Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,174 members, 7,807,556 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:16 PM

A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project (24153 Views)

Let Us Design Your Next Building Project / A Nairanlander Building Project / Why Soil Investigation Is Necessary For Your Building Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by FADEO: 10:36am On May 05, 2015
does anyone kniow if i need pillars for a 5 bedroom bungalow to be built in sango ota area (solid soil). The engineer says i dont need pillars. Just want to clearify. Please I need your advice.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by adanny01(m): 12:19pm On May 05, 2015
FADEO:
does anyone kniow if i need pillars for a 5 bedroom bungalow to be built in sango ota area (solid soil). The engineer says i dont need pillars. Just want to clearify. Please I need your advice.

You may not need. You only need when you are expecting some increased stresses such as that of large volume of backfill or as a result of unleveled land profile. Other factors may require the engineer from his judgment to introduce beams and columns.
Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by mufutau55(m): 4:58pm On May 05, 2015
Yes. You may not need pillars.. But pillars on the angles and strategic locations will always make your house solid and strong.
So you have to decide based on your pocket. Since the Engineer says no, it's now your decision if you want it or not.
If I can afford it, I will always implement some pillars..

Hajji M.
Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by adebaxton(m): 5:10pm On May 05, 2015
FADEO:

Please make use of pillars, don't look at the cost, short pillars will be okay.
I reside around the environment.

Bldr Adebayo A.
Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by sequencel(m): 9:20am On May 07, 2015
Congrat on your new site,please is there any vacant land in that axis,i need one plot for personal use. Anyone can contact me sequencel@yahoo.com
Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by Situation001(m): 11:11pm On May 09, 2015
FADEO:
what type of load will be imposed on the column.. as in what load will d pillar be carrying.. if it is just d roof load then you might not be needing it.. but if it will be subjected to other stress then you might need it..

I think it is bungalow.. you might actually not be needing it undecided
Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by Nobody: 7:01am On May 10, 2015
I'm following this thread.

TPL Mike.
Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by wtfCode: 2:28pm On May 10, 2015
i'll love to help u out.
Firstly, it depends on the soil.
Many soils that looks or appear strong in texture always experience earth movement.
Now, to avoid walls and even beams of ur building cracking in few months after construction, then u have to employ a better type of foundationing, i can't remember what its called,but it's the type of foundation were u first excavate ur wall line and please make use of columns or pillars as u may call it at wall intervals.

Then, 'chain' ur foundation,backfilled and compact,and then reinforce with concrete.
Then u're good to go and build ur house.
Don't mind the cost, neat and strong house is whats gonna sell u out.
Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by Dannyset(m): 6:36pm On May 10, 2015
wtfCode:
i'll love to help u out.
Firstly, it depends on the soil.
Many soils that looks or appear strong in texture always experience earth movement.
Now, to avoid walls and even beams of ur building cracking in few months after construction, then u have to employ a better type of foundationing, i can't remember what its called,but it's the type of foundation were u first excavate ur wall line and please make use of columns or pillars as u may call it at wall intervals.

Then, 'chain' ur foundation,backfilled and compact,and then reinforce with concrete.
Then u're good to go and build ur house.
Don't mind the cost, neat and strong house is whats gonna sell u out.
I think the type of foundation ur trying to describe here is the "Raft Foundation". But going by the type of soil we have in that area which I think is clay(red) soil, which its bearing capacity is high. So the type of foundation should be a "Strip Pad Foundation" which is suitable for that soil type. But going by the Earth movement which u talked about, I think he should put some columns at the edges since this is ur house and the more quality u input, the better.

3 Likes

Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by wtfCode: 12:53am On May 11, 2015
Dannyset:

I think the type of foundation ur trying to describe here is the "Raft Foundation". But going by the type of soil we have in that area which I think is clay(red) soil, which its bearing capacity is high. So the type of foundation should be a "Strip Pad Foundation" which is suitable for that soil type. But going by the Earth movement which u talked about, I think he should put some columns at the edges since this is ur house and the more quality u input, the better.
thanks for reminding me.
Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by sule4: 2:19am On May 14, 2015
adebaxton:

Please make use of pillars, don't look at the cost, short pillars will be okay

I reside around the environment.

Bldr Adebayo A.
is it alright to use gravels instead of granites, for pillars in erecting a bungalow? Thanks to all the experienced builders in the house.
Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by mufutau55(m): 2:27am On May 14, 2015
sule4:

is it alright to use gravels instead of granites, for pillars in erecting a bungalow? Thanks to all the experienced builders in the house.

Yes. You could use gravels but granite is far better for pillars. Just spend the little difference and use granites.

Hajji M.
Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by sule4: 7:29am On May 14, 2015
Thanks.
Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by FADEO: 12:28am On May 15, 2015
The construction started on Monday with the blinding. you can follow the thread to share you advice please, as i will need a lot of your advice as i progress from stage to stage and phase to phase of the project.

https://www.nairaland.com/2175777/start-new-building-project....need-advice#33749602
Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by sule4: 5:06am On May 19, 2015
mufutau55:

Yes. You could use gravels but granite is far better for pillars. Just spend the little difference and use granites.

Hajji M.
Mufutau55, please is using blocks for pillars as viable as concrete pillars in fencing a plot of land? Thanks.
Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by mufutau55(m): 1:50pm On May 19, 2015
sule4:

Mufutau55, please is using blocks for pillars as viable as concrete pillars in fencing a plot of land? Thanks.

Yes. Many people use it, I am also guilty of that. As long as the sand in that land is dry, just make sure it's at most 7 blocks in-between each block pillars.. but nothing beats concrete pillars if you can afford it.

Hajji M.
Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by Graceovereffort(f): 2:08pm On May 19, 2015
mufutau55:

Yes. Many people use it, I am also guilty of that. As long as the sand in that land is dry, just make sure it's at most 7 blocks in-between each block pillars.. but nothing beats concrete pillars if you can afford it.
Hajji M.
An open truth sir,ur no longer guilty smiley
Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by sule4: 2:42pm On May 19, 2015
Thank you so much for your candidness.
Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by mufutau55(m): 3:33pm On May 19, 2015
Graceovereffort:

An open truth sir,ur no longer guilty smiley

Thank you sir.

Hajji M.
Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by sule4: 12:19am On May 21, 2015
mufutau55:
.. but nothing beats concrete pillars if you can afford it.

Hajji M.
One more question mufutau55, what's the length of 12mm rod that's required for each pillar, in fencing. Thanks for all you're doing.
Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by mufutau55(m): 12:27am On May 21, 2015
sule4:

One more question mufutau55, what's the length of 12mm rod that's required for each pillar, in fencing. Thanks for all you're doing.

It depends on how tall your fence will be.. Each 12mm or 16mm iron rod length is about 39ft. So cutting one into three should do it or
4 if it's a short fence..

Hajji M.
Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by sule4: 12:30am On May 21, 2015
mufutau55:

It depends on how tall your fence will be.. Each 12mm or 16mm iron rod length is about 39ft. So cutting one into three should do it or
4 if it's a short fence..

Hajji M.

Doing 10 coaches.
Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by mufutau55(m): 12:35am On May 21, 2015
sule4:

Doing 10 coaches.

Doing 10 coaches is about 9ft. So cutting a rod into 4 pieces may do... that means 1 rod per pillar.
Please this is just an estimate not an actual calculations... just to guide you. Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by sule4: 12:42am On May 21, 2015
mufutau55:

Doing 10 coaches is about 9ft. So cutting a rod into 4 pieces may do... that means 1 rod per pillar.
Please this is just an estimate not an actual calculations... just to guide you. Thanks.

Hajji M.
I understand. Thank you so much for helping me avoid been taken to the cleaners again.
Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by Nobody: 9:46am On May 25, 2015
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

Sorry to poke my nose. But 10coaches/9ft fence.... Isn't that quite high?

Except he's residing in some where ish or trying to conceal some ish... Urban planners requires 3-4 coaches, then wrought iron or flora fence for CPTED and aesthetics basis (the urban requirement varies from places to places).
Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by mufutau55(m): 3:49pm On May 25, 2015
lomomike:

Except he's residing in some where ish or trying to conceal some ish... Urban planners requires 3-4 coaches,
then wrought iron or flora fence for CPTED and aesthetics basis (the urban requirement varies from places to places).

In Nigeria, there is no such thing as respect for any zoning ordinance. You have not seen a 9ft fence in Nigeria?
Except in Estates or rich people neighborhood, people don't respect those ordinances.
I will also like short fence with iron on top... but because of Nigeria situations, I will try to shield my property as much as possible, no display of wealth in my book.

Hajji M.

3 Likes

Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by Moana(f): 4:02pm On May 25, 2015
Awaiting your updates
Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by fippycbk(m): 4:54pm On May 25, 2015
mufutau55:

In Nigeria, there is no such thing as respect for any zoning ordinance. You have not seen a 9ft fence in Nigeria?
Except in Estates or rich people neighborhood, people don't respect those ordinances.
I will also like short fence with iron on top... but because of Nigeria situations, I will try to shield my property as much as possible, no display of wealth in my book.

Hajji M.

Exactly. I've seen a fence that's higher than the headroom of the building in the plot. Don't know what the owner was protecting grin
Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by Nobody: 10:38pm On May 25, 2015
fippycbk:

Exactly. I've seen a fence that's higher than the headroom of the building in the plot. Don't know what the owner was protecting grin
Him no protect anything because determined boyz go scale that fence and do their evil. And when such happens, he'll suffer it all alone.

Reason for shorter fence, wrought iron, steel wire mesh or floral fence which is adequated lit up at night is you can easily been seen and no much of a hiding place. This would naturally dissuade some petty criminal minded folks.

Besides, it impedes ventilation to the house (depending on building orientation and distance from fence) and if there's any ventilation, its a gust wind type which isn't really needed.

It also impedes natural lighting of the house (depending on the building orientation and distance from fence) in day time.

3 Likes

Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by mufutau55(m): 12:30am On May 26, 2015
lomomike:

Him no protect anything because determined boyz go scale that fence and do their evil. And when such happens, he'll suffer it all alone.

Reason for shorter fence, wrought iron, steel wire mesh or floral fence which is adequated lit up at night is you can easily been seen and no much of a hiding place. This would naturally dissuade some petty criminal minded folks.

Besides, it impedes ventilation to the house (depending on building orientation and distance from fence) and if there's any ventilation, its a gust wind type which isn't really needed.

It also impedes natural lighting of the house (depending on the building orientation and distance from fence) in day time.

@Lomomike
I didn't say I don't agree with you.. I agreed with you 1000%, it will be real nice to have short fence with iron on top.. beautiful too.

But Nigerian have their ways.. and the Town Planner don't enforce those zoning ordinance either... so everything go scatter, scatter.
All the advantages you gave for the short fence are all very good and true.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by Nobody: 6:17am On May 26, 2015
mufutau55:

@Lomomike
I didn't say I don't agree with you.. I agreed with you 1000%, it will be real nice to have short fence with iron on top.. beautiful too.

But Nigerian have their ways.. and the Town Planner don't enforce those zoning ordinance either... so everything go scatter, scatter.
All the advantages you gave for the short fence are all very good and true.

Hajji M.

My great oga you talk true.
walai fa, Nigerians get their ways of going around things. Na even the planners and other professionals dey join 'dabaru' the building process. And dem go claim say dey want Naija to fine like UK, US et al. But wuusai, e cant fit because of our cut corner ways.
Anytime i see those tall fences, i ask if na prison yard dey there.

OP, nothing do you sha, do your fence o.
Re: A Dairy Of My 1st Building Project by sule4: 9:16pm On May 26, 2015
lomomike:

Except he's residing in some where ish or trying to conceal some ish... Urban planners requires 3-4 coaches, then wrought iron or flora fence for CPTED and aesthetics basis (the urban requirement varies from places to places).
I just don't want suspicious neighbors knowing how many big bags I came in with, what time I came in or what time I left. my neighbors here don't care, it freaks me out when my neighbors there care too much. Sorry, if it seems to you like I'm hiding/myself or something.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

3 Billion Naira Residential Building. Possible? / Another Building Collapses In Lagos / Architectural Design Challenge - Post Your Design !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.