Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,333 members, 7,780,873 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:30 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1806952 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (903) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by OME1(m): 6:15pm On Sep 29, 2012
Lagusta:

My best moment was when I saw that our 500L result was out, and I passed, it was a big joy for me that I am now in final year....

I had two worst moments... I lost my mom in 2006, lost my dad in 2008, those nearly cost me my medical school, so I had to struggle to survive through the hectic hyperstuffilaemic environment!!!
I respect you...against all odds you are where you are today...you are a true inspiration to young students like me..

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ebsuguy(m): 6:59pm On Sep 29, 2012
lagusta...pls ur 2go id?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Kadata(m): 7:08pm On Sep 29, 2012
Kadata:

Best moment was when the HOD of Physiology department told me that they'd take me on distinction viva during Part1 MBBS Exam. I was their only candidate. No one has ever got a Distinction in Physio before. During the viva, I answered all the questions correctly. The UNIBEN prof was obviously impressed.
Worst moment was when the Part 1 result was pasted finally. I only saw 'PASS' . I wanted to die. I didnt know what happpened. Well, shit happens in med school. Seriously, I nearly cried.
Dr.Gboy:

I guess u must hv felt on top of d world for acheiving such an uncontestable feat in UNIBEN.u need not to hv cried that much, lyf is unpredictable, we all hv our share of badluck.

pls re-read
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Kadata(m): 7:37pm On Sep 29, 2012
Mr Laugsta, glad to see you're almost done with med school. uhmm.... i'm doing my s1 postings right now. My current unit is Cardiothoracic Surgery. I'm 1week old in the unit already and we coiuldnt do much last week because of the strike. So basically last weeks' rounds ws for stuff. Boring.
So I wanna ask- what are common conditions that normally present in cardiothoracic surgery!??-from the med student point of view. They say common things occur commonly. At least I've seen lung cancer, pleural effusion and TB. Any additions??
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lathyph: 9:42pm On Sep 29, 2012
Lagusta:

My best moment was when I saw that our 500L result was out, and I passed, it was a big joy for me that I am now in final year....

I had two worst moments... I lost my mom in 2006, lost my dad in 2008, those nearly cost me my medical school, so I had to struggle to survive through the hectic hyperstuffilaemic environment!!!
WAT A PITY! May ur joy neva turns to sorrow...kip ur guy postd wen its tym 4 ur convocation oooo
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 9:47pm On Sep 29, 2012
Kadata: Mr Laugsta, glad to see you're almost done with med school. uhmm.... i'm doing my s1 postings right now. My current unit is Cardiothoracic Surgery. I'm 1week old in the unit already and we coiuldnt do much last week because of the strike. So basically last weeks' rounds ws for stuff. Boring.
So I wanna ask- what are common conditions that normally present in cardiothoracic surgery!??-from the med student point of view. They say common things occur commonly. At least I've seen lung cancer, pleural effusion and TB. Any additions??

Hemothorax from trauma, patent ductus arteriosus, bronchogenic cancer, gunshots, stab wounds.... The list is endless

But I have once seen a pneumonectomy, diagnosis uas a fibrotic lung from TB
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 9:55pm On Sep 29, 2012
ebsuguy: lagusta...pls ur 2go id?

Its in my signature.....

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by aliandro(m): 4:14am On Sep 30, 2012
New unilag mbbs intake,i am now part of u.aw many subjects would we be doing in 1st semesta.pls list out d text buks 4 level 1 distinctly.I am ready 2 kick start lecturez.gboy,wats ur 2go id
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DrGboy(m): 6:29am On Sep 30, 2012
aliandro: New unilag mbbs intake,i am now part of u.aw many subjects would we be doing in 1st semesta.pls list out d text buks 4 level 1 distinctly.I am ready 2 kick start lecturez.gboy,wats ur 2go id
oh sorry i'm not on 2go, don't have time for all those chatting stuff. U can contact me on fcbk. gboy4real@hotmail.com as for d txtbks, check d previous post by phoenix he has rlly done justice to that.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 7:39am On Sep 30, 2012
Hmmm, this thread is getting boring....

So I think we need to task our brains a little...

Let me ask u guyz easy questions for now...

For the preclinicals: can someone pls tell me about erb duchenne's palsy

Also, tell me about the frank-starling mechanism...

For the clinicals: in an x-ray, what is the diagnosis in "air under the diaphragm" and its treatment...

What are the drugs used in managing HIV....

Sorry, I forgot to say GOOOOOOOD MORRRNIIINGGG!!!!!!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by bibigirl07: 10:44am On Sep 30, 2012
Armed with a first degree in Economics, with a very strong passion to Study Medicine, next year @28 yrs. Is it too late to achieve my dream? Do ave all the required science subjects @credit level tho. Ūя̲̅ useful advices needed!!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 6:14pm On Sep 30, 2012
bibigirl07: Armed with a first degree in Economics, with a very strong passion to Study Medicine, next year @28 yrs. Is it too late to achieve my dream? Do ave all the required science subjects @credit level tho. Ūя̲̅ useful advices needed!!
I share your passion.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 6:17pm On Sep 30, 2012
bibigirl07: Armed with a first degree in Economics, with a very strong passion to Study Medicine, next year @28 yrs. Is it too late to achieve my dream? Do ave all the required science subjects @credit level tho. Ūя̲̅ useful advices needed!!
I share your passion.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jayone15(m): 6:18pm On Sep 30, 2012
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 6:18pm On Sep 30, 2012
sorry for the multiple posts above. The server, as at the time I posted, was diagonised to be suffering from temporal lobe epilepsy. Lagusta, if he doesn't mind, may shed more light on the condition.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by OME1(m): 6:31pm On Sep 30, 2012
morufoye:
I share your passion. I have a first degree in mechanical engineering and I just got admitted for med/ surg and I am going to it. I am even older than you. Its all about passion. I have travelled around the world quiet a bit and I am always impressed by Doctors. Now, I am going to be one too. I can't help but be impressed and proud of myself considering how I blasted the utme and OAU's bokoharamic putme despite my very tight business schedule. Those will know me in MED school. I am gonna kick their a.s.s
hey...really impressive i also just got admitted to u.i for mbbs...you already have that univerisity experience...will appreciate if you can drop useful tips that will inspire youngs students like me..thanks

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 6:50pm On Sep 30, 2012
O.M.E:
hey...really impressive i also just got admitted to u.i for mbbs...you already have that univerisity experience...will appreciate if you can drop useful tips that will inspire youngs students like me..thanks
The password is stay focused and be resistant to distractions. Aim very high at worst you will the ceiling.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ebsuguy(m): 7:41pm On Sep 30, 2012
Lagusta: Hmmm, this thread is getting boring....

So I think we need to task our brains a little...

Let me ask u guyz easy questions for now...

For the preclinicals: can someone pls tell me about erb duchenne's palsy

Also, tell me about the frank-starling mechanism...

For the clinicals: in an x-ray, what is the diagnosis in "air under the diaphragm" and its treatment...

What are the drugs used in managing HIV....

Sorry, I forgot to say GOOOOOOOD MORRRNIIINGGG!!!!!!
hmmmm...erb palsy is injury to the upper trunk of the brachial plexus...leading to the arm being abducted and medially rotated then the forearm being adducted and laterally rotated...it is also called policeman tips syndrome.....for starlings law of heart...i think is about the stepcase mechanism...that impulse keeps increasing twice as b4...av forgotten it...can u help @lagusta?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 7:44pm On Sep 30, 2012
morufoye: sorry for the multiple posts above. The server, as at the time I posted, was diagonised to be suffering from temporal lobe epilepsy. Lagusta, if he doesn't mind, may shed more light on the condition.

LOL @ bolded...

Sometimes, they may even suffer from vascular dementia, with a sideline of tardive dyskinesia.... LOL

3 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:46pm On Sep 30, 2012
morufoye:
I share your passion. I have a first degree in mechanical engineering and I just got admitted for med/ surg and I am going to it. I am even older than you. Its all about passion. I have travelled around the world quiet a bit and I've always been impressed by Doctors wherever I meet them. Now, I am going to be one too. I can't help but be impressed and proud of myself considering how I blasted the utme and OAU's bokoharamic putme despite my very tight business schedule. Those kids will know me in MED school. I am gonna kick their a.s.s

Wow!! I troway salute sire!.. That's some determination you have got there.. I knew you on oau's thread buh didn't know you were coming in for your 2nd degree..
So does that mean that you don't really engineering at all?.. Or let me re-phrase my question properly sir, Why not medicine in the first place?

3 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:49pm On Sep 30, 2012
ebsuguy:
hmmmm...erb palsy is injury to the upper trunk of the brachial plexus...leading to the arm being abducted and medially rotated then the forearm being adducted and laterally rotated...it is also called policeman tips syndrome.....for starlings law of heart...i think is about the stepcase mechanism...that impulse keeps increasing twice as b4...av forgotten it...can u help @lagusta?

Errm.. Senior colleagues .. Abeg stop oppressing us here oo.. Loool!!.. Happy new week to y'all...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ebsuguy(m): 8:07pm On Sep 30, 2012
oluafolabi:

Errm.. Senior colleagues .. Abeg stop oppressing us here oo.. Loool!!.. Happy new week to y'all...
what level are u?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 8:15pm On Sep 30, 2012

Ma'am.. I have learnt that fulfillment is all that matters in life.. and that it even comes before money.. In as much as medicine would give you the fulfillment you so much crave, then go for it but nevertheless you are a woman you should know that happiness doesn't come from careers alone, they also come from making a family.
So whatever it is you decide.. Pls make sure you would be happy with it in the long run.
Cheers!! Have a great week.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by opisco01(m): 8:24pm On Sep 30, 2012
Wat are the top 5 medical schools in Nigeria?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 8:35pm On Sep 30, 2012
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 8:55pm On Sep 30, 2012
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 9:07pm On Sep 30, 2012
ebsuguy:
what level are u?

Lol.. Boss no mind me oo.. Na JJC I be.. Will be resumn 100lvl by jan.. UI.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 9:09pm On Sep 30, 2012
morufoye:
As a kid, I would not think of any other profession apart from being a doctor. Later I thought life was all about money and I diverted to engineering thinking I would end up in shell or mobil. Nay, I ended up as a marketer looking for deposits under the sun everyday. Now, I know better. Life is all about fulfillment. my passion for medicine had never waned.

All da same.. Kudos to those strong guts of yours!.. BTW, OAU med school could be quite challenging.. I hope you can meet up to it!.. We will meet at the top sire.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 9:13pm On Sep 30, 2012
Hey docs, how u'all doing

The art and practice of medicine is a noble one, dating back since the time of man.... In fact, saving a life is like saving the whole of mankind!!!

Please, nobody should read medicine and surgery because of the money, prestige of being called "Dr. Something" or because u think u can hook a lot of babes with it. Go for it because u want to save a life, or u are doing it for God.

Don't mind the fact that u read another course before coming back for medicine.... In fact, there are a lot of pple overseas who had their Ph.D in the arts, but still came back for medicine, why? Because of the passion, the zeal, and the dexterity of the noble profession!!!

This is for those that read economics, engineering, etc.... Do not lose hope, you are highly welcome into the profession!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

6 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jayone15(m): 9:17pm On Sep 30, 2012
opisco01: Wat are the top 5 medical schools in Nigeria?
According 2 d info i got on d net as at april last yr....
1.University of Ibadan
2.University of Lagos
3.University of Maiduguri
4.Obafemi Awolowo Uni.
5.University of Benin
6.University of Ilorin
7.U.N.N. NSUKKA
8.University of P/HARCOURT
9.Lagos state uni
10.A.B.U. ZARIA
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 9:18pm On Sep 30, 2012
ebsuguy:

Ok, let me help u...

Starling's law states that the force of contraction of the heart is proportional to the initial length of the muscle fibre.... Therefore, anything that will increase the length, eg increased blood volume, will lead to an increased force of contraction, leading to increased cardiac output... If there is a high peripheral resistance, you know where that will lead to......

BTW, nobody has answered my clinical questions...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 9:22pm On Sep 30, 2012
jayone15: According 2 d info i got on d net as at april last yr....
1.University of Ibadan
2.University of Lagos
3.University of Maiduguri
4.Obafemi Awolowo Uni.
5.University of Benin
6. University of Ilorin
7.U.N.N. NSUKKA
8.University of P/HARCOURT
9.Lagos state uni
10.A.B.U. ZARIA

How can my school be the sixth,,,, I DON'T BELIEVE THIS!!!!!

SOURCE PLS

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (903) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.