Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,984 members, 7,806,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:39 AM

Are You a Geek? [The New Geeks] - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Are You a Geek? [The New Geeks] (1295 Views)

Where Is That Female Geek: Any Good Female Developer Around? / Why You Should Date A Geek / Pros And Cons Of Dating A Programmer Or Just A Geek (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You a Geek? [The New Geeks] by kodewrita(m): 5:39pm On Aug 02, 2005
I watched a show on CNN that was talking about the New Geek. You might be surprised.

Old geeks:  Stay in their rooms playing games all day and have bad social skills. Are usually dressed in a nerdy way

New geeks: Are very passionate about their hobbies and spend time, effort and money on the hobby.  Are not neccessarily nerdy but they are independent and not afraid to stand out in a crowd.  They are media sophisticates and read a lot: magazines, TV, blogs, discussion boards etc

Statistics(UK): 78% of them are married. As a group they are worth $11.8 billion. They are within the 18-44 age bracket.

So the question is this, are you a geek?
Re: Are You a Geek? [The New Geeks] by c0dec(m): 6:03pm On Aug 02, 2005
the geek name has lost it's value. sad.
Re: Are You a Geek? [The New Geeks] by hotangel2(f): 4:52am On Aug 03, 2005
Psssh.. the new geek is cool. Am i one?? ehh.. i can't be anything Geek.
Re: Are You a Geek? [The New Geeks] by timba(m): 1:55pm On Aug 03, 2005
What would you call a geek born in Greece?
Re: Are You a Geek? [The New Geeks] by hotangel2(f): 7:22pm On Aug 03, 2005
A Greek. I know I am right. cheesy
Re: Are You a Geek? [The New Geeks] by timba(m): 10:23am On Aug 04, 2005
Yeah that's right! grin
Re: Are You a Geek? [The New Geeks] by kazey(m): 3:11pm On Aug 04, 2005
Wetin be geek?

I be Kayode o.
Re: Are You a Geek? [The New Geeks] by IAH(f): 2:30pm On Aug 10, 2005
To me, Seun and Kazey are geeks!
Re: Are You a Geek? [The New Geeks] by hotangel2(f): 4:35am On Aug 11, 2005
haha @ IAH.
Re: Are You a Geek? [The New Geeks] by tunku(m): 4:46pm On Sep 19, 2005
I am definitely old geek, and I have to say most of the people who replied to this from their room should consider themselves old geek, unless they are posting from some internet cafe and actually paying ten naira per hour to do so. Therefore proving that the old geek never dies it is just accomodating itself to new modes of experession.
Re: Are You a Geek? [The New Geeks] by kodewrita(m): 2:34pm On Sep 20, 2005
@tunku then that makes me a new one cos i am replying to the post from a cafe pc.
Re: Are You a Geek? [The New Geeks] by PaypalGod(m): 12:50pm On Oct 20, 2005
I am replying from my mobile phone. What type of geek does that make me? Old, new, or advanced
Re: Are You a Geek? [The New Geeks] by WesleyanA(f): 1:25am On Dec 04, 2005
PaypalGod:

I am replying from my mobile phone. What type of geek does that make me? Old, new, or advanced

none of the above.
Re: Are You a Geek? [The New Geeks] by ENGRNDU: 5:34am On Nov 11, 2009
I m ndu-tech, new to dis cyt pls i don't kn what u mean by a geek.
Re: Are You a Geek? [The New Geeks] by candylips(m): 4:24pm On Nov 13, 2009
@topic

you have to be very smart, love playing video games and code in c/c++ before you can be called a geek
Re: Are You a Geek? [The New Geeks] by Nobody: 9:47am On Nov 15, 2009
I am not a geek. I spend more time with my girlfriend/partying/silverbird than the time i spend coding!
Re: Are You a Geek? [The New Geeks] by candylips(m): 3:22pm On Nov 15, 2009
^^^ exactly
Re: Are You a Geek? [The New Geeks] by AjanleKoko: 10:02am On Nov 16, 2009
Definitely I would refer to myself as a new geek.
I'm well within the age bracket, am married, and passionate about anything wired or wireless. In fact, that's what I do for a living.
Spent the first five to six years of my career as a software engineer (don't like the term coder), and now design tech products and services full-time.
Re: Are You a Geek? [The New Geeks] by kodewrita(m): 7:59pm On Nov 21, 2009
Good for you. In my own case, i am now quite rich n more social but still pinging for the "Lady in Question". Hope my request doesnt timeout. Nice one.

(1) (Reply)

I Need Help On Programming / Let's Code / The Beauty & Power Of JavaScript: "Hello World" Code As A Case Study

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.