Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,167 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:00 AM

Salary In The Nigerian Army? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Salary In The Nigerian Army? (356025 Views)

Electricity Workers Protest Over Non-Payment Of Salary In Lagos (Photos) / Osun Lecturer Faints In Bank After Finding N150 As February Salary In Account / How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by Blenheim(m): 8:56pm On Jan 12, 2008
Well said Admiral!!

It is true that military forces all over the world are generally average income earners, hence it is difficult to join thenmilitary and become rich legitimately. However, one must consider the goodwill and value added derived from military service, which cannot be equated with monetary value.

Furthermore, the military has produced some of the best technologies in the world eg the Internet, GPS Technology. Some of the best leaders in the world have military backgrounds eg Winston Churchill, George Bush snr etc

In Nigeria today, we have distinguished military men everywhere eg in medicine Brig Gen Oviemo Ovadje, inventor of the Emergency Blood Transfusion Set; in real estate Brig Gen Tunde Reis, former Chairman Federal Housing Authority and founder of Cooperative villas Badore Lagos & even in banking Mr Abdulrahaman Esene ED Sterling Bank

The discipline imbibed in the military helps military officers to harness both their income and other benefits in order to live within the status expected of the gentleman officer.

Join the army as a service to your country , serve diligently, manage your earnings prudently and at the end of your career you'll be fulfilled.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by holywood(m): 10:00pm On Jan 12, 2008
THE VICE ADMIRAL HAS VERY WELL INFORMED US ALL BUT HIS VIEWS WERE DRAWN BASICALLY FROM HIS BACKGROUND AS A REGULAR MILITARY OFFICER FROM 'THE ACADEMY'(NDA), AND, IN MY OWN OPINION AS A BARRACK BOY FOR MORE THAN 25YEARS I THINK SUCH CALIBRE OF OFFICERS ENJOY CERTAIN BENEFITS WHICH ARE ABSOLUTELY EXCLUSIVE TO THEM. THESE BENEFITS, TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE, ARE NOT BEING ENJOYED BY NON-REGULAR OFFICERS WHO ARE COMMISSIONED, AND I THINK THAT'S ONE OF THE THINGS THE PERSON WHO POSTED THIS TOPIC CRAVES TO KNOW. FOR EXAMPLE, I KNOW THAT THERE ARE CERTAIN LUCRATIVE AND JUICY APPOINTMENTS THAT GRADUATE OFFICERS WHO WERE COMMISSIONED ARE NOT ENTITLED TO BECAUSE THE REGULAR OFFICERS WHO PASS THROUGH THE PRESTIGIOUS NDA OWN THE MILITARY. THEY WOULD NOT ALLOW A BLOODY CIVILIAN WHO HAS MANAGED TO HANG ONE OR TWO 'KERNELS'(PIPS) ON HIS SHOULDER WITHIN A YEAR TO ENJOY THE SAME BENEFIT OF THEIR STRUGGLE AND ENDURANCE OF 5YEARS. ALSO, THERE ARE CERTAIN RANK A COMMISSIONED OFFICER CAN NOT PASS EXCEPT IF HE IS FORTUNATE TO CONVERT TO A REGULAR OFFICER. SO EVEN AS WE PLAN TO JOIN THE NIGERIAN ARMY AS COMMISSIONED OFFICERS LET'S BEAR THIS IN MIND BECAUSE IF TOMORROW SOMEONE WHO IS JUST JOINING THE ACADEMY AS AT THE TIME WE'RE BEING COMMISSIONED BECOMES OUR SUPERIOR OFFICER WE SHOULD UNDERSTAND WHY, -- THE REGULAR ORRICERS OWN THE MILITARY!. THE MILITARY IS A NOBLE PROFESSION AND I THINK ONE CAN LIVE COMFORTABLY WELL IF ONE CAN PLAN WHILE IN IT. IT DEMANDS COURAGE AND GUTS TO SURVIVE AND IT'S ALL ABOUT SERVICE TO THE FATHER LAND. -- VICTORY COMES FROM GOD ALONE, SO SEE YOU GUYS IN KD FOR TRAINING COS AM OUT!. ONE LOVE.

2 Likes

Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by fsb(m): 11:51am On Jan 13, 2008
Hi,

This is a very interesting thread. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone, preferably, serving men or women, would provide answers to 2 questions:

1. How difficult can it get gaining admission to the NDA for the short service (6months) program?
2. What are the prospects of a medical doctor joining the armed forces? Post grad training, renumeration, etc

I'll be happy if anyone could send me detailed info via email: k_adeniran2001@yahoo.com

Regards,
fsb,
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by VAdmiral(m): 1:38pm On Jan 13, 2008
@ Paribus

Thanks my brother for appreciating my comments, anytime. From ur comments u must be a very organised person as well.

@ Hart

thanks for considering my comments useful.

@ bambash

Wao, fellow REGULAR on nairaland!! Very exciting!!
Which course are u, and from which battalion? Am a highlander (Abyssinia Battalion).
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by bambash(m): 2:21pm On Jan 13, 2008
@ V/Admiral

I'm a Burmese and I passed out in 92. 39 (RC) Army. So which course do you belong to?
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by VAdmiral(m): 4:02pm On Jan 13, 2008
Morning Sir!!!
Am 45RC Sir. Nice to meet you on nairaland sir!
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by bambash(m): 5:38pm On Jan 13, 2008
40 mi ni ni, ol boy wake up! That was a nice piece you wrote sha, you really spelt it out to them.
Its a pleasure meeting you here too.
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by donclemo(m): 6:20pm On Jan 13, 2008
V admiral morning sir! i was enlighteened about the military by ur wonderful note but i dont know if u could please advice me on this. I have apllied to NDA for the 57th-59th regular course but i was not given any admission and i have passed the required age for entry into NDA but i have gotten admission into a university pls i want to know the diff btw entring the army thru direct regular combatant course and the short service commision.

1 Like

Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by holywood(m): 10:53pm On Jan 13, 2008
@ Hart,
In the Nigeria military you can not resign like in the US Marine, you can only RETIRE! what that means is that there are certain number of years you are required to serve, and, if you get fed up shorty after you've joined and you begin to misbehave hoping to be dismissed, my brother you may be DISMISSED AND JAILED at the same time!. SO LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP. The Nigeria military is a VERY DISCIPLINED profession.
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by VAdmiral(m): 11:01pm On Jan 13, 2008
@Donclemo

Make your email available, i will spare some time to reach you personally with the information u need.

Thanks for your interest in our job!!!!!
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by VAdmiral(m): 11:12pm On Jan 13, 2008
@ holywood

You can resign, but with conditions bordering on a particular number of years u must compulsorily serve. But why resign? when your lenght of stay is short, unless you put in for extension, which would of course be granted most of the time.
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by banwo1(m): 12:20am On Jan 14, 2008
Friend, this particularly interests me cos i finished in skool wit a 3rd class and right now apart from my NYSC which i'm awaiting in february, i will love to enrol in a short service with NDA so as to 1. serve my fatherland, 2. spice up my CV, 3. pave way for my future political ambition as records shows dat most US presidents were one time in the army. so,i will advice u dat if d money(salary) is d paramount thing for u, sorry u 'll be dissappointed.
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by fsb(m): 4:30am On Jan 14, 2008
Hello Sirs? Anyone willing to help me out with my earlier question? I really really would appreciate any advice I get. Thanks!!!
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by VAdmiral(m): 12:58pm On Jan 14, 2008
Hi,

This is a very interesting thread. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone, preferably, serving men or women, would provide answers to 2 questions:

1. How difficult can it get gaining admission to the NDA for the short service (6months) program?
2. What are the prospects of a medical doctor joining the armed forces? Post grad training, renumeration, etc

I'll be happy if anyone could send me detailed info via email: k_adeniran2001@yahoo.com

Regards,
fsb

fsb, i dont really know what you mean by difficult. However, that term is relative. In the Nigerian context where so many other things come into play when looking for a job, apart from being qualified for it, the term 'difficult' can mean so many things. i will only advise that you make sure that you are well qualified according to the published criteria, then leave the rest to God. Some might say godfathers or better still 'Long legs'. But frankly you dont need to have one before you could be considered. Just dont be discouraged by what you see or hear. Some of us wouldnt be there now if we had listened to pessimists and detractors. I wish you good luck.

Secondly, YES Medical Doctors have a bright prospect in the armed forces. Infact the Medical Corp or Branch in general. We have quite a number of erudite, well-respected and result-oriented medical experts in the military. They are quite happy and their remuneration is quite juicy. They are paid as professionals, not necessarily as soldiers. At least no medical officer earns the same salary as his/her mates of the same rank in other branches, quote me. If you are a surgeon or resident doctor (I dont know all there terminologies), your pay is the bomb! I think all of them are paid according to WHO standard or something like that. So you have a lot to gain!

Possibility of Post graduate training, Another YES!!!. I know 2 of my contemporaries who are presently undergoing their PG or residency at LUTH as i speak right now, all expenses paid by the military. What more can you ask for? Hope u have caught my drift.
One Love.

1 Like

Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by Eseaba: 2:47pm On Jan 14, 2008
Love all contributions. Let us not be deceived, whether you call it SERVICE or CHARITY organization, PAY can't be ruled out. For those of you that thought I am after the PAY only, you didn't get it.
Know now: I have a good Job already as a Chartered Accountant. I have love for the uniform and privileges. My concern for the PAY is simple and cogent: I don't want to go below my present status.
Well I cherished Admiral for his contributions. I have made many enquiries. I will visit Bonny Camp this week to add to the info I have already. The major one I need now is the prospert. I mean the Highest Rank I may get to as an officer from Direct Service.

Thank you all for the contribution. More should come.
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by odiaseo(m): 3:21pm On Jan 14, 2008
The Nigerian Armed Forces and armed forces in general is a noble profession, but I must say that soldiers / officers are not given their merited recognition. what v/admiral said is correct and he spelt things out.

The poster talked about joining as a short service officer which is a different commission from a regular officer. Most people going into the armed officer don't realise this. Regular officers spend 5 years to get a commission while short service spend just 6-9 months.

As a short service officer, your service is short ,simple. You can be retired when your minimum services is over. Your promotion is not the same as a regular officer, and there are some appointments and postings you will only dream of getting but you will never get. Call it apertied or anything, that is the terms and conditions of the service you are about to join.

My question to the poster is what is your main reason for joining the armed forces.

From my experience as an officer and now as a civilian, feel free to join the military if

1. You love Nigeria and you want to serve the nation and pay the ultimate sacrifice if it happens
2. You do not have any personal ambition or business you hope to accomplish in your lifetime
3. You are ready to obey orders
4. You are physically fit to the job
5. You crave a disciplined and regimented live
5. You can't get a better job and the armed forces is your last option

But if you are
1. Academically sound, skillful with personal ambitions
2. Have a dream, vision and business to accomplish
3. Not willing to die for your country
4. Cannot live a restricted life
5. You want to create wealth for you family and future generations

please do not join the armed forces, you will get frustrated and live an unfulfilled life.

Generally, soldiers / officer are expected to live a decent life but not get rich. There are the possibilities that the sharp ones and godsons will be sent on foreign courses, and get some estacode once in a while but it won't make you wealthy. Those that are wealthy in the armed forces did not get their wealth legitimately. I'll live that there hoping you get the message.

So young man think very carefully, a lot of officers joined because of the glamour of the military regimes, now we have a democratic government so the military is back to the barracks.

2 Likes

Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by odiaseo(m): 3:30pm On Jan 14, 2008
@banwo1

It requires discipline, patrotisms and courage to stand out in the military. Just being in the military does not guarantee that you would have these characteristics. It must be in you, the military only draws it out.

You may have the wrong motive for joining the military, you shouldn't have a political ambition as a reason. You should be dedicated to serving you country and not spicing up your CV for political ambitions. If it does happens that you retire and do into politics, that's fine but it should not be your motivation.

Join the military with the mind to serve you country with all you have
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by odiaseo(m): 3:33pm On Jan 14, 2008
@v/admiral
who are mi now?
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by deor03(m): 3:54pm On Jan 14, 2008
I think the idea of short service is to serve the nation for a short time. I guess it is close to the idea of reserve troops in the US. Short service men by defination are supposed to have a short stinct with the military and go back to civilian lives. If you decide to convert to regular officers then it's a different ball game entirely.
If not for the high rate of unemployment in Nigeria i would have love to do it for 5 or 6 years and go back to my JOB.( though i am still considering it anyway)
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by creamdream: 7:32pm On Jan 14, 2008
@ ADMIRIAL
          Please i will like you to shed light on the following,
i have completed NYSC, i am interested in the Military, that is the short service
   1.How phisically tasking is the training
   2.what are the prospects of layers in the military
3.which arm do you see as best for me , considering my age and professional background
4.do you have any idea when the form will be out?
5. what does it take to gain admission? 6. can you do any private business  as a commissioned officer?  I AM DEAD SERIOUS ABOUT JOINING THE MILITARY,
        THANKS   my email is      mailkingskid@yahoo.com  phone 08064464711
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by creamdream: 7:34pm On Jan 14, 2008
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@ ADMIRIAL
    ,i have completed NYSC, i am interested in the Military, that is the short service
3.which arm do you see as best for me , considering my age and professional background
5. what does it take to gain admission? 6. can you do any private business  as a commissioned officer?  I AM DEAD SERIOUS ABOUT JOINING THE MILITARY,
        THANKS   my email is      mailkingskid@yahoo.com
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by creamdream: 7:34pm On Jan 14, 2008
'@ ADMIRIAL--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@ ADMIRIAL
   i have completed NYSC, i am interested in the Military, that is the short service
        THANKS   my email is      mailkingskid@yahoo.com
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by HeroKing: 8:39pm On Jan 14, 2008
Dear Nairalanders,

We have to commend V/Admiral for the wise expose, the matured way of writing and his dedication to his fatherland. I really commend the truhtfulness. He has said it all.

The military is not different from any other profession in terms of risk, challenges, transfers, benefits, rewards, etc.

Each prfoession has its own dose of risks, challenges frustrations and good moments. I am a banker. In my years of experience, I have seen several colleagues dying in the course of working. The location where I started banking experience (in Akure) had armed robbery iexperience in my first month of working. I have experienced wonderful rewards in the course of my duties. As regards family issues, you only need to know how to manage the issue. Plan your family, plan your life. Most working class professionals go through this experience.

Like V. Admiral, my family is sationed in Lagos, I have worked in several parts of Nigeria; like admiral said, you go here and there. My duties have taken me to several parts of the world and also of Nigeria. I am presently in Ghana on an international assignment, overseeing the activities of one of Nigeria's biggest banks in about 20 African countries. I still make time to attend to my family roles. My entire family has adjusted to it. If you think only of the challenges, you cannot climb any success ladder.

If it is posting, I have seen quite a few. Some Nairalanders do not know a town called Gbongan in Nigeria nor know Bangui, or Quagadougou, Conakry or a street called serekunda (in Gambia). I stand to be corrected, if you are in any profesion for about 5 years, ther is no way you will not be moved, either by promotion, relief assignments or whatever. They all come with challenges and their funs. Even your spouse could also be moved. So if you are transferred as GOC, Kaduna from a location in Lagos, would you not go? I can see many people giving testimonies in their churches or mosques!

The military is an enviable institution that I would advise a willing person to join. All over the world, they are respected men and women. I have friends there. In the course of my assignments, I have met very brilliant Nigerian officers and they are doing well.

I once had a small biz on broad street. One of my assitants there left for the US later on Visa lottery. She joined the US army and she is doing fine. We have many examples of very bright career officers.

I encourage the poster, please go and join, try to know your onions, learn and pay attention to learning, develop yourself. I don't know if you are aware that the military will encourage you to read to any level you so desire?

I hope these views are balanced enough for you to make up your mind.

Have a fun-filled career.

1 Like

Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by fsb(m): 11:21pm On Jan 14, 2008
V Admiral Sir,

Thank you very much for your reply. It was insightful and I would really appreciate good direction and advice from you about the service. I have included my email address in my last post. Please let's discuss, THANK YOU SIR!!!
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by VAdmiral(m): 12:58am On Jan 15, 2008
@v/admiral
who are mi now?

Oga Pele na me o! Obika. You just abandoned us and disappeared. We are finding it difficult to fill up the impression your footsteps left on the sands of the job. We are so happy for you that you took your destiny into your hands and finally found your God-given calling and vocation in life. I wish you good luck. Ikonne and the rest are all doing fine. Hope madam is fine. Meanwhile its a pleasure meeting you on nairaland. Your input was rather direct and truthful. ONCE A REGULAR, EVEN IN THE SWIMMING POOL OR KITCHEN, ALWAYS A REGULAR!!!!!!!!
We can get together, my email is below.

@ fsb

you can reach me on chimereahamefule@yahoo.com, we can discuss further on the issue.
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by VAdmiral(m): 1:07am On Jan 15, 2008
@ Odiaseo

Oga Pele, the postings on your blog are masterpieces!! Your ingenuity can never be hidden. Never knew you are a philosopher, writer, poet, and a whole lot rolled into one. You are really on fire. Those write-ups have breathed a fresh level of annointing into my marriage as i always forward them to my wife to share. Thank u sir!!!

We still miss u. You were a fine officer and a perfect gentleman.
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by ituen(m): 11:21am On Jan 15, 2008
Well done V/ Admiral

I have been wanting to join the navy but i wanted to get my masters before doing so. However you have spoken well and immediately i'm tru, i'll pick a short service form and experience life in the military
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by yemivictor: 12:39pm On Jan 15, 2008
@ V/Admiral,

Please i'd like to know if the NDA awards post-graduate degrees i.e. Masters. Since it is now being equated to a conventional university.

Secondly, you said somewhere in your previous post that you're now the envy of your contemporaries in the civil service (even those in the oil & gas sector) based on the new salary structure in the armed forces. Now, this got me curious as to your rank in the NN and commensurate salary! As your boasts in terms of remuneration in the NN and the armed forces in general runs contrary to what a close confidant tells me, whose dad happened to retire as a 2-star general in the NAF. Thank you!
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by toksdam(m): 1:08pm On Jan 15, 2008
my friend, cover up.
regular or d-regular.
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by Digiman(m): 9:06pm On Jan 15, 2008
To the original poster

If money is your motivation for wanting to join the armed forces then I can categorically tell you that you've got it wrong BIG time !

As some of the posters here have intimated, you join the armed forces because you are loyal to your country and you want to serve and protect your nation, you must be willing, dedicated and reliable in addition to being physically fit.

In the past, joining the armed forces was often a backup option for people. But these days, with the training, experience, and skills, the armed forces is a lot different than it once was. qualities and skills you gain in the armed forces can stay with you for a lifetime, and give you a leg up on a successful career.

What do you get out of it ?, well you get

Accomodation (sometimes free) if you choose to live in barracks

Free mdedical care

Free training (both military and vocational)

A monthly income

Pension

And most importantly you get to develop yourself as an individual, lean good leadership skills amongst other things which will come in handy when you go back to civillian life after your stint in the armed forces.

If you are hoping to join as a SSC and rise rapidly up the ranks to the point where you become a Field Marshal or Air Vice Marshall then forget it, SSC route assumes you already have some vocational training and so the armed forces will be more interested in you utilising those skills in the relevant areas rather than wasting time trying to mold you into an infantry soldier. I don't think after 4-5 years of higher education you would want to spend another 2-3 learning drill, weapons handling, obstacle courses, orienterring & navigation e.t.c., I believe only those who had the priviledge of going to Sandhurst in the 60's were the only few who reached such heights.

Leave the top notch jobs and roles for the career soldiers, they are more suited to them by way of their training and indoctrination.

I would rather have a regular combatant any day cool.

1 Like

Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by VAdmiral(m): 9:52pm On Jan 15, 2008
@ yemivictor

Secondly, you said somewhere in your previous post that you're now the envy of your contemporaries in the civil service (even those in the oil & gas sector) based on the new salary structure in the armed forces. Now, this got me curious as to your rank in the NN and commensurate salary! As your boasts in terms of remuneration in the NN and the armed forces in general runs contrary to what a close confidant tells me, whose dad happened to retire as a 2-star general in the NAF. Thank you!

Please, i dont fancy it when people quote me out of context. Take time and read my thread again and you will find where you have derailed and misunderstood me. Read and Read and read again, you might get my drift after that.

For the records, what i mean there is that i have a very good pay on ground and coupled with the importance and prestige people attach to the job, my contemporaries envy me. Mind you am a career regular combatant officer and am not here to compare pay packages of individual sectors. Come to think of it, do you think that it is every Tom, Dick and Harry that works in the Oil and Gas sector collects 'fat' pay just because the industry pays well? Wake up if you think so. Am presently working alongside them in the Niger Delta and i know better. Don't allow anybody to deceive you.

Lastly, you said a close confidant told you. Thank God you didnt say it is out of experience. When you are re-echoing what someone told you be careful, except you are the one directly involved, then you can speak with authority. Try and research well on issues before u type. Dont use hearsay to form an opinion, especially where learned and experienced people are within a whispering distance.

Thanks for listening!

ONE LOVE, though!
Re: Salary In The Nigerian Army? by Eseaba: 8:31am On Jan 16, 2008
Shun sirs,
V/admiral, and other Officers on board, this discussion is getting more exciting and I am getting to love and appreciate Uniform Life more.

V/admiral, please I want more clarifications of some issues. Before then, know now that I am a Chartered Accountant. I am satisfactorily employed as an Internal Auditor in a reputable company.

Officer inform me with the following:
1. As a Direct Service officer, what is the Highest Rank I can get to?
2. What is required minimum year(s) of service I can get to before I can resign?
or can I resign anytime if I desire?
3. How is life in Jaji camp?
4. As a married person, if I quit my job to attend training at Jaji, will I receive
allowance(PAY) at the camp to cater for my family?What measure?
5. V/admiral, can I reach you on phone? Send phone number to my
email:saint_mao@yahoo.com

Thank you sir.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Any HSE Professionals In The House? / How Much Is Level 8/2 Based On New Salary Structure? / Has Any Federal Civil Servant Received The New Minimum Wage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.