Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,465 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:23 PM

Do You Believe In Rain Makers - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Believe In Rain Makers (1603 Views)

Do You Believe In Gender Equality? If Yes/no, Why? / Do You Believe In These Superstitions? / Do You Believe In African Bullet Proof? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Believe In Rain Makers by alphaconde(m): 1:06pm On Sep 17, 2012
Hi Nairalanders,
Am really puzzled with the actions of these people who call themselves rain makers: those persons who can cause rain at the instance and can also stop rain as the case maybe. People patronize them @ occasion to help keep the weather clement. My problem is that does the rain answer them or its purely magical or they have studied and understand weather and as such can manipulate or determine it. Want to hear your opinions on this. Meanwhile I have seen some actions of these pple which keeps me confused.
Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by mkmyers45(m): 1:39pm On Sep 17, 2012
Its all a sham...I dare any rainmaker to go to sahara desert and make it rain grin grin...How can you be a rain maker in a rainforest with 9-10 months wet season?

2 Likes

Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:41pm On Sep 17, 2012
if done in the right ritual and context, a rain can be brought about by influencing the Spiritual Forces. it is very common in Traditional Religions all over the world. i have bor witness on many such occassion.
Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by mkmyers45(m): 1:44pm On Sep 17, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
if done in the right ritual and context, a rain can be brought about by influencing the Spiritual Forces. it is very common in Traditional Religions all over the world. i have bor witness on many such occassion.

A'ina? Rainy or Dry Season?
Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:46pm On Sep 17, 2012
mkmyers45:

A'ina? Rainy or Dry Season?

dry season. or sometimes in rainy season when it is late or fails completely as of drought.

why would anyone in their right mind, invoke the Spirits during the rains

but ofcourse, you cant just call for rains just for fun, during the winter, say. there should be a purpose (conext) to do it. generally for farming uses.
Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by mkmyers45(m): 1:54pm On Sep 17, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

dry season. or sometimes in rainy season when it is late or fails completely as of drought.

why would anyone in their right mind, invoke the Spirits during the rains

but ofcourse, you cant just call for rains just for fun, during the winter, say. there should be a purpose (conext) to do it. generally for farming uses.

I am sorry but rainmaking is all washy...Indeed critical study of African and Other Culture show that starvation and drought is a constant problems of civilizations e.g Mayans upon all thier rainmakers and gods
Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by CrazyMan(m): 1:58pm On Sep 17, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
Really? Where exactly did that happen I'd like to know.

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by Nobody: 2:10pm On Sep 17, 2012
mkmyers45: Its all a sham...I dare any rainmaker to go to sahara desert and make it rain grin grin...How can you be a rain maker in a rainforest with 9-10 months wet season?

Gbam!! I agree with your there joor
Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:20pm On Sep 17, 2012
mkmyers45:

I am sorry but rainmaking is all washy...Indeed critical study of African and Other Culture show that starvation and drought is a constant problems of civilizations e.g Mayans upon all thier rainmakers and gods

starvation and drought has not been very consistent among African societies in past years. it is only now that we here the problem escalating so drastically. what about the Mayans they had one of the most thriving agro-based economy compared with all other american civilizations.

CrazyMan:
Really? Where exactly did that happen I'd like to know.

i have seen this on many occassions. the last one i saw as when i went on a business visit to India and a tribal friend of mine informed me about this rain ritual. so i went there in a day-long journey and i wtnessed this act where they marry 2 frogs to each other as part of the ritual and they sacrifice animals (fowl birds to be precise) and do some chanting, mostly involving apeasement of Spiritual forces and pleas f forgiveness.

and it did rain the next day in showers.

another one was the Kilumi rain ritual near Embu Kenya which is much more complex than the one done by these Indian tribals. this one i more structured and there are more elements in it.
Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by mkmyers45(m): 2:27pm On Sep 17, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

starvation and drought has not been very consistent among African societies in past years. it is only now that we here the problem escalating so drastically. what about the Mayans they had one of the most thriving agro-based economy compared with all other american civilizations.

What ended the civilization? Starvation and Drought of course contributed..remember they lived around lowlands
Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by Areaboy2(m): 2:41pm On Sep 17, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

i have seen this on many occassions. the last one i saw as when i went on a business visit to India and a tribal friend of mine informed me about this rain ritual. so i went there in a day-long journey and i wtnessed this act where they marry 2 frogs to each other as part of the ritual and they sacrifice animals (fowl birds to be precise) and do some chanting, mostly involving apeasement of Spiritual forces and pleas f forgiveness.

and it did rain the next day in showers. <-------

another one was the Kilumi rain ritual near Embu Kenya which is much more complex than the one done by these Indian tribals. this one i more structured and there are more elements in it.

Come on man, don't dissapoint me.

It rained the next day and you can attribute it to the silly rituals made?

A sound meteorologist can make it rain too (given that he chooses the date)

Abeg! the whole thing is rubbish. Similar to charms to resist gunshots. Simple Black and white hogwash undecided
Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:43pm On Sep 17, 2012
mkmyers45:

What ended the civilization? Starvation and Drought of course contributed..remember they lived around lowlands

The Mayan Cilization was like an Ancient version of hina. they wanted to expand and develop and grow at any cost. The most widely accepted of theories on the collapse of the Mayan Civilization is a peasant revolt. The hierarchy of the Maya was completely dependent on bonded labor. The people of most power were nobles and priests. These higher classes were often rich in power and wealth, but few in number. In city after city the ruling group was driven out or, more probably, massacred by the dependent peasant, and power then passed to the peasant leaders and small-town witch town".

Another accepted theory about the end of the civilization is that the Mayans abused their land in trying to produce agriculture, and this lead to a lack of resources. Soil exhaustion, water loss and erosion were some of the consequences to the Mayans' chosen agricultural techniques. The Mayans also used a slash and burn method of clearing the forest in order to produce ground for crop growing. This extremely wasteful method created a lack of natural food for the local wildlife and forced migration and scattering.

so it was not drought or stravation that killed them. it was their own faults and short-commings, which is expected in such a large Empire. they took things a bit too far in a short time. this killed them.

anyways the Mayans still survive to this day. below: Dr. Francisco Epigmenio Luna Kan, first full-blooded Yucatec Mayan Governor of Yucatan Province, since the spanish conquest.

Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by Areaboy2(m): 2:49pm On Sep 17, 2012
^^

Still doesn't prove rain making though
Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:56pm On Sep 17, 2012
Area_boy: ^^

Still doesn't prove rain making though

lol i am not here to prove anything. i just made a statement on my views. if you want proof you must witness one.
Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by CrazyMan(m): 3:28pm On Sep 17, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

and it did rain the next day in showers.

That still doesn't prove that the rain came as a result of the rituals performed by those uneducated bush people.

My questions...

1. What was the weather report in the area before the ritual?

2. Was the ritual performed during rainy season, if yes, then its a folly.

3. Did they predict the exact time (clock time e.g it would rain 2pm) the rain would fall the following day? If no, then I'm afraid you were fooled.

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by alphaconde(m): 4:18pm On Sep 17, 2012
In the year 2002 we had our grand mums burial in the village and it was december 22nd since I was born I hv never seen rain around that period. So during the burial they ( the rainmakers in the village ) came around and demanded to be settled, when they where refused in a few minutes it started to shower. An elder uncle of mine had to pay them off and after then the clouds were clear and sunny. This was the instance where I began to believe.

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by God2man(m): 7:08pm On Sep 17, 2012
alpha conde: In the year 2002 we had our grand mums burial in the village and it was december 22nd since I was born I hv never seen rain around that period. So during the burial they ( the rainmakers in the village ) came around and demanded to be settled, when they where refused in a few minutes it started to shower. An elder uncle of mine had to pay them off and after then the clouds were clear and sunny. This was the instance where I began to believe.

it is not impossible. Strange things happen in this world. There are many hidden things we still need to know.

May God open our spiritual eyes.

God2man.
Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:02pm On Sep 17, 2012
CrazyMan:
That still doesn't prove that the rain came as a result of the rituals performed by those uneducated bush people.

My questions...

1. What was the weather report in the area before the ritual?

2. Was the ritual performed during rainy season, if yes, then its a folly.

3. Did they predict the exact time (clock time e.g it would rain 2pm) the rain would fall the following day? If no, then I'm afraid you were fooled.

i said before i cant really prove it. you must see it yoursef.

my replies...

1. no idea as to exact details but the areas were generally not experiencing rainfall at the suitable time for long almost 2-3 weeks.

2. no it wasnt. the one in Kenya though was at a time of relative drought during normal rainy season.

3. no there was no prediction as to exact time in both cases. the rain was expected the next day (i.e, by early dawn) after the ritual.(1st case
not sure about the 2nd case.
Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:03pm On Sep 17, 2012
btw which baboon moved this to culture it is religion! angry
Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by nyameke: 9:07pm On Sep 17, 2012
It's really not " magical " if you understand the science and process behind rain making..it is all mental work and seeks to manipulate the environment and shift reality using mental power... You don't have to be a voodoo priest or pastor to be able to do these things..
Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by Ptolomeus(m): 9:32pm On Sep 17, 2012
God2man:

it is not impossible. Strange things happen in this world. There are many hidden things we still need to know.

May God open our spiritual eyes.

God2man.
Yes, dear friend ...
Olóorún and Orisa and open our spiritual eyes ...
Esu, the great communicator, allow us to understand!
Alaafia!
Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:09am On Sep 18, 2012
nyameke: It's really not " magical " if you understand the science and process behind rain making..it is all mental work and seeks to manipulate the environment and shift reality using mental power... You don't have to be a voodoo priest or pastor to be able to do these things..

can you please explain the above bolded? infact your explanation is very accurate. it is what Pagan religions are about. on how to concentrate on a particular Spiritual Force and influence it. That is why we have so many Gods/Spirits.
Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by Nobody: 2:14am On Sep 18, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
btw which baboon moved this to culture it is religion! angry

grin
Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by Nobody: 2:55pm On Sep 18, 2012
Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by odumchi: 11:26pm On Sep 18, 2012
They're as real as rain itself.

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by nyameke: 2:10pm On Sep 20, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

can you please explain the above bolded? infact your explanation is very accurate. it is what Pagan religions are about. on how to concentrate on a particular Spiritual Force and influence it. That is why we have so many Gods/Spirits.
I didn't see this earlier but what I meant in simple terms was that rain making (a form of psychokinesis)like all real magic phenomenon involves nothing but the use of the MIND.. The rituals and ceremonies are nothing but props and actually unnecessary...

Btw not just pagan religions but all religious( christianity, Hinduism, Islam etc ) so called magical phenomena all involves use of the mind/spiritual to influence other spiritual forces.. The secret ingredient to all magical deeds are focus/ concentration and the most important factor FAITH.

Let me also add that most of the so called Gods of pagan religions are most times not gods at all but higher energies/ frequencies or spiritual forces in a fourth dimensional world
Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:19pm On Sep 20, 2012
nyameke: I didn't see this earlier but what I meant in simple terms was that rain making (a form of psychokinesis)like all real magic phenomenon involves nothing but the use of the MIND.. The rituals and ceremonies are nothing but props and actually unnecessary...

Btw not just pagan religions but all religious( christianity, Hinduism, Islam etc ) so called magical phenomena all involves use of the mind/spiritual to influence other spiritual forces.. The secret ingredient to all magical deeds are focus/ concentration and the most important factor FAITH.

Let me also add that most of the so called Gods of pagan religions are most times not gods at all but higher energies/ frequencies or spiritual forces in a fourth dimensional world

magic my friend has no use of mind. it is plain illusion and trickery. this is the difference between (Pagan) religion and magic.

chrsistiaity/islam dont have spirituality and christianity is just man worship.

your last point is interesting and again partially accurate. have you noticed how i refer to Gods as spiritual forces. the re parallel entities to material beings. to compare a God with that of a human, (like for example, musims/xtians say God created man in his image) is WRONG!

but wat you said above has so far no scientific explanation. The Gods are different transcedental SPiritual FOrces that govern the Universe. (Pagan) Religion exists to try to influence these Spiritual forces (in the form of appeasment/rituals, etc.). unlike the christian God, you cannot love a Pagan God. you only revere, respect and try to have your lives influenced accordingly by The Gods. we have many Gods, because different Gods/ Forces govern different spheres of nature/life/being itself.

your very definition of God is wrong. Our Gods are not the same as christian Gods. Our Gods are connected to use and the material & siritual world is inseparable.
Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by kengis: 7:16pm On Sep 20, 2012
If I was asked years ago ,I would be like hell NO but now thet I did witness it ,it's another story ...
Re: Do You Believe In Rain Makers by nyameke: 10:07pm On Sep 20, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

magic my friend has no use of mind. it is plain illusion and trickery. this is the difference between (Pagan) religion and magic
ok im not talking about "magic" for entertainment purposes or trickery. Magick or real magic is what im talking about, and yes it is all mental work.

chrsistiaity/islam dont have spirituality and christianity is just man worship.
what spirituality are you talking about? and how is christianity just man worship?

your last point is interesting and again partially accurate. have you noticed how i refer to Gods as spiritual forces. the re parallel entities to material beings. to compare a God with that of a human, (like for example, musims/xtians say God created man in his image) is WRONG!
1.there is nothing wrong with referring to gods as spiritual forces because that's what we all are. we are all spiritual beings/forces having a human experience and thus we are all gods.
2.understand that every human being is an individuated aspect of the ONE GOD.but your second statement tells me that you don't really know who you are. I will let you explain why you think it is wrong to compare God with a human though before we move on.

but wat you said above has so far no scientific explanation. The Gods are different transcedental SPiritual FOrces that govern the Universe. (Pagan) Religion exists to try to influence these Spiritual forces (in the form of appeasment/rituals, etc.). unlike the christian God, you cannot love a Pagan God. you only revere, respect and try to have your lives influenced accordingly by The Gods. we have many Gods, because different Gods/ Forces govern different spheres of nature/life/being itself.
1.The "gods" are not different from you at all like you think and they do not govern anything. like i said some of the so called gods of pagan religion are actually not spiritual beings at all. eg there is nothing like god of the sun, of harvest, of thunder, of death etc.
2. what are these spiritual forces that you keep talking about because we might be talking about different things.
3.why would anyone want to have their life influenced by the gods? Even God does not influence anyone but gives you the power to choose him or reject him as aa created volitional creature. so why let another created creature like you influence you? let me tell you why you are here bro. you as a free will spiritual being manifested in human form is here to live your life the way you deem fit and experience this physical focus and then disengage when you're ready. people and other spiritual beings have power over you and thus influence you based on the power that you give them.

your very definition of God is wrong. Our Gods are not the same as christian Gods.Our Gods are connected to use and the material & siritual world is inseparable
1.I don't remember defining God in my post? btw there is nothing like christian gods. There is only One true God period.
2.explain the bolded.

(1) (Reply)

Okay! Ok! Kk! K! Are They Ok? / Most Beautiful People And Culture In Africa / Honesty In Nigeria Tribes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.