Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,316 members, 7,780,768 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:36 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (216) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1806875 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (213) (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) ... (903) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DavidHunds(m): 7:39pm On Jan 19, 2015
smartdave1:

Who be sir? hehehehehe... I be boy o. Thanks 4 ur tym, sir! I'll try send a mail to the school.

Same here bro, i've been a secret 'disciple' here. Maybe its b'cos i'm not yet a medic..... Being clueless of the happenings in med sch.

But I'm gonna register fully as a medic....... Soonest!

'Namesake', u're a lasuite, right?
Lol
Yes bro,a lasuite
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by smartdave1: 7:46pm On Jan 19, 2015
DavidHunds:

Lol
Yes bro,a lasuite

More glucose to your head. wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Thewhizzkid1(m): 8:56pm On Jan 19, 2015
ese79:
ya, i perfectly understood wat u were trying to pas accross and i wasn't offended.. I rep Udus, 200level medicine. You?
M stl a novice o. 100level medicine, AAU. What's Udus pls?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by seunO4: 9:03pm On Jan 19, 2015
Thewhizzkid1:
M stl a novice o. 100level medicine, AAU. What's Udus pls?

Usmanu Dan Fodiyo University, Sokoto
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Profcamsey(m): 5:27am On Jan 20, 2015
Hello house. How many time is a school allowed to write M.B exam in a year?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 11:42am On Jan 20, 2015
Hi guys. How una dey?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by sagaciousblog: 12:55pm On Jan 20, 2015
lomaxx:

Start by removing the distractions - then study. Never study with the hope of containing distractions. It mostly never works. Even if it does- its not perfect.

I'm not a fan of studying for long grueling hours. It's not important. What is important is your goal of studying, having the right materials, and making sure you attain your study goal per time.

A man can decide to put 2 bags of rice on a wheelbarrow and push it from point A to point B. To everyone, he has worked hard. To him, he is working hard. You can see the sweat on his skin and his bulgy muscles attesting to the 2 bags of rice weight.

Another man can decide to put 2 bags of rice in van- to move from point A to point B. Well, this doesn't matter much to anyone. Nobody sees him. Nobody hears him. He doesn't work so much as MR Truckpusher. But he did what Mr Truckpusher did- moving two bags of rice from point A to point B.

Granted-to succeed, you would have to invest hardwork. But sadly, the most important thing is not the amount of work you do, but the amount of goals you attain per time.

I am not saying studying for long hours isn't good. My point is- no matter how long you study for ( 2 hours or 20 hours) place more emphasis on what you're achieving with that time instead of using the length of time as a measure of effective study. At the end of the day, when you're asked to write on the brachial plexus, nobody would ask the number of hours you studied. You'd be expected to produce what you should know.

This doesn't mean it's easier.

Long term memory depends a whole lot on repetitive studying. If my physiology doesn't fail me, there are two types of memories: short term and long term. When you're studying a concept for the first time, that information is stored as short term memory. Within a short while, you'd forget. To remember over a long period of time, you need to transfer this information from the short term to long term memory centers. This can only happen by repetitive studying- a term fondly called "potentiation" (look up physiology of long term memory and potentiation for more details)

Which is why I always advise that one studies :

1) Before a lecture
2) Pay attention during the lecture
3) Study what was taught immediately after the lecture. This gives you a chance to add more details if you want a distinction.
4) Revise at another time
5) Maybe one more time for folks that want distinctions.

To me that's all you need.

The other BCH-Medicine thing is a very personal affair. If you've wanted to study medicine all your life, on no account should you back down. At least, give it your best shot. If it works out, well and good- if not, at least you gave it a good try.

Don't spend too much time thinking of making the right decision. Make the decision - then stick to it
i will never forget this sire!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by sagaciousblog: 1:08pm On Jan 20, 2015
lomaxx:

Gross Anatomy: Snell's Clinical Anatomy By Regions

Histology : BRS Histology + Di Fiore's Atlas of Histology

Embryology : BRS Embryology

Physiology : NMS Physiology plus/minus Fox Physiology

Biochemistry : MN Charteajea Textbook of Medical Biochemistry

The books I recommend to medical students are often looked down upon. They are indeed risk adventures. Most medical students I recommend books to end up not using them. Why? Because they're not the usual books. Medical students are used to the books generations ahead of them used and prefer spending long grueling hours on huge endless textbooks. To some of them, that's the drill.

But one girl attempted to use of of the books I recommended in her Pathology exam. Her classmates were studying Almighty Robbins and Cortran Pathologic Basis of Disease. I told her not to use it. My reason: the book was too detailed and time wasting. I offered her a trio of Pathology Secrets+Pathguy.com+Some lecture notes I emailed her. The results was out last week- she topped the class with a distinction mark. They still think she's a genius.

Happy weekend.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Hulahoop: 4:19pm On Jan 20, 2015
@lomaxx.must one join study group to succeed in medical skul?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Vcojuro: 5:20pm On Jan 20, 2015
How long does it take to be a consultant.
From housemanship to consultant
What is the time frame.
Please I need an answer
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by sagaciousblog: 5:34pm On Jan 20, 2015
Vcojuro:
How long does it take to be a consultant.
From housemanship to consultant
What is the time frame.
Please I need an answer
it depends on one's choice of residency but on average 6-8yrs i.e housemanship and youth service included..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Smartchidi7(m): 6:53pm On Jan 20, 2015
can sumone help me wit topics or course outlines in 100level,phy101(mechanics and properities of matters),....am a fresher in uniport,but admitted into anatomy,........pls,if do uniport switch frm anatomy to mbbs,if u knw abt it,drop ur comment,tnx
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by toydgirl: 9:12pm On Jan 20, 2015
lomaxx:
Hi guys. How una dey?
Hiii.Im fine.Ive missed you!!!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by smartdave1: 12:22am On Jan 21, 2015
lomaxx:
Hi guys. How una dey?

helloooo sir Lomax. Good morning boss!

ds room missed u cos u're such a gem.

welcome...... 'aluaa' (in my dialet)
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Thewhizzkid1(m): 1:31am On Jan 21, 2015
smartdave1:

helloooo sir Lomax. Good morning boss!

ds room missed u cos u're such a gem.

welcome...... 'aluaa' (in my dialet)
Are u from delta? Ika to b specific?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by smartdave1: 7:13am On Jan 21, 2015
Thewhizzkid1:

Are u from delta? Ika to b specific?

lol
yesss boss. smiley

same as u..... *guessing*
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jan 21, 2015
PLEASE HELP ME ANSU THESE QUESTIONS dr Lomax and others

1.A boy was attacked by a mob and in defence raised his hand and was stabbed on the flexor retinaculum (anterior forearm).He realized that he has lost sensation in the thenar region. Which nerve was damaged?In order to check the extent of the damage, he realized he can still oppose the thumb. This confirmed his diagnosis to be what?

2.From the first question, if there was loss of adduction of the thumb, which nerve is assumed to be damaged. In order to confirm his assumption, he should check for sensation in which of the finger?

3 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Thewhizzkid1(m): 5:25pm On Jan 21, 2015
smartdave1:

lol
yesss boss. smiley

same as u..... *guessing*
Hehe. Ika boy. M from Delta but not specifically from Ika. M from ughelli north. But I live at Agbor. I was surprised when I saw "aluaa"
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Doc2b: 8:08pm On Jan 21, 2015
pls can someone help me with the name of biology book they use in MBBS 100L
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by smartdave1: 11:06pm On Jan 21, 2015
Thewhizzkid1:

Hehe. Ika boy. M from Delta but not specifically from Ika. M from ughelli north. But I live at Agbor. I was surprised when I saw "aluaa"

*winks*
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Doc2b: 12:31pm On Jan 22, 2015
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Emmafe(m): 5:41pm On Jan 22, 2015
Oau aspirant

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by laryom1(m): 7:00pm On Jan 22, 2015
Doc2b:
pls can someone help me with the name of biology book they use in MBBS 100L
Reece & Campbell Biology; or Integrated Principle of Zoology; Biology by Raven Johnson is also good. You can get their softcopies online also
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Doc2b: 7:06pm On Jan 22, 2015
laryom1:
Reece & Campbell Biology; or Integrated Principle of Zoology; Biology by Raven Johnson is also good. You can get their softcopies online also
thanks so much I appreciate it
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by worthing: 8:39pm On Jan 22, 2015
smart dave i site u ooo....am frm ika north too..ute oheze to b precise
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by smartdave1: 5:56pm On Jan 23, 2015
worthing:
smart dave i site u ooo....am frm ika north too..ute oheze to b precise

we get brothers here o
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by shegestiga(m): 8:03pm On Jan 23, 2015
hello Dr. Lomaxx......i just gained admission to study mbbs bt with d way pple badmouthed d course dat its only 4 extraordinary brilliant pple i began to doubt my abilities.......plz cn an average student like me eva b successful in medical schl....m kinda nervous

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DrLazDevitan: 10:30pm On Jan 23, 2015
shegestiga:
hello Dr. Lomaxx......i just gained admission to study mbbs bt with d way pple badmouthed d course dat its only 4 extraordinary brilliant pple i began to doubt my abilities.......plz cn an average student like me eva b successful in medical schl....m kinda nervous

Since the minions of this world has blended you that you are average and not extra-ordinary for this medicine conquest and you see yourself in the mirror of the eyes of others,my gainful advice is to quit the course until you reconcile yourself to your right insider.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by simba1: 11:02pm On Jan 23, 2015
Which medical school?
shegestiga:
if u cud score so high in Jamb and P.jamb to beat the huge competition, den why doubt ur abilities?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by simba1: 11:03pm On Jan 23, 2015
By then getting it again, cud b hell!
DrLazDevitan:

Since the minions of this world has blended you that you are average and not extra-ordinary for this medicine conquest and you see yourself in the mirror of the eyes of others,my gainful advice is to quit the course until you reconcile yourself to your right insider.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Doc2b: 12:43am On Jan 24, 2015
shegestiga:
go for it n put in ur best, if u fall short well the schl wl tk care of tht bt hopefully u wl mk it
just remember d struggles u went thrgh to gt d admstn this is no time to doubt urslf

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (213) (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) ... (903) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.