Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,360 members, 7,800,728 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:49 AM

The Island Of Socotra - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Island Of Socotra (5123 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Island Of Socotra by TerryCarr(m): 4:52am On Sep 10, 2012
Socotra, also spelled Soqotra, is a small archipelago of four islands in the Indian Ocean. The largest island, also called Socotra, is about 95% of the landmass of the archipelago. It lies some 240 kilometres (150 mi) east of the Horn of Africa and 380 kilometres (240 mi) south of the Arabian Peninsula. The island is very isolated and through the process of speciation, a third of its plant life is found nowhere else on the planet. It has been described as the most alien-looking place on Earth. The island measures 132 kilometres (82 mi) in length and 49.7 kilometres (30.9 mi) in width.
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0a/Topographic_map_of_Socotra-en.svg[/img]
[img]http://www.globalresearch.ca/articlePictures/yemenmap.jpg[/img] it very close to Somalia grin the Somali gov wants the islands because it is so close
Re: The Island Of Socotra by TerryCarr(m): 4:56am On Sep 10, 2012
[img]http://www.wayfaring.info/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/socotra_island2.jpg[/img]

i can see one reason why they would want it, it's beautiful grin
Re: The Island Of Socotra by TerryCarr(m): 5:05am On Sep 10, 2012
The indigenous inhabitants of Socotra are mainly of Southern Arabian descent, and are said to be especially closely related with the Qara and Mahra groups of Southern Arabia. There are also a number of residents of Somali and Indian origin. In addition, the island is inhabited by various Black African peoples, who are believed to be descendants of runaway slaves.

The Semitic language Soqotri, spoken originally only in Socotra, is related to such other Modern South Arabian languages on the Arabian mainland as Mehri, Harsusi, Bathari, Shehri, and Hobyot. Soqotri is also spoken by minority populations in the United Arab Emirates and other Persian Gulf states.

The majority of male residents on Socotra are reported to be in the J* subclade of Y-DNA haplogroup J. Several of the female lineages on the island, notably those in mtDNA haplogroup N, are found nowhere else on earth.

[img]http://www.socotra.info/assets/galleries/338/drums_20.JPG[/img]

Re: The Island Of Socotra by somalia2: 8:15am On Sep 10, 2012
Your obsession with Somalis has to end.
Re: The Island Of Socotra by TerryCarr(m): 1:44pm On Sep 10, 2012
there Semitic
Re: The Island Of Socotra by Nobody: 2:01pm On Sep 10, 2012
I think you purposely make such threads and posts of or relating to east africa because you want to attract ali and his jobless rants. You might as well put his "ask a somali" thread to good use and stop giving him ammo. to ruin this beautiful section.
Re: The Island Of Socotra by Nobody: 2:03pm On Sep 10, 2012
Re: The Island Of Socotra by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:05pm On Sep 10, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

I definitely agree.

ohooooo so now akatas are teaming up with SOmalis, are we? cool
Re: The Island Of Socotra by TerryCarr(m): 2:05pm On Sep 10, 2012
MsDarkSkin: I think you purposely make such threads and posts of or relating to east africa because you want to attract ali and his jobless rants. You might as well put his "ask a somali" thread to good use and stop giving him ammo. to ruin this beautiful section.
he's gonna ruin any thread any way he already started to mess up your African little beauty thing
Re: The Island Of Socotra by Nobody: 2:10pm On Sep 10, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

ohooooo so now akatas are teaming up with SOmalis, are we? cool

No. But some of the stuff he says are true.

He is annoying and there is a lot of bad blood between us but i cannot fight the facts. when you think about it certain members literally demonstrate what he says.

Anyway i am done with the issue.
All i will do is observe amd move on.
Re: The Island Of Socotra by somalia2: 2:35am On Sep 11, 2012
children children. Your maastaah is back. Kayla u of all people should not be talking about demonstrating the things that i say.

if u recall u were my ultimate demonstration of negroid inferirority, callin me 1am at night and sendin me those naughty bantu pics of ur bum.
Re: The Island Of Socotra by Nobody: 2:41am On Sep 11, 2012
somalia2: children children. Your maastaah is back. Kayla u of all people should not be talking about demonstrating the things that i say.

if u recall u were my ultimate demonstration of negroid inferirority, callin me 1am at night and sendin me those naughty bantu pics of ur bum.

RIGHT!

As I can recall that little depiction is not exactly how it went down Ali.
No long talking though.

Do your thing...

But don't refer to or speak to me, we have nothing to discuss.
Re: The Island Of Socotra by Nobody: 2:47am On Sep 11, 2012
sure i did. right....

again, we have nothing to discuss.

so, adios.
Re: The Island Of Socotra by somalia3: 8:10pm On Sep 11, 2012
mrsdarksin....i see you have friends in high places around here. every account i get is getting deleted when i mention your name.

well played young lady, well played. i suggest you call of your dogs, or things will escalate on a large scale war, involving suicide bombings type of carnage.
Re: The Island Of Socotra by Nobody: 12:00am On Sep 12, 2012
somalia3: mrsdarksin....i see you have friends in high places around here. every account i get is getting deleted when i mention your name.

well played young lady, well played. i suggest you call of your dogs, or things will escalate on a large scale war, involving suicide bombings type of carnage.

we can make it legal if you want to.
i just ask you to stay away from me.
Re: The Island Of Socotra by somalia3: 12:29am On Sep 12, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

we can make it legal if you want to.
i just ask you to stay away from me.

how can i stay away from what rightfuly belongs to me?
Re: The Island Of Socotra by Nobody: 12:29am On Sep 12, 2012
somalia3:

ok.

you've made your decision.
Re: The Island Of Socotra by somalia3: 12:36am On Sep 12, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

ok.

you've made your decision.

what u think of my decision?
Re: The Island Of Socotra by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:47pm On Sep 12, 2012
somalia3:

grin
Re: The Island Of Socotra by somalia5: 3:25am On Sep 13, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

grin

why u smiling boy?
Re: The Island Of Socotra by sexiestharam(f): 6:59am On Sep 14, 2012
The thread is quite misleading. The OP made it sound like the island is not owned by any country but according to wikipedia, it's a part of the republic of Yemen. Thanks for posting about the island anyway. I learnt something new.
Re: The Island Of Socotra by somalia5: 7:05am On Sep 14, 2012
sexiestharam: The thread is quite misleading. The OP made it sound like the island is not owned by any country but according to wikipedia, it's a part of the republic of Yemen. Thanks for posting about the island anyway. I learnt something new.

Hi ;

whats with the obsession of somalis on this god forsake site?
Re: The Island Of Socotra by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:57am On Sep 14, 2012
somalia5:

why u smiling boy?

go figure.
Re: The Island Of Socotra by sexiestharam(f): 12:36pm On Sep 14, 2012
somalia5:

Hi ;

whats with the obsession of somalis on this god forsake site?
Obsession with somalis? Hahaha, you wish!

1 Like

Re: The Island Of Socotra by TerryCarr(m): 5:21pm On Sep 14, 2012
they are not Somalis they are Semitic
Re: The Island Of Socotra by somalia5: 6:08pm On Sep 14, 2012
its obsession. u are interfering in somali politics.

ur obsession is crZy

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. / One Of The Best Yoruba Choral Songs I Have Heard In Recent Time. / The Bloodiest Battles In African Histroy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.