Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,980 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:07 AM

My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me - Romance (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me (25733 Views)

My Boyfriend Started Acting Strange...help! / My Boyfriend Is Amazing.. Look At This Chat Between Us / How To Detect If Your Boyfriend Is A Good Guy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by Leobreezy(m): 6:27pm On Sep 08, 2012
sexkillz: A lion is not a Man. You cannot compare a man's intelligence and emotions to a lion's. . .

Try again.
FYI dats a proverb, i wasn't in anyway comparing humans 2 animals. My point is, its obvious dis guy is antipathetic to modern lifestyle. Do u really expect him 2 change overnight? Don't be sentimental, be realistic.

1 Like

Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by pearlhapi(f): 6:31pm On Sep 08, 2012
Leobreezy: U've got a point. D girl has herself 2 blame for falling in love with "Jedidiah". I mean, wat did he use to woo her, a goat and a bottle of palm wine? Gosh!!
you obviously do not know a tin about love!you that knows how to woo a gal with cars and flowers,doooh you try
Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by Nobody: 6:34pm On Sep 08, 2012
Lord_Reed:
I mention where you live as a contrast to your patronizing "love" for west african culture. You live in a modern society you sound like you don't want us to emulate and yet you want to preach.

Where did I assert that I don't want you to 'emulate' anything?? I just can't stand people who beg(force) it... If you're going to emulate anything, let it come to you in a gradual and more natural way, other than force it - and ridiculing people who want to do things in a more traditional and natural way, due to their upbringing is wrong... Hell yeah, I love West African culture(s), and I'm proud of it/them - have you got a problem with that?

Tell me do you travel to your village for cures when you are sick or do you only
applaud those who do? If you who are so enamored of "traditional" ways what are you doing in the UK?

I don't know why you want me to leave where I've lived all my life to make you happy, when I never told you to leave your abode... When you're in Rome, you act like the Romans, you're in Nigeria, find a Nigerian identity, and be that... And hell yeah, I do certain things in a more traditional/Yorubacentric way - I'm the best of both worlds.. undecided

The Asians have refined their culture with use of modern tools. You will not find an Asian who refuses modern medicine because they have incorporated it into practices they copied from the west. Or are you going to tell me they will pass up buying a nice car because they want to remain traditional? Please!

Verbose!! And did the guy tell you he hates cars, or western gadgets?? And Asians use a mix of both Asian and western drugs - but their culture is still the same... They're still buddhists and hinduists, and they still do most things the way they have been doing for eons...

If that's what she feels will fly her boat who are you to judge?

Who's she to ridicule an upright guy, who's happy the way he's?? For three years she never had a problem with it, only to wake up this morning and find him 'archaic' lol...
Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by ferhyntorlah(f): 6:38pm On Sep 08, 2012
pearl~hapi:
never a solution¤my bestfrnds bf used to be atypical of that dude the young lady just narrated but today they have the best love life any gal would ever wish for¤when I asked how she did it,simple she replied!I made him the kind of man I needed in him,she went further to state how she taught him a lot of things and even when he frowned at them all she would simply tell him I love u and that's why am here for you.she got him nice outfits and took time to explain how he should use them,atimes she purposely prepared what ops bf termed a white man food in d guys house and taught him how to use cutleries and why he needed such meals,my gf is the most loyal person av ever come across so even when the guy was gonna scream and shout and hate she still smilled and made him calm down.my dear op make ur bf the kind of man u want him to[my gfs bf was even worse]but today its all a story.correct him in love,be a mother and a friend and a sjister and I bet he would change•just don't frown wen he displays those he's archaic behaviour and use every opportunity to teach him,eg when he did what he did during your visit to your marid friend did you sit him down when u got home and explain why he shudnt av done what he did?or why he shud av just simply said thank you and maybe eat a little from the meal even if he didn't like it?did u take time to tell him that such things would make people loose respect for him?my dear if my friend of just about 21 years of age could make the best out of a man am sure you can do better•cheers

This is good but what if the dude in question is not willing and ready to change? You know there are some men like that; no matter how you try to make them see reasons, they still won't bulge.

At the coloured:
This is a very good counsel; I thought I was the only one who saw what the guy did as being wrong and inappropriate.

1 Like

Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by beblessed(f): 6:39pm On Sep 08, 2012
Hmmmmm. Op, i think you are still a teenager at heart. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your guy. He is simply not used to modern foods, facilities n propensities etc. For me, i love his kind of person. And i dont think you really love this man. True love will not use others to judge love. This guy is health conscious and so prefers local foods and remedies. You are not his type but i pray you dont miss him because he is very original. It's time you know what you want in a man and not what your family, friends,and society dictates for you.
Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by Leobreezy(m): 6:39pm On Sep 08, 2012
pearl~hapi:
and when did age become a factor for change?the guy needs help and the only gal that can help him is the woman in he's life.whatever happened to being there for the one you love huhn,or would you feel if your gf abandons you simply becos you av a foul attitude•my dear like I said earlier,if my gf could change her bf then op should do same[no one can ever outgrown changes]
Whether he's 29 or 92, d guy is fulsomely archaic frm op's discription + he also seems 2 be antipathetic 2 modern lifestyle, so how do u expect him 2 change?? For christs' sake, he thinks romance is for d west. Well we are all entitled our opinions. As for me, i believe this guy can never have a diffrnt orientation apart frm his present ideology.
Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by Nobody: 6:39pm On Sep 08, 2012
Leobreezy: FYI dats a proverb, i wasn't in anyway comparing humans 2 animals. My point is, its obvious dis guy is antipathetic to modern lifestyle. Do u really expect him 2 change overnight? Don't be sentimental, be realistic.
The proverb is baseless in this case. No one is asking him, or expecting him to change overnight. Change is gradual, and her encouragement will accelerate that change. They have been together for 3 years and she should have started earlier than now. All hope is not lost since it is obvious she loves him and she likes that "good heart" of his. . . If she puts her mind to it, she can change him, although not completely.

There are exceptions to every rule.
Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by Nobody: 6:41pm On Sep 08, 2012
beblessed: Hmmmmm. Op, i think you are still a teenager at heart. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your guy. He is simply not used to modern foods, facilities n propensities etc. For me, i love his kind of person. And i dont think you really love this man. True love will not use others to judge love. This guy is health conscious and so prefers local foods and remedies. You are not his type but i pray you dont miss him because he is very original. It's time you know what you want in a man and not what your family, friends,and society dictates for you.

I can't believe the beautiful Beblessed with the big purple font wrote this.. shocked shocked shocked

Bless you, you're more exposed and intelligent than these indoctrinated lot.. kiss
Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by Leobreezy(m): 6:45pm On Sep 08, 2012
pearl~hapi:
you obviously do not know a tin about love!you that knows how to woo a gal with cars and flowers,doooh you try
Ur still naive, soon u'll understand. And by d way, i never said u have 2 give a girl a car 4 her 2 date u. My point is, didn't d op notice his primitive personae b4 she began dating him?? Or did he pretend 2 be 21st century?
Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by pearlhapi(f): 6:46pm On Sep 08, 2012
beblessed: Hmmmmm. Op, i think you are still a teenager at heart. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your guy. He is simply not used to modern foods, facilities n propensities etc. For me, i love his kind of person. And i dont think you really love this man. True love will not use others to judge love. This guy is health conscious and so prefers local foods and remedies. You are not his type but i pray you dont miss him because he is very original. It's time you know what you want in a man and not what your family, friends,and society dictates for you.
you said it all•mehn am done with this issue!
Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by donkray: 6:46pm On Sep 08, 2012
If I were ur friend or Brother I MUST take u for spiritual deliverance, something is definitely weong with u. GET OUT OF THAT MANS LIFE BEFORE U SELL UR BB buy cowries(diamonds) lol
Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by MRMICKMEN: 6:48pm On Sep 08, 2012
she is desperate and too ugly,no modern man will want her lipsrsealed
Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by pearlhapi(f): 6:48pm On Sep 08, 2012
Leobreezy: Ur still naive, soon u'll understand. And by d way, i never said u have 2 give a girl a car 4 her 2 date u. My point is, didn't d op notice his primitive personae b4 she began dating him?? Or did he pretend 2 be 21st century?
me naïve?well I hear you btw my advice is to Op and not people who think they already know everything and are perfect
Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by Leobreezy(m): 6:51pm On Sep 08, 2012
sexkillz: The proverb is baseless in this case. No one is asking him, or expecting him to change overnight. Change is gradual, and her encouragement will accelerate that change. They have been together for 3 years and she should have started earlier than now. All hope is not lost since it is obvious she loves him and she likes that "good heart" of his. . . If she puts her mind to it, she can change him, although not completely.

There are exceptions to every rule.
Change him 2 become what?? She said he's local and frm her narration its obvious. Why are u guys being so quixotic?? What if he's not willing 2 change? And who said in dat 3 year period she hasn't attempted 2 change him? U can't remove a leopard's spots! If dis guy went 2 a university and the collegiate life of 4 years didn't change him, how do u think he will change? Be logical.

2 Likes

Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by pearlhapi(f): 6:55pm On Sep 08, 2012
ferhyntorlah:

This is good but what if the dude in question is not willing and ready to change? You know there are some men like that; no matter how you try to make them see reasons, they still won't bulge.

At the coloured:
This is a very good counsel; I thought I was the only one who saw what the guy did as being wrong and inappropriate.
thank God I gave an instance with my bestfriend so that should show that no one is above change and ehen before I forget,my friend drives one of the cutest cars we have in nigeria÷courtesy of the supposed village boy with lots of other things the guy has really done for her•this isn't a story I heard or was told,I SAW it happen so op just dnt abandone the guy abeg someday you would be proud of him
Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by Leobreezy(m): 6:55pm On Sep 08, 2012
pearl~hapi:
me naïve?well I hear you btw my advice is to Op and not people who think they already know everything and are perfect
I'm nt trying 2 display a facade of perfectionism, i'm being logical and rational. D guy won't change. He's primitive 2 his finger nails.
Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by LordReed(m): 6:55pm On Sep 08, 2012
shymexx:

Where did I assert that I don't want you to 'emulate' anything?? I just can't stand people who beg(force) it... If you're going to emulate anything, let it come to you in a gradual and more natural way, other than force it - and ridiculing people who want to do things in a more traditional and natural way, due to their upbringing is wrong... Hell yeah, I love West African culture(s), and I'm proud of it/them - have you got a problem with that?

No I don't but I have a problem we people holding on to the past and ridiculing those who want to move forward. There is nothing natural about any culture. Men make culture as they please.

I don't know why you want me to leave where I've lived all my life to make you happy, when I never told you to leave your abode... When you're in Rome, you act like the Romans, you're in Nigeria, find a Nigerian identity, and be that... And hell yeah, I do certain things in a more traditional/Yorubacentric way - I'm the best of both worlds.. undecided

I don't want you to leave but I don't want you to tell me how to live either. I will advocate for change in our Nigerian culture in line with modern tools. I will not hold on to ancient practices that have been superseded by newer and better practices.

Verbose!! And did the guy tell you he hates cars, or western gadgets?? And Asians use a mix of both Asian and western drugs - but their culture is still the same... They're still buddhists and hinduists, and they still do most things the way they have been doing for eons...

Loverboy bought an Audi 80 for 950k! That would get you a nice Honda babyboy or something comparable. Don't tell me that that was being traditional! As far I am concerned he was either being foolishly stodgy or he didn't make proper research. We will leave religion out this because it does not follow the normal rules.

Who's she to ridicule an upright guy, who's happy the way he's?? For three years she never had a problem with it, only to wake up this morning and find him 'archaic' lol...

She had always thought him archaic, she only has now brought things into proper perspective. Now she is ready to decide whether his archaic-ness is enough to make him unworthy of further consideration. This is not ridicule as you call it. She is facing up to reality and calling a spade a spade.

3 Likes

Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by Leobreezy(m): 6:56pm On Sep 08, 2012
pearl~hapi:
thank God I gave an instance with my bestfriend so that should show that no one is above change and ehen before I forget,my friend drives one of the cutest cars we have in nigeria÷courtesy of the supposed village boy with lots of other things the guy has really done for her•this isn't a story I heard or was told,I SAW it happen so op just dnt abandone the guy abeg someday you would be proud of him
We all possess diffrnt xters. D fact dat he was amenable doesn't mean all village guys are.
Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by pearlhapi(f): 6:57pm On Sep 08, 2012
Leobreezy: Change him 2 become what?? She said he's local and frm her narration its obvious. Why are u guys being so quixotic?? What if he's not willing 2 change? And who said in dat 3 year period she hasn't attempted 2 change him? U can't remove a leopard's spots! If dis guy went 2 a university and the collegiate life of 4 years didn't change him, how do u think he will change? Be logical.
why don't you believe in this word“change”even in movies you see village dudes who their spouse made a meaning out of their lives•it happens everyday and everywhere,how do I explain this to this boy?
Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by pearlhapi(f): 6:59pm On Sep 08, 2012
Leobreezy: We all possess diffrnt xters. D fact dat he was amenable doesn't mean all village guys are.
love conquers all,word!
Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by homelyg: 6:59pm On Sep 08, 2012
Men can be funny at times who knows maybe is a kind of test he's just giving you to really know your level of luv towards him.i advice u should be patient with him in as much you love him cos i believe he wants to try something.but honestly that guy is funny lo:-)
Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by Leobreezy(m): 7:01pm On Sep 08, 2012
pearl~hapi:
why don't you believe in this word“change”even in movies you see village dudes who their spouse made a meaning out of their lives•it happens everyday and everywhere,how do I explain this to this boy?
Are u comparing real life with fictional movies?? Besides, those village guys in d movies ADMIRE living in d city and all that. This guy is ANTIPATHETIC to modern lifestyle don't u get it?? Jeez!!
Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by dnawah(m): 7:03pm On Sep 08, 2012
To the vilage?well be ready to leave in a mud house,use clay pots and wooden utensils.when goin buy a note where u'll be copyin names of leaves and wat they cure.also be ready to farm but dont be afraid if he has a snake as pet.
Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by Leobreezy(m): 7:03pm On Sep 08, 2012
pearl~hapi:
love conquers all,word!
Are u a teenager or an adult?
Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by ferhyntorlah(f): 7:03pm On Sep 08, 2012
sexkillz: Stay with him.

He has done nothing wrong. He is not to be blamed for how he was brought up. You are just being petty. There is nothing you perceive as a problem that he cannot overcome with a little encouragement from you.

That is all you need to do. . . Encourage him and quit being lazy. That is what a girlfriend should do. . .

It's easier said than done. What if he isn't willing to be changed? If she can tolerate him no wahala but if she can't, she can always leave atleast they are not married yet.

Life is too short and we only get to live it once. Poster, do whatever makes you happy.

1 Like

Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by radektugal: 7:05pm On Sep 08, 2012
Your case is like a man d@ was served with meat,he complained d@ it was too bonny, he was told to throw it away but he said he will manage it. I don't see anything wrong in your BF attitude.it is simply his identity,just like u have yours. From your post it is not clear wether you 've sat him down to discuss his character deffect.if not, try & do & see if there 'll be changes. I'll not advice u to throw away a relationship of about 3 yrs away without u tring to see if u can fix it but if after all your effort, the guy stuck to his stuffs. Then I'll say the ball is in your court.
Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by Leobreezy(m): 7:05pm On Sep 08, 2012
ferhyntorlah:

It's easier said than done. What if he isn't willing to be changed? If she can tolerate him no wahala but if she can't, she can always leave atleast they are not married yet.

Life is too short and we only get to live it once. Poster, do whatever makes you happy.
Seconded
Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by pearlhapi(f): 7:07pm On Sep 08, 2012
Leobreezy: Are u a teenager or an adult?
ave been done with you like minutes ago!how come you didn't notice
Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by pearlhapi(f): 7:08pm On Sep 08, 2012
Leobreezy: Are u comparing real life with fictional movies?? Besides, those village guys in d movies ADMIRE living in d city and all that. This guy is ANTIPATHETIC to modern lifestyle don't u get it?? Jeez!!
I just the movies as an example•i still hold on to the fact dat the young man can change
Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by Nobody: 7:10pm On Sep 08, 2012
Lord_Reed:
]No I don't but I have a problem we people holding on to the past and ridiculing those who want to move forward. There is nothing natural about any culture. Men make culture as they please.

How's he holding on to past? Can't you see the OP alluded to the fact that the guy was raised by his grandmother - and his consciousness is more 'traditional' than 'modern'?? That aside, there are certain things that feel more natural to different races than others - we as Africans can always emulate 'Western/Europeans' but we will never be like them... Some things are just inborn, and no amount of imitation and copying can change it... A look at how foreign religions haven't worked in the Nigerian context should tell you all you need to know...

There's nothing bad in copying or 'modernizing' - but overdoing everything is just never going to work... There are certain things you just can't change... The best method is by balancing both.

Contemporary + Traditional = Prof. Wole Soyinka... Best of both worlds!!

I don't want you to leave but I don't want you to tell me how to live either. I will advocate for change in our Nigerian culture in line with modern tools. I will not hold on to ancient practices that have been superseded by newer and better practices.

That's why Nigeria is messed up!! Agreed that certain practices has to change, but a complete overhaul of the whole thing would be problematic... We've got a very good and rich culture, we just need to eliminate certain aspects of the culture, and leave the rest, period..

Loverboy bought an Audi 80 for 950k! That would get you a nice Honda babyboy or something comparable. Don't tell me that that was being traditional! As far I am concerned he was either being foolishly stodgy or he didn't make proper research. We will leave religion out this because it does not follow the normal rules.

Some people just love old cars... How about certain Americans who would spend their life savings on Chevy Impala 1967 model for any amount? Are they also stuck in the stone age?? Most white Britons prefer to live in old and country homes and would pay any amount for them - are they also stuck in the stone age??

She had always thought him archaic, she only has now brought things into proper perspective. Now she is ready to decide whether his archaic-ness is enough to make him unworthy of further consideration. This is not ridicule as you call it. She is facing up to reality and calling a spade a spade.

Tell her to call a spade a spade when they're together and stop ridiculing him in cyber space.. undecided undecided
Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by Leobreezy(m): 7:14pm On Sep 08, 2012
pearl~hapi:
I just the movies as an example•i still hold on to the fact dat the young man can change
Dats ur biz. To me, someone who thinks romance is exclusively for d west, should marry a tree instead. P.S He ain't gon' change one bit.

1 Like

Re: My Boyfriend Is Too Archaic It Worries Me by beblessed(f): 7:19pm On Sep 08, 2012
Plz op, leave the man alone! Only suggest to him. We should learn 2 love the natural african lifestyles. All these modern lifestyles only lead us to early graves via cancer, diabetes etc. Instead of raw garlic, buy d capsule forms. Who told u yam n red oil is not better than over preserved n processed springles? Even sex has been hyper- rated, only try to teach him wit love n you will have a healthy man by your side!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Sister Always Fights With Her Boyfriend / Thank God I Haven't Paid Her Exam Fees? / Funny Memes: Share any funny pic on your phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.