Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,878 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:02 AM

What Is I Bless God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is I Bless God? (6502 Views)

Can A Man Bless God ? / Can Man Bless God, Considering His Omnipotency? / Is It Right To Say BLESS GOD? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is I Bless God? by emmykk(m): 7:19am On Sep 12, 2012
I have always hear my brother say bless God-in reply to inquirying of his life ön phone or during face to face talk,and chances are u have heard such comment.
Thank God,would have b be better.how can i bless God
Re: What Is I Bless God? by PastorKun(m): 10:03am On Sep 12, 2012
The term 'I bless God' is just pentecostal jargon. It is not possible for a man to bless God. At best you can praise or thank him. The verse below puts it in better perspective.

Hebrews 7:7
7 But without any dispute the less is blessed of the greater.

Except you are claiming to be greater than God, you can't possibly bless God.

1 Like

Re: What Is I Bless God? by ichuka(m): 11:54am On Sep 12, 2012
Pslm34:1,i will bless the Lord at all times.:His praise shall continually be in my mouth.
Pslm68:26,bless ye God in the congregations,,even the Lord,from the fountain of Israel.
Pslm103:1.bless the Lord,O my soul and all that is within me,bless His holy name.
@OP there's nothing wrong with the statement.

1 Like

Re: What Is I Bless God? by PastorKun(m): 12:08pm On Sep 12, 2012
i.chuka:
Pslm34:1,i will bless the Lord at all times.:His praise shall continually be in my mouth.
Pslm68:26,bless ye God in the congregations,,even the Lord,from the fountain of Israel.
Pslm103:1.bless the Lord,O my soul and all that is within me,bless His holy name.
@OP there's nothing wrong with the statement.

The word bless was used in the above scriptures based on poor translation in KJV and other old translations. The ideal word that should have been used is 'praise' the lord which you would find in more accurate translations. A man cannot possibly bless God. Shikena.

1 Like

Re: What Is I Bless God? by cescky(m): 12:14pm On Sep 12, 2012
based on my understanding you can bless God

bless God and thank God (in Biblical context) is one and the same

You are an off shoot or offspring of God, so u are a god, but u occupy a container called your body.so u give ur heavenly father joy, by thanks giving or blessing His Holy NAME,imagine when ur younger ones or child shows u sincere appreciation or thanks for a gift they underservarable got from u...get?

dispensation of grace/gratitude/thanks giving/love/blessing/ all one and the same
Re: What Is I Bless God? by Joagbaje(m): 6:26am On Sep 15, 2012
Pastor Kun: The term 'I bless God' is just pentecostal jargon. It is not possible for a man to bless God. At best you can praise or thank him. The verse below puts it in better perspective.

It's play on words . Blessing God simply means " blessed be his name" it's not Pentecostal jargon.
Re: What Is I Bless God? by LordReed(m): 1:11pm On Sep 15, 2012
Pastor Kun:

The word bless was used in the above scriptures based on poor translation in KJV and other old translations. The ideal word that should have been used is 'praise' the lord which you would find in more accurate translations. A man cannot possibly bless God. Shikena.

Great so what is the argument about? Is God unintelligent that He cannot distinguish between the meanings despite my usage?
Re: What Is I Bless God? by plaetton: 1:44pm On Sep 15, 2012
cescky: based on my understanding you can bless God

bless God and thank God (in Biblical context) is one and the same

You are an off shoot or offspring of God, so u are a god, but u occupy a container called your body.so u give ur heavenly father joy, by thanks giving or blessing His Holy NAME,imagine when ur younger ones or child shows u sincere appreciation or thanks for a gift they underservarable got from u...get?

dispensation of grace/gratitude/thanks giving/love/blessing/ all one and the same

If a man can bless god, it means that either the word bless means something other than what we think it means or god means something other than what we think.
If mortals have the power to bless god, we should also have the power curse god and make it stick.
Re: What Is I Bless God? by plaetton: 1:47pm On Sep 15, 2012
Pentecostals do a lot of damage to the english language with their warped name-it-claim-it theology.
Re: What Is I Bless God? by LordReed(m): 2:04pm On Sep 15, 2012
plaetton: Pentecostals do a lot of damage to the english language with their warped name-it-claim-it theology.

How does name-it-claim-it damage the english language? Does it do it any more than pidgin does?

BTW men have been cursing God from the beginning of time and they still do, doesn't mean witchcraft type curses though.
Re: What Is I Bless God? by plaetton: 2:29pm On Sep 15, 2012
I mean in the way they use words out of contexts.
I have heard a lot of funny words from them. words like spiritual breakthrough, impartation, the list is endless.

I have , on several occasions, heard my neighbor shouting in prayer, 'god I command you to do this and do that', and I shake my head.
Re: What Is I Bless God? by LordReed(m): 3:01pm On Sep 15, 2012
plaetton: I mean in the way they use words out of contexts.
I have heard a lot of funny words from them. words like spiritual breakthrough, impartation, the list is endless.

I have , on several occasions, heard my neighbor shouting in prayer, 'god I command you to do this and do that', and I shake my head.

"God I command you..."? Hmmm the person was obviously praying amiss.

As for language out of context maybe true.
Re: What Is I Bless God? by Callotti: 5:32pm On Sep 15, 2012
This post has been hidden

Mu he he he he he he

Na who hide my post? cheesy
Re: What Is I Bless God? by emmykk(m): 5:46pm On Sep 15, 2012
Well i showed my brother your comments and he has started using thank God instead-his previous reply of i bless God disturb me alot.am a catholic:thank you guys/ladies
Re: What Is I Bless God? by PastorKun(m): 7:17pm On Sep 15, 2012
plaetton:

Command god ke? This is a new low The extent to which the christian religion is being bastardised in Nigeria is really scary.
Re: What Is I Bless God? by tpia5: 7:55pm On Sep 15, 2012
and what's the big deal about the statement?

must people "open mouth" at everything?

better take it easy before yall turn neurotic and jumping at every shadow.

you never heard it before and you heard it now- waka pass!!!!
Re: What Is I Bless God? by cescky(m): 9:13pm On Sep 15, 2012
plaetton:

If a man can bless god, it means that either the word bless means something other than what we think it means or god means something other than what we think.
If mortals have the power to bless god, we should also have the power curse god and make it stick.

God is more than our limited brains can fanthom,yes we can bless God,meaning thanking him, because the human race has been blinded by the things we see, we take note of the things we see not, though they be more powerful ,like love, gratitude etc
remember His will for Adam and mankind was to visit, occasionally and fellowship with man ............
man is not his body, his body is a container man is a spirit
Re: What Is I Bless God? by emmykk(m): 3:00am On Sep 16, 2012
cescky:

God is more than our limited brains can fanthom,yes we can bless God,meaning thanking him, because the human race has been blinded by the things we see, we take note of the things we see not, though they be more powerful ,like love, gratitude etc
remember His will for Adam and mankind was to visit, occasionally and fellowship with man ............
man is not his body, his body is a container man is a spirit
blessing some1 means u r too loaded so u help others,as seen in isaac to jacob,God to abraham etc always from the higher to the lower.when u say thank God as u mention above to mean blessing even a pagan will understand.
Re: What Is I Bless God? by EazyJ(f): 4:25pm On Sep 16, 2012
I bless God could also mean 'I praise God' or' I thank God.'It is used interchangeably and I dnt see anytin wrong wit dat.
Re: What Is I Bless God? by dicksonohm(m): 8:12am On Dec 30, 2020
I'm sure you're Nigerian, English is not your mother tongue. So don't argue Englishl language usage with the owners of English language. "Bleseed be the name of the Lord" is in the Bible, Don Moen sang it.
These are people that English is their mother tongue

PastorKun:
The term 'I bless God' is just pentecostal jargon. It is not possible for a man to bless God. At best you can praise or thank him. The verse below puts it in better perspective.

Re: What Is I Bless God? by dicksonohm(m): 8:16am On Dec 30, 2020
Pele, Oyinbo. You're here correcting someone's language. Can a British man correct your language?

Go and study English language more.

PastorKun:

(1) (Reply)

Hell's Best Kept Secret / The Second Marriage Of Reverend Chris Okotie / Will You Denounce Your Faith At Gun Point?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.