Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,390 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:22 AM

How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge (22727 Views)

Picture Of A Nairalander Cooking Yam Porridge / How To Cook Nigerian Unripe Plantain Porridge With Bushmeat And Fish (photos) / Unripe Plantain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by Nobody: 7:24pm On Sep 13, 2012
Okija_juju:

Is that what I'm having for dinner?!.. angry

And whose doing the cooking? angry
Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by LCDD: 7:48pm On Sep 13, 2012
Which native soup/dish do u want d recipe?
Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by stev200: 8:17pm On Sep 13, 2012
vislabraye: Frozen vegetable ?? I've never heard of it before. If you want to enjoy plantain pottage well, cook with dry fish.
Some people don't add vegetables, but I add because of nutritional value. You may also add snail to it. Ps I'm salivating.

Yes, you can find frozen vegetable in any supermarket that sells frozen foods,Ok.
Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by vislabraye(m): 8:25pm On Sep 13, 2012
Gabbysky: Kekefia on my mind, hmmmm yummy!!!
Thanks Toria, more plz cos I really want to update/upgrade my menu

You must be Ijaw. Some people do call it pulu fia.
Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by kavey10(m): 8:30pm On Sep 13, 2012
I still cant believe dis made frontpage! WTF is goin on?! Well, while u ar at it, I'll b ryt here 'soaking' ma solute in ma solvent wit sum tight chicken wings nd watch d mods nd u guyz make dis page last more dan 2 dayz on d frontpage. Unripe bleep, bleep, bleep...
Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by sashaa(f): 8:35pm On Sep 13, 2012
vislabraye: Frozen vegetable ?? I've never heard of it before. If you want to enjoy plantain pottage well, cook with dry fish.
Some people don't add vegetables.
now, thats my recipe cheesy
Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by Sugardiva(f): 8:35pm On Sep 13, 2012
Front page Like seriously? undecided
Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by sashaa(f): 8:46pm On Sep 13, 2012
wesley80: I love this dish and along with beans are two meals i can beat my chest about. Not to take anything away from OP, but i dont think justice was done to the meal.
Firstly, those onions and the first batch of ingredients should come in as soon as the plantain softens a bit, starting the onions with the plantain limits the desirable taste of the onion to the soup and not the plantain itself. The crayfish comes in last just before the palm oil. Try n see the difference
Secondly, the water level doesnt have to be so full, just enough to cover the contents would be fine. Finally, the key to the porridge is stirring when its ready. Just grab a spatula and stir till the soup becomes a fine thick paste - this is why i'd rather have some good dry fish in it than a fresh one, those reddish dried shrimps also go beautifully. I'll also do without the vegetables, i just see them as getting in the way of my good meal of iron - but thats just me.
it all depends on how u like it.
Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by tyum: 8:57pm On Sep 13, 2012
Nice one, will try it soon. But anyone has an idea on how to cook mushroom soup? Would luv to know
Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by thelastPope(m): 10:04pm On Sep 13, 2012
I beg to differ a bit from the @op instructions and ingredients. It sounds too foreign. Fresh titus for this menu is just not right. Dry fish is it. Onions should be used with discretion. Most local women don't like using onions because onions kills the real native flavour in foods. Onions is good though for its medicinal value. Cooking everything from the begining is not just right too. The key to good flavour and blend in cooking is the timing of the ingredients. Introducing the crayfish and pepper too early means the plantain will take longer to cook and the internals will not cook right. The crayfish and pepper will immediately form a kind of soup and not allow the water to cook the plantain right.

Another trick is to mix both ripe and unripe plantain. Or you can try yam and plantain. Avoid too much seasoning cubes. Use the native ogi where available or use a lot of crayfish. Or better still, grind bonga fish and add it with a little stock fish to flavour.

3 Likes

Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by JoanJohnson(f): 10:39pm On Sep 13, 2012
@ Poster, nice meal, but its more yummie with dry fish and enof vegetable. Sum men on NL tink we ladies can't cook, i dare any of you to try us especially me, u won't go back the same way you came. Am proudly an Akwaibomite and i knw wat am saying. Good food is good for you.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by 4reigningqueen: 10:52pm On Sep 13, 2012
^can i pay you a visit? Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzsad;(
Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by Ivynwa(f): 2:53am On Sep 14, 2012
toria12: How to Make Unripe Plantain Porridge

Ingredients

Unripe Plantain: 3 pieces
Pumpkin Leaves: a big bunch (or Frozen Spinach: 10 cubes)
Fish (Titus): 1 medium size
Ground Crayfish: 1-2 teaspoons
Onions: 2 medium sized bulbs
Red palm Oil: enough to colour the meal
Pepper and Salt: to taste
Seasoning: 2 big stock cubes

Poster in addition to all your ingredients I add diced fresh tomato, ahigbo (nchuanwu) leaf and ground dawadawa and spiced meat(not fresh fish).
The plantain has to be nicely diced too. The spice of the ahigbo and dawadawa makes it rich in taste, the tomato enriches it nutrition-wise too.
I like it, it's very rich in iron and normally prescribed for pregnant women.
Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by Blendy77(f): 3:39am On Sep 14, 2012
Scent leaves in place of pumpkin leaves gives it a better taste. And its usually prepared with dried or smoked fish not fresh fish, well try both at different times and you'll see the difference. Its called KKF in most Niger Delta states (kekefeyai, Ijaw) and its a special food prepared in some weddings and traditional marriages for those who want somethg different from the regular rice and swallow. I prepare it every chrismas morning while waiting for rice and chicken to get ready. Mixing it with ripe plantain gives it an entirely different taste so its not the same thing as using only unripe. Unripe only is the best.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by Seerer(f): 4:42am On Sep 14, 2012
wesley80: I love this dish and along with beans are two meals i can beat my chest about. Not to take anything away from OP, but i dont think justice was done to the meal.
Firstly, those onions and the first batch of ingredients should come in as soon as the plantain softens a bit, starting the onions with the plantain limits the desirable taste of the onion to the soup and not the plantain itself. The crayfish comes in last just before the palm oil. Try n see the difference
Secondly, the water level doesnt have to be so full, just enough to cover the contents would be fine. Finally, the key to the porridge is stirring when its ready. Just grab a spatula and stir till the soup becomes a fine thick paste - this is why i'd rather have some good dry fish in it than a fresh one, those reddish dried shrimps also go beautifully. I'll also do without the vegetables, i just see them as getting in the way of my good meal of iron - but thats just me.
exactly the way I cook mine, & I use veg oil, soya bean extract precisely, avoiding calories, cos am wacthing the weight.
Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by toria12(f): 5:19am On Sep 14, 2012
Ust it u will enjoy it I plz
Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by goofie: 8:43am On Sep 14, 2012
toria12: How to Make Unripe Plantain Porridge

Ingredients

Unripe Plantain: 3 pieces
Pumpkin Leaves: a big bunch (or Frozen Spinach: 10 cubes)
Fish (Titus): 1 medium size
Ground Crayfish: 1-2 teaspoons
Onions: 2 medium sized bulbs
Red palm Oil: enough to colour the meal
Pepper and Salt: to taste
Seasoning: 2 big stock cubes

u cn also use scent leaves instead of ugu.and it cld also be cooked by frying the onions and fresh peper lightly,adding dry fish and allow to steam for while.then add the plantain and spices and allow to cook 4 a while. very delicious. funny i made and took it to work dis week. wink

Before you cook Unripe Plantain Porridge

Wash, peel and cut up the plantain as shown. Wash and cut the pumpkin leaves into small pieces. If you will be using
frozen spinach
, allow to thaw just enough to let you cut them into tiny
pieces. Leave to thaw completely and squeeze out the extra water using a sieve.

Wash, cut and remove the fish intestines. Cut up the onions into tiny pieces. Grind the crayfish and pepper. Now you are ready to cook the unripe plantain porridge.

Cooking Directions

Put the cut plantain in a pot. Add the chopped onions, stock cubes, fish, ground crayfish and pepper.

Add water to the same level as the contents of the pot.

Cook till the contents start to boil. Add the red palm oil and salt to taste. Cover the pot and keep cooking till done. This is when the plantain is tender to touch.

Add the vegetables, cover the pot and leave to simmer.

Once it has heated up, stir, turn off the heat and leave to stand for at least five minutes before serving.

Serve with chilled soft drink or fruit juice.
Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by Nobody: 9:06am On Sep 14, 2012
this meal is also good for men ,it makes you last more longer in bed o..ask the Akwaibomites ladies dey will tell you more,,infact na u go go taya self
Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by malaria(f): 9:34am On Sep 14, 2012
Pls can someone teaching me hw 2 boil water. So seun has NW turned dis place 2 catering school.intersting.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by goofie: 10:00am On Sep 14, 2012
u cn also use scent leaves instead of ugu.and it cld also be cooked by frying the onions and fresh peper lightly,adding dry fish and allow to steam for while.then add the plantain and spices and allow to cook 4 a while. very delicious. funny i made and took it to work dis week. wink

1 Like

Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by malaria(f): 11:04am On Sep 14, 2012
Pls can someone teach me hw 2 boil water. So seun has NW turned dis place 2 catering school.intersting.
Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by Jukoh(m): 11:11am On Sep 14, 2012
To make this delicacy more tasty, skip using vegetable leave (Ugu Leave) and use Scent leave (efirin) instead with plenty onions, you will be craving for more of the meal. While cooking, make sure u boil your plantain till it cooks out before adding your ingredients, that brings out the sweetness in the unripe plantain. Goodluck guys.

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by Allwell(m): 8:27pm On Sep 14, 2012
This is good info for food lovers but honestly, I'd like to know the criteria for selecting posts to be on the front page or is this some trick by the mod to get the garri crew to make comments? .
Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by OmoAlata(f): 9:16pm On Sep 14, 2012
I've never had this food before. Is there a photo someone can upload please. Thanks.
Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by Konnektions146(m): 5:42am On Sep 15, 2012
Omo Alata: I've never had this food before. Is there a photo someone can upload please. Thanks.
it looks like Yam porridge but dis on is a little darker in colour and df diff in taste.
Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by WuzilistiQ(m): 6:28am On Sep 15, 2012
Its is a waste of 8-10kb if ur hating on this meal and the front page exposure....cause (1) you lack Iron (2.) your post will be hidden if you say those words related to a starch molding and drinking meal....lolzzz.......plantain porridge a meal to try i love it with perewinkles and dried fish. *licking my lips*
Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by toria12(f): 6:44am On Sep 15, 2012
he Nigerian Afang Soup, like the Edikang Ikong soup, is native to the Efiks, people of Akwa Ibom and Cross River states of Nigeria but enjoyed by all Nigerians. It is also very nutritious as the soup consists mainly of vegetables. Afang Soup is prepared with a generous quantity of Water leaves and the wild herbal Okazi leaves.

The Nigerian Afang Soup should not be confused with the Okazi Soup native to the people of Imo and Abia States of Nigeria. While Afang soup is prepared with basically vegetables, Okazi Soup is simply the Nigerian Egusi Soup cooked with thinly sliced Okazi leaves.

Ingredients for Afang Soup

Okazi leaves | 4 handfuls of sliced Okazi

Water leaves | 1kg or a big bunch

Palm oil | 30cl (about 1 small bottle of Coca Cola)

Periwinkle - 1 cup

Onions | 2 medium bulbs

Beef, Kanda and Dry fish

Pepper, Salt and Crayfish - to taste

Stock Cubes (Maggi or Knorr) | 3 cubes

Before you cook the Nigerian Afang Soup

Wash, drain and slice the water leaves into tiny pieces. Grind or pound the sliced Okazi leaves. In Nigerian markets, the sellers of these sliced Okazi leaves have a machine for grinding it. You can also grind it with your blender with a small quantity of water. Take a look at the ground Okazi leaves.

Grind your pepper and crayfish and cut the onions into tiny pieces.

Cooking Directions

Boil the beef and Kanda with the diced onions and stock cubes in a very small quantity of water. When done, add the dry fish and cook for about 5 more minutes.

Now add the palm oil, crayfish and pepper. Once it starts boiling, add the water leaves and periwinkle. When the water leaves have softened and the water has dried up a bit, add the okazi leaves, salt to taste and leave to simmer for about 5 minutes. The Afang soup is ready!

Serve with Garri (Eba), Semolina, Amala or Pounded Yam.
Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by Akposkool(m): 11:23am On Sep 15, 2012
A litle sugar and cashew wud do d trick.
Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by Enoquin(f): 7:38pm On Sep 19, 2012
thelastPope: I beg to differ a bit from the @op instructions and ingredients. It sounds too foreign. Fresh titus for this menu is just not right. Dry fish is it. Onions should be used with discretion. Most local women don't like using onions because onions kills the real native flavour in foods. Onions is good though for its medicinal value. Cooking everything from the begining is not just right too. The key to good flavour and blend in cooking is the timing of the ingredients. Introducing the crayfish and pepper too early means the plantain will take longer to cook and the internals will not cook right. The crayfish and pepper will immediately form a kind of soup and not allow the water to cook the plantain right.

Another trick is to mix both ripe and unripe plantain. Or you can try yam and plantain. Avoid too much seasoning cubes. Use the native ogi where available or use a lot of crayfish. Or better still, grind bonga fish and add it with a little stock fish to flavour.

You sir, are a damn good cook...This is exactly how I cook mine...infact for delicacies, I have started using scent leaf instead of vegetables...a sprinkle of scent leaf does wonders to a meal. I agree timing is everything in cooking...if one adds everything at once especially with plantain, there is the likelyhood of that food not cooking properly and/or getting burnt.

Cooking requires creativity...that's how I see it...one can eat unripe plantain with dried fish and scent leaf today and the next time decide to add yam and the next time add snail and periwinkle...

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by luchilite(f): 10:25am On Sep 28, 2012
to make my sweet i add one or two cube of sugar 2geda with salt depending on qty of unripe plantain and i also add scentleaf. 've fun
Re: How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge by latrust(f): 3:02pm On Dec 10, 2013
Nice

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ghanaian Jollof Smells Like Perfume - Nigerian Lady In Ghana / #MamadorBreakfastseries: Expert Nutritionists Give Some Healthy Breakfast Recipe / Ogun State Launches MITROS Rice (Photo, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.