Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,469 members, 7,808,687 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:23 PM

Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam (48823 Views)

Comparison Table Between Christianity, Islam And Judaism / Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? / Similarities Between Christianity And African Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by TayoD(m): 3:17pm On Apr 12, 2006
Differences And Similarities Between Christianity And Islam

I was just curious to know why some people generally regard the Christian God and the Islam Allah to be the one and same God. At the same time, a lot of people believe these are two different Beings.

What are the differences and similarities between the two greatest religion? Can they ever be harmonised? or are they two opposite ends of a continuum?

Now this is not to bring about acusations and counter-accusations, but I will like to see possibly, quotes from each book comparing the similarities and the differences.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by Nobody: 4:33pm On Apr 12, 2006
yeah, we are all the same. No difference at all!  undecided

Allah Says:
.” Qur’an 8:5 “Your Lord sent you from your homes to fight for the true cause.”Qur’an 8:7 “Allah wished to confirm the truth by His words: ‘Wipe the infidels out to the last.’”Qur’an 8:12 “I shall terrorize theinfidels. So wound their bodies and incapacitate them because they oppose Allahand His Apostle.

Qur’an 8:59 “The infidels should not think that they can get away from us. Prepare against them whatever arms and weaponry you can muster so that you may terrorize them. They are your enemy and Allah’s enemy.” Qur’an 8:71 “He will give you mastery over them.” Qur’an 8:39 “So, fight them till all opposition ends and the only religion is Islam.”

http://prophetofdoom.net/article.aspx?g=406&i=46007

Jesus Says:
Matthew 5:44:
44But I tell you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you

Luke 6:35
But love your enemies and be kind and do good so that someone derives benefit from them] and lend, expecting and hoping for nothing in return but considering nothing as lost and despairing of no one; and then your recompense (your reward) will be great (rich, strong, intense, and abundant), and you will be sons of the Most High, for He is kind and charitable and good to the ungrateful and the selfish and wicked.

2 Likes

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by babymine(f): 5:18pm On Apr 12, 2006
Hmmm, God help us! shocked
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by Softee(f): 10:34pm On Apr 15, 2006
davidylan:

yeah, we are all the same. No difference at all! undecided

Allah Says:
.” Qur’an 8:5 “Your Lord sent you from your homes to fight for the true cause.”Qur’an 8:7 “Allah wished to confirm the truth by His words: ‘Wipe the infidels out to the last.’”Qur’an 8:12 “I shall terrorize theinfidels. So wound their bodies and incapacitate them because they oppose Allahand His Apostle.

Qur’an 8:59 “The infidels should not think that they can get away from us. Prepare against them whatever arms and weaponry you can muster so that you may terrorize them. They are your enemy and Allah’s enemy.” Qur’an 8:71 “He will give you mastery over them.” Qur’an 8:39 “So, fight them till all opposition ends and the only religion is Islam.”

http://prophetofdoom.net/article.aspx?g=406&i=46007

Jesus Says:
Matthew 5:44:
44But I tell you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you

Luke 6:35
But love your enemies and be kind and do good so that someone derives benefit from them] and lend, expecting and hoping for nothing in return but considering nothing as lost and despairing of no one; and then your recompense (your reward) will be great (rich, strong, intense, and abundant), and you will be sons of the Most High, for He is kind and charitable and good to the ungrateful and the selfish and wicked.

The difference is huge and is very much so proven by this violent verse from the Koran and this loving verse from the Bible.

Praise Jesus all the way!!
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by ajia23(m): 10:44pm On May 15, 2006
When you quote verses from the Quran, you must understand that they have to be understood within the context of their history as described in the Hadiths. All those verses you quote were directed against the pagan Arabs that had carried unjustifiable acts of terrorism against a nascent and small group of muslim believers. Before it even got to that level, the Muslims persevered for more than 13 years, and even emigrated from Mecca to Medina because of this persecution. Even after this, they were still chased by those pagans, and so God authorised the use of force so the Muslims could defend themselves. The verses were not intended to mean a war against Christians at that time, and even special verses were revealed concerning the Jews that helped the Pagans meaning they were not aimed at the Jews either. It may interest you to know that the Christians from Ethiopia were actually friends to, and protectors of the Muslims when they were still a small group. Besides even Christians defend themselves if they have been pushed to the wall isn't it? Especially in defiance of the message of Christ which is turning the other side of their cheeks when they have been struck. And I know for sure that the crusades against Muslims in the 10th and 11th centuries were not supported by any biblical references.

To answer the question of whether the God of christianity, and that of Islam are one, well it's simple. Before Christians deviated to start worshipping Jesus (ASW), they worshipped One God. Just like the Jews before them, and like the Muslims do now. This is why these three religions are regarded as Monotheistic. However, I think classifying christianity as that now may not be appropriate as it is now polytheistic in nature. Even Judaism has some strains of polytheism, but some Jewish sect maintain it's montheistic nature.

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by Ajisafe: 11:04pm On May 15, 2006
Besides even Christians defend themselves if they have been pushed to the wall isn't it? Especially in defiance of the message of Christ which is turning the other side of their cheeks when they have been struck. And I know for sure that the crusades against Muslims in the 10th and 11th centuries were not supported by any biblical references.

These people are always with a hidden agenda; their "pastors and reverends" in Washington have set a bad precedence for all of them. Their modern day Richard "The Lion-Hearted," George Bush, is a messianic extremist who is waging a war of attrition against the Muslims. Is that part of the "good virtues" their so-called word of god teaches him, huh?
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by DaHitler(m): 11:05pm On May 15, 2006
Christianity is corrupt making it less of a threat.

Islam is pure and as such, it is extremely dangerous.

Other than that, they are both lies.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by Ajisafe: 11:16pm On May 15, 2006
Islam is pure,

Pure and unadulterated. That says it all.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by debosky(m): 11:21pm On May 15, 2006
pure, hmm

well, if the prophet Mohammed marrying and sleeping with a 9yr old girl is pure, then i agree islam is pure
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by DaHitler(m): 11:24pm On May 15, 2006
Dabosky, I meant pure in the sense that the religion has changed little in it's 1500 year existence.

I do not mean pure as in positive or negative. Simple, pure as in limited corruption that comes about as a result of adapting to other cultures or values.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by debosky(m): 11:26pm On May 15, 2006
point taken
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by Ajisafe: 11:32pm On May 15, 2006
pure, hmm

well, if  the prophet Muhammad marrying and sleeping with a 9yr old girl is pure, then i agree islam is pure

Just listen to this one again. I'm sorry for you people. Soon, they'll begin calling Seun to come and rescue them from Ajisafe.

@ Afeni,
Limit your shenanigans to the christians and others, please. Don't mess with Islam! Or, else!
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by debosky(m): 11:58pm On May 15, 2006
or else what? There you go making threats again. what i posted was the truth, it hurts I know.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by DaHitler(m): 12:09am On May 16, 2006
Ajisafe, I am saddened to hear that you a muslim.

And here I was thinking you were one of the enlightened.

However, I still cannot give your faith, or any other form of organized religion (Particularly Christianity and Islam because they are biggest) a free ride. grin
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by GL(f): 1:56am On May 16, 2006
I guess there are similarities - we are both monotheists, we share some views about God. But I think that's where it stops. I don't know much about other religions, but Christianity is different from ALL other religions because it is an exclusive religion. According to the bible, no one can reach God except through Jesus. Since other religions do not acknowledge that He is the Son of God, and indeed God, we can't be the same. This also accounts for some differences amongst "christian" groups. Some "christian" groups have other views of Jesus. Even though they claim to be christian, we are just NOT the same. Jesus Christ (the One Chrisitianity is based upon) made several statements to that effect.

John 5:23
That all men should honour the Son even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son, honoureth not the Father which hath sent Him.

John 8:42
Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.

John 14:6
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 10:1
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

John 10:7
Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.

John 10:9
I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

Other passages in the bible:

Acts 4:12
Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Ephes. 2:18
For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by TayoD(m): 2:34am On May 16, 2006
GL,

That is a great piece. I guess the "stumbling block" as mentioned in the Bible will always be Jesus Christ. While a lot of religion (including Christianity) believes in Monotheism, the concept of Jesus being God is something too big to swallow for others. If we understand that God Himself is the embodiment of humility, then maybe we will begin to understand how He could have humbled Himself to come in the form of a man.

While I believe that Islam do borrow a lot from Christianity and Judaism, I am unable to accept the arguments that Islam became necessary because the Bible was corrupted. While Mohammed was alive, he did say that Moslems and Christians serve the same God. That goes to show that if the Bible was indeed corrupted, it must have been after the days of Mohammed. So which portions of the Bible is true and which is false? Can they prodce the same Bible that Mohammed testified to as being right during his days? or will they pick and choose which poriton of the Bible fits their desires?

One major difference between the two religion is summarised as this: While Islam regards Jesus as a Prophet, Christianity regards Mohammed as a fraud and an accursed person according to Galatians 1:8 "But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed."

2 Likes

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by GL(f): 3:16am On May 16, 2006
TayoD,

I read a book about the origin of Islam. I can't remember all the details, but it said Muhammed's uncle was a christian. They were a sect that read only the book of James, which didn't talk much about Jesus but was more about works. The book of James set out to correct ppl who said they were christians but weren't acting it. Muhammed got some inspiration from there and that's why Islam is particular about works.

It's funny when they say the bible has been corrupted. I read somewhere that there are very ancient scrolls in the British Museum. In any event, those who say it has been corrupted should tell us the original contents.

They say the Koran refers to Jesus as a prophet and said that He never sinned. If they believe that He never sinned, unlike any other human being, why then do they consider Muhammend (who sinned) the greatest prophet?

2 Likes

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by Ajisafe: 10:59am On May 16, 2006
Just keep on crying, the two of you.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by mlksbaby(f): 1:33pm On May 16, 2006
I'm curious that almost all non-Christian religious systems that claim inspiration from the Bible have stressed the 'works' as a means to secure salvation. And they seemingly have followed the same pattern again and again.

# Mormonism (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, LDS) which claims to be the only Christian Church with Jesus' authority, stresses this matter of 'works' and sees 'grace' as holding a less significant place in the life of a believer. It is interesting also that Joseph Smith (founder of Mormonism) got his inspiration from the book of James (ch. 1:5). And as surely, Mormonism says that the Bible has been corrupted and only the 'inspired translation' of the KJV by Joseph Smith is accurate (it's amazing that they neither read nor adhere to the "Inspired Translation" of J. Smith themselves; as the Book of Mormon, the Doctrines and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price are their authority for doctrine and religious life).

# Islam is said to have derived its inspiration partly from some Christian influence, particularly the Christian sect known as the Ebionites, who insisted on works rather than grace, as they believed this was precisely what James was calling for in his epistle. Some of the 'works' they insisted on included observing the Sabbath, keeping kosher, and circumcising all males. Again, Islam believes that the Bible is/has been corrupted, and therefore the Qur'an was given for religious life.

It is significant to note that religions that accuse the Bible of having been corrupted do not take the effort to tell us what they believed was its original message. They stress 'works' instead of grace; salvation is something you can't know and have to wait for your fate, as there's no assurance; they may acknowledge their leader/founder actually sinned, but Jesus is not that important to them even though He lived a sinless life; and many more.

The bottom line is, whenever Jesus is set aside, the struggle begins. Grace and truth came by Jesus Christ (John 1:17), and setting Him aside in preference for another is like setting grace and truth aside, and that's why 'works' is mainly the result. Grace provides the assurance of salvation; works will produce needless sweat that guarantees no salvation.

3 Likes

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by ajia23(m): 4:00pm On May 16, 2006
I guess this argument could continue for ever. I will not however totally say I am right because I was not there when all the history started. But I ask God to direct us. Amen
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by luvamuslim(m): 5:23am On May 20, 2006
When you take a close and objective look at Islam , you discover that it is full of falsehood and shame. The modern Muslims accepted the religion without first taking a close look at it. Now they are faced with the delima of how to eaither live with the shame of being Muslims or humbly finding their way out of the religion.

A clear example of this shame is the Quranic promise that the Muslims will be given lots of virgins as wifves for their everlasting sexual enjoyment when they get to heaven.(Quran 3:15). I have met educated Muslims who still believe that God's reward to rightous poeple is specially created women is heaven for sex.

It is shameful that mordern Muslims are forced to believe this lie simply because the Quran makes this promise but if you really want to know how this promise found it's way into the Quran. I'll only be too glad to show you.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by GL(f): 1:28am On May 22, 2006
mlks_baby:

I'm curious that almost all non-Christian religious systems that claim inspiration from the Bible have stressed the 'works' as a means to secure salvation. And they seemingly have followed the same pattern again and again.

Yes, it's very different from Christianity, where you are guaranteed salvation as long as you believe in Jesus. Christianity doesn't depend on works, though becoming a christian is a life-changing process that shows forth in ur actions.

When ppl decide to ignore somethings in the bible, they are more prone to deception by the devil. Most of these religions came from christians who only read or focused on James, which mentioned Jesus only once in the introduction and was all about works. This doesn't make it bad, it was addressed to people who claimed to be christians but whose actions did not show it.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by mlksbaby(f): 11:09am On May 22, 2006
GL:

James, . . . was addressed to people who claimed to be christians but whose actions did not show it.

Spot on.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by nuru(m): 6:55pm On May 22, 2006
I want somebody to read Bible, Mark 12 vs 28, 29.

This is where you get what those who say they believe in Jesus should hold as the primary faith. It will be good to ask yourself how many of them do actually believe this assertion of Jesus Christ. Is it not that Jesus spoke the Truth and his supposed followers believe another thing.

This is the Truth that God sent Muhammad to come and redirect people of the world towards.

The religion that preaches and in which the brotherhood of mankind is demonstated is no other than Islam. It is the religion of Jesus, Moses, David, Solomon, Abraham and all the Prophets. That is why it is not Mohammedanism. It is the religion of Truth. VERY BEAUTIFUL. Appealing to your practical and spiritual sense.

Have you ever seen a greater gathering of mankind from the greatest number of towns and villages in the same spot at the same time, saying the same thing and doing common things together. Have you ever considered a path that ensures the king and the servant stand shoulder to shoulder several times in a day.

Have you ever consider a path that says you are not a believer until you love for your neighbor what you love for yourself and at the same time urge you to stand firm in face of tyranny and confront mischief headlong.

Have you ever wondered on the beautiful way the Quran is recited unadulterated for fourteen centuries. Don't you think you are missing something in your life by not clearly following Jesus and the Prophets. Look beyond you, look at the prophecies in the Quran being fulfilled in your age. Look at the benevolence of Muhammad, the greatest human being to ever walk the surface of the earth. A president, a Prophet, a family man , a businessman. a doctor, in fact every good attribute rolled into one.

Have you read the Quran before. Will you take up my challenge and discover for yourself the practical truth of existence and Fountain of Wisdom.

It is shame that in this age of information, some people would remain without approaching the Quran themselves but would rather harp on prejudice to discuss the truth of life.

Look, if you are reading this, you would not have any excuse on the day when you shall be brought forward to account for your deeds if you persist in ignorance of the Universal Truth.

The worship of One God and the brotherhood of mankind is incumbent on every soul. Do not say you are not warned.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by TayoD(m): 8:59pm On May 22, 2006
Nuru,

You have not even remotely said anything related to the topic of this thread. If you are planning to preach, please do so on a relevant forum. Quoting the Bible and preaching Islam makes you appear like a white man dancing to the tunes of fuji (absurd, right?!!!). Anyway, let's get back to the issue at hand. We are waiting.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by nuru(m): 7:10am On May 23, 2006
Thanks Tayod,
I got carried away with the natural beauty of Islam and how it fits perfectly into human existence when lived without pretension. Nothing to be ashamed of but to be taught with pride to the obstinates, and pity for those that fail to see the signs afterwards.

As to the topic, the first thing is to realize that Jesus was not a Christian. He is a teacher of One God to be worshiped with all sincerity. He is a teacher of love to your fellow being. Because these are the two principles that his teachings are based upon, he can be concluded to be a Muslim: someone who submits his will to only One God.

Since Christianity of today is not based on One God, then its adherents cannot be said to be following Jesus. Rather the Muslims are the real followers of Jesus.

So the main similarity of Islam and Christianity is the recognition of Jesus as an element above ordinary me and you. While the main difference is that Islam hold tenaciously to the fundamental teachings of Jesus while Christianity fails to do so.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by mlksbaby(f): 10:10am On May 23, 2006
@nuru,

nuru:

I want somebody to read Bible, Mark 12 vs 28, 29.
This is where you get what those who say they believe in Jesus should hold as the primary faith. It will be good to ask yourself how many of them do actually believe this assertion of Jesus Christ. Is it not that Jesus spoke the Truth and his supposed followers believe another thing.
This is the Truth that God sent Muhammad to come and redirect people of the world towards.

It's great to see you back after a long while. Let me make a few things clear to you. Some Muslims are in the habit of trying to quote Biblical texts to pursue some ideas that they can't sustain, and that's what you did earlier by quoting Mark 12 vs 28, 29. The whole tenor of the Bible is that there is one God, and indeed Jesus stated that unequivocally. Now if you agree that Jesus spoke the Truth in that verse, why is it so hard for you Muslims to believe the other statements He clearly stated in the Bible? I'll quote a few for you:

# Mark 2:28  Therefore the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath."

#  John 14:6 - Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Did you notice that in the same Mark that you quoted, Jesus referred to Himself as Lord? So, if you agree that Jesus spoke the truth in chapter 12: 28 & 29, would you also agree that He was speaking the truth in ch. 2:28? In other verses of the NT, you'll find that He clearly called Himself "Lord"; for example: "Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am." (John 13:13). So, Jesus was also telling truth and those of us who believe in Him 'do actually believe this assertion of Jesus Christ' as well. Muhammad never preached the truth that Jesus came to preach, otherwise he also would have called Jesus 'Lord'.

nuru:

The religion that preaches and in which the brotherhood of mankind is demonstated is no other than Islam. It is the religion of Jesus, Moses, David, Solomon, Abraham and all the Prophets. That is why it is not Mohammedanism. It is the religion of Truth. VERY BEAUTIFUL. Appealing to your practical and spiritual sense.

I'm surprised that you're trying to make blank statements that contradicts what everyone knows today. Please read your Qur'an very well again, and you'll see that Islam is not the religion of Jesus and the Biblical prophets. What happens when Christians and Muslims are on opposite ends of animosity? I'll give you some verses from the Bible and the Qur'an for comparison:

Matt. 5:44[/color] - "But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you"

AL-BAQARA 2:191[color=#550000]
- "And slay them wherever ye catch them, and turn them out from where they have Turned you out; for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter; but fight them not at the Sacred Mosque, unless they (first) fight you there; but if they fight you, slay them. Such is the reward of those who suppress faith."

The Bible asks Christians to love their enemies and persecutors; the Qur'an demands that Muslims kill them one and all. So, what religion of peace or "the brotherhood of mankind" is demonstrated in Islam? Please.

Until the heart of the Muslim knows the redemption offered by Christ and the transforming power of God's Spirit by faith, everything will remain cosmetic. Real love and peace begins on the inside and results in a changed life evidenced by a genuine concern for the welfare of other people, even in the face of tyranny. That is why Jesus endured the Cross, and warned that some would pretend to be His followers but do despicable things to other people; yet His true followers would be persecuted by those who actually think they are serving God by murdering people:

John 16:2 - "They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service."

Is that why the Qur'an delights in killing people, especially Jews and Christians, because they think that they're doing service to God, and by murdering innocent souls they would gain a place in paradise? There's no other way to understand this murderous intent than the lack of a change of heart: the heart is still blind to reason and peace.

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by TayoD(m): 2:07pm On May 23, 2006
Nuru,
Your denouncing of Christianity is totally contrary to the Qu'ran quoted below. Mohammed obviously thought here that Christianity is a product of God, and so Christians will be rewarded as serving God. The principle of the trinity has been around since the founding of Christianity, and you can never separate the religion from this teaching at any time in history. At the same time, what you need to understand is that Christianity teaches that this trinity is also ONE Being who is know as GOD.
See Surah 002.062 YUSUFALI: Those who believe (in the Qur'an), and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Christians and the Sabians,- any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by nuru(m): 2:21pm On May 23, 2006
I am happy that at least a Christian believes that Jesus taught men to believe in One GOD as the foundation of every salvation.

The disciples called Jesus Teacher. Let us agree he was also called Lord, did the disciples who witnessed his message first hand believe him to be God. Definitely no. Even our Judges in the courts are called My Lord. Does that make them our creators. Definitely no.

So let us come to an understanding amongst us that our Lord, our God is One, as preached by Jesus and the Prophets.

As for fighting against falsehood, it is not natural that when you are pushed to the wall, you enter the wall. It is sheer pretension to say it is natural to allow your enemies and the enemies of Truth to slay you. Let us for instance say that the Muslims are the transgressors, why wont Christians wait for their flock to be extinct before fighting back in the name of  praying for your enemy. You see my dear, it is not natural. Defense is noble in the face of tyranny. Even Jesus as distorted as the Bible is, still recorded him as having gone uphill to pray when the plot thickened. Not only that, he made sure to post layers of sentries around the place just in case. Did Bible writers not reported him to have said ' Father , Father why have you forsaken me '. Such demeaning narrations are not what Quran teaches us about Jesus.

The Lord, Our God, The Wise did ordain fighting for the believers as you quoted to defend themselves and to make them have opportunities of asserting that when the need arises, they can die for their cause. It is not peculiar to Islam that people are urged to stand for their rights. All nations of the world teach the soldiers that.

AL-BAQARA 2:191 - "And slay them wherever ye catch them, and turn them out from where they have Turned you out; for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter; but fight them not at the Sacred Mosque, unless they (first) fight you there; but if they fight you, slay them. Such is the reward of those who suppress faith."

What is more noble than the above verse, telling you not to chicken out, but to stay firm against oppressors. If people of the world can just abide even if slightly to this verse, the world would be rid of oppressors, ignorance and aggression. This is because those who want to perpetuate these vices would be afraid of uprisings against them too. Look at when the early Muslims followed this injunction in-to-to, they were elevated to the rulers and the most noble set of human beings. Their works became the foundation of the present day modernism and inventions. Were the Muslims of later generation not reneged on this principle, the world today would probably be a better place to live.

Search your soul! Can you honestly pray for me if i meet you on the street and without any just cause, slap you hard. Definitely no and if you think otherwise, here is a piece of assignment, drive your vehicle to the beginning of your street and pack it in the middle of the road and see what will happen.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by nuru(m): 2:41pm On May 23, 2006
Tayod,

I am a muslim and one of the teachings of Islam is tolerance: For you is your religion and for me mine:

God says in the Quran' You cannot guide whom you love, God guides whom He wills.

God will judge everybody, although He has promised Paradise to the believers and the right doers. But the fact still remains that whether you look at it from the Bible or the Quran, Jesus Christ is Honored as a Teacher of One God. Whoever does not believe in One God is not a follower of Jesus even if he is called the Pope.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by TayoD(m): 3:18pm On May 23, 2006
Nuru,

What you fail to realise is that Christians believe in One true God who has CHOSEN to manifest Himself in a Person called Jesus Christ. The Bible says "The WORD became flesh and dwelt amongst us, and we beheld His glory as the only begotten of the Father." You limit God when you say He cannot choose to be what He wants to be. Afterall, we are created in His image after His likeness.

So is anyone who believes in one God a candidate of heaven? There are a lot of religion that believes in one God, but there is only one that provides the way of salvaion: Christianity.

Bottom line is this. You can not claim that the oneness of God is a diference between the two religion, rather it is a similarity. The only diference is that while Christianity proclaims that God has manifested Himself in the flesh, Islam claims otherwise.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam by mlksbaby(f): 9:14pm On May 23, 2006
@nuru,

I read thru your responses and here's what I'd like you to see:

1) when you read any verse in the Bible or the Qur'an, read them contextually.

2) when asserting any claim that Jesus made in the Bible, don't pick and choose: either you believe all that Jesus said in the Bible or you do not believe one verse. If you don't believe any verse of the Bible, then don't waste your time quoting any verse to support your agenda that "Jesus spoke the Truth" if you do not believe that truth yourself.

Applying these helpful principles to what you've posted recently, here's what you might want to take a second look at:

nuru:

The disciples called Jesus Teacher. Let us agree he was also called Lord, did the disciples who witnessed his message first hand believe him to be God. Definitely no. Even our Judges in the courts are called My Lord. Does that make them our creators. Definitely no.
Regardless of whatever definition you give the terms, I take it that you clearly agree that Jesus was called both Teacher and Lord. If that's the case, why did Mohammed never call Jesus 'Lord' or 'Teacher'?

nuru:

So let us come to an understanding amongst us that our Lord, our God is One, as preached by Jesus and the Prophets.

No problem. And as preached by Jesus, our Lord, Our God is a Trinity, for you cannot separate Him from what He preached when He referred to Himself as Lord:

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven." (Matt. 7:21)

"Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am." (John 13:13).

"Therefore the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath." (Mark 2:28).

And as preached by the Prophets, they recognized that the One to come was the Messiah and He was Lord also:

"The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool" (Psa. 110:1).
"For David himself said by the Holy Ghost, The LORD said to my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool. David therefore himself calleth him Lord; and whence is he then his son? And the common people heard him gladly." (Mark 12:36-37).

"Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me [this refers to John the baptist]: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant [this is none other than Jesus], whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts." (Mal. 3:1)

(Notice how Malachi described Jesus prophetically in this verse: he called Him 'the Lord. . . even the messenger of the covenant.' When you compare this prophecy with Matt. 21:12-15, you see indeed that Jesus was the one referred to in Mal. 3:1).

nuru:

Defense is noble in the face of tyranny. Even Jesus as distorted as the Bible is, still recorded him as having gone uphill to pray when the plot thickened. Not only that, he made sure to post layers of sentries around the place just in case. Did Bible writers not reported him to have said ' Father , Father why have you forsaken me '. Such demeaning narrations are not what Quran teaches us about Jesus.

First, "distorted as the Bible is" simply exposes your duplicity. Why quote it in the first place to assert that "Jesus spoke the Truth" if you knew all along that it was distorted? Second, when you stated that "distorted as the Bible is, still recorded. . . that he made sure to post layers of sentries around the place just in case," where in the Bible did you read that it was so recorded? You don't have to read things into the Bible that are simply not there; if those "narrations are not what Qur'an teaches us about Jesus" concerning the sentries, why did you suppose that is what the Bible teaches?

Third, the 'distortion' exposes the Qur'an as a very politically deceptive book if it at first acknowledges the Bible to be from God's in AL-BAQARA 2:132 - "Say ye: 'We believe in Allah, and the revelation given to us, and to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, and that given to Moses and Jesus, and that given to (all) prophets from their Lord: We make no difference between one and another of them: And we bow to Allah (in Islam)." It even goes so far as to encourage Christians to believe and practice what is in the Gospels - "Let the people of the Gospel judge by what Allah hath revealed therein. If any do fail to judge by (the light of) what Allah hath revealed, they are (no better than) those who rebel" (AL-MAEDA 5:47).

Today many Muslims are taught to believe the lie that the Bible has been corrupted and distorted, but they don't know what the genuine, undistorted and authentic Bible says. If you want to take a very convenient posture to what the Qur'an teaches, you don't need to appeal to the Bible for that; doing so means that the Qur'an can't stand on its own two legs.

nuru:

What is more noble than the above verse, telling you not to chicken out, but to stay firm against oppressors.
That's the fallacy that you often imagine - that Christians are many times wont to chicken out in the face of aggression. We are taught to stand firm and yet be disposed to seek peace, as I quoted earlier. The Qur'an on the other hand seeks to murder people under every cause Muslims can think of, and it wasn't long ago that the cartoon of the prophet Mohammed demonstrated this.

nuru:

Search your soul! Can you honestly pray for me if i meet you on the street and without any just cause, slap you hard. Definitely no and if you think otherwise, here is a piece of assignment, drive your vehicle to the beginning of your street and pack it in the middle of the road and see what will happen.

You haven't demonstrated common sense here - for you to slap someone without any just cause reveals your aggressive nature, which is so typical of the Islamic "peace". Second, people have treated me unfairly a few times, and the surprising thing is that I've never sought retaliation, nor have I held any grudges or bitterness against them. You'd be astounded to know that some of those people today have become my friends; the true Christian spirit does not seek enmity with anyone - ours is a Gospel of reconciliation. Third, for crying out loud, if parking your vehicle in the middle of the road shows what you'd do on any given day, I'm way above such low level thinking. Your IQ should tell you better.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Santa Claus' Grave Is Found Under A Church In Turkey (photos) / What Soul Age Are You? / Pastor Angel Obinim Sleeps With Lady In His Church To Give Her Husband (VIDEO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.