Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,462 members, 7,770,147 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:51 AM

How to Prepare Pepper Soup - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How to Prepare Pepper Soup (51852 Views)

Would You Eat This Snake Pepper Soup? (Photo) / How To Prepare Egusi Soup - - The Ultimate Guide / How Can I Prepare Pepper Soup? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How to Prepare Pepper Soup by funmise(f): 3:08pm On Apr 12, 2006
Pls Is dere any lady in d house who can pls teach me hw 2 prepare pepper soup? My BF loves it so much but I dont no hw 2 prepare it. I'm feed up of going to Nigerian resturants to get it.
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by Rhodalyn(f): 3:10pm On Apr 12, 2006
what is pepper soup?
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by aloib(f): 3:32pm On Apr 12, 2006
ok depends , i only know how to cook the one with cat fish,
ingridients

fish or meat, or watever
grounded pepper, u know the dry grounded ones
raw pepper, i use rodo
ginger
garlic, cant cook without that
bay leaves
black pepper
white grounded pepper, optional
maggi or knor chicken, depends where u are they ave knor here so i use it
thyme,
salts depends on you, i dont use salt cos i would ave salted the fish immediatky after washing so i dont use salt
water duhh lol

ok u would ave washed the fish, 1st thing and salt it

cut the pepper into veryu small thin pieces, then start boiling the water with all the ingridients i n it except the fish, after the water is boiled and u can feel the aroma, (lol) u add the fish, last thing, then u wait for few minutes, dont let it be too long cos catfish if it bouls too much it starts breaking, make sure u put lots of pepper thats the main ingridient, hope this info is ok though,

enjoy,

1 Like

Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by funmise(f): 4:32pm On Apr 12, 2006
thank u vry much aloib I'm gonna try that.
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by queen2(f): 4:37pm On Apr 12, 2006
@Rhodalyn cheesy

Pepper Soup is a soup that doesn't have any more pepper than many other African soups. It is usually made with goat meat, but can also be made with beef, chicken, or mutton. There are many ways it can be seasoned.
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by queen2(f): 4:39pm On Apr 12, 2006
You can also try the goat meat one

two pounds goat meat,
lamb or mutton (beef for stew can also be used); cut into bite-sized pieces
one or two onions, quartered
two or three hot chile peppers, cleaned and chopped
peppersoup seasoning (see below)
four cups meat broth or stock
two tablespoons ground dried shrimp
one small bunch fresh mint leaves, chopped
one tablespoon fresh or dried utazi leaves (or bitterleaf) (see below)
salt and black pepper to taste

In a deep pot or dutch oven, combine meat, onions, chile peppers, and a cup of water. Bring to a boil and cook until meat is done, twenty to thirty minutes, adding water as necessary to keep pot from becoming dry.

Add peppersoup seasoning and the broth or stock (or water) and simmer over low heat for ten to twenty minutes.

Add the dried shrimp, mint leaves, and utazi leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer until soup is to be served
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by aloib(f): 4:43pm On Apr 12, 2006
ure welcome, queen nice one, and how are u, thanks for the comments and the fives hows ur sis
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by queen2(f): 4:45pm On Apr 12, 2006
She's fine grin
Ur welcome
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by Zahymaka(m): 4:47pm On Apr 12, 2006
I'm very bad at writing recipes but I know how to prepare the Yam one, as well as the goat meat one.

I'm sorry -- I wish I could think in terms of ingredients -- I just happen to know what quantities to use and have never measured them.

Goodluck with these recipes anyway and make sure you post us some!

By the way has any Nigerian thought of coming up with instant peppersoup -- like noodles? People here go rush am.
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by aloib(f): 4:50pm On Apr 12, 2006
Zahymaka:

I'm very bad at writing recipes but I know how to prepare the Yam one, as well as the goat meat one.

I'm sorry -- I wish I could think in terms of ingredients -- I just happen to know what quantities to use and have never measured them.

Goodluck with these recipes anyway and make sure you post us some!

By the way has any Nigerian thought of coming up with instant peppersoup -- like noodles? People here go rush am.

that yam one is mwah, i took it in one of my friens haus who is from delta

just use the water with the ingridients to boil the yam and add the fish wen its cooked
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by Zahymaka(m): 5:15pm On Apr 12, 2006
Hurray Deltans [I'm one] -- we make the best peppersoup in the world.
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by Rhodalyn(f): 5:17pm On Apr 12, 2006
queen2:

@Rhodalyn cheesy

Pepper Soup is a soup that doesn't have any more pepper than many other African soups. It is usually made with goat meat, but can also be made with beef, chicken, or mutton. There are many ways it can be seasoned.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheers queen cheesy cheesy cheesy wink
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by hotangel2(f): 9:55am On Apr 13, 2006
I used to love yam pepper soup. And i wanna eat it, aww mehn, Zah why u gotta do this to me.

Anyways i prepare pepper soup mostly when i or my dad have a running nose, it's easy, just pepper and soup! Whoaaa, u r done. lol

Okay, i dont know how to write it, but my dad says my pepper soup is good (duhh, he cant say it's bad).
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by Rhea(f): 10:59am On Apr 13, 2006
Rhodalyn,

Don't mind my asking, but how long (if ever) have you ever spent in Nigeria?
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by SHF(f): 11:49am On Apr 13, 2006
Zahymaka:

Hurray Deltans [I'm one] -- we make the best peppersoup in the world.

Come on now, that's a lie,

We make the best everything! grin grin grin grin
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by Zahymaka(m): 12:12pm On Apr 13, 2006
SHF where're you from?
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by SHF(f): 12:14pm On Apr 13, 2006
Warri, born and bred (well till I was 8 anyway)
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by Zahymaka(m): 12:24pm On Apr 13, 2006
Hmm. I'm from Kwale but I didn't grow up there.
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by Ladyflamez(f): 1:12pm On Apr 13, 2006
[size=8pt]SPICED CHICKEN PEPPERSOUP serve 6-8

Guinea Fowl or Turkey can also be used.

1.5kg/3Ib chicken (cut into pieces)

2 litres / 4pints water or stock

50g / 2oz chopped chillies

100g / 4oz pepper soup seasoning

50g / 2oz ground crayfish

50g / 2oz chopped mint

1 onion

1 clove garlic (crushed)

Wash the chicken pieces and place in a pot with some water chopped
onions chillies and crushed garlic. Season with salt and boil for 30
minutes. Add the peppersoup seasoning and the rest of the stock and
continue cooking for another 30 min utes until chicken is tender. Stir
in the crayfish and mint leaves stir and simmer for 10minutes. Season
to taste and serve hot in soup bowls.

shocked shocked shocked wink wink wink cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin wink smiley
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by Hunter(m): 1:18pm On Apr 13, 2006
Of the versions i've had I must say that I liked the chicken the most :-)
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by mmomi(f): 1:48pm On Apr 13, 2006
Hello,

There is no big deal in cooking any thing especially african dishes. It is just common sense, always add all the ingredients at once except vegetables which comes last.
Just go where Igbo women are selling food stuff,they will give you special seasoning for pepper soup.I don't really know their names, per boil the meat with small water and add all the seasoning, when the meat is done, add the scent leaves andm carry your pot down.
Food is ready ooooo!
Try it with white boiled yam or white rice.

1 Like

Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by maki(f): 2:25pm On Apr 13, 2006
Has anyone tried fresh fish pepper soup and white rice?
salt water fresh fish o, not fresh water fresh fish
it's like hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm grin
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by maki(f): 2:35pm On Apr 13, 2006
Has anyone tried fresh fish pepper soup and white rice?
salt water fresh fish o, not fresh water fresh fish
it's like hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  grin
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by ono(m): 4:14pm On Apr 13, 2006
SHF:

Warri, born and bred (well till I was 8 anyway)

Hey! SHF (Now, what in da worldz does that mean?), you Warri born n bred? whooosh!! Waffi babe, I hail o o o o o.

Just give them that kain pepper soup wey be say na for only Waffi you fit get am. Remember da solid Ukodo and correct goat meat or Ukodo with solid dry catfish. And that kain one wey be say you put palm oil nearby the Ukodo. Geez men, ha, make una come hold me before I go begin go wild with hunger!!!
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by Crownvilla(m): 8:12pm On Apr 13, 2006
I throway salute to all of una (Greetings to ya'll). Your recipes have got me all salivating.

I hope you guys don't mind me asking this question, but where is the best pepper soup joint that you know of in Nigeria?
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by Hunter(m): 11:23pm On Apr 13, 2006
I've had fish pepper soup, I didn't find it as nice
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by dearzi(f): 2:57am On Apr 14, 2006
@Maki
Darn!!! i ate it over the Christmas break when i came home, that thing is the bomb--y'all need to try it!
@ All the Deltans in the house--i salute o!! for the Urhobo people --"Urhobo wado!!!!!"
Abeg na who bin dey talk about ukodo? you wan make my head scatter!!!!! Ogwo dey always dey bam with yam, abeg, i go vex go African store go buy foodstuff, if na only banga i fit cook this Easter, with fish way i go fit afford, i still get one small starch for fridge--e be like im time don reach!
As for pepper soup--that's like the easiest soup to make, different tribes have different ways of making it. But for really good pepper soup you must have Efirin or Utazi--they add a special mint like flavor, i know the spices in my mother's tongue (roboje and tariko) i guess you can just go to the stores and ask for pepper soup spices--hopefully they know them, enough red (Naija) pepper, your choice of goat meat, lamb, fish or chicken. I always like to season my chicken and stuff before cooking (of course after they've been washed) season with some salt to taste, ginger and garlic, and some onion paste, if you've got any, and cook on low heat, so they can be properly marinated (add enough water so that the pot doesn't dry out) You can also add your Efirin or Utazi while your beef or whatever's cooking (i have dried efirin, so i add it early) when the beef/ chicken's becoming tender, add your spices, and leave all the ingredients to cook together for another 10-15mins, i like to leave the lead on the pot so that the flavors sit into what's been cooked. Talking about pepper soup's making me crave it now!
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by Zahymaka(m): 3:22am On Apr 14, 2006
dearzi can you please split your post into paragraphs -- it's very hard to read. Are you from Delta? If you are I say, welcome my sister.
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by dearzi(f): 3:33am On Apr 14, 2006
@ Zahymaka
Point duely noted, i'm half cast grin, my dad's Edo my mum's Urhobo, but it's the same Bendel when we go back to our roots,
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by Zahymaka(m): 3:38am On Apr 14, 2006
Yeah -- I guess.
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by Hunter(m): 6:57am On Apr 17, 2006
I made some the other day with chicken and it was quite good, I used potato and carrot in mine as well for extra taste

Though I didnt' have any chili on hand so I poured in some chilli powder till it got a red tinge to it and it was about as spicy as it would otherwise be (lets just say it made a 15c day feel like 35c)
Washed down with a nice cool bottle of beer it was superb cheesy
Re: How to Prepare Pepper Soup by Zahymaka(m): 1:37pm On Apr 17, 2006
Beer and pepersoup. Hmm -- I hate beer but drinking men say that combo is the bomb. Most of the peppersoup joints in Nigeria serve cold beer as well.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cook-a-thon: Man Offers Chef Damilola Two Weeks Cook Tour In US / Guinness World Record Holder, Chef Lata Reacts To Insults By Nigerians (Picture) / Five Reasons Why Eating From Fast Food Joints Is Not Advisable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.