Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,491 members, 7,781,474 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:03 PM

Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). (11443 Views)

The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People / Obateru Akinrunta:The Richest King In Nigeria.. The Olugbo Of Ugbo Kingdom, Hrm / Iwa Akwa Festival: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by nedu210(m): 1:58am On Sep 11, 2012
Aju festival (iwa akwa) is celebrated every three years between the age of 21 to 24 years and above in the the town of ugbo in awgu local government area of enugu state.
Aju festival is a festival where boys are initiated in to man hood and given the opportunity to make their contribution in social cultural and political affair of the community.
This festival which is celebrated every august starts about seven month before the festival week with NKATA EKWA, which gives every celebrant the opportunity to celebrate the with his age mates and family members.
In Nkata ekwa the celebrant sends an invitation massage to his IKWU and UMUADA with some kegs of palm wine and other things to inform them that he will be celebrating Iwa ekwa.
After the NKATA EKWA which every member of the new age grade must have celebrated in their individual home, it will be time for the festival proper.

In the first day of the festival, all the UMU EKWA will assemble in their individual village square to entertain the villager and their guest with IZO EKWA which will be done in group.
After the group performance, each celebrant will come out in the village square to dance and do some agana, in the process of agana and dance, friend, relation and well wishers present their gift of akwa money and other things to the celebrant.
After the performance from each celebrant, it will be time for their successor to come and give their EGBE EKWA.
Their succussor(ndi na enye egbe ekwa) will come to the village square with their EGBE NTA, release some bullet in the air and do some IZO EKWA to show their strenght before leaving.
The first day of the festival comes to an end with IZỌ EKWA from UMU EKWA.
Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by odumchi: 4:32am On Sep 11, 2012
The traditions of the Igbo are very interesting. Any pictures?

1 Like

Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by nedu210(m): 1:40pm On Sep 11, 2012
The second day of the festival is MGBAHE ISHI.
In mgbahe ishi which is in form of a carnival/parade, the umu ekwa will zọọ ekwe round the entire town making a stop in each village square to zọọ ekwa for them.
Before the parade which will be done simultaneously, the ugbo okpala people will release a certain number of gun shot to in form the rest of the village that they left/about to leave their village to meet their oyibo kin that lives miles away from them.
When the ugbo okpala get to oyibo, umu ekwa from oyibo will usher them into their village square OBODO IKE (its not always easy at this stage because ugbo okpala will want to show their strenght) when every thing is settled and the ugbo okpala are brought in to the village square, another gun shot will be released to inform the other villages that they have arrived, both the ugbonabọ and ngene ugbo will also release their to inform them that they got their massage, and izọ ekwa will start in their villages.
Simultaneously they will move to the next village for their performance untill they go round the town. Each village will wait in their village sqare to welcome their people and their final izọ akwa for that day which will mark the end o mgbahe ishi.
Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by nedu210(m): 1:45pm On Sep 11, 2012
odumchi: The traditions of the Igbo are very interesting. Any pictures?
Yes
Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by nedu210(m): 2:36pm On Sep 11, 2012
Three day after mgbahe ishi, the entire village, friends, well wisher, and guest will gather at the ORIO UGBO in ugbonabọ for the final IZỌ EKWA which is IGBA NA IZU.
Coupled with the izọ ekwa, there will be otheq entertainment for our guest and people, like

Akunaeche enyi ndi oyibo with their
adanma
shaba
police
otenkwu and
owa ọji.

Amala ubo ndi ugwu ede.

Okolobo ndi ugbonabọ.

Ogene umu oyibo and

Akunaeche enyi from other villages.

For more entertainment there are dances from our NJOMU (women).

We have the OYORIMA dance from njomu oyibo.

OPI IGWE from njomu ugbonabọ.

OTU CHINEDU and other.
Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by nedu210(m): 9:05pm On Sep 11, 2012
the first day of the festival. just got only this three pic frm oyibo and ugbonabor.

Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by nedu210(m): 11:48pm On Sep 11, 2012
the second day of the festival, ngbahe ishi ngene ugbo group

Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by nedu210(m): 11:53pm On Sep 11, 2012
ugbonbor

Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by nedu210(m): 12:14am On Sep 12, 2012
the last day

Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by nedu210(m): 12:29am On Sep 12, 2012
ugbo okpara and oyibo goin to orio

Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by nedu210(m): 12:51am On Sep 12, 2012
iwa akwa

Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by nedu210(m): 12:59am On Sep 12, 2012
more

Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by odumchi: 1:51am On Sep 12, 2012
Nice pictures, Nedu. cool

I'm guessing that you have just participated in your own Iwa Akwa, lol.

Anyway, do you guys have Ozo na Nze in your part of Enugu?
Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by nedu210(m): 2:27am On Sep 12, 2012
odumchi: Nice pictures, Nedu. cool

I'm guessing that you have just participated in your own Iwa Akwa, lol.

Anyway, do you guys have Ozo na Nze in your part of Enugu?

yes we hav nze and ozo in our place. And 4 ur guess, u may be right.
Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by nedu210(m): 8:04am On Sep 12, 2012
more picture of iwa akwa.

Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by nedu210(m): 10:12am On Sep 12, 2012
iwa akwa

Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by nedu210(m): 2:45pm On Sep 12, 2012
ngene ugbo performance in orio.

Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by Afam4eva(m): 2:48pm On Sep 12, 2012
I like the fact that our people are still interested in our festivals. But what i find annoying from the picture is that almost everyone there are wearing jeans and t shirt. Is that how much foreign culture has stained our own culture?

5 Likes

Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by nedu210(m): 5:05pm On Sep 12, 2012
afam4eva: I like the fact that our people are still interested in our festivals. But what i find annoying from the picture is that almost everyone there are wearing jeans and t shirt. Is that how much foreign culture has stained our own culture?
Lol, well that is how we see it.
But wait a minute, what could they have worn?
I hope u were not expecting them to just cover their unclothedness with cloth just like our forefather do?
Like iwa ọgọdọ.
Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by nedu210(m): 10:10am On Sep 16, 2012
ugbo okpala/oyibo performance

Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by nedu210(m): 10:16am On Sep 16, 2012
ugbo okpala/oyibo on aju day

Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by nedu210(m): 10:19am On Sep 16, 2012
umu akwa ugbo okpala/oyibo and their ogbu opu.

Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by nedu210(m): 10:39am On Sep 16, 2012
m

Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by Biggyd2: 1:18pm On Sep 18, 2012
VEry colorful. Nice.
Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by Nobody: 1:20pm On Sep 18, 2012
Where did this festival take place?
When I said ibos have no culture, my friend ndukwe thought I was lying.

What is this nonsense? Are they Africans? Ibo festival in jeans and t-shirts. I dey laugh!

2 Likes

Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by ak47mann(m): 1:22pm On Sep 18, 2012
beautiful cool cool
Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by Afam4eva(m): 1:24pm On Sep 18, 2012
kindabigg: Where did this festival take place?
When I said ibos have no culture, my friend ndukwe thought I was lying.

What is this nonsense? Are they Africans? Ibo festival in jeans and t-shirts. I dey laugh!
Pls correct the bolded...
Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by Antivirus92(m): 1:25pm On Sep 18, 2012
Our culture is our pride.
Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by Duxe(f): 1:33pm On Sep 18, 2012
nedu210:
Lol, well that is how we see it.
But wait a minute, what could they have worn?
I hope u were not expecting them to just cover their unclothedness with cloth just like our forefather do?
Like iwa ọgọdọ.

lmao!! But come 2 think of it..e 4 make brain na!cheesy. Nice pictures though..very colourful and am sure it must have been so much fun!!
Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by kenkruse: 1:43pm On Sep 18, 2012
No elders in this village? justSaying...
Re: Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA). by MajeOfficial: 1:50pm On Sep 18, 2012
Great pictures! thanks for sharing.
I love our tradition more than life it's self, so seeing things like this really make my morning! congradulations to the boys,
true sons of the soil!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yoruba Dialects / Health And Health Promotion Patterns Of The Igbo People / Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.