Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,671 members, 7,801,934 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:20 AM

A discussion on Bipolar Disorder - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A discussion on Bipolar Disorder (11765 Views)

True Fact About Mood Swing (bipolar Disorder ) / Plz Help My Fiance Just Told Me She Is Suffering From Bipolar Disorder / 13 Symptoms Of Bipolar Disorder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by deevah(f): 5:46am On Sep 10, 2012
Hi guys. Does anyone have any info Bipolar Disorder? I recently came across it and its quite intriguing. Pls share any info you have on the topic.....although I'm more interested in the mechanism of action of the disorder and the drugs used to treat it currently. Thanks smiley
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by Nobody: 11:52am On Sep 10, 2012
I dont personally, but I know a few ppl who do.

It is a stereotype that ppl with the disorder just spontaneously spazz out and get angry/ crazy unprovoked. Its gradual. Infact the worst I have seen are signs of depresion and isolation.

Denial is also a problem and that can lead to the anger but really unless they have gone through traumatic experiences, they are quite normal.
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by preselect(m): 12:51pm On Sep 10, 2012
Bipolar disorder is basically a psychiatric disorder where the patient has periods of depression and periods of mania. There are different types. Mostly treated with lithium. But sometimes valproate is used.

Get more info at

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/bipolar-disorder-symptoms-types

1 Like

Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by deevah(f): 1:53pm On Sep 10, 2012
thanks
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by preselect(m): 5:22pm On Sep 10, 2012
You're welcome smiley
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by Sissy3(f): 5:58pm On Sep 10, 2012
They are mood disorders with recurrent episodes of depression and mania.

medications for it include mood stabilizers such as lithium carbonate, antiepilectic agents that act as mood stabilizers-such as valproic acid, lamictal, neurotin and topax. also, benzodiazepines such as ativan can be used on a short term basis for a someone experiencing sleep impairment related to the manic phase of the disorder.

other therapeutic procedures can be use include ECT-Electroconvulsive therapy to subdue extreme manic behavior especially when medications have not helped

1 Like

Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by Sissy3(f): 6:07pm On Sep 10, 2012
some behaviors shown with bipolar disorders include:

mania: when they have abnormally elevated mood, can be described as expansive or irritable
hypo-mania: a less severe episode of mania that last at least 4 days accompanied by 3-4 symptoms of mania
mixed episode : when the person experiences both a manic episode and episode of major depression simultaneously
rapid cycling: when the person experiences episodes of acute mania within 1 year
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by Sissy3(f): 6:14pm On Sep 10, 2012
some signs and symptoms-

manic characteristics: euphoria, agitation, decreased sleep, implusivity-spending money, dashing away poessesions etc, attention seeking behaviors-flash dress, makeup, inappropriate behavior., excessive talking etc

depressive characteristics: flat, blunted, affect, tearfulness, crying, loss of pleasure and lack energy in things, self destructive behaviors, loss of sleep
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by Nobody: 10:04pm On Sep 10, 2012
pres-elect:
Bipolar disorder is basically a psychiatric disorder where the patient has periods of depression and periods of mania. There are different types. Mostly treated with lithium. But sometimes valproate is used.

Get more info at

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/bipolar-disorder-symptoms-types

hmmm! Some people for NL get this sickness.with the kind of comments I read daily here eh....some people suppose go for checkup!
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by Nobody: 10:08pm On Sep 10, 2012
~Sissy~:
some signs and symptoms-

manic characteristics: euphoria, agitation, decreased sleep, implusivity-spending money, dashing away poessesions etc, attention seeking behaviors-flash dress, makeup, inappropriate behavior., excessive talking etc

depressive characteristics: flat, blunted, affect, tearfulness, crying, loss of pleasure and lack energy in things, self destructive behaviors, loss of sleep
hmmm! MANIAC CHARACTERISTICS....."Thinking".....
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by SisiKill1: 10:12pm On Sep 10, 2012
MANIC is quite different from MANIAC

Please don't confuse the two. wink
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by Nobody: 10:37pm On Sep 10, 2012
~Sissy~:
They are mood disorders with recurrent episodes of depression and mania.

medications for it include mood stabilizers such as lithium carbonate, antiepilectic agents that act as mood stabilizers-such as valproic acid, lamictal, neurotin and topax. also, benzodiazepines such as ativan can be used on a short term basis for a someone experiencing sleep impairment related to the manic phase of the disorder.

other therapeutic procedures can be use include ECT-Electroconvulsive therapy to subdue extreme manic behavior especially when medications have not helped
Gbam ! I think that's self explanatory enough.
Bipolar disorder belongs to group of psychiatric illness called mood disorder though is not common in Nigeria but it exists. Through-out my psychiatry posting in Med school, we used to see more of schizo,depression, substance abuse and puerperium psychosis.
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by Nobody: 10:44pm On Sep 10, 2012
It is caused by a chemical imbalance. Eat balance diet including omega 3 fatty acids with vegetables and fruits, exercise regularly, drink Green tea. Chew nuts. Do what you are passionate about and stay positive. You will be fine in time.

For detail info and analysis: consult the psyche ward.
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by Emysandy: 10:46pm On Sep 10, 2012
Since oga banned the use of the popular G**** word on NL, the club members are diagnose with the B disorder. By their Mania, hypo-mania, rapid cycling and depressive character post you shall know them!
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by zuchyblink(m): 10:47pm On Sep 10, 2012
psycotherapy is the best for treating bipolar disorders.
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by sylve11: 11:46pm On Sep 10, 2012
berem: hmmm! Some people for NL get this sickness.with the kind of comments I read daily here eh....some people suppose go for checkup!

na wa for u o. sad cool
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by brosnan68: 11:49pm On Sep 10, 2012
Need more information on this.
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by Pakavy(m): 12:10am On Sep 11, 2012
berem: hmmm! Some people for NL get this sickness.with the kind of comments I read daily here eh....some people suppose go for checkup!
sharrap!!!

1 Like

Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by kandiikane(m): 12:11am On Sep 11, 2012
Crazy thing. undecided
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by deevah(f): 5:35am On Sep 11, 2012
Emysandy: Since oga banned the use of the popular G**** word on NL, the club members are diagnose with the B disorder. By their Mania, hypo-mania, rapid cycling and depressive character post you shall know them!
funny guy
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by JinaduJosefu(m): 5:36am On Sep 11, 2012
kayswag100:
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Nairalanders never fail to disgust me. how could u be asking for info' on bipolar disorder [b][/b]WHEN GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND?

99.5% of answers you will get wld be answers you can get urself. aunty, abeg make we hear word jooor!!
ur argument and conclusion is as empty as u!.....there is no crime in what d OP has done.....
1. we av medical personnels(psychiatry nurses,matrons,psychologists,psychiatrists etc) on NL that cud give us first hand info from their personal experiences...which we cud learn from and wud b informative.

2. a topic like ds gives room for constructive debate about conflicting ideas about the subject matter...e.g on ds particular thread,we've seen 2 different approaches to resolving the issue....some pple said lithium radicals cud resolve BP disorder while someone came forward with nutritional solution!.....

3. dont believe everything u see on google,there are some universal propangada to spread false knowledge and make d world believe somethings like.....HIV originated from africa monkeys,....Global warming is caused by greenhouse gasses generated by humans **when more than 90% of the world greenhouse gasses are naturally generated ,hw logical is that?**-a bid to sell expensive sources of energy to d rest of d world..

4. Thank God u said 99.5% of what is written here is from google,...that 0.5% that we wud get here cud b a cutting edge....let's learn to learn!

5. One last thing, think deep bro b4 postin nxt tym

9 Likes

Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by Chanchit: 6:12am On Sep 11, 2012
With all this symptoms, I'm sure thats what Rashidi Yekini had.

@Op, tnks for bringing this up, cos I've never heard it before now.

1 Like

Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by sigmundfreud(m): 6:15am On Sep 11, 2012
casket:
Bipolar disorder belongs to group of psychiatric illness called mood disorder though is not common in Nigeria but it exists. Through-out my psychiatry posting in Med school, we used to see more of schizo,depression, substance abuse and puerperium psychosis.
Guy...where did u train?
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by sigmundfreud(m): 6:18am On Sep 11, 2012
Olodostein: It is caused by a chemical imbalance. Eat balance diet including omega 3 fatty acids with vegetables and fruits, exercise regularly, drink Green tea. Chew nuts. Do what you are passionate about and stay positive. You will be fine in time.

For detail info and analysis: consult the psyche ward.
chemical imbalance yes...other things are not true. Green tea ko, agbo jedi ni
Olodo.
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by sigmundfreud(m): 6:45am On Sep 11, 2012
Bipolar affective disorder is a major psychiatric illness (mood disorder) with a lifetime prevalence of abt 1%. Affects male and female equally and commonly starts around 17/21 yrs.
Bipolar=two poles. Mania and depression. The pix can be mixed sometimes. One might have mania in the 1st episode and swing to depression in the next...or vice versa. Other details are beyond the scope of here.
Mania...elated/irritable mood, talkativeness, overgenerosity, poor sleep, increased apetite/libido, grandiosity etc
Depression...low mood, low energy, loss of interest in pleasure. Hopelessnes, worthlessness, poor sleep and concentration,SuicidaL ideation
Both of them can have psychotic features i.e hallucinations and delusions.
Causes...multifactoral. Genetics, enviroomental , psychological and biological.
Treatment. Antipsychotics and mood stabilizers. Psychotherapy.
Treatment diff for the acute phase and maintenance...
Support them and dont stigmatize!
Thanks for listening.

2 Likes

Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by ACM10: 6:59am On Sep 11, 2012
Many posters has done so much justice to this topic that there is little or nothing left for me to add.

(Bi)polar disorder , just like its name sounds is a psychiatric disorder that straddles between two poles/phase.
Rep. Jackson was recently diagnosed of bipolar disoder and is presently on treatment.

We have:
Bipolar I and Bipolar II disorders.

Bipolar I disorder includes episodes of both mania(very elevated mood) and major depression.
Bipolar II disorder includes episodes of both hypomania(elevated mood, but not as severe as in mania) and major depression.

Conditions that predict bipolar disorder include:
1. Depression characterized by psychotic symptoms or psychomotor retardation.
2. Mania or hypomania after antidepressant drug therapy.

Lithium is the drug of choice in treating mania. Lithium is used to control aggressive behaviour and enhance the activity of antidepressants.
Anticonvulsants such as carbamazepine and valproic acid are also used to treat mania.

P.S: Electroconvulsive therapy(ECT) has no place in the management of mania. But it can be used in severe depression when other modalities has failed!
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by malignant1: 7:33am On Sep 11, 2012
Dear moderator,

Unban ACM10 and make my comment visible. Something must be definitely wrong with your pyguru. It's becoming a nuisance on this forum
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by malignant1: 7:59am On Sep 11, 2012
casket:

You are in fact right! Bipolar disorder is not common in Nigeria. 80% of psychiatric disorders in Nigeria is schizophrenia. Other 15 - 18% are depression, substance abuse, peerperium psychosis. The remaining 2 - 5% are textbook cases like bipolar disorders, anxiety disorders, dissociative disorders. Even those textbook cases are often lost to wrong diagnosis.

One of the way to make the diagnosis of bipolar disorder is when mania or hypomania was precipitated after antidepressant drug therapy.

Only yesterday in the medical advice thread, someone perfectly described a history that resembles panic disorder. A wrong diagnosis was made by the physician and he unfortunately placed him on the therapy for angina pectoris, then later left ventricular failure. But there is no history of dyspnoea, orthopnoea or PND. Ofcourse, his symptoms could not subside and he rushed to the health advice thread after he was unable to observe any noticeable improvement. I was amazed! I never knew that I can ever meet someone having a panic disorder. I advised him to meet a psychiatrist immediately.

The point that I'm trying to make is that some of those textbook cases do occur in Nigeria. But they are lost to wrong diagnosis because our doctors are not properly trained to identify them.
Re: A discussion on Bipolar Disorder by teesexy1(m): 8:08am On Sep 11, 2012

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Doctors In The House I Need Help,boil On My Testicles(graphic Picture) / Over 5,000 Nigerian Doctors In S/africa - Envoy / CSOs Hold "Let The Poor Live" Protest In Abuja Over Ban On Sachet Alcohol

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.