Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,962 members, 7,799,270 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:06 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (245) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1817677 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (242) (243) (244) (245) (246) (247) (248) ... (904) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Profcamsey(m): 9:56pm On Jun 28, 2015
JERIZO:
Please, Help! I need serious Advice. I am a 100level student of the Benue State University College Of Health Sciences. We have been on strike for 5 months and still hoping to resume school soon.
It kind of make me wonder what kind of medical education am I going to get from a Medical school which has not even graduated a single medical student. Medics have been here for like 12 years Without graduation.
I am planning to leave for another medical school but I am still confused about it.
I don't know whether to
continue in this medical school and suffer the consequence of not graduating on time or make an alternate move to another medical school, but time is not on my side, I am 20 years old already.
bros, try another jamb but be focused on this 1. Medicine worth the wait. Admission is not easy these days.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by NiRfreak(m): 6:34am On Jun 29, 2015
doctors in the house!... can a phd holder get admission to
study mbbs in unilag?using direct entry? and into wot level will
such candidate be admitted?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:40am On Jun 29, 2015
I have 262 in Jamb... Please how good am i to go... Oau medical student aspirant
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by donriddo(m): 8:35am On Jun 29, 2015
Samakinr:
I have 262 in Jamb... Please how good am i to go... Oau medical student aspirant
sighs! The second great Ife ever showed up here. Welcome Sir.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 6:37am On Jun 30, 2015
for the inquisitive aspirants, this is what med school looks like.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 6:39am On Jun 30, 2015
That is how we roll in unijos, I believe you guys can as well share your experiences.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:08am On Jun 30, 2015
The lecturer needs to face a panel.

It's very unfortunate that at this age, universities in nigeria still publish results like this.

charleymed:
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 7:30am On Jun 30, 2015
centje:
The lecturer needs to face a panel.

It's very unfortunate that at this age, universities in nigeria still publish results like this.

I agree with you Bro, here in Nigeria nobody really give a damn. but as they always say, in medicine you just have to maintain standard. so don't be surprised if they publish results worse than this.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by medschoolguy: 7:46am On Jun 30, 2015
The stuffy roots of this thread have quite been lost, therefore something to stimulate us;

1). What is the pathogenesis of septic shock?

2). Only one gram +ve bacteria produces spores, which is it?

3). What are actinomycetes?

4). Discuss the in viva coagulation pathway.

5). A diabetes mellitus patient on oral hypoglycemic drugs was unresponsive and constantly hyperglycemic. However, with no change in dosage, she suddenly went into hypoglycemic coma. After the episode, she reduced her dose yet episodes of hyperglycemia still occurred. What could be the cause?

NB: Sorry that the questions are too easy. This is just to stimulate the chiefs to give us stuff.

Happy answering.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by omicron(m): 10:14am On Jun 30, 2015
charleymed:
This is very true, in the sense that such pass rate is possible with the current curriculum of med school in Nigeria where the load far exceeds the time to cover them. It is not entirely the lecturer's problem, neither does it mean that 93.6% of the students are olodos. Centje, how many people passed physiology 1st test in our class then? Lol

It is a test result, usually at the begining of the 1st professional exam, so the examiner might have been very strict regarding the marking scheme. Then, many med students are yet to understand how to pass and what to read. Many are still lost in the never-ending volumes of stuff to read.

In time the scores will improve, and by the end of the 1st professional exam, pass rate should be around 50%, partly because these scores might have stimulated the students more, and partly because the students get to mature and read more purposefully.

The result is a true reflection of med school, at that stage in many schools. This is the kind of things non medical students will never understand, even our closest neighbours in allied medical departments.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by muta1996(m): 10:38am On Jun 30, 2015
A 6-day-old boy is brought to the emergency department for inability to feed for 12 hours. His parents report that the infant has been unable to open his mouth and has held his hands clenched all day. The infant was delivered at home by the grandmother. The mother had no access to prenatal care but says that the pregnancy was uncomplicated. The mother immigrated to the United States 6 years ago. Physical examination shows increased muscle tone throughout, arching of the back, and dorsiflexed feet. The umbilical cord is covered with a clump of soil. The mother says that it is customary in her village where she grew up to cover the umbilical stump with dung to speed cord separation. In addition to hygienic umbilical cord care, which of the following is the most effective strategy to prevent this condition?

A. Early postpartum breastfeeding
B. Prophylactic antibiotics
C. Prophylactic immune globulin
D. Vaccination of infants at birth
E. Vaccination of pregnant women
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by omicron(m): 10:47am On Jun 30, 2015
JERIZO:
Please, Help! I need serious Advice. I am a 100level student of the Benue State University College Of Health Sciences. We have been on strike for 5 months and still hoping to resume school soon.
It kind of make me wonder what kind of medical education am I going to get from a Medical school which has not even graduated a single medical student. Medics have been here for like 12 years Without graduation.
I am planning to leave for another medical school but I am still confused about it.
I don't know whether to
continue in this medical school and suffer the consequence of not graduating on time or make an alternate move to another medical school, but time is not on my side, I am 20 years old already.
If I were in your shoes, I'd write another JAMB and move on at another school. All the best

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by omicron(m): 11:09am On Jun 30, 2015
kingjms010:
Hello!!! Pls, for a medical student, what is the maximum and minimum hours for him/her to study/read per day?
No hard and fast rules. It depends on you.

My general rule was to try to cover the lectures of the day before the end of the day, and to do a weekly review by weekends plus 'mop-up' reading, whereby I read fresh topics that I was not able to read on their lecture days.

I also paid more attention to topics I found too large or more difficult, meaning I gave special attention to them at the expense of others. The amount of time and work I gave to a course was inversly related to how easy-to-understand-or-remember that course was to me.

Eg, because I found Biochemistry quite simple, I spent far less time on it, not out of neglect but just because I did not need to spend much time on it to pass it. Same with Public Health and Obstetrics and Gynaecology in 4th MB class, and somewhat, Medicine in Final MB.

You should also know which part of the day you read and understand most. Personally, I could not read at nights; the output was too little compared to the input. Thirty minutes of reading in the Mornings could give me the same output that a 4-hour studying session would give me in the afternoons and at nights.

I discovered this close to my 2nd MB exam, more than a year into med school. From then on, I changed my reading time. I would usually "go to class" or read in the room from around 3am to around 7am, having slept from around 8pm. When I needed more time, I would skip some lectures (usually those known not to have much benefit to me) and read all morning up to 11am.

So in general, find what works for you and maximise it. That way, med school will not be too intimidating or stressful to you

10 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by tpiander: 11:25am On Jun 30, 2015
@ muta

You are referring to tetanus.

However, you did not explain how the mother immigrated to the States 6 years ago yet her baby whose umbilical cord was covered with dung, is six days old in nigeria.

Can you clear that up.

Did the mother return to nigeria ?

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by tpiander: 11:41am On Jun 30, 2015
NiRfreak:
doctors in the house!... can a veterinary doctor get admission to
study mbbs in unilag?using direct entry? and into wot level will
such candidate be admitted?

Never heard of such, ie switching from vet med to allopathic med.

Why don't you want to practice veterinary medicine?

I should think they'll be making good money now that Buhari is in power.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jun 30, 2015
In the second line of my post,I was actually referring to the pasting results on notice board. At this age, It should be computerised.

charleymed:
I agree with you Bro, here in Nigeria nobody really give a damn. but as they always say, in medicine you just have to maintain standard. so don't be surprised if they publish results worse than this.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jun 30, 2015
teebabe1994:
Hi I am a medical doctor FRM Wesley osun state
... Pardon me pls... Are u a medical student therein or a full fledged one
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jun 30, 2015
Lol grin, now you've reminded me that horrible physiology. I can't even remember whether I passed or it was mild-moderate failure grin.

omicron:
This is very true, in the sense that such pass rate is possible with the current curriculum of med school in Nigeria where the load far exceeds the time to cover them. It is not entirely the lecturer's problem, neither does it mean that 93.6% of the students are olodos. Centje, how many people passed physiology 1st test in our class then? Lol

It is a test result, usually at the begining of the 1st professional exam, so the examiner might have been very strict regarding the marking scheme. Then, many med students are yet to understand how to pass and what to read. Many are still lost in the never-ending volumes of stuff to read.

In time the scores will improve, and by the end of the 1st professional exam, pass rate should be around 50%, partly because these scores might have stimulated the students more, and partly because the students get to mature and read more purposefully.

The result is a true reflection of med school, at that stage in many schools. This is the kind of things non medical students will never understand, even our closest neighbours in allied medical departments.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by muta1996(m): 9:14pm On Jun 30, 2015
tpiander:
@ muta

You are referring to tetanus.

However, you did not explain how the mother immigrated to the States 6 years ago yet her baby whose umbilical cord was covered with dung, is six days old in nigeria.

Can you clear that up.

Did the mother return to nigeria ?
she didnt return
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 9:40pm On Jun 30, 2015
Glad to see fire burning on this thread. I'm currently preparing for my Part III Final MBBS Examination. Hope to resume activity on the thread when I done. One love.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by JERIZO(m): 11:23pm On Jun 30, 2015
JERIZO:
I don't know whether to
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 12:52am On Jul 01, 2015
[quote author=JERIZO post=35342554][/quote]
Your post left out some important information.
what level are you?
what level of accreditation is your school?
what's the news about the accreditation according to your lecturers?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 12:55am On Jul 01, 2015
muta1996:
A 6-day-old boy is brought to the emergency department for inability to feed for 12 hours. His parents report that the infant has been unable to open his mouth and has held his hands clenched all day. The infant was delivered at home by the grandmother. The mother had no access to prenatal care but says that the pregnancy was uncomplicated. The mother immigrated to the United States 6 years ago. Physical examination shows increased muscle tone throughout, arching of the back, and dorsiflexed feet. The umbilical cord is covered with a clump of soil. The mother says that it is customary in her village where she grew up to cover the umbilical stump with dung to speed cord separation. In addition to hygienic umbilical cord care, which of the following is the most effective strategy to prevent this condition?

A. Early postpartum breastfeeding
B. Prophylactic antibiotics
C. Prophylactic immune globulin
D. Vaccination of infants at birth
E. Vaccination of pregnant women

E. Vaccination of Pregnant Women.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 12:58am On Jul 01, 2015
medschoolguy:
The stuffy roots of this thread have quite been lost, therefore something to stimulate us;

1). What is the pathogenesis of septic shock?

2). Only one gram +ve bacteria produces spores, which is it?

3). What are actinomycetes?

4). Discuss the in viva coagulation pathway.

5). A diabetes mellitus patient on oral hypoglycemic drugs was unresponsive and constantly hyperglycemic. However, with no change in dosage, she suddenly went into hypoglycemic coma. After the episode, she reduced her dose yet episodes of hyperglycemia still occurred. What could be the cause?

NB: Sorry that the questions are too easy. This is just to stimulate the chiefs to give us stuff.

Happy answering.

1) Endotoxin mediated release of pro-inflammatory cytokines and mediators

5) Type 1 DM?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 1:02am On Jul 01, 2015
charleymed:

Negative marking is the bane of medical education in Nigeria.

The exam I wrote 2 days ago, the rule is +1/-1.

You have one question correct - 1 mark

You have another one wrong - minus 1 mark.

And that's how it is in a lot of other medical schools.

This method of assessing students is counter productive. But we can't complain.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 1:10am On Jul 01, 2015
JERIZO:

Guys in my school is going through the same thing. I am planning of leaving them with their unaccredited medical school.

Eksu is unaccredited. Your school is partially accredited. You have to do a lot of fact finding before you jump ship. Growing medical schools have their teething issues. But fact finding first.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by medschoolguy: 1:17am On Jul 01, 2015
lomaxx:

1) Endotoxin mediated release of pro-inflammatory cytokines and mediators

5) Type 1 DM?

1. Correct

2. Renal failure causes reduced clearance of the oral hyperglycemics increasing their duration of action in the system.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 1:21am On Jul 01, 2015
medschoolguy:

1. Correct

2. Renal failure causes reduced clearance of the oral hyperglycemics increasing their duration of action in the system.

how do you explain the quoted below ? it's an excerpt from the original question.

After the episode, she reduced her dose yet episodes of hyperglycemia still occurred.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by AmbFitsaint(m): 2:36am On Jul 01, 2015
So glad to see this thread progress as it used to be.
Greetings to all medics in the house.

I must confess that I greatly detest the rush this new curriculum has birthed.

I detest cramming for exams but how will I cover up an enormous region with a frame of two weeks and getting tested on it with 2 big regions instantaneously?

Gross in grossly time demanding to grasp but my lecturers seem not to grasp. Now it is all abt cramming d seemingly hot spots and discarding most part.
I hate this system.

Stabbing classes, dissection sections and even practicals have been the order of the day here for the confident guys. What a curriculum!

I had prefer learning the stuffs with no pressure bearing it in mind that medical school might go far beyond 6 years to just activating survival mode of reading style.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by tpiander: 4:03am On Jul 01, 2015
muta1996:

she didnt return

so the baby was born in the US, delivered at home and the umbilicus covered with soil?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by muta1996(m): 4:41am On Jul 01, 2015
lomaxx:

E. Vaccination of Pregnant Women.
yes sir
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by muta1996(m): 4:43am On Jul 01, 2015
tpiander:

so the baby was born in the US, delivered at home and the umbilicus covered with soil?
check d question again,all d info is dere.
Prevention of neonatal tetanus focuses on vaccinating women who are pregnant or may become pregnant with inactivated tetanus toxin (tetanus toxoid). Appropriately vaccinated women provide transplacental IgG to the fetus, which decreases the incidence of neonatal tetanus by approximately 95%.

(1) (2) (3) ... (242) (243) (244) (245) (246) (247) (248) ... (904) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.