Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,502 members, 7,808,852 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:57 PM

Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread (3645 Views)

Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great / Calling On All Screenwriters seeking int'l signup and General Writers seeking .. / Calling On All Script Writers!!!submit A Short Script For A Chance To Win N1m!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by mkmyers45(m): 12:47pm On Sep 12, 2012
For some reasons i could not put up the poll here: https://www.nairaland.com/1015826/calling-all-writers-contest-1

So the Poll and Entries will go Here
Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by beylinko(m): 4:06pm On Sep 12, 2012
I dnt understand
Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by Cuddlemii: 4:44pm On Sep 12, 2012
@mkmyers45,

I think there are some changes been done to the polls as its been impossible to create one in recent times.

But do not fret, improvise!
Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by Yujin(m): 8:59am On Sep 16, 2012
This is September's third week
Silence hear I from the bird's beak
Or is your word weak?
Just when we are at the peak.
Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by Cuddlemii: 5:21am On Sep 20, 2012
What is happening to this contest?
What is the reason for the delay?
Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by mkmyers45(m): 12:02pm On Sep 24, 2012
Rules:

- Only one vote per user

- Please multiple id voting is disallowed

- Number of like will be averaged with judges votes
Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by mkmyers45(m): 12:06pm On Sep 24, 2012
Entry 1:

music playing in my ears
#even though i walk through the valley
and the shadow of death.....#

I guess your mama told you or would have warned you not to be a cultist or to be careful of the companies you keep, my problem is that i use to wonder why? But now i think i know why, because if there are two bullets lodged in your chest, another in your bowels making it "very very" easy for you to see your innards without pain, without stress, i think you should know why too.
Earlier this minute i was comfortably seated between Joe and Wale at this same bar listening to my headphones playing wyclef's diallo while they drank on, i don’t drink, i merely enjoy the company and this is just about all i could recollect now as i lay motionless on the bare floor, dying maybe, but funningly i feel like laughing about it all. About my sisters face that keeps popping up in front of mine talking in my father's voice singing lullaby to me?
It had all happened too fast, too fast for me to grab my own weapon tucked in my trousers under my shirt, the first instant i had thought the sound came from my earpiece not until i saw joe literally flying low in the air his arms flaying till he landed in a very unusual and unnatural position a few meters from where he initially sat beside us... Us?
I came back to my senses and looked around to see that the room is fast emptying and to notice that Wale is now scurrying through the open window... Damn! i had been carried away with the music, i have been caught unawares, i am trapped and now i could see the shooter right in front of me, he looked at me, then smile, probably at my folly then something heavy hit my ribcages.
I was shot, i couldn’t remember how many times now cause the gunshots sounds keeps replaying in my head, but i know that am been pinned down now on the floor as if something heavier than me is sitting on me as i watch the shooter walk away rather majestically.
My breathing now comes in hiccups, i could still hear the music from my headphones only that the gunshots sounds had become part of it and only one scene keeps coming in my memory, the day me and Joe were initiated at the public cemetery during Papa's regime some four years ago, we were drunk and high on weed. They took us there blindfolded, all dressed in black. Till now i really couldn’t remember all that went down there, but i knew the purpose of been there was to invoke some dead and evil but benevolent spirits that would come guide us and live with us as long as we remain members of this fraternity, and wale's words that day too keep coming now to my hearing once again, he had said ' may you not stumble, if you stumble may you not fall, and if you fall may you not die'.
Now i fell from gunshots and i think am going to die very soon, but where are my guardian spirits? or had it all been lies? I am suppose to be invincible! No this can’t be happening, is it?
Could this be vengeance? I remember shooting some guys in this same fashion too during my "Trial" period, is this a revenge?
I know i wouldn’t have all the answers to my questions because i can feel my feet becoming cold hastily, blood seeping out my nostrils and my thinking slowly but steadily becoming blurry. I could still hear things though and i could see some faces about me now, i think they are trying to help me, i feel lightweight like am been carried or my soul is about leaving my body, i cant say, its like they keep asking me questions that i cant quite decipher because the music still in my ear has become somewhat louder and the only words i can make out now amidst the replaying gunshots are...
# lick a shot for diallo diallo#.

6 Likes

Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by mkmyers45(m): 12:07pm On Sep 24, 2012
Entry 2:

Aargh, aargh, hmmm, is this my end?
Is it really my end?
In the pool of my own blood!
Somebody help me
Somebody help me
Who sent these men?
Who have I wronged?
Or are they just armed robbers?
What becomes of the millions in my bank accounts?
And the business partners I owe?
Oh! What a world.
Somebody help me
My wife, my lovely wife
Always radiant with smiles signed with dimples
Making me long to be around
Those bright eyes that keep me spell bound
Shall I gaze upon her pretty visage again?
Who shall warm her bed?
And commend her tasty delicacies?
Oh my Chy, here lie I in my red
Certain of these uncertainties.
My brilliant kids now fatherless!
Will they become rudderless?
All the plans and promises
Projects and projections
My Ada: shall I from your love drink
The content of the keg of his intent?
My sons: Engineers in the making.
You've made me proud; do more in my absence.
Urgh! My soul, where art thou headed?
That fiery cesspit or the blissful paradise

But my deeds, my deeds: No more time to cast the dice
Oh God, have mercy on me.

Chy = Wife's name
Ada = First daughter

1 Like

Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by mkmyers45(m): 12:08pm On Sep 24, 2012
Entry 3:

Have often heard it said that the brave never dies. Strangely though can't seem to remember where i heard it from perhaps i unwittingly created the phrase myself to spur me on in my quest for "immortality".

for starters,let me make two things clear:

1. i am not dead yet,at least not technically

2. i will soon be dead,technically

i have often heard,and this time i didnt unwittingly create the phrase,that your life flashes before you as death approaches.i remember seeing such a scenario in that wacky Ben Affleck movie about a blind dude beating the crap out of some dumb fools.i remember childishly hoping the flashing thing would happen to me so i could finally be able to understand why i dont know the day i was born or why my mother died either before or after i was born.it seemed strange to me that poppa(thats what we called my grandpa) used to wish me happy birthday on different days in november of every year.by the time i was supposedly 11years,i finally got to know that mama died so i could live,papa was drunk with his friends,and poppa was the only living being that witnessed my birth. Poppa says it was 2days before his weekly trip to purchase materials for his store hence my "happy birthday" always came on the third Thursday in November irrespective of the date. after poppa
died,i settled for november 19 and thus it remained.

wait a minute,i am supposed to be on my way to technical death and my life isnt flashing.the only thing i can think of is ismaila and why the heck should i be having flashes of my favourite cobbler?how pathetic does that even sound?here i am on my way to eternal bliss or torment and instead of my life flashing on a big screen while i sit alone in the theater with a jar of popcorn and probably a bottle of la casera(preferably the new apple flavour which i wasnt opportuned to drink when i was technically alive) all i can think of ismaila with his severely disfigured face grinning widely when saying "kai shege oga.thank me bery much por eberytin" whenever i tell him to keep the change.

there has to be something wrong with the entire death-flash-eternity sequence.i should be seeing pretty girls,big guns,my hommies on the streets,big mike and his ugly wife(seriously,ugly is an understatement),popppa at his sewing machine or in the garage or at the store selling everything on credit,lots of money,so many gl........i think its starting.
i can see my mama(dont ask how i know its her) on the floor of the garage and there's this big woman peering into the middle of her legs(you dont expect me to say the words V-A-G-I-N-A in the same sentence describing me Ma).the woman is apparently under the illusion that screaming works with me.she should ask my 3 ex-wives.she screams away and finally i acknowledge her with my head(damn,my head was massive.now i understand why brother dele always called me edmondo when i was little).here i emerge slowly from the middle of me Ma's legs and then.......why is everything turning white?who the heck is this dude approaching me(not the baby me you moro.n,the technically dying me).he looks like angel peter or probably angel mary(i know i should have attended church more often.but there has to be an angel with those names.would be weird if they all bear the name "angel"wink.no matter what this dude says,i a'int going nowhere till i finish flashing.i need to
understand why i am technically dead when i was simply tryna do some good.i need to unde...........oh noooooooooooo

1 Like

Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by mkmyers45(m): 12:08pm On Sep 24, 2012
Entry 4:

In my own pool of blood I lay

Pondering, why with this was I paid?

A gunshot in my thigh, missing my phallus slightly

Lucky chap, I burst into heavy laughter, taking it lightly

All my life I watched flicks & read lots of stories

Of people who die in many ways so gruesome & gory

It’s funny, for today & this minute I write mine

In strings of thoughts, endless, bursting through my mind

I am littered like rubbish on this gravel road, alone

My eyes scouring the skies; I am perplexed with flashes of home

Pictures of loved ones flickering up in my head

Always I hoped when I die they’d surround my death bed

But that is one lost wish among many

What happens now to my dreams, I didn’t fulfill any

Hot tears roll down my ears as I think of my father

I didn’t build him that house, Oh! My lovely little brother

The bond we shared, Oh! My sweet loving mother

My backbone, my strength, now my heart shatters

For I will never get to see her nor my sisters whom

Have been my everything until now I’ve met my doom

And my woman, I will miss her softness, her moans

Wrath of Dionysus befall any man who beds her after I am gone

A million and one days and nights we lavished in each other’s arm, in bed

That I did not put a little boy and girl (like me) into her I solely regret

Slowly it blurs & darkens, all I see is pitch blackness and many stars

And my life in retro, playing for my view, speeding past like fast cars

So this is how life ends (smiling), death is vile, it has no mercy

This my own end, after a life of vanity, did I live a legacy?

I guess shall not be able to tell now, for I am headed home

Either By Abraham’s side, to Hades or Abbadon, its still unknown

1 Like

Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by mkmyers45(m): 12:09pm On Sep 24, 2012
Entry 5:

He was the last to leave the office and everywhere was quiet. He was surprised seeing the parking lots so empty except for two vehicles belongings to the company. Gently, he pulled out of the parking lot as he engaged the car into reverse. On getting to the gate, he slowed down as the security officer came over to check his boot.

“Goodbye Mr. James. See you on Monday!” he said as he closed the boot and weaved him off. The car responded with eager anticipation as he left the vicinity of the company.

Few seconds later, he was on the road on his way home. “It is good to be free “he thought as he gently massaged the back of his neck. He sighed as he felt relief surged through his muscles. He had been on the desk all day dispatching mails and writing memos to various organizations and business partners reminding them of the imminent conference. His company which specializes in production of microchips, computer wares and other ICT products would be hosting all other countries around the world so he had to ensure all preparations were in top notch.

He barely settled in the comfort of his Honda car when his phone rang, it was his wife.
“Honey, where are you? Have you left the office?” her sweet voice echoed from the other end of the line.
“Hey dear, I will soon get home. I’m in Ikoyi” he responded with his right hand holding the phone and the other hand steadily holding the steering wheel.
“You better be or your favourite food will get cold” she continued.

Experience had thought him his wife meant two things by saying ‘favourite food’. He began to salivate at the thought of Amala and vegetable soup laced with smoked meat and fish and then the welcoming warmth of her arms and bed.

“I bet no one will want to miss out on that. I’m on 190 right now so keep it all warm for me” he replied, maintaining the tempo of their conversation.
“I’ll do just that, see you later Honey!” she said has she hanged up.

A smile played on his face as he reminiscence on how he could have amount to nothing if not for the support he received from his wife. They had married when things were not looking too good but through her constant encouragements and God’s help, they had weather the storms together. A man would never know the importance of having a loving wife to retire to at home until you are away at work. Not that they don’t have their down moments but understanding had made them know their weakness and differences should be their binding force.

The tickling sound of the clock on his dashboard jotted him back to life; it was 7:46 pm. He suddenly became uncomfortable with the silence in the car. He reached for his car tape as he fumbled helplessly with the stereo’s buttons. After tuning severally to some stations with nothing of interest, he settled for Beats 99.9 FM. Fela’s song came blasting through his speaker. He could not help but smiled as he sang along the familiar lines of the song. Though they are no more in the military era, the song brought back memories of pains, corruptions, dictatorship, and assassination associated with the era. What made these songs unique is that they are still relevant in the so called ‘democracy ‘era. The only difference between them is just a change of name and uniform.

Corruption has gone high tech, infrastructures are in degenerated state, social amenities are in total disarray, decaying moral value of youth, armed robbery and kidnapping, assassination, are all becoming the order of the day due to total negligence by the parents who are also the Government. Although things look bleak for the country at the moment, he is not a student in the School of thought that believes things cannot change for the better. Though it may take time, like the Israelites, they will get to the promise land… “Slow and steady they say wins the race.”

Enough of such thought for today. Concentrating on the road before him, he switched to the fast lane on the expressway. Suddenly the weather changed without warning as rain began to drizzle on his windscreen. “Soon I will get home” he thought. He was forced to reduce his car speed because of the slippery asphalt as his speedometer reads 60km/hr.

Boom! He heard from behind as his car shook. Looking behind him through the rear mirror he saw a blue Peugeot car coming towards him. Instinctively, he swerved to the other lane.

Boom! Pooh!!Pooh!!! He heard in succession as the blue car ran past him and skidded off the road. It hit the terrace separating their lane from the other lanes and came to an abrupt halt. A Honda power-bike with two assailants came along through his rear with both occupants wearing masks and one of them waggling a gun. They rode to the damaged car at the front, the occupant at the back alighted to inspect their prey. Like a hunter who just caught a game, he started shooting in the air as they left the scene of their crime taking an adjourning road.

James could not believe all these just happened right before his eyes. His fingers began to hurt; he never realized he had clenched the steering wheel with both hands in shock. Other road users must have been in a state of shock themselves because of the quietness that ensued afterwards. Slowly, he realized someone was hurt and hurriedly, he left the comfort of his car and dashed to the damaged vehicle.

The interior of the car was dark, he could barely see anything. Running, he went back to his vehicle to fetch his rechargeable touch. His presence must have been the thunderbolt that woke the others from the grave; they began to troop out of their vehicles in one and in twos.

Flashing the touch light to the driver’s seat, he saw a man wearing a blue suit. He stretched his hands towards the door handle but it wouldn’t open. He tried jerking it severally with no result.

” We have to force it off its hinges or it won’t budge.”

“Rotimi come and collect the touch” a man spoke from the back with a tick Yoruba accent. In response to his command a boy came over to him and collected the touch from his hands.

“1, 2 …go” they dragged the door open and it gave way in their hands.

“Somebody please call for the ambulance. I think he is alive!” Rotimi screamed as he sighted the pulsating fingers of the man.

The people that could not watch the wreckage gradually regained their confidence as they moved toward the car at the sound of the good news. James and the other man looked at each other on sighting the man under the wreaked car. The whole place was in a mess: blood everywhere, shattered metals, broken glasses, burning wires. The whole place smelled death—felt death. A bullet hole was visible at the back of his chest close to the right shoulder.

“I doubt if he’s going to survive this”

“Let us get him to the hospital fast.” the man said echoing James thought.

“Where are the ambulance and the dammed policemen” a man screamed in anger.

“You will never see them when you needed them most” another person chipped-in in frustration.

The other two passenger’s doors were also forced opened from outside. Two other men came in to assist them. James placing his hand on the man’s neck and searching for the pulse, the body felt uneasily cold. He saw the pulse after searching endlessly for few seconds, it was faint and he was speedily losing blood. If they want to do anything to save this man, they must be fast about it and they must act now! Gently and steadily they carried the dying man into a waiting car through the back door.

Two other men joined them as they left for the hospital. The silence in the car was nothing short of a graveyard, the sight of death had made them realized the importance of life.

“Cooh, cooh…. cooh” the dying man began to cough with Blood oozing out of his nose and mouth.

“Easy, easy you will be okay “James responded holding his hands in assurance.

Few metres ahead, a hospital came into view. The car didn’t stop before the two guys in the front seat bolted out of the door.

“Nurse, Nurse… Doctor!!! Somebody help “they both shouted in unison.

“I don’t wan…tt to--to dieee”

“Help…me” he continued with a laboured breathing. Removing his left hand from James hold, he reached for his pocket and brought out something very tiny. Placing it in on his chest he managed in a muffed voice “Moyo…” as he began to jerk violently. Smiles light up his face like someone who just won gold in the Olympics and suddenly, he became still.

Shortly, the contingent that went looking for rescue arrived with a doctor and two nurses. They lifted him to a stretcher and off they went as the doctor confirmed him dead.

James could not believe a man’s life has just ended. He was talking to the same man few seconds ago and poom, he is no more —yet his life remains shrouded in mysteries. The only form of identification found on this man was the picture of a girl not more than 12 years old.

“Oh my goodness”

” he also left a chip.” remembering the chip he gave him when he was dying. His hands started shaking as he frantically searched for it in his pocket. Afraid of what he would discover, he started moving towards a secluded area. His discovery came staring him in the face as he brought it out. It was MYXlO 3, a microchip not more than a SIM card in size. It has the capability of storing data up to 200 GIG.

What on earth was he doing with this sensitive and scarce piece of invention? Is this the reason this man was killed? And that golden smile, what was he happy to die for? These are the question he needed answers to, but unfortunately, no one was there to give him the answers.

Another thing James never knew was, the moment he took the microchip from him, his life and destiny took a new turn. The moment the mystery man died a new James was born.

“Excuse me sir! Are you the person that brought the accident victim?” a nurse tapped him from behind.

“Yes… I am” he replied.

“Someone is looking for you”………………………..

9 Likes

Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by Nobody: 8:39pm On Sep 24, 2012
That all? Thought they were 30?
Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by beylinko(m): 2:08am On Sep 25, 2012
At last! I pray this thread attracts d required attention needed. Too long bt not 2 late.
Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by illicit(m): 8:03am On Sep 25, 2012
at last
Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by illicit(m): 9:33am On Sep 25, 2012
can we critisize constructively?
Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by Delafruita(m): 2:22am On Sep 26, 2012
this should be on the frontpage
Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by sino(m): 12:27pm On Sep 26, 2012
^yeah, front page o!!!

@mkmyers45 good, i like the fact that the names of the writers are not displayed...
Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by vescucci(m): 12:55pm On Sep 26, 2012
Cool. I like
Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by beylinko(m): 3:03am On Oct 09, 2012
@Cuddlemi, please do sometin abt this thread. It is barely breathing.
Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by Jamesmelbin(m): 2:41pm On Oct 09, 2012
Nice thread
Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by mrkels(m): 4:39pm On Oct 15, 2012
Entry 6

SEUN: My name is seun and I am from Otta

10,000+ Likes cheesy
Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by Orikinla(m): 4:52pm On Oct 15, 2012
Interesting.
Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by Nobody: 7:01pm On Oct 15, 2012
mkmyers45: For some reasons i could not put up the poll here: <a href="https://www.nairaland.com/1015826/calling-all-writers-contest-1">HERE</a>

So the Poll and Entries will go Here
Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by Nobody: 11:22pm On Oct 15, 2012
You dream
Of stars
And the world at your feet

Having tasted pain
You build walls around your heart
And learnt the way of the world

Love finds you in pain
And stayed,watching you turn in your sleep
From the weight of the nightmares that ail you

You awake
And finding succour
Take refuge for a season

Just till
You became strong enough
And betrayed as the world taught you to

You fly far away
Leaving a broken heart
And broken dreams

When will you see
That you are miserable
And life has escaped you

When will you know
That you have believed lies
And built your life on them

When will you remember
How innocent you once were
The child you once were

You have murdered sleep
And sown the wind
You have broken hearts

They may all find you
The children you bore
In several hearts far and near

Illegitimate
For you fled
Before It was time

And still I wish you
Fair weather on your voyage
And mending to your heart.

www.thetravelerpoems.
Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by timpaker(m): 10:49am On Oct 16, 2012
POWER PEN

Ink from my pen-
a venomous sting...
murderer of thoughts on paper.
Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by beylinko(m): 7:40pm On Oct 30, 2012
WHAT'S NEXT? I DON'T WANT TO BELIEVE THIS IS A WASTE OF TIME.
Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by Nobody: 8:09am On Oct 31, 2012
Better believe it, it's a huge fuckin' waste o' time
Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by EfemenaXY: 10:23am On Oct 31, 2012
So which was the winning entry then?
Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by Foxybone(m): 11:15am On Oct 31, 2012
Wow shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread by Cuddlemii: 3:30pm On Nov 12, 2012
I think you guys should locate the op on the science/technology section.
You will find him there because he moderates the section.
Thanks!

(1) (Reply)

Welcome To My Street / The Hills Of Emure: My Nysc Camp Story / This Diwali, Avoid Crackers, Say No To Pollution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.