Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,360 members, 7,800,724 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:40 AM

Tithe Calculation Please! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithe Calculation Please! (1233 Views)

Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! / Do I Need To Pay Tithe Form My Gamble Wins? / Wow! Check This Amazing Calculation About Your Age And Surahs 114. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tithe Calculation Please! by Donmeca(m): 4:42pm On Sep 12, 2012
Hi, I know that tithe is 10% of one's earnings. For a business person, tithing implies taking one part out of ten of your profit (not revenue). This implies that the businessman takes out the cost of his goods or services, takes out his his transportation and office rent. He then proceeds to pay 10% of the remainder to the God as tithe.

My problem is in calculating tithe for the salaried worker. Many a man pay 10% of their net salary (gross less taxes and pension deductions). But I think this may not be the true case. I feel there is a cost to that salary like transportation. I know I may be wrong and that is why I feel like asking for explanation.
Re: Tithe Calculation Please! by mkmyers45(m): 5:10pm On Sep 12, 2012
Is it a must to pay?
Re: Tithe Calculation Please! by Donmeca(m): 5:15pm On Sep 12, 2012
^^^ yes, it is! Mal 3:10
Re: Tithe Calculation Please! by mkmyers45(m): 5:23pm On Sep 12, 2012
Donmeca: ^^^ yes, it is! Mal 3:10
Its not a must..god asked for meat in his house..why dont you tithe with a pure heart to the needy?
Re: Tithe Calculation Please! by denitro(m): 5:34pm On Sep 12, 2012
Donmeca: Hi, I know that tithe is 10% of one's earnings.

tithing is not 10% of your earnings, it is 10% of your increase
There is a BIG difference btw earnings and increase.
<< Deuteronomy 14:23 >>
You shall truly tithe all the increase of your seed, that the field brings forth year by year.

Sometimes people ask should I pay 10% of my net or gross..
It depends on what you want from the Lord: NET blessings or GROSS blessings.

I access myself in terms of worth at the beginning of the month
and then at the end of the month re-access myself and then pay 10% of my increase thankfully.
Re: Tithe Calculation Please! by Donmeca(m): 5:36pm On Sep 12, 2012
@Mkmyers45 That's another angle to it my dear but even with that, we still need to visit d needy and put a smile on their faces. But I still want to to be clear on tithing and what a tithe truly is--10% of what exactly?
Re: Tithe Calculation Please! by Donmeca(m): 5:39pm On Sep 12, 2012
denitro:

tithing is not 10% of your earnings, it is 10% of your increase
There is a BIG difference btw earnings and increase.
<< Deuteronomy 14:23 >>
You shall truly tithe all the increase of your seed, that the field brings forth year by year.

Sometimes people ask should I pay 10% of my net or gross..
It depends on what you want from the Lord: NET blessings or GROSS blessings.

and then at the end of the month re-access myself and then pay 10% of my increase thankfully.

Thank you. . .but increase? As in growth, promotion, added value? Salary is relatively constant over a period. So what's d increase? Let's take salaries as a basis pls. Again, by earning, I meant an addition. After a biz transaction, ur earning is ur profit. . .not ur total inflow. It may still be d same or close to what u call increase. Thanks again
Re: Tithe Calculation Please! by petres007(m): 5:41pm On Sep 12, 2012
Donmeca: @Mkmyers45 That's another angle to it my dear but even with that, we still need to visit d needy and put a smile on their faces. But I still want to to be clear on tithing and what a tithe truly is--10% of what exactly?

Hello Donmeca,

The tithing issue has been discussed over and over in this section. You might want to do a search for them and read through.

If you're in Lagos or will be on Saturday the 15th, you might want to join us for a discussion of the topic. See this thread - https://www.nairaland.com/1044221/invitation-bible-based-discussion-tithing-ordinance/

Cheers! wink
Re: Tithe Calculation Please! by Zikkyy(m): 8:14pm On Sep 12, 2012
Donmeca: Hi, I know that tithe is 10% of one's earnings. For a business person, tithing implies taking one part out of ten of your profit (not revenue). This implies that the businessman takes out the cost of his goods or services, takes out his his transportation and office rent. He then proceeds to pay 10% of the remainder to the God as tithe.

This is how you compute your tithe shocked is your pastor aware of this your pastor been denied his full entitlement angry God instructed the Israelite to tithe 10% of the gross farm produce. even if the farmland was leased, you cannot set aside some produce to cover lease cost, cost of hiring farm laborer, cost of purchasing donkey (transportation) e.t.c when computing 10% of the farm produce.

denitro:

na wa o! another tithe evader angry peeps just dey bring creativity into tithe computation! am aware our economy is in a bad state, but never knew it was this bad o! shocked so what happens if your worth decrease at the end of the month? you ask God for refund?
Re: Tithe Calculation Please! by Goshen360(m): 8:31pm On Sep 12, 2012
~mouth sealed~
Re: Tithe Calculation Please! by CrazyMan(m): 3:32am On Sep 13, 2012
Check this thread for better understanding about tithes.

https://www.nairaland.com/1046466/understanding-tithing
Re: Tithe Calculation Please! by PastorKun(m): 7:12am On Sep 13, 2012
Donmeca: Hi, I know that tithe is 10% of one's earnings. For a business person, tithing implies taking one part out of ten of your profit (not revenue). This implies that the businessman takes out the cost of his goods or services, takes out his his transportation and office rent. He then proceeds to pay 10% of the remainder to the God as tithe.

My problem is in calculating tithe for the salaried worker. Many a man pay 10% of their net salary (gross less taxes and pension deductions). But I think this may not be the true case. I feel there is a cost to that salary like transportation. I know I may be wrong and that is why I feel like asking for explanation.

In the first instance christians are not meant to tithe as it is an obsolete Jewish law in the old testament. Also the way tithe is defined today is unbiblical and at best fraudulent. You may wish to read deut 14:22-29 to have a better bible based understanding of tithes. After reading it feel free to ask your questions here.
Re: Tithe Calculation Please! by Donmeca(m): 9:27am On Sep 13, 2012
^^^ Deut 14:22-29 complicates things:

22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the Lord your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the Lord your God always. 24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the Lord your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the Lord will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the Lord your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.

28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

Hmm...
Re: Tithe Calculation Please! by Donmeca(m): 9:29am On Sep 13, 2012
Zikkyy:

This is how you compute your tithe shocked is your pastor aware of this your pastor been denied his full entitlement angry God instructed the Israelite to tithe 10% of the gross farm produce. even if the farmland was leased, you cannot set aside some produce to cover lease cost, cost of hiring farm laborer, cost of purchasing donkey (transportation) e.t.c when computing 10% of the farm produce.

na wa o! another tithe evader angry peeps just dey bring creativity into tithe computation! am aware our economy is in a bad state, but never knew it was this bad o! shocked so what happens if your worth decrease at the end of the month? you ask God for refund?

wud u please make verifiable points and stop throwing punches?

Re: Tithe Calculation Please! by Donmeca(m): 9:32am On Sep 13, 2012
CrazyMan: Check this thread for better understanding about tithes.

https://www.nairaland.com/1046466/understanding-tithing

Why not bring ur thoughts here since ur thread is quite new (later than this one) and in line with this?
Re: Tithe Calculation Please! by CrazyMan(m): 10:32am On Sep 13, 2012
Donmeca: Why not bring ur thoughts here since ur thread is quite new (later than this one) and in line with this?
Ok then...since you've read my thread, I believe you know where I stand on this.

Therefore I would suggest that you stop enriching your pastor...Jesus never asked us to pay 10% of our money to anyone. If you must make any contributions in God's house, let be for the less privilege, those who can't afford much.

Using your money to support the needy would attract God's blessings in your life. And believe me, its much better than paying it into the account of one man you call your pastor.

(1) (Reply)

MFM Rewards 77 First Class Students / Shocking All That Tithing Is Apparently Not Working . . . / Heralding The Lordship Of The Word, Demonstrating The Influence Of The Spirit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.