Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,557 members, 7,809,031 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:27 PM

Somali Food! - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Somali Food! (34495 Views)

Somali And Korean Wedding! (korean Dude And Somali Princess) / The Somali/ethiopian People / Ask A Muslim/somali (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Somali Food! by Fulaman198(m): 8:10pm On Sep 17, 2012
somalia5:

dude we got samboos that we got from indians but we changed it up...every country has cultural foods from neighboring foods...do you thing somalis want to be arab that they start eating what arabs eat..lmao

we dont eat hummus and alot of arab things. somalis like arabs are mostly nomads once upon a time...and because our climate is dry dessert the same foods that grow in the middl east also grow in somalia.

somalis eat some foods that ethiopians eat. also dont forget ethiopians, somalis, arabs, all have been trading for thousands of years.

i know somalis got the bannana from malaysia. we got some of the clothing style from india, we got some loan words from yemen (arab words).

so its more of trade than wanting to be arab. if we wanted to be arab, we would all speak arabic, instead less than 1 percent of somalis speak arab.

Where I am from the climate is quite dry as well, the same things that live in the middle east can live in the Sahel/Southern Sahara, however we do not eat Arab food. We eat food that is strictly Fulani (or other African ethnic groups - Touareg dishes, Hausa dishes, we even eat some Yoruba, Igbo, and other Southern Nigerian dishes). Fulani really do not discriminate against food so to say, you just won't find us eating things like dog, pork (haram), we don't drink alcohol, etc.

It's hard to say where some West African food came from regional wise. Jaloff rice for example must have been brought by the Fulani to Nigeria because it is originally from Senegambia. Ogbono soup I believe is Igbo.

Also, you pride yourself about being nomads, my group is the [b]largest[/b] nomadic group in the world. I won't judge but some ethnic groups even eat Camel meat which I personally find odd.
Re: Somali Food! by Fulaman198(m): 8:12pm On Sep 17, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
That shit looks nassy. No damn wonder only Somalians be in the Somalian cafes! grin grin grin grin grin

I would rather eat some of the Nigerian food then Somalian food any day.

Somalian food doesn't look bad based on the pictures (I'm sure it tastes good), it just looks really unhealthy and capable of giving someone a heart attack. It kind of reminds me of Chinese food (minus the pork and other stuff). There seems to be a lot of fried things. We have similar food in Nigeria, but not in this quantity lol.
Re: Somali Food! by BlackKenichi(m): 8:17pm On Sep 17, 2012
Guys (and gals) If you want to talk about different African foods and cuisine, I've made a thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/1051018/african-cuisine
Give a brotha a little input would ya!? smiley
Re: Somali Food! by somalia5: 8:24pm On Sep 17, 2012
somali food tastes way better...90 percent of our food is unique to us somalis...the rest we share with arabs, malaysians, indians and ethiopians.

somali food below

Re: Somali Food! by Fulaman198(m): 8:47pm On Sep 17, 2012
I like food in general, I don't care what culture it comes from, as long as it tastes good and isn't pork I am happy

1 Like

Re: Somali Food! by somalia5: 11:58pm On Sep 17, 2012
Fulaman198: I like food in general, I don't care what culture it comes from, as long as it tastes good and isn't pork I am happy

our peace treaty needs to be resigned, the 30 day peace treaty ends tonight.
Re: Somali Food! by kandiikane(m): 12:32am On Sep 18, 2012
Sybellah:

loool u mean this?

Hell no lol! I know some pple who eat it like snacks and say it's delishis smiley

Lol yep.
somalia5:

ever though maybe we have alot in common with arabs such as religion.

religion which determines alot of morals and cultural practices.

most countries that are muslim dominated have similarities with middle east let alone the somalis who live near them, study at islamic universities and who live in middle east by million
Dude sharrap! It's obvious you're dying to be arab. I just want to know why you haven't moved across yet
Re: Somali Food! by somalia5: 12:38am On Sep 18, 2012
kandiikane:

Lol yep.

Dude sharrap! It's obvious you're dying to be arab. I just want to know why you have moved across yet. cheesy

we are not arab. Somalis who are arab league member still claim somali.

one of the national langues is arab and somali. yet we say we are somali.

unlike north africans, sudanese, we somalis dont identify ourselfs as arabs.

we also dont call ourselves black.

alot of this similarities has to do with trade. also the only arabs somalis have common culture with is somali arabs and Yemenis.

we dont share much cultural ties with other arabs. Also Egypt and Saudi Arabia sponsor alot of somalis to study in the universities and islamic schools so that plays a role to
Re: Somali Food! by MrsChima(f): 12:49am On Sep 18, 2012
Unhealthy or not...I still will choose some of Nigerian dishes over Somalian dishes ALTOGETHER.
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 1:09am On Sep 18, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
Unhealthy or not...I still will choose some of Nigerian dishes over Somalian dishes ALTOGETHER.

where have you been young lady? angry
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 1:35am On Sep 18, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
That shit looks nassy. No damn wonder only Somalians be in the Somalian cafes! grin grin grin grin grin

I would rather eat some of the Nigerian food then Somalian food any day.

chima were you serious? grin

https://www.nairaland.com/1048141/women-now-allowed-drive-car#12182614
Re: Somali Food! by somalia5: 2:03am On Sep 18, 2012
*Kails*:

chima were you serious? grin

https://www.nairaland.com/1048141/women-now-allowed-drive-car#12182614

i wana eat u. how does bantu pussssssy taste?
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 2:23am On Sep 18, 2012
somalia5:

i wana eat u. how does bantu pussssssy taste?

smh.
You need prayer.
Re: Somali Food! by somalia5: 2:39am On Sep 18, 2012
*Kails*:

smh.
You need prayer.

i might see the holy ghost after getting done eatin u
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 3:31am On Sep 18, 2012
what is wrong with you? undecided undecided
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 3:33am On Sep 18, 2012
Fulaman198:

Where I am from the climate is quite dry as well, the same things that live in the middle east can live in the Sahel/Southern Sahara, however we do not eat Arab food. We eat food that is strictly Fulani (or other African ethnic groups - Touareg dishes, Hausa dishes, we even eat some Yoruba, Igbo, and other Southern Nigerian dishes). Fulani really do not discriminate against food so to say, you just won't find us eating things like dog, pork (haram), we don't drink alcohol, etc.

It's hard to say where some West African food came from regional wise. Jaloff rice for example must have been brought by the Fulani to Nigeria because it is originally from Senegambia. Ogbono soup I believe is Igbo.

Also, you pride yourself about being nomads, my group is the [b]largest[/b] nomadic group in the world. I won't judge but some ethnic groups even eat Camel meat which I personally find odd.

if fulani food generally spicy or sweet? cheesy
Re: Somali Food! by Fulaman198(m): 3:40am On Sep 18, 2012
*Kails*:

hmm depends on the food really, some is spicy, and some are sweet.

Jaloff rice can be spicy depending on how you make it, also Fulani couscous can be very spicy too.

Our deserts based on our milk can be very sweet.

We also have a special tea that we got from the neighbouring Touareg, which is the tea with mint, Fulani milk, and dates (raisins). I love it.
Re: Somali Food! by sambos994(m): 3:42am On Sep 18, 2012
Fulaman198:

hmm depends on the food really, some is spicy, and some are sweet.

Jaloff rice can be spicy depending on how you make it, also Fulani couscous can be very spicy too.

Our deserts based on our milk can be very sweet.

We also have a special tea that we got from the neighbouring Touareg, which is the tea with mint, Fulani milk, and dates (raisins). I love it.

Please tell me u drink garri.
Re: Somali Food! by somalia5: 3:48am On Sep 18, 2012
i still wana kno how bantu pussy taste?
Re: Somali Food! by sambos994(m): 3:50am On Sep 18, 2012
somalia5: i still wana kno how bantu pussy taste?

Disgusting sonavabitch...smh
Re: Somali Food! by somalia5: 3:52am On Sep 18, 2012
sambos994:

Disgusting sonavabitch...smh

does it smell like chicken and watermelon?
Re: Somali Food! by Fulaman198(m): 4:35am On Sep 18, 2012
sambos994:

Please tell me u drink garri.

I do, but I don't drink it as much as I drink Kossam grin
Re: Somali Food! by somalia6: 10:32am On Sep 18, 2012
smiley

some one is too friendly with ban button
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 10:33am On Sep 18, 2012
Stupid undecided
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 11:54am On Sep 18, 2012
undecided

It appears to be that Mr. Cork's record is being threatened.

Na wa.

1 Like

Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 4:13pm On Sep 18, 2012
Even that guy knows fufu is the best grin
lol @ the other guy face expression

Re: Somali Food! by JallowBah(f): 4:24pm On Sep 18, 2012
*Kails*:

In Gambia, its almost always spicy. Almost to the point where I can not eat ittongue

But the attaya-tea/coffee is too damn sweet. Bah, it makes your teeth go brown in TWO months.
Re: Somali Food! by Fulaman198(m): 8:40pm On Sep 18, 2012
JallowBah:

In Gambia, its almost always spicy. Almost to the point where I can not eat ittongue

But the attaya-tea/coffee is too damn sweet. Bah, it makes your teeth go brown in TWO months.

Keep those teeth in shape lol Fulani people have white teeth grin
Re: Somali Food! by JallowBah(f): 8:43pm On Sep 18, 2012
Fulaman198:

Keep those teeth in shape lol Fulani people have white teeth grin

Haha, thats why I had to stop the attayatongue

1 Like

Re: Somali Food! by sambos994(m): 9:34pm On Sep 18, 2012
Sybellah: Even that guy knows fufu is the best grin
lol @ the other guy face expression

Chei! Even licking his fingers.

1 Like

Re: Somali Food! by JallowBah(f): 9:36pm On Sep 18, 2012
sambos994:

Chei! Even licking his fingers.

Why do african people seem to think white people never eat dinner with their hands, and; even lick their fingers..?tongue
Re: Somali Food! by sambos994(m): 9:40pm On Sep 18, 2012
JallowBah:

Why do african people seem to think white people never eat dinner with their hands, and; even lick their fingers..?tongue

No, no, no...as in I should be licking that soup off MY fingers. So hungry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Pictures Of Lagos Carnival And Water Regatta 2015 / Ooni Of Ife Hosts Emir Of Kano Lamido Sanusi In His Palace In Osun State. Photos / Ooni Ogunwusi Observing Eld Prayers In Ile-Ife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.