Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,527 members, 7,770,343 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:37 AM

Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Admits To Using Murdered Man’s ID In USA For 20 Years - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Admits To Using Murdered Man’s ID In USA For 20 Years (2262 Views)

How Gunmen Murdered Man For Being An APC Member / Buka Owner Confesses To Using Diabolical Means For Business Growth / Pastor Admits To Stealing Ipad In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Admits To Using Murdered Man’s ID In USA For 20 Years by claremont(m): 8:52pm On Sep 08, 2012
Bimbo Olumuyia Oyelwole, a 54-year-old Nigerian national and security supervisor at Newark Liberty Airport, passed work-related background checks even though he was working under the identity a man murdered decades ago, officials said.NEWARK, New Jersey — An illegal immigrant from Nigeria admitted Friday he assumed the identity of a murdered man so he could work at a busy New York City-area airport, where he was a security supervisor for 20 years. He now faces possible deportation.
Bimbo Oyewole, 54, pleaded guilty to using a fake security badge under a plea deal in which prosecutors agreed to recommend he receive probation. He had been charged with identity theft when he was arrested in May.
He will be jailed pending sentencing Oct. 19. The state attorney general’s office said Oyewole faces potential deportation.
Oyewole admitted he is in the country illegally, having entered on a student visa in 1989 and staying after it expired.
“I came in legally,” Oyewole, hands cuffed behind his back, told the court.
Oyewole admitted he used the identity and identity papers of Jerry Thomas, who was shot in New York in 1992.
Authorities had said Oyewole assumed Thomas’s identity weeks before he died. Police in New York said Thomas sold his documents to a Nigerian cab driver, who sold them to Oyewole. They said they had no evidence tying Oyewole to Thomas’ death.
Oyewole said he presented Thomas’ birth certificate and Social Security card to airport officials. He then received ID cards that give airport workers security clearance.
The Port Authority, which operates Newark Liberty International Airport, said Oyewole most recently worked for FJC Security Services, a contractor that staffs access gates and had access to airplanes and the tarmac. He supervised about 30 guards.
Port Authority officials were alerted to Oyewole after receiving an anonymous letter about him.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/illegal-immigrant-bimbo-oyewole-nigeria-admits-friday-murdered-man-identity-employment-newark-int-airport-article-1.1154640#ixzz25uSn4Tib

Re: Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Admits To Using Murdered Man’s ID In USA For 20 Years by justwise(m): 9:01pm On Sep 08, 2012
Its really bad for him, all he has worked for all these yrs is ruined. I guess he never thought that one day he will be caught
Re: Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Admits To Using Murdered Man’s ID In USA For 20 Years by claremont(m): 9:05pm On Sep 08, 2012
^^
What I really find hard to understand is how someone can spend 20 years abroad and never thought of regularising his immigration status?! I just hope he has something to fall back on in Nigeria when he eventually gets deported. A man who fails to plan, plans to fail.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Admits To Using Murdered Man’s ID In USA For 20 Years by justwise(m): 9:36pm On Sep 08, 2012
claremont: ^^
What I really find hard to understand is how someone can spend 20 years abroad and never thought of regularising his immigration status?! I just hope he has something to fall back on in Nigeria when he eventually gets deported. A man who fails to plan, plans to fail.

I think he got relaxed after couple of yrs without anybody questioning his identity, as with every fraudster they get cocky after sometimes without being nicked.
Re: Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Admits To Using Murdered Man’s ID In USA For 20 Years by r231(m): 10:48pm On Sep 08, 2012
justwise:

I think he got relaxed after couple of yrs without anybody questioning his identity, as with every fraudster they get cocky after sometimes without being nicked.

dumb move

just wasted 20yrs for nothing undecided
Re: Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Admits To Using Murdered Man’s ID In USA For 20 Years by justwise(m): 10:54pm On Sep 08, 2012
r231:

dumb move

just wasted 20yrs for nothing undecided

++ yrs he will spend in prison
Re: Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Admits To Using Murdered Man’s ID In USA For 20 Years by r231(m): 11:04pm On Sep 08, 2012
justwise: [/b]

++ yrs he will spend in prison

plus deportation
Re: Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Admits To Using Murdered Man’s ID In USA For 20 Years by justwise(m): 11:21pm On Sep 08, 2012
r231:

plus deportation

He will not be going down alone, the tax driver who sold the ID to him even before the owner died will be having sleepless night.
Re: Nigerian Illegal Immigrant Admits To Using Murdered Man’s ID In USA For 20 Years by mukina2: 11:23pm On Sep 08, 2012

(1)

Festival Of Prostitutes... Business In Festac / 5 Yoruba Men Gang-rape 21yr Old " Igbo" Lady / Transgender Woman Who Abused Women In Jail, Sent To Male Prison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.