1 Like

Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by whaithee(m): 3:05pm On Feb 16, 2013
For PhD Scholarships to study abroad, this link will be immensely helpful:
http://www.afterschoolafrica.com/scholarship/by-level/phd
Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by hammyd1: 5:19pm On Feb 17, 2013
@sunky et al, with a bsc and msc from a federal school here, without publication and gre, is it possible to secure a phd position in europe, graduated with a 2,1, is it also possible to gain a phd position when am about to finish my msc. Thanks.
Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by binary24: 3:23pm On Mar 07, 2013
Some scholarships require so much paperwork before applying for example Scholarships for Minority Students http://getusscholarships.com/scholarships-for-minorities/
Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by obioraval(m): 6:53am On Jul 30, 2014
Wow.. What happened to this thread. Very educative...
Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by Nobody: 8:00am On Aug 14, 2014
Bump
Re: Information On Phd Admission And Scholarship Abroad. by Eke40seven(m): 7:12pm On Aug 15, 2014
There are scholarships available in the UK too for PhDs. I know that the university of Salford accepts 2.1 students straight from Bsc to PhD.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Uk Student Visa Appeal Or Immediate Reapplication / Study Or Work Visa, Which One Should He Go For? / How Can One Apply For A New Zealand Visa In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.