Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,259 members, 7,807,892 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:02 PM

Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? (28437 Views)

History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) / The Beauty Of Northern Nigerian Women / Pictures, Slight And Sound Of Northern Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by ijawcitizen(m): 4:10am On Sep 23, 2013
Radoillo: Correct me if I'm wrong, but

Ogie in Edo means king/chief/lord
And Iso in Edo means sky.

So that OGISO would mean Lord of the Sky.

Where then is this suggestion that Ogiso, the supposed title of the pre-Eweka rulers of Benin, is of Ijaw origin coming from?
OGINA is the supreme God in Ijaw religion, she is female. SO/SUO in Ijaw is not sky but HEAVEN. We Ijaws see ourselves as children of our mother Ogina, the supreme God, creator & God of the heavens (So/Suo)

OGISO has its origin in Ijaw that is why the earliest Ogisos bear Ijaw names, they don't have Bini names.

We Ijaws have always seen ourselves as sacred beings (not superior beings) and being direct offsprings the Almighty God who is a woman (female) in Ijaw spiritual culture. Hence even the name we call the christian (masculine) God is feminine: Tamara/Tamuno is actually a contraction of TEME ARA (ERE) meaning 'SHE WHO CREATED US"

Because of the spiritual nature of our envirinment & every aspect of our culture, our ancestral name is ORU which means 1) gods 2) ancient & sacred, as a mattter of fact it is a fusion of both being gods, sacred & ancient people.

You should know that even before Ijaw people became educated, anthropologist has studied & concluded that Ijaws are indeed the most ancient people in S/Nigeria and one of the most ancient in W/Africa. Before the time of Yoruba migration to Yoruba land and the formation of the Bini kingdom, Ijaws have been existing in the Niger Delta.

Ijaws history is awashed with tales of certain Ijaws migrating from BENIN AREA, that was basically the coming of the more stronger-land based Bini people, and they seized control of the Ogiso traditional rulership of the area.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by macof(m): 8:05am On Sep 23, 2013
eziza:

So you mean say for dis small kpangolo 9ja wey we dey so, you never hear of Obahiagbon the gammarian?

Ok ooo...

Obasohan
Obasogie
Obasuyi
Obakpolor
Obadigie
Obamwonyi
Obaretin
Igbinoba
Ikponmwonba
Ohonba
Obobaifo
Aiguobasiwin
Aikhionbare
Aiwerioba
Edoba
Enobakhare
Eghobamien

....just to name a few.

and oh btw, Oba is an Edo word!
I just wanted examples. Btw Oba was a Yoruba first

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by aljharem(m): 8:54am On Sep 23, 2013
I really really doubt if oba is actually a bini word. I mean in Yoruba we say Iba fun Oba. What does ba mean in yoruba ? Bow to someone

I mean binis still use Yoruba names such as Tunde, mayowa, omo, dele, Ojo, abeo etc so what's to say oba is not yoruba ?

3 Likes

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 9:23am On Sep 23, 2013
@ Ijaw citizen,

The names of the first five Ogisos:

Igodo/Obagodo
Ere
Orire
Odia
Ighido

Do the names mean anything in Ijaw?
The last two sound Edo enough. Don't know about the first three.

(PS: My question isn't sarcastic. I understand neither Ijaw nor Edo)
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by aljharem(m): 6:20pm On Sep 23, 2013
Radoillo: @ Ijaw citizen,

Igodo/Obagodo
Ere
Orire
Odia
Ighido

You see, I didn't even know the names of ogiso people. It is a smack of hypocrisy on binis to claim these were men from the sky but oduduwa is from bini.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by aljharem(m): 6:25pm On Sep 23, 2013
igodo is a word among aworis and egun

Ere means a statues or success

Orire means seeing success

It is clear that the bini ogiso were yorubas until odia

3 Likes

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by PhysicsQED(m): 6:53pm On Sep 23, 2013
alj harem: I mean binis still use Yoruba names such as Tunde, mayowa, omo, dele, Ojo, abeo etc so what's to say oba is not yoruba ?

We just went over this 'omo' thing. Are you trolling now, or just being obstinate for no reason?

It's simply unintelligent to claim "omo" as exclusively Yoruba.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by PhysicsQED(m): 7:01pm On Sep 23, 2013
Edited: never mind
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Sep 23, 2013
alj harem: igodo is a word among aworis and egun

Ere means a statues or success

Orire means seeing success

It is clear that the bini ogiso were yorubas until odia

Well, until you've heard the names pronounced, and heard what (if anything) they mean to Bini people, it may not be very wise to say they are of Yoruba or non-Edo origin.

For example, an igbo speaker may easily ascribe Igbo meanings to Igodo, Ere and Orire.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by PhysicsQED(m): 7:04pm On Sep 23, 2013
@ Radoillo, I'm not sure if your source for the names you listed was wikipedia, but if it was, my advice is to be a bit more wary about information obtained from there (or other not-so-official online sources). There was no Ogiso named Odia nor was there one named Ighido, and the actual list of the first five is different.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Sep 23, 2013
PhysicsQED: @ Radoillo, I'm not sure if your source for the names you listed was wikipedia, but if it was, my advice is to be a bit more wary about information obtained from there (or other not-so-official online sources). There was no Ogiso named Odia nor was there one named Ighido, and the actual list of the first five is different.

LOL. I hardly ever use Wikipedia for information of this sort.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Sep 23, 2013
Some Edo site though. Guess the internet as a whole isn't all that reliable.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by PhysicsQED(m): 7:15pm On Sep 23, 2013
Actually Radoillo, I just saw the source of the Ogiso list that includes "Odia" and "Ighido" and it's some book with an alternate list of names of the Ogiso rulers. Anyway, that list isn't the one I'm familiar with, so I thought the names were just from wikipedia.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Sep 23, 2013
PhysicsQED: Actually Radoillo, I just saw the source of the Ogiso list that includes "Odia" and "Ighido" and it's some book with an alternate list of names of the Ogiso rulers. Anyway, that list isn't the one I'm familiar with, so I thought the names were just from wikipedia.

I'm not surprised that different versions of the Ogiso kinglist exists. It was a long time ago, and some of the names could be recent fabrications.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by PhysicsQED(m): 7:52pm On Sep 23, 2013
Radoillo, I do have another question, if you don't mind my asking. You seem to have some interest in Benin's past and even seem to have taken the time to read at least part of one of Egharevba's publications. And then there's that peculiar picture in your profile. What exactly is your interest in the history of that kingdom? I'm just curious, given some of your previous comments.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by aljharem(m): 7:58pm On Sep 23, 2013
Radoillo:

Well, until you've heard the names pronounced, and heard what (if anything) they mean to Bini people, it may not be very wise to say they are of Yoruba or non-Edo origin.

For example, an igbo speaker may easily ascribe Igbo meanings to Igodo, Ere and Orire.

Very correct actually
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by aljharem(m): 7:59pm On Sep 23, 2013
@ Radoillio I can confirm those names are of yoruba origin. I mean the ogiso names
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Sep 23, 2013
You must have guessed I'm Igbo. My interest is in Southern Nigerian history generally, especially the inter-relations between igbo-speaking peoples and their neighbours.

My profile picture doesn't really mean anything in particular. I just like how the 'artist' put sunshades on the sculpture. grin

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by aljharem(m): 8:10pm On Sep 23, 2013
Radoillo: You must have guessed I'm Igbo. My interest is in Southern Nigerian history generally, especially the inter-relations between igbo-speaking peoples and their neighbours.

My profile picture doesn't really mean anything in particular. I just like how the 'artist' put sunshades on the sculpture. grin

Not at all. I actually thought you were yoruba. Anyway whichever the case, you can read this

http://www.academia.edu/1903103/Between_the_Ogiso_and_Oba_Dynasties_An_Interpretation_of_Interregnum_in_the_Benin_Kingdom
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by PhysicsQED(m): 8:15pm On Sep 23, 2013
Radoillo: You must have guessed I'm Igbo. My interest is in Southern Nigerian history generally, especially the inter-relations between igbo-speaking peoples and their neighbours.

I didn't think you were Igbo until I read where you said you were.

And you didn't really answer my question, but that's okay.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Sep 23, 2013
alj harem:

Not at all. I actually thought you were yoruba. Anyway whichever the case, you can read this

http://www.academia.edu/1903103/Between_the_Ogiso_and_Oba_Dynasties_An_Interpretation_of_Interregnum_in_the_Benin_Kingdom

Looks interesting. I'm using a phone now, so the print is rather small. Will read it when I'm using a laptop.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by PhysicsQED(m): 8:22pm On Sep 23, 2013
lol, Bondarenko is good (a good researcher), but a few of his articles are riddled with confusions and misunderstanding of the source material - sometimes due to his over-reliance on certain types of already published sources at the expense of doing more firsthand investigation like Bradbury, Ben-Amos, Nevadomsky, etc. did. I would comment at length on some of his interpretations and mistakes, but I couldn't do it here, since I might decide to publish something on that eventually.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Oct 09, 2013
Radoillo: @ Ijaw citizen,

Igodo/Obagodo
Ere
Orire
Odia
Ighido

The first three are Pure Ijaw.. matter of fact I am a descendant of the IGODO-AME of ancient KALABARI.. Ere in Ijaw means female or feminin and could also mean name.. Orire is also Ijaw but I can't find the meaning at this time...

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Oct 09, 2013
ijaw citizen: OGINA is the supreme God in Ijaw religion, she is female. SO/SUO in Ijaw is not sky but HEAVEN. We Ijaws see ourselves as children of our mother Ogina, the supreme God, creator & God of the heavens (So/Suo)

OGISO has its origin in Ijaw that is why the earliest Ogisos bear Ijaw names, they don't have Bini names.

We Ijaws have always seen ourselves as sacred beings (not superior beings) and being direct offsprings the Almighty God who is a woman (female) in Ijaw spiritual culture. Hence even the name we call the christian (masculine) God is feminine: Tamara/Tamuno is actually a contraction of TEME ARA (ERE) meaning 'SHE WHO CREATED US"

Because of the spiritual nature of our envirinment & every aspect of our culture, our ancestral name is ORU which means 1) gods 2) ancient & sacred, as a mattter of fact it is a fusion of both being gods, sacred & ancient people.

You should know that even before Ijaw people became educated, anthropologist has studied & concluded that Ijaws are indeed the most ancient people in S/Nigeria and one of the most ancient in W/Africa. Before the time of Yoruba migration to Yoruba land and the formation of the Bini kingdom, Ijaws have been existing in the Niger Delta.

Ijaws history is awashed with tales of certain Ijaws migrating from BENIN AREA, that was basically the coming of the more stronger-land based Bini people, and they seized control of the Ogiso traditional rulership of the area.

You are perfectly correct.. Names like SOTONYE By heavens sake or the will of nature, Sobiebo ( Sobiobo ) Originate from Heaven or natural . Soibifaa= The goodness of nature stays forever.... Ogi So is definitely Ijaw Ogina so is actually OGI NA SO in Eastern Ijaw dialect which means OGI SO or the God of heaven...
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by olumidaie(m): 10:15pm On Oct 09, 2013
killayut:

You are perfectly correct.. Names like SOTONYE By heavens sake or the will of nature, Sobiebo ( Sobiobo ) Originate from Heaven or natural . Soibifaa= The goodness of nature stays forever.... Ogi So is definitely Ijaw Ogina so is actually OGI NA SO in Eastern Ijaw dialect which means OGI SO or the God of heaven...

If I may ask, why is it that Ijaw history/origin is intertwinned with Yoruba? I am not here as a Ilaje-Yoruba dude to claim Ijaw; but to get the truth of the question.

Ijaw claim Ideresoake as a founding father. Ideresoake aslo known as Osangangan Obamakin (and nicknamed OKANBI: as he was Oduduwa only son for a long period of time), was the 2nd Ooni of Ife, after his father, Oduduwa. (check History of the Yorubas by S. Johnson).

Ogun, Oduduwa second son (from Oduduwa palace maid/servant; ORUNTO) is also claimed by Ijaws.

Finally, Adimula (Oduduwa grandson fondly called OWA OBOKUN: the SEA SEEKER) is somtimes called the father of the Ijaws. Some Ijaws claim that on his way to get salt/sea water to clear his father Oduduwa's blindness; he impregnated a woman whose ofspring was Ijo. Adimula later went to Ife to found Ilesa( Ile ti a sha).

These claims are usually postulated by the Apoi-Ijaws here in Ondo state, and other Ijaw sub-groups. It's even the accepted origin of Ijo on the net in most/all Ijaw sites.

As an Ijaw person, do you see these claims as facts? Do you have an alternative origin to it? Do you see it as a political move by some expansionist Yorubas to get hold, and LEGITIMACY of your oil: probably when the country dissolve as predicted
I need you answer. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by olumidaie(m): 10:15pm On Oct 09, 2013
killayut:

If I may ask, why is it that Ijaw history/origin is intertwinned with Yoruba? I am not here as a Ilaje-Yoruba dude to claim Ijaw; but to get the truth of the question.

Ijaw claim Ideresoake as a founding father. Ideresoake aslo known as Osangangan Obamakin (and nicknamed OKANBI: as he was Oduduwa only son for a long period of time), was the 2nd Ooni of Ife, after his father, Oduduwa. (check History of the Yorubas by S. Johnson).

Ogun, Oduduwa second son (from Oduduwa palace maid/servant; ORUNTO) is also claimed by Ijaws.

Finally, Adimula (Oduduwa grandson fondly called OWA OBOKUN: the SEA SEEKER) is somtimes called the father of the Ijaws. Some Ijaws claim that on his way to get salt/sea water to clear his father Oduduwa's blindness; he impregnated a woman whose ofspring was Ijo. Adimula later went to Ife to found Ilesa( Ile ti a sha).

These claims are usually postulated by the Apoi-Ijaws here in Ondo state, and other Ijaw sub-groups. It's even the accepted origin of Ijo on the net in most/all Ijaw sites.

As an Ijaw person, do you see these claims as facts? Do you have an alternative origin to it? Do you see it as a political move by some expansionist Yorubas to get hold, and LEGITIMACY of your oil: probably when the country dissolve as predicted
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by ijawcitizen(m): 10:24pm On Oct 09, 2013
To answer all your questions, ask yourselves this one question.

Is Oduduwa a Yoruba man? Keep the answer to yourself.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 10:49am On Oct 10, 2013
olumidaie:

It's simple.. People just do not want to take it no matter how we explain it. Ijaws were never land claiming or land grabbing. There was never any form of territorial claim in Ijaw land.We never built an enclave before this time. So different people who could come, came to the aboriginal land of the Ijaw people. Ijaw people have been in the Niger delta surviving by fishing and fruit gathering . So no any other group was stopped or harassed . Ilaje in Ijaw land are not only in Ondo state. The Ilaje drifted even up to the Eastern Ijaw where they lived among the Nembe, Kalabari, Okrika to become part of them introducing words like OKE ( BOUNDARY ) and other Ilaje Yoruba words. They were the timber men along with Itshekiris that supplied Timber to the people. Ilaje people could have settled at any where even in the Eastern Ijaw area without being molested or harassed. That is how hospitable the Ijaws are. So finding Ilaje settlements in the territory of the Ijaws in Ondo state and even parts of Edo state is not strange. All the conflicts of today is due to the discovery of Oil where the Ijaws are being pushed away for for the benefit of the Up land tribes using their scattered people who strayed in to the Ijaw area that have lived peacefully with the Ijaws over many many years.. GO BACK IN HISTORY to see if there was ever any Ijaw problem with either ILAJE or any other non Ijaw in the Niger delta ? The conflicts just started recently because certain people want to gain the oil and gas royalty. Why were there no wars between the people over fishing creeks, fishing settlements before this time ? So it is not fair to deny IJAW HISTORY. The facts are clear ..

Now . First you should know that the people called Yoruba today were never called Yoruba. They were known as ANAGO. The Anago were not anywhere near the Ocean. Even THE ANCIENT MAP OF OYO empire does not extend to the Ocean. Lagos, BADAGRY and southern OGUN and Ondo land were never part of Oyo empire. The Yorubas just recently migrated to the extreme south taking advantage of one Nigeria .

The children of ODUDUWA and such Yoruba people claimed to have fathered Ijaws were simply children of such Yoruba people that migrated to the Ijaw area that lived among the Ijaws. The offspring of those people are the reason we have mixture of Ijaw and Yorubas . Ijaw is a distinct tribe from Yoruba. But over many many Years Yorubas have migrated to Ijaw land to form a new breed of Ijaw who claim ancestry to Yoruba land.. This was how the Ijaw identity of ancient BENIN died. and how the Ijaw identity of Lagos area died too..

So the claim of the APOI Ijaws that their ancestors were children of Oduduwa and all the names you mentioned is very very True. The ones claiming such ancestry are the Yorubas that migrated to Ijaw land whose history over shadowed the history of the real Ijaws. Its like writing the history of USA without taking cognizance of the natives and going on to say the ancestors of Americans WERE Europeans that migrated to the place...The Aboriginal Ijaws do not have ancestry to Yoruba land.

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by macof(m): 2:09pm On Oct 10, 2013
olumidaie:

I know Ijo(Ijaw) and Yoruba have a link. but its hard to believe this

The Ogisos of former bini have Ijaw names, that means Ijaw is older than Benin or Benin came from Ijaw. We know that Oranmiyan was the one that set the current benin kingdom displacing all Ogiso claim to Benin's throne. So now to say Oranmiyan's father(Okanbi) founded Ijaw seems impossible.

the most excepted theory would be that, some Ijaw tribes are mixed with Ijaw and yoruba. Not that the entire Ijaw is of Yoruba Origin

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Oct 11, 2013
macof:

I know Ijo(Ijaw) and Yoruba have a link. but its hard to believe this

The Ogisos of former bini have Ijaw names, that means Ijaw is older than Benin or Benin came from Ijaw. We know that Oranmiyan was the one that set the current benin kingdom displacing all Ogiso claim to Benin's throne. So now to say Oranmiyan's father(Okanbi) founded Ijaw seems impossible.

the most excepted theory would be that, some Ijaw tribes are mixed with Ijaw and yoruba. Not that the entire Ijaw is of Yoruba Origin

Use the land of the Hausas for example.. Before the Fulanis came, The Hausas had 7 states but the Fulanis came and took over and established Islamic states INSTEAD removing the Hausa leadership and replacing it with EMIR.. That was change of DYNASTY..Today we have a breed of Hausa AND Fulani at many places just as we have pure Fulani and pure Hausa at other places.. The OGISO which was IJAW was replaced by the EDO and the Ijaw pushed south wards while many remained to be new breed of EDO / IJAW MIXTURE. You can see the Ijaws of GELEGELE and Ofunama AND JUST at the South of Benin city can not even trace when they arrived because they are very very ancient.

Now if you say Oranmiyan was the one that set the current Benin throne, how come the people do not speak Ife dialect or Language ? How did Edo language evolve if there were no tribe like Edo ?Oranmiyan may have been a single man who strayed in to Edo territory and was adopted by the Edos and made a King.. In Ijaw land we made an Igbo migrant a king in Opobo. It does not mean the Igbo man founded the kingdom of Opobo,Opobians are pure Ijaws..

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by macof(m): 4:02pm On Oct 11, 2013
killayut:

Use the land of the Hausas for example.. Before the Fulanis came, The Hausas had 7 states but the Fulanis came and took over and established Islamic states INSTEAD removing the Hausa leadership and replacing it with EMIR.. That was change of DYNASTY..Today we have a breed of Hausa AND Fulani at many places just as we have pure Fulani and pure Hausa at other places.. The OGISO which was IJAW was replaced by the EDO and the Ijaw pushed south wards while many remained to be new breed of EDO / IJAW MIXTURE. You can see the Ijaws of GELEGELE and Ofunama AND JUST at the South of Benin city can not even trace when they arrived because they are very very ancient.

Now if you say Oranmiyan was the one that set the current Benin throne, how come the people do not speak Ife dialect or Language ? How did Edo language evolve if there were no tribe like Edo ?Oranmiyan may have been a single man who strayed in to Edo territory and was adopted by the Edos and made a King.. In Ijaw land we made an Igbo migrant a king in Opobo. It does not mean the Igbo man founded the kingdom of Opobo,Opobians are pure Ijaws..
I didnt say there was no Edo group before Oranmiyan, wat I said was dat he displaced the former kings of the land and made his first son to continue, Edo is in no way yoruba but their kings are Yoruba

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Oct 11, 2013
macof: I didnt say there was no Edo group before Oranmiyan, wat I said was dat he displaced the former kings of the land and made his first son to continue, Edo is in no way yoruba but their kings are Yoruba

That is also possible..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigeria's Pidgin English Dictionary / Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions / Who Is A Jew Man?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.