Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,394 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:25 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (196) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1822660 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (193) (194) (195) (196) (197) (198) (199) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 10:40pm On Oct 27, 2014
Suresh08:
Dear lomaxx, i like you so much.
You are the bomb, you are an embodiment of perfection.
Just two questions...
1)why did you choose medicine?
2)if you had a chance to start over again what will you rather study apart from biomedical engineering?..
I humbly await your reply sir.

1) Let me start by telling why I didn't choose medicine. I didn't choose medicine for the money: I knew doctors were well paid alright but that wasn't a motivation. I didn't choose medicine for the perceived 'respect'- I always told myself that no matter the field I find myself, I would be distinctly different by making a name for myself no matter how small. I didn't choose medicine because I wanted to be a 'doctor'. While we grew up as kids, a whole lot of us wanted to be doctors. Same here. But that wasn't why I made the choice. If studying medicine would have landed me a non-doctor title/tag, I still would have studied it anyway.

I choosed medicine because it was challenging - from the onset. It was like a course reserved for the creme de la creme of excellent students. Getting in was challenging- you had to score very high to get in. Staying in is challenging- I heard how medical students are sent off to other depts if they fail their examinations. So that was the first motivation. I am a very adventurous person. I like to try different things - and I don't give up easily. So my journey into medicine was more like an adventure- a well calculated move.

I wanted to study medicine in Ife. That was my plan. My parents had a different plan. My mom felt I was too young to study medicine- she preferred I studied Anatomy first and after that I go to MBBS. That's being too choosy with words. She didn't want me to study medicine. My father wanted his first son to be an engineer. I still have an innate love for engineering though. I was perfect in Mathematics and the Sciences. I had all distinctions. According to him, such mental finesse shouldn't go to waste. So I had a big fight with satisfying both parents. In fact, that was the major reason I did A levels- to buy more time.

Secondly, my parents didn't want me to study outside Akwa Ibom State. It wasn't too long since my brother was murdered- so they couldn't bear the thought of their son leaving their reach. Whatever I had to do, had to be within Akwa Ibom State. Well, I filled Medicine in my UME form- without my parents knowing. It wasn't until Post-UME that they knew what I was up to. By then it was too late for anyone to do anything.

So I didn't even choose Medicine because my parents wanted me to. I choose medicine because it was what I wanted. Have you ever been in love you don't know why? Yeah that is what I mean!

The choice I made was based on the conviction I had - at the time the choice was made. And to me hat conviction, is very important.

2) If I had a chance to start all over again, I may not choose medicine. That is a fact. This does not in any way mean I have regrets. The part of Medicine I am not very convenient with is not being able to do so much outside your field. Medicine is indeed a calling- and once you're in, you're in. I still love Biomedical Engineering- I was considering it for postgraduate studies, but the market in Nigerian isn't ripe for such expertise. We're still struggling with Primary Health Care.

So asides that, if I were to choose another course, I'll study Applied Mathematics without looking twice.

I am of the belief that when it comes to career choice, any choice is fine. Provided you know what you are doing , you are comfortable with it, you are sure it's the right thing and you're ready to put in your best.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 10:41pm On Oct 27, 2014
LOT111:
new here
admitted to medicine...
txtbook pls
omolaratheresa@gmail.com
Wch school?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Doctor21(m): 11:12pm On Oct 27, 2014
Hi fellow medics in house greetings to you all.
@Dr lomaxx please as a fresher what are the odds nd challenges that i will be facing in school and how do i overcome these challenges.

thanks in advance as i anticipate a good response from you.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:44pm On Oct 27, 2014
silentdon:

What's This B.S?
u only do elementary /intro of these courses.

u r posted to psychiatry, Medicine, gynae etc Ward is NOT the same as doing Medicine, psychiatry or waeva!
Bcz u're posted to d obs nd gynae ward to learn nursing doesn't mk u know anything about gynae or obs or wateva... You don't even clerk so u can't diagnose anybody of any disease so just stay in your zone nd do your work nd don't try to compare yourself with anybody.

LOL. Didn't deem the guy worthy of a reply.

@jozeph1, try to get into a university first before attempting to get into online arguments about which courses are more important than others.

And if being a male nurse is your dream and passion, I wish you well but I really hope you seek advise from those in the profession at the moment before you start studying it else you get disappointed.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Omonoba1: 2:44am On Oct 28, 2014
Doclight:
@dentistry peeps!

Na una cause am na.
Una no dey talk or share any info as regarding life as a dentist or any dental related info, like even toothpaste and many more.
U let all this body medics to talk about their's and i even join them.
C'mon rise on ur feet.
hmmm!!!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Omonoba1: 2:48am On Oct 28, 2014
lomaxx:

1) Let me start by telling why I didn't choose medicine. I didn't choose medicine for the money: I knew doctors were well paid alright but that wasn't a motivation. I didn't choose medicine for the perceived 'respect'- I always told myself that no matter the field I find myself, I would be distinctly different by making a name for myself no matter how small. I didn't choose medicine because I wanted to be a 'doctor'. While we grew up as kids, a whole lot of us wanted to be doctors. Same here. But that wasn't why I made the choice. If studying medicine would have landed me a non-doctor title/tag, I still would have studied it anyway.

I choosed medicine because it was challenging - from the onset. It was like a course reserved for the creme de la creme of excellent students. Getting in was challenging- you had to score very high to get in. Staying in is challenging- I heard how medical students are sent off to other depts if they fail their examinations. So that was the first motivation. I am a very adventurous person. I like to try different things - and I don't give up easily. So my journey into medicine was more like an adventure- a well calculated move.

I wanted to study medicine in Ife. That was my plan. My parents had a different plan. My mom felt I was too young to study medicine- she preferred I studied Anatomy first and after that I go to MBBS. That's being too choosy with words. She didn't want me to study medicine. My father wanted his first son to be an engineer. I still have an innate love for engineering though. I was perfect in Mathematics and the Sciences. I had all distinctions. According to him, such mental finesse shouldn't go to waste. So I had a big fight with satisfying both parents. In fact, that was the major reason I did A levels- to buy more time.

Secondly, my parents didn't want me to study outside Akwa Ibom State. It wasn't too long since my brother was murdered- so they couldn't bear the thought of their son leaving their reach. Whatever I had to do, had to be within Akwa Ibom State. Well, I filled Medicine in my UME form- without my parents knowing. It wasn't until Post-UME that they knew what I was up to. By then it was too late for anyone to do anything.

So I didn't even choose Medicine because my parents wanted me to. I choose medicine because it was what I wanted. Have you ever been in love you don't know why? Yeah that is what I mean!

The choice I made was based on the conviction I had - at the time the choice was made. And to me hat conviction, is very important.

2) If I had a chance to start all over again, I may not choose medicine. That is a fact. This does not in any way mean I have regrets. The part of Medicine I am not very convenient with is not being able to do so much outside your field. Medicine is indeed a calling- and once you're in, you're in. I still love Biomedical Engineering- I was considering it for postgraduate studies, but the market in Nigerian isn't ripe for such expertise. We're still struggling with Primary Health Care.

So asides that, if I were to choose another course, I'll study Applied Mathematics without looking twice.

I am of the belief that when it comes to career choice, any choice is fine. Provided you know what you are doing , you are comfortable with it, you are sure it's the right thing and you're ready to put in your best.
Ears have not heard nor eyes seen what you will make of your generàtion! sail oñ Sire!!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jozeph1(m): 6:27am On Oct 28, 2014
lomaxx:

story for the gods

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 6:40am On Oct 28, 2014
jozeph1:

story for the gods
bros take am easy na
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Profcamsey(m): 6:49am On Oct 28, 2014
is doctor lomaxx igbo or hausa? I saw something. i am confused.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Samgreguc(m): 8:56am On Oct 28, 2014
jozeph1:

story for the gods
u got it wrong.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Samgreguc(m): 8:57am On Oct 28, 2014
Profcamsey:
is doctor lomaxx igbo or hausa? I saw something. i am confused.
I knw wot u saw.
Dnt b surprise, almost every family loves son(s).
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by guzzyg: 9:06am On Oct 28, 2014
lomaxx of life, love ur spirit driving force, pray i be like u one day
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Destinygrl(f): 11:26am On Oct 28, 2014
alutacontinua:

finish with what you're doing now.
If in the next 5-10 years, you still feel un-fulfilled without the MBBS certificate (which I highly doubt), you can then go back to med school.

#my opinion#
Lol this is same as dads suggestion,tnks
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by divydaniel: 11:37am On Oct 28, 2014
lomaxx:

U jus inspired me
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by gameboi: 11:53am On Oct 28, 2014
lomaxx:

Why do I feel like I'm on the right ship heading towards the wrong direction?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Destinygrl(f): 11:56am On Oct 28, 2014
ikevin:
my dear, treat promises like a handful of air. It holds no true meaning, what if the person promising you a job gets sacked, dies or your relationship strains immediately you need the job? Humans would always be humans. If it is your true passion, I would advise you to take it. You can convince your family, I am sure they would understand. Yet, you can still let it go, but never base your life on the word of mouth of a fellow human being. Think of the next 20 years, your state of mind then, what would you have preferred mi lady. Whatever rocks your boat my dear. What a funny world, a million people out there are dying for this course, yet we have someone who is not that concerned and has been given. Life is something else.
thanks so much for the post, its funny how 1 cld find the answer 1 seeks in a quastion(wt wld i prefr in d next 20 yrs)
nairaland is really powerful deciding my future on the advice I got here thnks all so much
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Samgreguc(m): 12:20pm On Oct 28, 2014
gameboi:
Why do I feel like I'm on the right ship heading towards the wrong direction?
hmmm!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by gameboi: 12:57pm On Oct 28, 2014
Samgreguc:

hmmm!
what? Why ''hmm''? Please say something.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Fedric(m): 1:38pm On Oct 28, 2014
lomaxx:

hmmmmmmm
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Samgreguc(m): 1:53pm On Oct 28, 2014
gameboi:
what? Why ''hmm''? Please say something.
jst try love what u are doing.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Omonoba1: 3:18pm On Oct 28, 2014
lomaxx:

Gross Anatomy: Snell's Clinical Anatomy By Regions

Histology : BRS Histology + Di Fiore's Atlas of Histology

Embryology : BRS Embryology

Physiology : NMS Physiology plus/minus Fox Physiology

Biochemistry : MN Charteajea Textbook of Medical Biochemistry

The books I recommend to medical students are often looked down upon. They are indeed risk adventures. Most medical students I recommend books to end up not using them. Why? Because they're not the usual books. Medical students are used to the books generations ahead of them used and prefer spending long grueling hours on huge endless textbooks. To some of them, that's the drill.

But one girl attempted to use of of the books I recommended in her Pathology exam. Her classmates were studying Almighty Robbins and Cortran Pathologic Basis of Disease. I told her not to use it. My reason: the book was too detailed and time wasting. I offered her a trio of Pathology Secrets+Pathguy.com+Some lecture notes I emailed her. The results was out last week- she topped the class with a distinction mark. They still think she's a genius.

Happy weekend.
pls whats the price range of the books cos i need them immediately after my exams..secondly, are their soft copies available?? Thanks!

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Vicjay1(m): 5:14pm On Oct 28, 2014
Good day Dr Lomaxx and co's. Lol. Pls I would need pdf files of all the textbooks for 200L. Victoryagbujie@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Thewhizzkid1(m): 12:48am On Oct 29, 2014
Madam I sight u o@Aisha800..Go sleep ma..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Aisha800(f): 12:49am On Oct 29, 2014
Thewhizzkid1:
Madam I sight u o@Aisha800..Go sleep ma..
wt about u, mr go and sleep
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Thewhizzkid1(m): 12:51am On Oct 29, 2014
Aisha800:
wt about u, mr go and sleep
I am on personal al9t ma.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Aisha800(f): 12:52am On Oct 29, 2014
Thewhizzkid1:
I am personal al9t ma.
me too
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Thewhizzkid1(m): 12:54am On Oct 29, 2014
Aisha800:
me too
Ok ma..Check ur mail ma.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Aisha800(f): 12:57am On Oct 29, 2014
Thewhizzkid1:
Ok ma..Check ur mail ma.
i have replied sir
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by JayEye(m): 6:52am On Oct 29, 2014
Thewhizzkid1:
Ok ma..Check ur mail ma.

I want to send you a pm.
Pls follow back.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by davidiee(m): 6:54am On Oct 29, 2014
laryom1:
i need opinions on the best anatomy, physiology and bch books.... some people are saying gray's anatomy is d best, while some said its Keith Moore others said the best is snell's.....im damn confuse.
I prefer gray's cos it flows well and its simple to understand, Keith Moore is interesting too but its only good if you wana teach and not write. as for snell I don't have much info cos I've not tried it before
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by davidiee(m): 7:01am On Oct 29, 2014
lomaxx:

Gross Anatomy: Snell's Clinical Anatomy By Regions

Histology : BRS Histology + Di Fiore's Atlas of Histology

Embryology : BRS Embryology

Physiology : NMS Physiology plus/minus Fox Physiology

Biochemistry : MN Charteajea Textbook of Medical Biochemistry

The books I recommend to medical students are often looked down upon. They are indeed risk adventures. Most medical students I recommend books to end up not using them. Why? Because they're not the usual books. Medical students are used to the books generations ahead of them used and prefer spending long grueling hours on huge endless textbooks. To some of them, that's the drill.

But one girl attempted to use of of the books I recommended in her Pathology exam. Her classmates were studying Almighty Robbins and Cortran Pathologic Basis of Disease. I told her not to use it. My reason: the book was too detailed and time wasting. I offered her a trio of Pathology Secrets+Pathguy.com+Some lecture notes I emailed her. The results was out last week- she topped the class with a distinction mark. They still think she's a genius.

Happy weekend.
Please Doc. Can u mail these medical books to my Email daveojiyi@yahoo.com I will be eternally grateful

(1) (2) (3) ... (193) (194) (195) (196) (197) (198) (199) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.