Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,181 members, 7,780,254 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:22 AM

Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC (14624 Views)

APC Governors Visit Bola Tinubu At His Lagos Residence (Photos) / Aisha Buhari, Ambode, Tinubu At A Wedding Ceremony In Lagos / Did You Watch Tinubu At The Lagos Apc Presidential Rally Today? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC by RICHIEBOI1(m): 12:47am On Sep 08, 2012
Asiwaju Bola Tinubu was at the just-concluded convention of the Democratic Party held in Charlotte. Glossy pictures are already circulating in social media. There is one of him clapping excitedly in the audience. There is another of him in an outside pose with one of his men Friday, Governor Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti state. On the surface, this is a good development. When a man of such enormous influence decides to come and observe and learn from the best democratic practices, the idea – only the idea – should be lauded. But observing and learning from the best practices in the world is an area in which Nigerian leaders and socio-political élite are not in good standing. Therefore, we need to know what Asiwaju and his entourage saw, heard, and learnt in Charlotte.

Indeed, Nigerians are eternally perplexed that the reproduction of modernity and postmodernity has remained rocket science for our political and social élite. Let me explain. If your understanding of the concrete expression of modernity and postmodernity lies in democracy, 21st century infrastructure, advancements in science and technology, and the creation of opportunities and a level playing field for the pursuit of happiness for the citizenry, you will discover that most non-Western societies – Japan, China, Singapore, South Korea, Malaysia, Dubai – that have achieved parity with or surpassed the West (especially in modern and postmodern infrastructure) have done so in great part by observing and copying.

Indeed, the spread of the developmental and infrastructural aspects of modernity and postmodernity beyond the West is a study in the ability of the excluded to observe, copy, and adapt the end product to local-cultural conditions and circumstances. Aware of the existence of such things in the West, the élite of these societies spent much of the 19th and 20th centuries copying and reproducing them for their own peoples.

A Japanese official sees the French TGV or German ICE (super rapid trains) and begins to think of how to out-perform the French and the Germans by producing a more modern Japanese version of the trains but a Nigerian official sees the same trains in Germany or France and begins to think of how to buy homes in Germany or France in order to spend summer enjoying those trains; a Dubai crown prince sees an architectural wonder in New York (it could be a mall) and rushes back home to the task of constructing something bigger for the people of Dubai but a Nigerian official sees the same mall in New York and hurries home to steal money to come and shop in that mall next summer; a Chinese official sees the German autobahn and hurries home in nationalistic anticipation because better roads must be constructed in China but a Nigerian Governor sees the same autobahn in Germany and begins to make discreet inquiries into how to buy shares in the German company that constructed the said autobahn. If German financial regulations allow him, he will return to Berlin next year with his entire security vote to buy shares in that German company.

The Nigerian élite is incapable of replicating anything they see abroad. What they take back to Nigeria are the worst aspects of Western behaviour. Hence they return to Asokoro or Lekki with their fake amala, akpu, or gworo-coated accents, supercilious airs, and acquired Western consumption patterns. I’ve been in high-end restaurants in Lagos while folks who don’t know the difference between Merlot and Rosé would come in, order wine and cuisine from a menu they can barely read, and discuss their last European vacation loud enough for everybody to hear.

This is all our élite take back to Nigeria when they come here and that is why Nigerians should be very interested in what Asiwaju saw in Charlotte and what he took back home. What did he learn about internal party democracy? What did he learn about the power of ideas over money? What did he learn from the zero violence in back to back conventions? What are his concrete plans to translate such lessons into concrete, verifiable results in his southwest fief in particular and in Nigeria at large? In the same vein, Nigerians should also be interested in the things Asiwaju did not see and did not hear in Charlotte. The list is endless but I’ll limit myself to three:

1. Asiwaju did not hear that any Governor of the states controlled by the Democratic Party is in permanent financial bondage to Bill Clinton.

2. Asiwaju did not hear that Governors of the Democratic Party have ever collectively used taxpayers’ money to fund Bill Clinton’s birthday celebrations.

3. Asiwaju did not hear that companies owned by Bill Clinton or in which Bill Clinton has substantial interest somehow manage to corner most of the contracts in states controlled by Governors of the Democratic Party. He did not hear that Bill Clinton’s companies are operating concessions and toll gates in any state controlled by the Democrats.

Now, over to you. What else do you think Asiwaju did not see or hear in Charlotte?

http://saharareporters.com/column/asiwaju-goes-charlotte-pius-adesanmi

10 Likes

Re: Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC by ZeusI: 1:08am On Sep 08, 2012
Should he be given AWARD? And how was that visit funded? EFCC take note. Attack!
Re: Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC by keyremotes(m): 1:35am On Sep 08, 2012
This man is the most ill qualified person to sit in that auditorium these past 3 days.
What did he go and do the? His likes are not what is needed.
Will he return and do as Clinton is doing.
Self deceit is the greatest deceit of all.

4 Likes

Re: Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC by wonlasewonimi: 2:57am On Sep 08, 2012
why enter a coat when he could have worn a suit.

4 Likes

Re: Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC by CyberG: 3:10am On Sep 08, 2012
wonlasewonimi: why enter a coat when he could have worn a suit.

Na wah for you o! Of all the things to criticize, it is a debate of coat vs suit that is your priority?? grin grin
Re: Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC by Caseless: 7:07am On Sep 08, 2012
Op, nice one! America wil giv u democracy nd xpkt u 2 practice it xactly like dem 4getin d difrnce in cultur,envirnmnt etc, we'r havin wit dem. Demo'cy shld b practiced in tune 2 how it woks 4 us nd not how d US deem it fit.Wat woks dere myt not work here

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC by Maxymilliano(m): 8:10am On Sep 08, 2012
I read this article on SR earlier and i was expecting our Good Ol' GBAWE to cull the article from SR board and post it here for deliberation knowing fully well his penchant for culling and pasting constructive articles against Goodluck Jonathan from great writers like Pius Adesanmi, Sonala Olumhense etc. But since the article from the revered writer is about Tinubu this time around, mum's the word...

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC by kokoA(m): 8:29am On Sep 08, 2012
But why was he standing when others were seated?

1 Like

Re: Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC by Nobody: 8:31am On Sep 08, 2012
Asiwaju Ahmed Tinubu did not hear that Bill Clinton own a den as huge as the Den of the Lion of Bourdillon at Ikoyi

He did not hear than Bill Clinton 'anointed' Obama

He did not hear that Obama must be answerable and loyal to him personally

He did not see Bill Clinton playing God to Obama

More........
Re: Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC by Gbawe: 8:39am On Sep 08, 2012
keyremotes: This man is the most ill qualified person to sit in that auditorium these past 3 days.
What did he go and do the? His likes are not what is needed.
Will he return and do as Clinton is doing.
Self deceit is the greatest deceit of all.

People like you who speak with so much venomous ignorance are the ones making Tinubu popular and forcing others to defend him ala 'stick up for the underdog'. There may have been murderers, child molesters and many deviants in that hall yet, in your god-like wisdom, you conclude Tinubu "is the most ill qualified person to sit in that auditorium these past 3 days".

Na real wa for some Nairalanders. Let the man be and stop hating vacuously and blindly. He is not the President of Nigeria and he should be the least of your worries if you are a politically sophisticated people able to ambitiously demand effective leadership from those who actually have the office and power to deliver solutions.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC by Gbawe: 8:51am On Sep 08, 2012
Maxymilliano: I read this article on SR earlier and i was expecting our Good Ol' GBAWE to cull the article from SR board and post it here for deliberation knowing fully well his penchant for culling and pasting constructive articles against Goodluck Jonathan from great writers like Pius Adesanmi, Sonala Olumhense etc. But since the article from the revered writer is about Tinubu this time around, mum's the word...

Guy, when you and others begin to do your civic duty to focus on current office holders like I do, then we can get the sort of harmonised stance that has forced leaders to do the right thing worldwide - to the benefit of the majority.

Some of you are childishly offended I criticise GEJ. That is the biggest sign you are all ill-exposed and politically gauche individuals who are yet to see what really matters. Some of us know life beyond Nigeria to appreciate how much of an easy ride GEJ is getting for his inept and incompetent leadership of Nigeria. His position would no longer be tenable in most serious Nations on Earth given his many spectacular failures and overt involvement with corruption and malfeasance.

Do you know the transformational power the Nigerian President has at his disposal? Instead you are here vacuously trying to show that I am wrong for focusing on GEJ when balanced non-Nigerians might wonder the peculiar madness that makes Nigerians more interested in hounding a man who has no official power whatsoever while they ignore those currently in important office and failing to deliver solutions, watching Nigeria die and letting/supporting a small number of opportunist to have their ways everywhere to the detriment of the nation.

4 Likes

Re: Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC by Maxymilliano(m): 9:02am On Sep 08, 2012
Bros Gbawe, i was expecting you to laud the author of the article for such well thought provoking write up which is the norm for you but this time around, you never did.

I was expecting you to also make fruitful contributions to either correct or concur with the substance of the article itself but you never did, but you rather picked on an harmless opinion of a contributor.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC by Gbawe: 9:07am On Sep 08, 2012
Maxymilliano: Bros Gbawe, i was expecting you to laud the author of the article for such well thought provoking write up which is the norm for you but this time around, you never did.

I was expecting you to also make fruitful contributions to either correct or concur with the substance of the article itself but you never did, but you rather picked on an harmless opinion of a contributor.

You obviously mentioned me mischievously , so what "fruitful contribution" do you want from me?

But since the article from the revered writer is about Tinubu this time around, mum's the word...

Some of you want to put certain Nairalanders under the spotlight with obvious mischief yet you don't even have the balls to admit what you are. Let me at least respond of my free will, and then castigate me for that, before you start your petty assumptions and insinuation only to then turn around and pretend you want "fruitful contribution".
Re: Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC by PointB: 9:14am On Sep 08, 2012
That bastard (again according to Tunde Bakare) indeed is no political office holder. Yet it takes an ethically motivated bigot, and grossly malicious hypocrite to think, let alone continuously profess that the bastard wield no political power in this country.

Is this not the same dictator who handedly pick gubernatorial candidates for the party he leads against all known democratic tenets? Are we not looking at the same thief who blackmail those stooges (he rigged to power) to allocated giant portion of those states commonwealth to him, in grossly inflated contracts? Are we not speaking of the attention seeking clown who stood (while respectable people sat) to shamelessly applaud ideas and ideals that he can never think of honouring for sake of his vanity and greed? Is our resident hypocrite not referring to Bola Ahmed Tinubu (the fraud and identity thief) as one innocuous ordinary citizen? Is that all there is to our AC.N laptop #1 - shameless hypocrisy? Or there is more to this Tinubu ar.se kissing dude?

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC by OneNaira6: 9:15am On Sep 08, 2012
kokoA: But why was he standing when others were seated?

Bill clinton and barack obama had a standing ovation at one time or the another during each of their speeches. He probably stood during those time. If you look closely, he's not the only one standing.
Re: Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC by Maxymilliano(m): 9:20am On Sep 08, 2012
@Gbawe, you seem to be getting the impression that anybody that have contrary opinion to yours is definitely a GEJ supporter but which is wrong. I used to admire your contributions since i officially join this forum in January but over the time, i realized you don't apply the same scale to your criticism when both parties are involved. That's hypocritical if you ask me.

It has been the hallmark of the ACN as expounded by Lai Mohammed, Joe Igbokwe and which i perceived from most of your contribution lately.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC by OneNaira6: 9:20am On Sep 08, 2012
Billyonaire: Asiwaju Ahmed Tinubu did not hear that Bill Clinton own a den as huge as the Den of the Lion of Bourdillon at Ikoyi

More........

Tinubu is one of those politicians, nigerian should be mindful of. The author dissected the situation perfectly. I fear if tinubu is this corrupt on regional level alone, imagine what he can be if he ever achieve his dream of having a federal power.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC by Gbawe: 9:21am On Sep 08, 2012
PointB: That bastard (again according to Tunde Bakare) indeed is no political office holder. Yet it takes an ethically motivated bigot, and grossly malicious hypocrite to think, let alone continuously profess that the bastard wield no political power in this country.

Is this not the same dictator that who handedly pick gubernatorial candidates for the party he leads against all known democratic tenets? Are we not looking at the same thief who blackmail those stooges (he rigged to power) to allocated giant portion of those states commonwealth to him, in grossly inflated contracts? Are we not speaking of the attention seeking clown who stood (while respectable people sat) to shamelessly applaud ideas and ideals that he can never think of honouring for sake of his vanity and greed? Is our resident hypocrite not referring to Bola Ahmed Tinubu (the fraud and identity thief) as one innocuous ordinary citizen? Is that all there is to our AC.N laptop #1 - shameless hypocrisy? Or there is more to this Tinubu ar.se kissing dude?

You are a sad loser. Whether you know it or not, you only show you are a weakling dominated by the characters of others with how you follow them slavishly and tailor virtually all your contribution here as a direct reaction to all their utterances. Learn to submit your own original thought and stop being such an obsessive lady-boy.
Re: Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC by Gbawe: 9:27am On Sep 08, 2012
Maxymilliano: @Gbawe, you seem to be getting the impression that anybody that have contrary opinion to yours is definitely a GEJ supporter but which is wrong. I used to admire your contributions since i officially join this forum in January but over the time, i realized you don't apply the same scale to your criticism when both parties are involved. That's hypocritical if you ask me.

It has been the hallmark of the ACN as expounded by Lai Mohammed, Joe Igbokwe and which i perceived from most of your contribution lately.

Look, don't approach me with mischief and bitchy conduct. Talk to me man to man and I will respond politely to that style of discussion. How did you expect me to react when you mention "Gbawe" with obvious mischief? Tinubu get's talked about, to the extent some defend him, because of the ethic bigotry and hypocrisy we recognise from others.

Tinubu is no saint and many of us have never argued he is. In fact, majority of those who defend Tinubu here do so because of an innate hatred of unfairness and overt discrimination. Why , for example, does he deserve more vilification than other politicians who birthed militancy, terrorism and other ills now seriously threatening the future of Nigeria?

I believe on focusing on those who hold the offices to make a difference. In the grand scheme of things, Tinubu does not deserve to be talked about anywhere near as much as he is if Nigerians truly understand what matters.

If Tinubu has the power to reduce our recurrent expenditure , that diminishes what is available for capital spendings, then talk about him !!!!

If he is C-in-C and able to secure Nigeria, yet failing to do so, then talk about him !!!

If he deliberately granted marketers licence to undeserving folks who have now scammed Nigeria blind, then talk about the geezer !!!

If he has compounded one of our biggest problems, i.e refining our crude optimally, via conceding refineries into the hands of the ultra-corrupt and worthless NNPC, then talk about him!!!!!!

If all the above are not true about Tinubu, then it is you and other who would be seen as abnormal by non-Nigerians. Not Gbawe who has chosen to focus on those not delivering solutions for Nigeria despite having the office, power and resources to do so.

5 Likes

Re: Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC by seanet01: 9:35am On Sep 08, 2012
Ibos and their stupidity
Re: Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC by musiwa8: 9:45am On Sep 08, 2012
Re: Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC by Delafruita(m): 9:49am On Sep 08, 2012
it is indeed pitiful that a person would sit at his computer and write gibberish as long as this.it is even more pitiful when the person decides to compare a democracy of almost 300years with one of just 13years.

if i may ask,what position does tinubu occupy in the government of nigeria?what position does he occupy in any state government or even local government?isnt it pitiful that a person would attempt to hinge the failure of government on a person who isnt in government?

they say our leaders go abroad,see things and instead of replicating same here,they loot and go back to those countries to enjoy their loot.if i may ask,when asiwaju was championing the cause of fiscal federalism,where were you?asiwaju was the first person in nigeria to advocate for state police.where were you at that time?when he brought up the idea of municipalities to be created out of local governments so as to aid development at the grassroot,where were you?

in democracies all over the world,there are some people described as power-brokers who decided the way the pendullum swings.in america,such people exist in various counties and cities scattered all over the country.bill clinton lists quite a number of them in his biography.those people donate money and influence the direction of voters.some are billionaires while some are bar-owners but they swing the votes.asiwaju bola ahmed tinubu is one of such people in nigeria.his track record speaks for him.

asiwaju was in charlotte as a private individual invited based on his political ideology.he wasnt there as a nigerian delegate.chinese officials have the power to change the course of governance.dubai princes are absolute rulers and do as they please.asiwaju on the other hand has no political position.he is influential,no doubt,but only within his own party and we can see the evidence of his influence on the performance of elected officials of the ACN

6 Likes

Re: Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC by redsun(m): 9:59am On Sep 08, 2012
When you hear some yorubas defend this traitor of a man,tinubu,one can easily understand why some of them thought for real that awo's figure was on the moon,at the time of awo saga.They are blindly tribal and even harvard or oxford schooling can not make them see anything evil in a n evil person like tinubu.They failed to understand that criminals cannot represent society,irrespective of the tribal differences in nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC by PointB: 10:07am On Sep 08, 2012
Gbawe:

You are a sad loser. Whether you know it or not, you only show you are a weakling dominated by the characters of others with how you follow them slavishly and tailor virtually all your contribution here as a direct reaction to all their utterances. Learn to submit your own original thought and stop being such an obsessive lady-boy.

At least you have started answering to your name - Resident hypocrite, AC.N laptop #1. It shows you have the ability to learn new thing after all. Your next lesson (should you choose to accept it) is to respond to the article in your usual long boring essay about corruption iand evil men in corridors of power. Only this time, your attention should be focused on Tinubu and Ac.N. Or at least tell us how much you are paid to have your tongue stucked in Tinubu's sh1thole.
Re: Tinubu At The US Democratic Convention In Charlotte, NC by Delafruita(m): 10:08am On Sep 08, 2012
Billyonaire: Asiwaju Ahmed Tinubu did not hear that Bill Clinton own a den as huge as the Den of the Lion of Bourdillon at Ikoyi

More........
if by "den of lion" you mean his house on bourdillon which he lives in and has owned for many years before becoming governor,then i must salute your idiocy.

if by anointing you mean aiding him to win elections,then bill clinton anointed barack obama.its not in doubt that americans want a return to the clinton years.a time when 23million jobs were created.a time when homes had real value.republicans tried to paint obama as been the opposite of clinton.its well known that obama and clinton have been at loggerheads since 2008.obama realised he needed clinton by his side.axelrod and plouffe organized a game of golf between the two,and clinton agreed to speak at the convention.that,my friend,is clinton's way of saying I ANOINT OBAMA.

how do you even think?clinton didnt make obama president.no individual makes a person the POTUS.however,clinton is aiding obama in his re-election bid.just in case you dont know,serving presidents always look to past presidents for advice and even active participation.clinton sent carter to haiti to ensure duvalier left power mainly because carter was a good friend of aristide.he sent bush snr to bosnia.bush jr brought clinton and his father together to help out in raising funds for tsunami victims.thats the american system.a POTUS always remains one irrespective of party.i havent seen jonathan call buhari for a meeting to discuss boko haram despite buhari's experience at dealing with the maitsane.i havent seen jonathan summon a meeting of the opposition to discuss how to move forward.obama appointed a republican as sec of defense.he appointed hilary clinton as secretary of state despite the animosity between them.clinton retained alan greenspan as chairman of the fed despite the fact he was appointed by reagan.obama made jon huntsman his ambassador to china despite him been republican.i havent seen jonathan do anything of the sort.rather,jonathan appoints PDP buffoons who are apparently ill-equipped to do their job.

if you want to compare america tonigeria,do it wholistically.dont just type rubbish comparing tinubu with anybody you wish.after the aurora shootings,obama cancellled his campaign for the week and went to aurora.he met with all the families of the death.when i say met with,i mean he went to their houses one after the other.within a few days,the shooter had been found.when innocent citizens died in bauchi,jonathan was on his way to brazil for a frigging earth summit.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

APC Strongholds Lead In PVCs Collection / Okorocha: I Have Suffered Injustice From Govt I Helped Into Power / Blame PDP, Private Sector For Job Losses Not Buhari — APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.