Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,779 members, 7,802,395 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:41 PM

Can You Allow Your Kids Learn And Speak The Dialect Of Your Place Of Origin? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Can You Allow Your Kids Learn And Speak The Dialect Of Your Place Of Origin? (874 Views)

Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). / Igbo Bia Suọ Olu Inyì :: Come And Speak Your Dialects / Nigerians Speak The Best Pidgin In The Whole Of Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Allow Your Kids Learn And Speak The Dialect Of Your Place Of Origin? by Nobody: 11:11am On Sep 16, 2012
The world is fast changing and the third world countries are trying to meet the pace of dynamism. Though English language is the official language of Nigeria, some parents have deemed it necessary to strictly confined their kids to speaking it, in neglect of their dialects. Dialects are looked upon by the young generations with resentment so much that it's worth praying for not to go into oblivion. Thus a question posed to nairalanders. Can you allow your kids learn and speak the dialect of your place of origin?[img][/img]
Re: Can You Allow Your Kids Learn And Speak The Dialect Of Your Place Of Origin? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 9:42pm On Sep 16, 2012
Absolutely! Matter of fact I think any parent that don't want their children to learn and speak their language is an embarassment to the place of their origin.
Re: Can You Allow Your Kids Learn And Speak The Dialect Of Your Place Of Origin? by slimyem: 10:09pm On Sep 16, 2012
I don't know yet..
The kind of accent my dialect has on one's tongue is unrivalled!
I might make them learn and understand but not speak!
I learnt my dialect from hearing my parents speak and i understand perfectly but i'm glad i didn't speak it as a child....it would have destroyed my ministry!cheesy

1 Like

Re: Can You Allow Your Kids Learn And Speak The Dialect Of Your Place Of Origin? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Sep 16, 2012
Tolaaaaannni: Absolutely! Matter of fact I think any parent that don't want their children to learn and speak their language is an embarassment to the place of their origin.
Excellent opinion. Noted
Re: Can You Allow Your Kids Learn And Speak The Dialect Of Your Place Of Origin? by Nobody: 10:17pm On Sep 16, 2012
slimyem: I don't know yet..
The kind of accent my dialect has on one's tongue is unrivalled!
I might make them learn and understand but not speak!
I learnt my dialect from hearing my parents speak and i understand perfectly but i'm glad i didn't speak it as a child....it would have destroyed my ministry!cheesy
Your ministry? Lol cheesy
Re: Can You Allow Your Kids Learn And Speak The Dialect Of Your Place Of Origin? by slimyem: 10:23pm On Sep 16, 2012
jami3y:
Your ministry? Lol cheesy
yes o..
My misistry is attached to my voice...cheesycheesycheesy
Re: Can You Allow Your Kids Learn And Speak The Dialect Of Your Place Of Origin? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Sep 16, 2012
slimyem: yes o..
My misistry is attached to my voice...cheesycheesycheesy
I can imagine smiley
Re: Can You Allow Your Kids Learn And Speak The Dialect Of Your Place Of Origin? by Acidosis(m): 10:36pm On Sep 16, 2012
Tolaaaaannni: Absolutely! Matter of fact I think any parent that don't want their children to learn and speak their language is an embarassment to the place of their origin.
God bless you.

@topic
Virtually all the kids & teens around here were trained with that language called english. You need to hear them speak..
Bad spoken english.. horrible, terrible and terrifying.
Most times I correct their silly mistakes using the english terms and accent my parents never taught me.
You dare not learn that language from your father who is a trained engineer, or your civil-servant mum! All they think about is money, more money, salary increment, promotion et al.. not some structural lexis from "brighter grammar".
Mind you, these guys do well on paper but they are still finding it very difficult to guide their speech/spoken words from mistakes.
I'll always preach this: learning your own indigenous language will not affect your performance on other languages, not even the accent.
The ability to blend is the most important thing!
Re: Can You Allow Your Kids Learn And Speak The Dialect Of Your Place Of Origin? by Acidosis(m): 10:45pm On Sep 16, 2012
..well except in some cases like,
Inter-state marriage, or Tribal differences i.e couples of different tribe. . .and am sure this act emanated from such instances before some ignoramus couples of same tribe picked it..
Re: Can You Allow Your Kids Learn And Speak The Dialect Of Your Place Of Origin? by odumchi: 12:38am On Sep 17, 2012

I couldn't have said it any better.
Re: Can You Allow Your Kids Learn And Speak The Dialect Of Your Place Of Origin? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:21am On Sep 17, 2012
Allow?? I can think about whether or not I will allow them to speak English every now and then, but there is no "allow" when it comes to the native language. They will grow up speaking the language, because it is the way I will communicate with them.

1 Like

Re: Can You Allow Your Kids Learn And Speak The Dialect Of Your Place Of Origin? by tpia5: 2:08am On Sep 17, 2012
not sure people are understanding the op.

s/he is referring to the local dialect/s of your place/s of origin, not the general standard language.
Re: Can You Allow Your Kids Learn And Speak The Dialect Of Your Place Of Origin? by Nobody: 2:30am On Sep 17, 2012
OF COURSE!

They will learn English and Patois.
If their father is from a different background than I, they will learn his language too.

In fact I would encourage them to learn as many dialects/languages as they can. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Three Children Without Bride Price.family Refused Burial / Origin Of Some Everyday Gestures / America 237 Independence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.