Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,871 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:21 AM

Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains (12694 Views)

Where To Buy Uk Used Laptop On Wholesales Level / . / Online Bargains Are Always The Best (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Nobody: 5:17am On Sep 11, 2012
On her twice-yearly visits to London from Nigeria, Victoria Appiah stocks up on everything she needs for the next six months. "I basically only do food shopping back home," she says, standing outside Marks & Spencer's flagship store in Marble Arch, central London. "It's not that you can't get these things in Lagos, but everything here is much more reasonably priced.

"If you want cheap products, Chinese-made have taken over in Nigeria, and you can't always vouch for quality."

[size=14pt]Thousands of Nigerians agree. Visitors from the west African nation are the UK's fourth biggest foreign spenders, ringing up an average £500 in each shop where they make purchases – four times what the average UK shopper spends.[/size]

Holidaying or visiting relatives abroad is increasingly open to millions of middle class Nigerians, with the number of visitors to the UK increasing by more than 50% to 142,000 a year in the decade ending 2011, according to the Office for National Statistics. In a country projected to become Africa's biggest economy next year, and the world's fifth most populous by 2050, businesses at home and abroad are cashing in. In Debenhams' Oxford Street branch, signs in Hausa, one of the official Nigerian languages in the country's largely impoverished north, direct shoppers to items on sale. This year, the shop said that Nigerian customers were its biggest overseas spenders.

Daily flights plying the lucrative route between Nigeria and the UK have ballooned in the last decade. British Airways permits almost double the normal baggage allowance for the six-hour haul.

In some cases, Nigerians are literally using their deeper pockets on sprees. Shola Obadeyu wore a heavy duffel coat while queueing in Heathrow for a flight back to her sweltering home city of Abuja. "I can save [airline] baggage space by putting small things like vest tops and underwear in the pockets," she said as she queued with other passengers, almost all struggling with bulging suitcases. Back in Abuja, Obadeyu sells wares bought in London "at prices that don't kill you".

Others are tapping the market. A mushrooming middle class snapped up 10m microwaves last year. Big name brands from Apple to Zara have sprung up to feed those aspirations.

The African-based discount supermarket giant Shoprite is pouring $205m into its current three outlets in Nigeria, while the US hypermarket Walmart sees scope for 50 outlets in the country.

On a recent trip back from Europe, Marie Claire Lienou lugged 50kg of frozen meat in a freezer bag back to Nigeria. "You can't compare [Shoprite's] prices here with their prices in Europe. For 10 steaks there I can buy two here. You just pay what you have to for the convenience and guarantees," she said, pushing a trolley laden with relative luxuries such as bagged salads.

"Nigeria is very crowded, traffic is terrible, fakes [wares] are everywhere. The only thing I'll buy from the market is fresh bulk vegetables, because there are no fake tomatoes," she added.

Being middle class in Nigeria isn't cheap. In a brightly lit KFC across the shopping centre, Taiwo Edun, an engineer, treated his girlfriend to crispy chicken and chips, a luxury beyond the reach of many at $20 (£13) a pop.

"I don't consider myself in the super-rich class, I'm not chartering flights for my friends to go on holiday like some Nigerians can. But I can come here maybe once a month," he said.

The widespread corruption and infrastructure woes that plague Nigeria – including daily power blackouts that are smoothed over by millions of generators – push up the costs of running businesses here, keeping most dependent on informal, market-style retail.

Abrupt plans to introduce a new 5,000 naira (£20) note worth five times the current highest bill have caused an outcry, with market sellers saying it would drive up prices.

On the back of one of the notes will be Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti, mother of the Afrobeat singer Fela Kuti. Ransome-Kuti made her name as an activist with a mass protest against policies that increased prices for market women.

Meanwhile, those who can afford it continue to see a better deal abroad. The country's central bank throws billions of dollars into propping up the naira at artificially high rates, hurting millions of local exporters and encouraging Nigeria's shopping exodus.

Indicating her clutch of M&S carrier bags, Appiah said it was her five-year-old grandson's favourite shop.

"As long as the weather is not too cold, Nigerians will be shopping in London," she said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/10/nigeria-shoppers-rival-russia-middle-east

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Nobody: 5:20am On Sep 11, 2012
ringing up an average £500 in each shop where they make purchases – four times what the average UK shopper spends.

^^^^Hmmmmm... I thought the country was poor - but the average Nigerian shopper in the UK spends 4 times what the average UK shoppers spends... You lot have got your priorities backward...Keep taking the money you should keep in your country outside, and expect "the hand of God" to turn your fortunes around.. undecided undecided

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by AjanleKoko: 6:03am On Sep 11, 2012
The story puts a ridiculous spin on a bunch of otherwise innocuous events. Oyinbo media sha embarassed

shymexx: On her twice-yearly visits to London from Nigeria, Victoria Appiah stocks up on everything she needs for the next six months. "I basically only do food shopping back home," she says, standing outside Marks & Spencer's flagship store in Marble Arch, central London. "It's not that you can't get these things in Lagos, but everything here is much more reasonably priced.

"If you want cheap products, Chinese-made have taken over in Nigeria, and you can't always vouch for quality."

Thousands of Nigerians agree.

One person's shopping habits are superimposed on millions of Nigerians.
I suppose they spoke to 'thousands of Nigerians' who 'agreed'? What crap. Imagine mentioning the words 'UK' and 'bargain' in the same sentence shocked

shymexx: On a recent trip back from Europe, Marie Claire Lienou lugged 50kg of frozen meat in a freezer bag back to Nigeria. "You can't compare [Shoprite's] prices here with their prices in Europe. For 10 steaks there I can buy two here. You just pay what you have to for the convenience and guarantees," she said, pushing a trolley laden with relative luxuries such as bagged salads.

Is that even a Nigerian name? Which Nigerian would buy frozen meat from Europe to bring to Nigeria?

shymexx: Being middle class in Nigeria isn't cheap. In a brightly lit KFC across the shopping centre, Taiwo Edun, an engineer, treated his girlfriend to crispy chicken and chips, a luxury beyond the reach of many at $20 (£13) a pop.

This by far is the dumbest. Some random Nigerian dude spends $20 at KFC in London, and that is news? There is KFC in Nigeria also.
Is it that there's nothing better for this half-assed reporter to write about? Jeez. angry

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Gbawe: 7:13am On Sep 11, 2012
shymexx:

^^^^Hmmmmm... I thought the country was poor - but the average Nigerian shopper in the UK spends 4 times what the average UK shoppers spends... You lot have got your priorities backward...Keep taking the money you should keep in your country outside, and expect "the hand of God" to turn your fortunes around.. undecided undecided

Shymexx, you are clearly intelligent but you need to refrain from being dishonest in an effort to prop up your various bias. You attempt here to insinuate that the average Nigerian spends 4 times what the average UK shopper spends when the article makes it obvious it is talking about Nigerian visitors probably in the UK specifically to spend.

We are highly and obsessively acquisition-driven in Africa because we produce nothing !!!! Many African immigrants living in the UK have ten fridge-freezers to store food while the average Briton has one fridge-freezer because he has been brought up to understand he can go to the shops routinely and conveniently to purchase more food items when he runs out !!!! No need to bulk buy, hoard food or clutter the kitchen with freezers when food will always be in the stores. The African has to think differently coming from a region where frivolous economic regulations means a food item may be scarce, unavailable or inordinately expensive for months !!!!

Nigerians saving money desperately and then coming to shop frenziedly in the UK does not prove anything other than the sad reality we have now accepted our position of being desperately reliant on others to supply us finished/cheaper goods while we myopically and indolently restrict ourselves to finding the money to afford these goods.

Visitors from the west African nation are the UK's fourth biggest foreign spenders, ringing up an average £500 in each shop where they make purchases – four times what the average UK shopper spends.

9 Likes

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Nobody: 8:36am On Sep 11, 2012
I completely agree with this article...My Mum comes here 3-4 times a year to shop and spend ridiculous money.
A lot of her friends do too.

I'm not debating whether its right or wrong....

But I know A LOT of Nigerians do it...

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by ifyalways(f): 8:45am On Sep 11, 2012
Appiah is a Ghanaian name @ OP.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by hardywaltz(m): 9:01am On Sep 11, 2012
ifyalways: Appiah is a Ghanaian name @ OP.
Tot I was d only one who noticed.
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by LongOne1(m): 11:02am On Sep 11, 2012
Gbawe: We are highly and obsessively acquisition-driven in Africa because we produce nothing !!!! Many African immigrants living in the UK have ten fridge-freezers to store food while the average Briton has one fridge-freezer because he has been brought up to understand he can go to the shops routinely and conveniently to purchase more food items when he runs out !!!!

I don’t think it’s just the African immigrants that are ‘obsessively acquisition-driven’; some black Britons are guilty of this. My flatmate is a good example, as he usually fills up the fridge and freezer with stuff, leaving me very little room.
Though he has African ancestry, two of his generations have lived in the UK, or are you saying it’s a trait passed on? I am beginning to wonder if it is a ‘black’ thing.

@ Topic, shows you the business potential Africa has. Anyone interested in franchising?
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Gbawe: 11:24am On Sep 11, 2012
Long One:

I don’t think it’s just the African immigrants that are ‘obsessively acquisition-driven’; some black Britons are guilty of this. My flatmate is a good example, as he usually fills up the fridge and freezer with stuff, leaving me very little room.
Though he has African ancestry, two of his generations have lived in the UK, or are you saying it’s a trait passed on? I am beginning to wonder if it is a ‘black’ thing.

@ Topic, shows you the business potential Africa has. Anyone interested in franchising?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin I feel for you bruv. On a serious note, you have a point about "traits passed on". A lot of Africans gain certain habits directly from their parents even when in non-African societies. That is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, I think an African grounding could help more kids avoid societal traps when older.

Nonetheless, folks should make a conscious effort to reject certain unhelpful habits of their parent by learning evolutionarily better habits more useful for the society they have to exist in. There is no need to store six months worth of meat in several freezers. Britons don't have it so bad at home they need to stockpile cash only to go on a frenzied shopping spree in other parts of the world. Everything Britons require is generally available at a relatively competitive price within the Country. I am sure no Briton does what is written below:

On a recent trip back from Europe, Marie Claire Lienou lugged 50kg of frozen meat in a freezer bag back to Nigeria. "You can't compare [Shoprite's] prices here with their prices in Europe. For 10 steaks there I can buy two here.

My brother, on the franchising thing, I feel you ojare. I am a very big fan of African businessmen and entrepreneurs delivering value for the continent with proactive, considerate and expansive trading practices. If you have it in mind, consider it seriously because your financial and mental rewards may be immense.
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Nobody: 12:02pm On Sep 11, 2012
ifyalways: Appiah is a Ghanaian name @ OP.

So? Nigerians don't get married to Ghanaians, no?

And didn't she say this:
"It's not that you can't get these things in Lagos, but everything here is much more reasonably priced.

Anyway, if you have got a problem with the article, contact The Guardian UK.. undecided undecided
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Nobody: 12:08pm On Sep 11, 2012
Gbawe:
Shymexx, you are clearly intelligent but you need to refrain from being dishonest in an effort to prop up your various bias. You attempt here to insinuate that the average Nigerian spends 4 times what the average UK shopper spends when the article makes it obvious it is talking about Nigerian visitors probably in the UK specifically to spend.

We are highly and obsessively acquisition-driven in Africa because we produce nothing !!!! Many African immigrants living in the UK have ten fridge-freezers to store food while the average Briton has one fridge-freezer because he has been brought up to understand he can go to the shops routinely and conveniently to purchase more food items when he runs out !!!! No need to bulk buy, hoard food or clutter the kitchen with freezers when food will always be in the stores. The African has to think differently coming from a region where frivolous economic regulations means a food item may be scarce, unavailable or inordinately expensive for months !!!!

Nigerians saving money desperately and then coming to shop frenziedly in the UK does not prove anything other than the sad reality we have now accepted our position of being desperately reliant on others to supply us finished/cheaper goods while we myopically and indolently restrict ourselves to finding the money to afford these goods.

I understand where you're coming from, but my point is; why do they have spend that much just to shop in the UK - when they can get the same thing in Nigeria? Thus, keeping the money in the Nigerian economy... If you put the money they would spend to obtain the visa, flight tickets, accommodation etc... into consideration, is it really worth it??

I think most of them just do it out of ignorance and the "look cool" factor(inferiority complex) - just to show off that they 'shopped' in London... But either way, it's hurting the Nigerian economy, that was my point..
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Nobody: 12:09pm On Sep 11, 2012
Jheeeez!!!

I didn't write the article and I don't work for The Guardian UK..
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by coogar: 12:17pm On Sep 11, 2012
shymexx:

I understand where you're coming from, but my point is; why do they have spend that much just to shop in the UK - when they can get the same thing in Nigeria? Thus, keeping the money in the Nigerian economy... If you put the money they would spend to obtain the visa, flight tickets, accommodation etc... into consideration, is it really worth it??

it's worth it for the people who want quality! it's far cheaper to get in the uk than paying a cut-throat price in nigeria. besides too many fake products in the nigerian market is a turn-off!

I think most of them just do it out of ignorance and the "look cool" factor(inferiority complex) - just to show off that they 'shopped' in London... But either way, it's hurting the Nigerian economy, that was my point..

of course, it hurts the nigerian economy but that blame lies with the nigerian government! the political instability and the lack of basic amenities mean big megastores are running a huge overhead costs and it's the nigerian consumer that bears the brunt!
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Gbawe: 12:28pm On Sep 11, 2012
shymexx:

My brother, in this regard, I see your point totally. Go to Harrods and Selfridges during the sales and you may be forgiven for thinking you are in down town Lagos. Nigerians love the "one way trafick" pattern of shopping. If TM Lewin shirt comes into fashion, it is inflexibly what every Nigerian want's to come to London to stock up on.
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by solomon111(m): 12:30pm On Sep 11, 2012
Useless Nigerians.
They will keep on blaming the govt,yet the little they have is spent outside the country.
If you like destroy the only real country you have,you are the one to suffer racism, deportation,and second class citizenship in any fake country you think you are.
Wetin consign me?!
Na una sabi.
Mscheww!!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Gbawe: 12:33pm On Sep 11, 2012
coogar:

it's worth it for the people who want quality! it's far cheaper to get in the uk than paying a cut-throat price in nigeria. besides too many fake products in the nigerian market is a turn-off!

I think this is part of the point Shymmex makes. Why can't our local businessmen, entrepreneurs, SME's and manufacturer innovatively rise to the challenge of strengthening the Nigerian economy by producing quality at home so that Nigerian money does not go outside the Nation chasing that quality? I totally agree with him in that regard because I have always wondered same myself. Why not simply learn to do things to World class standards even if you are in Africa? It is not an impossible or unrealistic concept.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Nobody: 12:35pm On Sep 11, 2012
coogar:

If you calculate the total cost of shopping in London(with the visa fee, flight ticket, and accommodation), isn't it far more expensive than the "cut-throat" price in Nigeria?? And aren't those shops also in Nigeria?
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Nobody: 12:36pm On Sep 11, 2012
Gbawe:
My brother, in this regard, I see your point totally. Go to Harrods and Selfridges during the sales and you may be forgiven for thinking you are in down town Lagos. Nigerians love the "one way trafick" pattern of shopping. If TM Lewin shirt comes into fashion, it is inflexibly what every Nigerian want's to come to London to stock up on.

Thanks... That's what I was trying to say.
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by coogar: 12:36pm On Sep 11, 2012
Gbawe:

I think this is part of the point Shymmex makes. Why can't our local businessmen, entrepreneurs, SME's and manufacturer innovatively rise to the challenge of strengthening the Nigerian economy by producing quality at home so that Nigerian money does not go outside chasing that quality? I totally agree with him in that regard because I have always wondered same myself. Why not simply learn to do things to World class standards? It is not an impossible or unrealistic concept.

it is not possible to deliver world class standards in nigeria. the cost of producing one item of world class product is not within the reach of 98% of the nigerian population and the other 2% can't be bothered as well! nigerians tailor their products to meet the spending power of the majority! a country where the average spend is $2 - what do you expect the local manufacturers to churn out?
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by solomon111(m): 12:37pm On Sep 11, 2012
shymexx:

If you calculate the total cost of shopping in London(with the visa fee, flight ticket, and accommodation), isn't it far more expensive than the "cut-throat" price in Nigeria?? And aren't those shops also in Nigeria?
my brother,i tire o.
There is something fundamentally wrong with us.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by LongOne1(m): 1:09pm On Sep 11, 2012
coogar:

it is not possible to deliver world class standards in nigeria. the cost of producing one item of world class product is not within the reach of 98% of the nigerian population and the other 2% can't be bothered as well! nigerians tailor their products to meet the spending power of the majority! a country where the average spend is $2 - what do you expect the local manufacturers to churn out?

I disagree with this; labour is supposed to be cheaper in the BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India and China) economies, which is why most manufacturing is outsourced to these Countries.
Are you saying these almajiris/agberos can’t be taught craftsmanship and paid a decent wage?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by LongOne1(m): 1:13pm On Sep 11, 2012
Gbawe:
My brother, on the franchising thing, I feel you ojare. I am a very big fan of African businessmen and entrepreneurs delivering value for the continent with proactive, considerate and expansive trading practices. If you have it in mind, consider it seriously because your financial and mental rewards may be immense.

I am seriously considering it. The capital is a whole other issue, lol.
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Gbawe: 1:13pm On Sep 11, 2012
coogar:

It is in my opinion. I am not talking everyone, everywhere producing high quality products/service. I am talking of those with the finance, and they are many, not cutting corner or compromising to produce goods of the quality that would make Nigerians shun foreign offers. For example, when interlock machinery is required to finish off a shirt nicely, some Nigerian tailor may ignore this stage because they are not bothered about absolute quality even if they can easily afford an interlocking machine.

Small things like that show we can do things better but have become a people far too happy to cut corners and not particularly bothered about excelling, doing anything very well or to the highest standard.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Nobody: 1:31pm On Sep 11, 2012
Gbawe:

That is really profound and thought-provoking...

But when they come to African on tours...they hardly spend that much.
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by coogar: 1:33pm On Sep 11, 2012
Long One:
I disagree with this; labour is supposed to be cheaper in the BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India and China) economies, which is why most manufacturing is outsourced to these Countries.
Are you saying these almajiris/agberos can’t be taught craftsmanship and paid a decent wage?

i am not talking labour cost - i am talking about other overheads. power supply, transport and security! to operate a functional business in nigeria, you need about 4 lordmart generating sets, your own borehole, your own security, etc - you are more or less your own local government - these costs are codedly added to the cost price you see on the shelves thus making things super expensive in nigeria!

Gbawe:
It is in my opinion. I am not talking everyone, everywhere producing high quality products/service. I am talking of those with the finance, and they are many, not cutting corner or compromising to produce goods of the quality that would make Nigerians shun foreign offers. For example, when interlock machinery is required to finish off a shirt nicely, some Nigerian tailor may ignore this stage because they are not bothered about absolute quality even if they can easily afford an interlocking machine.

nigerians are the masters at maximising profits - the littlest of effort to cop the highest price they can manage to squeeze out from the consumers. there's no market control! if fuel price increases tonight - a tin of milk @ 100 naira would become 500 naira instantly - never mind the fact that those tins of milk have been in the shops since january! the government gets the lion share of the blame - provide light 24/7 and things would become far cheaper!

Small things like that show we can do things better but have become a people far too happy to cut corners and not particularly bothered about excelling, doing anything very well or to the highest standard.

cutting corners = cutting costs!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Nobody: 1:41pm On Sep 11, 2012
shymexx:

Exactly my sentiment.

I have a neighbor, she squeezed herself to go to London, now she is secretly sending my wife to me to loan her some money to pay for her daughter's school fees of less than 150k. Obviously am never going to do that for her.

To many people in Nigeria with mis-placed priorities.
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by coogar: 1:45pm On Sep 11, 2012
ilugunboy:

Exactly my sentiment.

I have a neighbor, she squeezed herself to go to London, now she is secretly sending my wife to me to loan her some money to pay for her daughter's school fees of less than 150k. Obviously am never going to do that for her.

To many people in Nigeria with mis-placed priorities.

don't be a sourpuss - loan her the money!

shymexx:

visa fee = £50, ticket = £500 or less, accommodation is free!
these people buy in bulk for themselves and others, there's variety if they travel and so on and so forth! nigerians are smart - if you think they are not making massive profits from these frequent trips then you know little about business!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Gbawe: 1:47pm On Sep 11, 2012
Long One:

I am seriously considering it. The capital is a whole other issue, lol.

Guy, I feel you sha. Nigeria is a brutal place to raise capital. Purely every man for himself in that place. This is an aspect of economic development Government should look at much more i.e assisting SME's with start up funds, training etc. The rewards for the economy would be immense ala employment, income through tax collection, foreign exchange (for those exporting) etc.
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Nobody: 2:23pm On Sep 11, 2012
coogar:

don't be a sourpuss - loan her the money!

I hear you!.... grin grin. You will give me school fees for my own two kids next week? grin
Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by LongOne1(m): 3:19pm On Sep 11, 2012
coogar: i am not talking labour cost - i am talking about other overheads. power supply, transport and security! to operate a functional business in nigeria, you need about 4 lordmart generating sets, your own boehole, your own security, etc - you are more or less your own local government - these costs are codedly added to the cost price you see on the shelves thus making things super expensive in nigeria!

Fair point, still how do these foreign businesses thrive in Nigeria? The costs you mentioned, apart from power supply and security, can be compared to businesses in the west.
Jonathan has promised December 2012 for power. Even at that, the hourly costs of using a generating set, after working out depreciation, servicing and factoring in resale values, would still be lower than the tax+wage difference of operating the same company in the west. (I believe its still £5.80 minimum wage/hr, who pays hourly in Naija and how many companies pay that high a tax?)

As for security, if the likes of Shoprite, MTN, Park n shop, the Tesco like supermarket in Apo Abuja, and the South African supermarket in Ceddi Plaza Abuja could survive, what are you saying? Bottom-line, there is something in Nigeria these foreigners see despite all our obvious shortcomings, that Nigerians don’t see.

Gbawe: Guy, I feel you sha. Nigeria is a brutal place to raise capital. Purely every man for himself in that place. This is an aspect of economic development Government should look at much more i.e assisting SME's with start up funds, training etc. The rewards for the economy would be immense ala employment, income through tax collection, foreign exchange (for those exporting) etc.

Well, all one can do is to hope and wait till a time when the policy or economic framework supports SME’s as you said, alternatively aligns oneself with politicians like some Nigerian million/billionaires . And of course, avoid ‘glass half empty’ comments from nairalanders such as Coogar, lol.

After all, hard working, patriotic people made the west what it is today, so I see no reason why Nigerians shouldn’t strive to better their Country – and of course make money in the process.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by stagger: 3:43pm On Sep 11, 2012
Junk journalism at its ultimate worst. I have lived (not visited) in St.Germain in France and Sheffield in England with my wife. I do not see what is so special that someone will decide to go to UK to buy things and be complaining that fake goods have taken over Nigerian markets.

Where do these journalists get their info from? And how is Appiah a Nigerian name?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Flock To Buy UK Bargains by Nobody: 3:44pm On Sep 11, 2012
Being middle class in Nigeria isn't cheap. In a brightly lit KFC across the shopping centre, Taiwo Edun, an engineer, treated his girlfriend to crispy chicken and chips, a luxury beyond the reach of many at $20 (£13) a pop.
LOL is fried chicken and chips considered a treat by Nigerians?Junk

Nigeria is very crowded, traffic is terrible, fakes [wares] are everywhere. The only thing I'll buy from the market is fresh bulk vegetables, because there are no fake tomatoes," she added.
Why do Nigerians always badmouth Nigeria outside her shores.its like saying your mother is a lazy and ugly w.hre who doesn't cook

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Naira To Weaken Further As Dollar Demand Increases / Is It Possible For A Salary Earner Or Unemployed To Work From Home In Nigeria? / Meet 10 Silent Nigerian Billionaires You Probably Didn’t Know About

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.