Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,208 members, 7,780,371 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:13 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1806665 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (903) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Superclem(m): 12:51pm On Sep 22, 2012
would like to knw some of the common specializations available and wat ar d challenges we re likely to face in med sql?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Idyllic: 2:39pm On Sep 22, 2012
Lagusta:

Don't mind me jare, I m always in the jokes section too... grin grin grin

Never knew dentistry is a 6yr course.... We don't hav it in unilorin shaa

There are some medical specialties that can still guarantee a formidable social life: community health, psychiatry, all pathology specialties and some of the surgical sub-specialties I.e radiology, ophthalmology, and ENT...

And yep, u got it right, our courses are harder, imagine writing all pathology in a single day: 800 MCQs and 17 SAQs
@Lagusta and others, please I want to understand what you mean by sub-specialities of surgery and how is radiology for example a sub-speciality of surgery. Please I will like a detailed and encompassing explanation. I really want to understand sub-specialities of surgery in general and how radiology is one of them. Thanks in advance.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Ibro4peak: 3:19pm On Sep 22, 2012
happy noon,pls I am a die hard potential medical aspirant.hoping 2 gain admissn dis year into unilorin for anatomy.I overheard unilorin promotes 10 best overall students into medicne.is dat true?and if,how can 1 reach dat feat?pls doctors, a candid resposne is solemnly needed

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jnrremedy(m): 4:51pm On Sep 22, 2012
is it compulsory i finish youth service before applying for direct entry.i am a graduate of biochemistry with strong 2.1. pls i need an ans asap.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 8:03pm On Sep 22, 2012
Idyllic: @Lagusta, please I want to understand what you mean by sub-specialities of surgery and how is radiology for example a sub-speciality of surgery. Please I will like a detailed and encompassing explanation. I really want to understand sub-specialities of surgery in general and how radiology is one of them. Thanks in advance.

The sub- specialties of surgery include anaesthetiology, radiology, otorhinolaryngology and ophthalmology. They are called sub-specialties cos they help the general surgeon to diagnose, treat, and manage various disorders. Radiology must be one of them, cos without the x-rays, ultrasound, CT, MRI, etc, we won't get a clear view of what's going on in the human body....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 8:06pm On Sep 22, 2012
jnrremedy: is it compulsory i finish youth service before applying for direct entry.i am a graduate of biochemistry with strong 2.1. pls i need an ans asap.

Not compulsory, but some schools demand for an NYSC certificate e.g unilorin, so pls confirm
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 8:13pm On Sep 22, 2012
Ibro4peak: happy noon,pls I am a die hard potential medical aspirant.hoping 2 gain admissn dis year into unilorin for anatomy.I overheard unilorin promotes 10 best overall students into medicne.is dat true?and if,how can 1 reach dat feat?pls doctors, a candid resposne is solemnly needed

Yes, like I said, I am a unilorin final year medical student, so I m the right doc 2 answer ur query.....

Yes, they promote the best 20 100L anatomy and physiology students into 200L medicine.... But I heard they want to stop it, m not sure shaaa.....

The only way u can make it is if u get As in all courses I.e physics, chemistry and biology, with the GNS courses.....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 8:30pm On Sep 22, 2012
Superclem: would like to knw some of the common specializations available and wat ar d challenges we re likely to face in med sql?

There are many specialties in medicine and surgery, the core ones are pathology, paediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, medicine, surgery and community health

Pathology specialties include hematology, microbiology, histopathology, and chemical pathology

Medicine and paediatrics have the same specialties, only that paediatrics deal with children, while internal medicine deals with adults, the specialties include neurology, psychiatry, pulmonology, cardiology, gastroenterology, nephrology, and endocrinology

Obstetrics and gynecology is a major surgical specialty

Other surgical specialties include neurosurgery, cardiothoracic surgery, urology, orthopaedics, paediatric surgery, plastic surgery, and the sub-specialties I listed earlier..

Community health is a major branch of medicine....
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Idyllic: 8:43pm On Sep 22, 2012
Thanks you for the answer. I asked the question because I saw someone's primary fellowship examination result and it reads: " I am pleased to inform you that you satisfied the examiners at the primary fellowship examinations of faculty of radiology of the west african college of surgeons...". They did not say west african college of surgery sub-speciality. So am I right if I call a person doing his residency in radiology a Surgeon?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Ibro4peak: 8:44pm On Sep 22, 2012
Lagusta:

Yes, like I said, I am a unilorin final year medical student, so I m the right doc 2 answer ur query.....

Yes, they promote the best 20 100L anatomy and physiology students into 200L medicine.... But I heard they want to stop it, m not sure shaaa.....

The only way u can make it is if u get As in all courses I.e physics, chemistry and biology, with the GNS courses.....
10q sir,m happy 2 b fortunate 2 join dis thread.wish 2 join u in d race 2 greatness
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Idyllic: 9:20pm On Sep 22, 2012
@ Lagusta and others Thanks you for the answer. I asked the question because I saw someone's primary fellowship examination result and it reads: " I am pleased to inform you that you satisfied the examiners at the primary fellowship examinations of faculty of radiology of the west african college of surgeons...". They did not say west african college of surgery sub-speciality. So am I right if I call a person doing his residency in radiology a Surgeon?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 1:09am On Sep 23, 2012
Idyllic: @ Lagusta and others Thanks you for the answer. I asked the question because I saw someone's primary fellowship examination result and it reads: " I am pleased to inform you that you satisfied the examiners at the primary fellowship examinations of faculty of radiology of the west african college of surgeons...". They did not say west african college of surgery sub-speciality. So am I right if I call a person doing his residency in radiology a Surgeon?

The fact that radiology is a sub-specialty does not mean it is not part of surgery, and yes, a radiologist is still a surgeon, cos like I said, they help surgeons to diagnose and treat surgical disorders.....

A surgeon is not complete without an x-ray film of the patient beside him/her, just as he/she is not complete without an anaesthetist to monitor the patient's vital signs while on the operating table....

So...........

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 1:11am On Sep 23, 2012
Ibro4peak: 10q sir,m happy 2 b fortunate 2 join dis thread.wish 2 join u in d race 2 greatness

Thanx to u too, we shall all reach the pinnacle of greatness, by the grace of the Almighty....
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by sportyblinks: 6:40am On Sep 23, 2012
Hi 2 u al in da hauz....i jst gain'd admisn in2 O.A.U 2 study medicin....plz i wana knw abt d tuition 4 fresherz and mayb stalites 2....rili api 2 b amng d yng docs 2
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 8:51am On Sep 23, 2012
sportyblinks: Hi 2 u al in da hauz....i jst gain'd admisn in2 O.A.U 2 study medicin....plz i wana knw abt d tuition 4 fresherz and mayb stalites 2....rili api 2 b amng d yng docs 2

Congrats bro.....
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 2:07pm On Sep 23, 2012
HELLO EVERYBODY!!!!!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Shakidor: 3:43pm On Sep 23, 2012
Lagusta: HELLO EVERYBODY!!!!!
Can u jst pls brief me on physiotherapy? Wat it is itz relationship to doctor, d program(how similar is it to medicine) d exam stuffs, posting, housmanship/intership and d specialization. Plssss if u av a clue.
Any therapy student shud help ooooo.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 3:52pm On Sep 23, 2012
Shakidor:
Can u jst pls brief me on physiotherapy? Wat it is itz relationship to doctor, d program(how similar is it to medicine) d exam stuffs, posting, housmanship/intership and d specialization. Plssss if u av a clue.
Any therapy student shud help ooooo.

A physiotherapist deals with the rehabilitation of the human musculoskeletal system, just an adjunct to an orthopedic surgeon... I think its 5 or 6 yrs but I don't kno whether they do internship...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:21pm On Sep 23, 2012
sportyblinks: Hi 2 u al in da hauz....i jst gain'd admisn in2 O.A.U 2 study medicin....plz i wana knw abt d tuition 4 fresherz and mayb stalites 2....rili api 2 b amng d yng docs 2
.....ogbeni
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Danyl(m): 8:17pm On Sep 23, 2012
Does that mean i can only apply to one school or i have choices... As in 1st n 2nd choice
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 8:30pm On Sep 23, 2012
Danyl: Does that mean i can only apply to one school or i have choices... As in 1st n 2nd choice

I didn't get your question....

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Ibro4peak: 9:10pm On Sep 23, 2012
Lagusta:

Thanx to u too, we shall all reach the pinnacle of greatness, by the grace of the Almighty....
u r highly welcome sir
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jayone15(m): 10:33pm On Sep 23, 2012
@LAGUSTA Dentistry is 6 yrs ooo,the course is very complex,even more complex dan medicine,i av a bro. doin it...among all the courses mbbs students do,it is only O and G they don't do...they do anatomy,physiology,biochem,pathology,medicine,surgery,paediatrics,little psychiatry n all other courses mbbs will do..in addition they do oral anatomy,oral physio,oral medicine,oral and maxillofacial surgery,oral patho,oral paediatrics,orthodontics,periodontics,restorative dentistry,community denistry among many odas

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jayone15(m): 10:42pm On Sep 23, 2012
they also start there clinical postings in part 4. and they do internship,they collect the same amount wif medicine students during housemanship.i even HEARD that they are paid higher than medicine studs in 44th armed forces hospital,lagos where i HEARD they collect almost 300k per month.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 10:59pm On Sep 23, 2012
jayone15: they also start there clinical postings in part 4. and they do internship,they collect the same amount wif medicine students during housemanship.i even HEARD that they are paid higher than medicine studs in 44th armed forces hospital,lagos where i HEARD they collect almost 300k per month.

Where is that hospital, how much do they pay docs there, how do I get in?? I need answers NOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Shakidor: 11:16pm On Sep 23, 2012
Lagusta:

A physiotherapist deals with the rehabilitation of the human musculoskeletal system, just an adjunct to an orthopedic surgeon... I think its 5 or 6 yrs but I don't kno whether they do internship...
Thanks 4 d reply o. Bt btw dentistry, nursing science and physiotherapy which one is more closed to medicine( l mean almost in evry terms). Which one should one go for in leu to medicine?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 11:24pm On Sep 23, 2012
Shakidor:
Thanks 4 d reply o. Bt btw dentistry, nursing science and physiotherapy which one is more closed to medicine( l mean almost in evry terms). Which one should one go for in leu to medicine?

Dentistry na d koko oooo, cos they pay like doctors, u do the same subjects that doctors do, with some slight adjustments and u will be called a doctor!!!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 8:01am On Sep 24, 2012
Good mornin docs, how's the week starting Hope ur cadavers, pots and patients are not giving u tough time!!!!

3 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jayone15(m): 9:21am On Sep 24, 2012
@lagusta

The hospital is 48th Armed Forces Hospital,Lagos,..the hospital is owned by d millitary..
there are 3 of such hospitals in naija...others are 68th Armed Forces Hospital,LAGOS and armed forces hospital,KADUNA..
You can visit the MDCN Website to know d amount of docs they can take in 4 internship every year.d site is mdcnigeria.org

HOW TO ENTER? I DON'T KNOW,DAT'S 4 U DOCS 2 KNOW...
buh i heard they take in pple wu passed very,very well.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by rill: 9:40am On Sep 24, 2012
Gud morning docs!!! 300L lautech medical student. Been stuck in this same level since last year cos of accreditation ish!!! Hoping we get bak our license soon enough, write d part one MB exam, pass and move on! God bless ya'll!!!!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 11:04am On Sep 24, 2012
rill: Gud morning docs!!! 300L lautech medical student. Been stuck in this same level since last year cos of accreditation ish!!! Hoping we get bak our license soon enough, write d part one MB exam, pass and move on! God bless ya'll!!!!

Sorry about the lautech ish..... God will do the best for u...

BTW, when r u guyz moving to ur permanent site nah?? ?? ??
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 11:05am On Sep 24, 2012
jayone15: @lagusta

The hospital is 48th Armed Forces Hospital,Lagos,..the hospital is owned by d millitary..
there are 3 of such hospitals in naija...others are 68th Armed Forces Hospital,LAGOS and armed forces hospital,KADUNA..
You can visit the MDCN Website to know d amount of docs they can take in 4 internship every year.d site is mdcnigeria.org

HOW TO ENTER? I DON'T KNOW,DAT'S 4 U DOCS 2 KNOW...
buh i heard they take in pple wu passed very,very well.

Thanx 4 d info, will check out the site...

But, the MBBS degree is unclassified, how will they know who passed very very well....

Ok, I think u r talking about the interview we will do, I will prep for that...

I always wished to do my house job in a military hospital....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (903) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.