Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,861 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:55 AM

English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? (23264 Views)

100 Public Speaking Tips [FREE Ebook] / Home Practice Secret Of Starting Public Speaking / New Nigerian Writing Versus Old Nigerian Writing. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Afam4eva(m): 3:29pm On Sep 24, 2012
freecocoa: "more easier" indeed. undecided
freecocoa: Like refuse dump abi?

Una dey write engrish well sha cheesy
lol grin
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by ifechez: 3:34pm On Sep 24, 2012
Moukafoam:

Pls you are needed in τhe EAST ΆŋԂ in the NORTH lipsrsealed

Olodo! Please explain
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Deiok(m): 3:35pm On Sep 24, 2012
milliams: Well, I will say, speaking is much more hard. This is because it goes with alot of self confidence even if you are literate in English but lack self confidence to face the crowd. There are people that are intro-vert, they can write good english but tell them to speak, "HELL-RAIN"... They can sit behind closed door wirte constructively with well-thought-out sentences but because of lack of self-belief, they cannot contructive make public speech.

Perhaps, some of these western films and westerns sportmen and women, if you obeserved well, they blow alot of grammatical errors. Despite it is their native language. And, no-one seems to care.. they can do that and still go scort-free without questioning, why? It is because of their self-confidence.

This is what makes a good speaker of any language. And exactly what makes much more difficult!
I seconded that. Cause sometimes when i am in the midst of people i cant even speak simplest of english. Nawaooh.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Lero15(m): 3:38pm On Sep 24, 2012
sholay2011:

From the highlighted, op, we can conclude dat written is more difficult than spoken English. grin
YEAH
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by omodapson(m): 3:41pm On Sep 24, 2012
sholay2011:

From the highlighted, op, we can conclude dat written is more difficult than spoken English. grin

You badt gannnnnnnnnn shocked
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by omodapson(m): 3:43pm On Sep 24, 2012
afam4eva: Writing is more difficult but i find both difficult.
grin grin
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Laryokeke: 3:51pm On Sep 24, 2012
mehn, lots of funny guys in the house. I have been writing for a while now and I find writing a lot easier than speaking. This is because, while speaking, we churn out words spontaneously, hardly conscious of the tenability of our sentences, thereby making as many grammatical and pronunciation errors as possible, without even noticing them.

On the other hand, writing allows us to make as many mistakes as we wish, and then come back to put things right during that wonderful stage of revision. By the by, i think nairaland brought too many worthy issues to the front page today. please keep it up. nothing turns me off faster than open :Ding nairaland front page to see "Picture of Davido eating Akpu"
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Emperorneyo(m): 3:57pm On Sep 24, 2012
Well, I agree with you, but I have a Phillipine as Friend that can write English to an extent but cannot score two percent in speaking it.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Afam4eva(m): 3:58pm On Sep 24, 2012
Emperorneyo: Well, I agree with you, but I have a Phillipine as Friend that can write English to an extent but cannot score two percent in speaking it.
You have a whole country as a friend?? WOW!!!

1 Like

Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Mikocake(m): 4:00pm On Sep 24, 2012
bekee bu agbara to God who made me..even mua sef dey fall hand somtimes and no one is an exception. And rememba d easiest tin to do is to criticize
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Sep 24, 2012
Written English is much Harder than Spoken English. My office deals predominantly on Written English and anytime we need to recruit say 10 individuals, we always have to interview (trial included) at least 100.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by DICKtator: 4:17pm On Sep 24, 2012
spicy v:

My exact thoughts! I mean if after being careful before posting, such errors[b]where[/b] unnoticed, the OP has clearly proven that written is certainly more difficult than spoken.

I couldn't agree more
grin grin grin grin
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by korrej(m): 4:22pm On Sep 24, 2012
Nawa o. No be dat foreign language wey some mumu sorry wey some whitee carry com?. Anyway no try to answer dat question bcoz full stop naim end am.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Akposkool(m): 4:39pm On Sep 24, 2012
There is no question cus writing is so difficult.imagine how many kids can speak fluently but cant write very well.and garls are so guilty of this one.some cant spell their surname,but can rap a whole dictionary faster than twister.i remember gisting a chick,we got along very well but i discovered that despite her good diction,she couldn't type a text message.writing is like rocket science to some while speaking isn't a qualms.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by achi4u(m): 4:42pm On Sep 24, 2012
but people write more vucabulary words in their write-up than when they're speaking the same english language.

I'll go for speaking than written.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by ignis: 4:44pm On Sep 24, 2012
chimuchi: writing is much more difficult.
Why?
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Cuddlemii: 4:50pm On Sep 24, 2012
achi4u: but people write more vucabulary words in their write-up than when they're speaking the same english language.

interesting!

1 Like

Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by bhiggbozz(m): 4:50pm On Sep 24, 2012
writing english is more harder compare to writing.I could remeber in my secondary days essay writing was insteresting when writing but when the resultis out all we could see was red ink notifying our wrong usage of commas,fullstop, exclamation and etc.when speaking you could be speaking fluently with no one correcting where you should make a little stop.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Afam4eva(m): 4:51pm On Sep 24, 2012
achi4u: but people write more vucabulary words in their write-up than when they're speaking the same english language.

That's because when writing, you have ample time to think and add some very big words which could be a luxury when you're speaking. If you meet some people who use big words on nairaland in real life, you'll see that some of them are not as smart and good with words they seem in nairaland. Some might even be stammerers. But with the help of writing you can just google for one gigantic grammar and people will think you have a PHD in English language.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Adematic(m): 4:53pm On Sep 24, 2012
As for me i think b4 i speak cos in my sch(funaab) if u make mistake they will say umm Eru!!! i.e u drop load, moreover i study A-ONE In english As for me i think b4 i speak cos in my sch(funaab) if u make mistake they will say umm Eru!!! i.e u drop load, moreover i study A-ONE In english As for me i think b4 i speak cos in my sch(funaab) if u make mistake they will say umm Eru!!! i.e u drop load, moreover i study A-ONE In english

1 Like

Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Adematic(m): 4:54pm On Sep 24, 2012
As for me i think b4 i speak cos in my sch(funaab) if u make mistake they will say umm Eru!!! i.e u drop load, moreover i study A-ONE In english
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by FrontPageLawyer(m): 5:03pm On Sep 24, 2012
maclatunji: OP, your question is rhetorical.

what's your own definition of rhetorical? My friend I just asked a question, not trying to impress no one here.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by AdeniyiA(m): 5:06pm On Sep 24, 2012
am wanting to spoke to a girl whose tolded me that i shall go sat down in one place.
i started became annoyance and tolded her to left for hell. i lefted her and go my home to sat.
abeg no be ma papa language na understanding matter,abi i no try?
idea is need
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Clemzy16(m): 5:15pm On Sep 24, 2012
Written english is obviously more difficult than spoken english. It takes alot of creativity and understanding of punctuation before one can write fluentely. Same applies to Reading. Most people finds it difficult to read as-well-as writing. But rather articulate when it comes to speaking.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by FrontPageLawyer(m): 5:17pm On Sep 24, 2012
spicy v:

My exact thoughts! I mean if after being careful before posting, such errors where unnoticed, the OP has clearly proven that written is certainly more difficult than spoken.

Before you criticize me, first remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from my eye
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by SamAfrik(m): 5:20pm On Sep 24, 2012
Speaking is more difficult. No time to correct your mistakes once they are made. I sometimes blunder when am over-excited. I guess this happens more to we Yorubas that enjoy communicating in our Language, just like the Afrikanners (whites) of SA.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by free2ryhme: 5:22pm On Sep 24, 2012
FrontPageLawyer: For many, learning to write fluently in English is much more challenging than learning to speak fluently. written communications can come much more slowly in English than spoken communications.

on this forum, I have come to realize that mistakes are not permitted in English writing. It is a taboo even though typographical errors are allowed in some cases. So many members have fallen victim including me on "typographical errors". Yesterday I saw a member's comment on a particular thread “picture of AY and wife in New York City”. He erred while commenting, I said to myself in laughter "this person has murdered English language and he will find no sleep" before I could refresh page 2, the thread has already jumped to page 4 and insult keeps cascading, members capitalizing on the mistake made. Attention was immediately shifted from the main topic and the focus was on this erring member until the thread got to page 10. One good thing is that, you'll learn from your mistake immediately. Reasons why we are here, share ideas, learn, be informed and get educated.

But i said to myself that even in Britain where English language originated from, English is still being taught and students still fails, but on this forum Nairaland, nobody cares. You have to be very careful or don’t post at all.

I know a lot of people that speaks fluently but can’t write, because, written communication is more formal while spoken communication allows for more 'mistakes' also Less reflection goes into spoken English than written English

Which is more difficult, English speaking OR Writing?

None is difficult!
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by VivyGift(f): 5:34pm On Sep 24, 2012
Dis thread reminds me of a joke..., lol 'looks at you! looks at you! Common simple and corrected english you cannot spoke' lmao
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Afam4eva(m): 5:38pm On Sep 24, 2012
Vivy Gift: Dis thread reminds me of a joke..., lol 'looks at you! looks at you! Common simple and corrected english you cannot spoke' lmao
You peoples has start it again o,hmm after now them will blamed me. Me cannot spoke english?that's unpossible grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by NikkyGold1(f): 5:46pm On Sep 24, 2012
wink ; wink
donigspain: »»Je parlé françai et anglai cheesy wink ««
Written english is more difficult than spoken english.
Peut-etre tu parle francais mais tu ne peux pas il ecrire beaucoup
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by hardbody: 5:46pm On Sep 24, 2012
sholay2011:

Dead right. I concur
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Wallie(m): 5:49pm On Sep 24, 2012
FrontPageLawyer: For many, learning to write fluently in English is much more challenging than learning to speak fluently. written communications can come much more slowly in English than spoken communications.

on this forum, I have come to realize that mistakes are not permitted in English writing. It is a taboo even though typographical errors are allowed in some cases. So many members have fallen victim including me on "typographical errors". Yesterday I saw a member's comment on a particular thread “picture of AY and wife in New York City”. He erred while commenting, I said to myself in laughter "this person has murdered English language and he will find no sleep" before I could refresh page 2, the thread has already jumped to page 4 and insult keeps cascading, members capitalizing on the mistake made. Attention was immediately shifted from the main topic and the focus was on this erring member until the thread got to page 10. One good thing is that, you'll learn from your mistake immediately. Reasons why we are here, share ideas, learn, be informed and get educated.

But i said to myself that even in Britain where English language originated from, English is still being taught and students still fails, but on this forum Nairaland, nobody cares. You have to be very careful or don’t post at all.

I know a lot of people that speaks fluently but can’t write, because, written communication is more formal while spoken communication allows for more 'mistakes' also Less reflection goes into spoken English than written English

Which is more difficult, English speaking OR Writing?

For non-native educated English speakers, here’s the hierarchy of difficulty when trying to express a new idea:

1. Fluently spoken English - most difficult because it requires you to speak without that much time to self-correct.
2. Written English with correct punctuation – one can still learn and apply correct punctuation.
3. Written English without regards to punctuation is the easiest because you just have to follow a handful of rules.

To those saying that written English is more difficult because of the OP's mistakes, have you heard him speak? The most egregious errors in his posting are just one or two subject-verb-agreement and a few run-on sentences.

OP, you’re almost there! Just look up the couple of errors I pointed out.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Intellectual Property Removed At Owner's Request / What Was The Last Book You Read? / Dinner For Two

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.