Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:40 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (171) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1819648 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) ... (904) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Gbsks: 9:54pm On Sep 19, 2014
lomaxx:

Well...if you want something so bad, you should want it badly enough.
the reason why i said that is that i'm experiencing the problem buh i've only written jamb once and i'm trying the next one.... Not only that friends of mine that are aspirant are experiencing the same problem.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 9:57pm On Sep 19, 2014
Gbsks: the reason why i said that is that i'm experiencing the problem buh i've only written jamb once and i'm trying the next one.... Not only that friends of mine that are aspirant are experiencing the same problem.

Did you see this thread last year?

https://www.nairaland.com/1481452/how-get-admitted-medicine-surgery
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by warlei(m): 10:17pm On Sep 19, 2014
Hello room
I've got a lot of people around me doinng dentistry
I would love to. Ask what process it takes to move to medicine after completing dentistry
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by gameboi: 10:33pm On Sep 19, 2014
lomaxx:

Good.

I'm aspiring for the position of the President of University of Uyo Medical Students Association(UUMSA) next year.

I will need a campaign manager for your class when the time comes grin

You have immense potential.

Btw, I've sent the mail.
Chisos! I'm actually speechless now. I don't believe this. Here was I thinking you should be a medical student from one of these prestigious Nigerian medical Luminaries. I feel Prouder(Permit my English) now with what you just told me. Thanks once again.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 11:14pm On Sep 19, 2014
gameboi: Chisos! I'm actually speechless now. I don't believe this. Here was I thinking you should be a medical student from one of these prestigious Nigerian medical Luminaries. I feel Prouder(Permit my English) now with what you just told me. Thanks once again.

Lol.
Please don't start.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Gbsks: 11:19pm On Sep 19, 2014
lomaxx:

Did you see this thread last year?

https://www.nairaland.com/1481452/how-get-admitted-medicine-surgery
nope.. Buh i've seen it now, although the utme i wrote fetched me mcb in oau last year and i'm in part 1 now.. I'ld try my possible best in the next one.. I pray it works in Jesus name.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jozeph1(m): 11:20pm On Sep 19, 2014
@ gameboi ,Yea am on whatsapp gimme your number
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 11:24pm On Sep 19, 2014
Gbsks: nope.. Buh i've seen it now, although the utme i wrote fetched me mcb in oau.. I'ld try my possible best in the next one.. I pray it works in Jesus name.

No challenge.

Success.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jozeph1(m): 11:24pm On Sep 19, 2014
Lomaxx am serious i gave it my best
am an average student who scored an average mark but i wasnt considered cos the think smarties are the best for medicine
but that cant break my passion for medicine
its medicine or no career for me
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by NmaGOD44(f): 11:34pm On Sep 19, 2014
jozeph1: Lomaxx am serious i gave it my best
am an average student who scored an average mark but i wasnt considered cos the think smarties are the best for medicine
wooow...datz too serious if u shud ask me even though u didn't .....well,wishing u wat u wish urself which is d best....God has just heard u well I suppose...HE will do smtin abt ur case....say amen
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by gameboi: 11:35pm On Sep 19, 2014
jozeph1: @ gameboi ,Yea am on whatsapp gimme your number
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 12:00am On Sep 20, 2014
I THANK ALL THE FUTURE AND PRESENT DOCTORS WHO HAVE ANSWERED MY QUESTIONS MAY GOD GUIDE YOU IN YOUR CAREER IN JESUS NAME.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by TONYE001(m): 1:20am On Sep 20, 2014
Thanks @ Dr. Lomaxx, I've received the links.

Have a nice rest Sir.. smiley
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by faithboi: 3:01am On Sep 20, 2014
Thewhizzkid1: Yeah...Hope u've seen d second post? I deleted d earlier post(d one u quoted) cos it wasn't complete and it had some grammar errors(noticed when I went through it again)..Anyway as for me, I've not started my revisions..I think I'll start next week...M still doing some research on the medical field so that I will know what to expect when I start...If u have any information pertaining to d medical degree, pls pass on..Thanks.
I'll do just that.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ModusOperandi(f): 4:37am On Sep 20, 2014
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Ahmadjr(m): 4:53am On Sep 20, 2014
lomaxx: PART 1

Today was a typical Pediatrics day. I wake up by 3.00am, study till 7am and prepare for the day ahead. I snuggled in some study time between 8.15am and 10am waiting for the team of residents to arrive at the Children Emergency Ward for the rounds to begin. They began to arrive and in no time the rounds began.

Wow, what time do you go to bed really?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 5:50am On Sep 20, 2014
jozeph1: Lomaxx am serious i gave it my best

You didn't answer my questions. There's nothing like "average" or "smarties" in this place. Everyone here sits down to read. There's no one who is guaranteed success before attempting an exam. He who wields the most correct answers to exam questions is given priority- average or not.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 5:54am On Sep 20, 2014
Ahmadjr:

Wow, what time do you go to bed really?

My cumulative sleep time is 5 - 7 hours daily. I take napping seriously.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 6:56am On Sep 20, 2014
bethedoski: Hi all. I really admire the matured contribution of most of the guys on this thread(Drhesjay,Doclight, fatima amongst others). Though i'm an introvertive and reserved fellow but this thread has encouraged me to spill my bitter guts.
I applied for medicine and surgery in the university of ilorin and i had 254 and 80% in my jamb and post-utme respectively. My single sitting waec result was also good with 2 A1s, 1 C5, and the rest Bs. But when the list was released, I was offered physiology. No one can imagine how i felt that day. I was so downcast and almost went shizophrenic. And far disheartening was my research on this course. I learnt that most graduates(physiologists and anatomists) are hardly employable and their services are hardly required in any establishment including hospitals. Am yet to come to a reasonable conclusion on what to do. I've seen some who were given the course with far lower scores i am not trying to show off or demean them but i'm just confused and utterly perplexed right now. I have not even paid the clearance fee because am considering opting for IJMB or Remedial. I wonder how a school of that stance would be so discriminating in awarding such a course. I sincerely need the candid advice of my bosses here cos the clearance is supposed to close on the 21st.
lol.... scores..
my broda had 250...86...5As n 4Bs has no even bn admitted at all...
Lomaxx said it all dha...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Thewhizzkid1(m): 7:03am On Sep 20, 2014
DrHesjay: lol.... scores..
my broda had 250...86...5As n 5Bs has no even bn admitted at all...
Christ!!!! Incredible!!! Pls Dr Hesjay can u give me d anatomy syllabus of ur school...I want to cclarify something...Thanks...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:14am On Sep 20, 2014
Thewhizzkid1:
Christ!!!! Incredible!!! Pls Dr Hesjay can u give me d anatomy syllabus of ur school...I want to cclarify something...Thanks...
I dnt have it at hand sir.
and by syllabus.. do u mean d topics or what.
Unilorin operates a kinda integrated stuff n they use postings in preclinicals.
its not like its posting perse..... but they call them postings... n each posting had duration.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by bethedoski(m): 7:37am On Sep 20, 2014
DrHesjay: lol.... scores..
my broda had 250...86...5As n 4Bs has no even bn admitted at all...
O God, Thats incredible. 1 of my sec. Sch pals was offered medicine with Jamb-229 and Putme-72%. I was told that my being a non-indigene(not even in catchment area) was the reason. I really feel for ur brother ooo. Well God knows the best!!!. U told me in unilorin thread that the best 10 or so migrate to medicine in 200level. Am gonna give it a shot. Thanks so much once again.
If you don't mind, i would like to have ur whatsapp no. Mine is 08138888030
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:42am On Sep 20, 2014
bethedoski:
O God, Thats incredible. 1 of my sec. Sch pals was offered medicine with Jamb-229 and Putme-72%. I was told that my being a non-indigene(not even in catchment area) was the reason. I really feel for ur brother ooo. Well God knows the best!!!. U told me in unilorin thread that the best 10 or so migrate to medicine in 200level. Am gonna give it a shot. Thanks so much once again.
If you don't mind, i would like to have ur whatsapp no. Mine is 08138888030
Yea.. I didn't even know it was you..
go for physiology... try to be among d best ten.. u ll get medicine n start in 200lvl(u lose nothing)..
u also obtain jamb form... u will pass if u prepare well... u get medicine but u lose a year.. its worth it. that's what worked for most of us..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Thewhizzkid1(m): 7:44am On Sep 20, 2014
DrHesjay: I dnt have it at hand sir.
and by syllabus.. do u mean d topics or what.
Unilorin operates a kinda integrated stuff n they use postings in preclinicals.
its not like its posting perse..... but they call them postings... n each posting had duration.
Ok..Let me put it dix way...What courses do u offer in anatomy...But wait o..U replied me with a sir...Hehe...Me na small boy o..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:56am On Sep 20, 2014
Thewhizzkid1:
Ok..Let me put it dix way...What courses do u offer in anatomy...But wait o..U replied me with a sir...Hehe...Me na small boy o..

Our anatomy is divided into gross anatomy...histology n embryolohy
and we have postings... cbd/ibs...CVS/RS ..etc...
when its CVS/RS(8weeks).. we ll do histo.. embryo..physio.. everything on CVS and RS sha..
in cbd/IBS.. we ll treat general embryo.. general histo.. cell physoology then blood n body fluids..
so its integrated.. they follow like that sha.. don't rili knw how to put it...
all schools use d same syllabus... but different pattern of instruction....
A systemic approach is used for histology n embryology....( u learn by systems... Cardiovascular ...respiratory.... Gastrointestinal etc)
a regional approach is used for gross( u learn region by region.... d extremities.. thorax.. abdomen...pelvis... head. neck etc)
I ll try to see if I can get a file that explains better.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by bethedoski(m): 7:58am On Sep 20, 2014
lomaxx:

Adopt the dual approach to getting admitted.

Go for A levels. Cambridge preferably if you have the wherewithal. IJMB can suffice as well.

Then sneak in some study time for UTME. Studying for UTME on its own is enough. Having an A level background makes you a boss.

If Medicine is what you want, don't do Physiology for a long term goal. You can do Physiology now and Medicine later - which means you'll need to do the clearance. It's just gonna take longer. But if can afford the risk, try the first option.

It's very painful to work hard and not see results. It's very painful. I'm talking from experience. Some years ago, I scored 273 in UME and 328 in Post-UME and University of Uyo refused to give me admission on merit. It was the highest UME and Post-UTME score that year for MBBS(as I learnt later on). I'm an indigene of the state as well. I had mbbs admission elsewhere(you can imagine) but I wanted to school at home. I had to beg them to give me admission which they later heeded to.

However, this is life and bad things happen. Bad things do not happen to break us but to make us and help us discover abilities we never thought were possible. Life would always go on and failure isn't final. It maybe one year gone, but it's for a reason.

Good luck.
Thanks so much Dr lomaxx, u really are a spotlight to future doctors and other medical fields. I read ur earlier posts and they were really rejuvenating.
Well, I adopted the dual approach. I wrote kwasu's post ume and had 94% and i was offered biochemistry(they don't offer medicine there yet) which i turned down instantly.
In unilorin here, i heard the best 20 students in BMS(anatomy and physiology) transit to MBBS. So the qstn i wanna ask is: can i go for this course and aim for the best, write 2015 jamb and still undergo IJMB to widen my chances?.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jargo89(m): 8:02am On Sep 20, 2014
codedmelvin: gudevenin potential docs n d house,av been following dis thread for quite a long time Buh on a low key.........I jus gained admission into MBBS,university of Ibadan.....though av already gotten a B.Sc in microbiology(UNN)2-1,would av tried entering via d.e Buh I sensed dat ma chances are slim owing to nuc quota(at most admitting10) to fed unis....so I tried jamb.am so greatful to God dat am finally admitted into dis noble course nd I look upto u guys for advice nd guidance....will b tru with nysc nxt month,tnx
same here bro; grad from LASU mcb. Still waiting for admission list in my case tho
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Thewhizzkid1(m): 8:02am On Sep 20, 2014
DrHesjay:
Our anatomy is divided into gross anatomy...histology n embryolohy
and we have postings... cbd/ibs...CVS/RS ..etc...
when its CVS/RS(8weeks).. we ll do histo.. embryo..physio.. everything on CVS and RS sha..
in cbd/IBS.. we ll treat general embryo.. general histo.. cell physoology then blood n body fluids..
so its integrated.. they follow like that sha.. don't rili knw how to put it...
all schools use d same syllabus... but different pattern of instruction....
A systemic approach is used for histology n embryology....( u learn by systems... Cardiovascular ...respiratory.... Gastrointestinal etc
Is d anatomy also systemic or it's regional? M very sorry 4 disturbing u sir.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 8:22am On Sep 20, 2014
Thewhizzkid1: Is d anatomy also systemic or it's regional? M very sorry 4 disturbing u sir.
ah.. na u b my boss na.
what m saying is.
anatomy is divided into 3....histology,embryology and gross anatomy..
anatomy is not just one course... its a wide field with branches...as I said... gross anatomy is a regional stuff... while others r systemic..
there's also neuroanatomy. In unilorin.. its d last posting...(neuro posting) ...then they teach everything on d nervous system.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Samgreguc(m): 8:23am On Sep 20, 2014
DrHesjay: lmao....
Pls, tell us why u laffed?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 8:24am On Sep 20, 2014
oh..I get now..
check dat post again... I modified it . but seems u commented before I modified.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 8:26am On Sep 20, 2014
Samgreguc:
Pls, tell us why u laffed?
...n I keep laffin..
like since when did it matter y I laffed..
I m sure u knw y I laffed... at least... I believe u have d brain na...

(1) (2) (3) ... (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) ... (904) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.