Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,648 members, 7,801,889 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:56 AM

Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman (12720 Views)

S’east Govs Goofed On Radio Biafra – APGA National Chairman / Labaran Maku Emerges As New APGA National Secretary At Party Convention / Apc Presidential Candidate With Apc National Chairman Watching The Announcement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by PointB: 4:46pm On Sep 17, 2012
Igbo will field presidential candidate in 2015 -APGA national chairman

Saturday, September 15, 2012

National chairman of the All Progressive Grand Alliance (APGA), Chief Victor Umeh, in a recent chat with reporters in Enugu warned Igbo elite against endorsing any candidate ahead of the 2015 presidential election. He said that APGA and Igbo are interested in the plum job and are getting ready to present a credible candidate for the election.

It has been said that APGA and the Igbo entered into a pact with President Goodluck Jonathan before supporting him in 2011 election. What happened?

These things have been written in the papers. Last week, the Ohanaeze Secretary, Nduka Eya, said the Igbo did not enter into any agreement with Jonathan, as basis for supporting him in 2011. In our party also, there was no agreement too, even though I wished there were such an agreement. Circumstances at that time could not allow us push for that agreement at all costs.

We supported him and that is why I am saying that things of this nature should not be left to discretion, because if you do and you do not get what you are entitled to, you do not complain. In 2011, there were negotiations between the South West and Mr. President before the election and when you say let me leave my fate to a discretion, if it is not exercised to your favour, you lose right of complaint.

Those who are key players in Igboland today must know that they constitute less than one percent of Igbo population and so are carrying the fate of about 60 million people in Nigeria. If they allow their fate to be determined by discretion, it is a failure of leadership.

That is why I am not in support of any ad-hoc statement on issues concerning presidential election in Nigeria in 2015, because it is very critical. I have done that arithmetic. In 2011, President Jonathan got 22 million votes to win and Buhari got 12 million votes to come second. In that election, the South East gave five million votes to President Jonathan and if, through negotiation, they had given that five million votes to Buhari, Buhari would have got over 17 million votes and Jonathan would have got about the same 17 million votes.

Who would have won? It would have been uncertain, so you see how the Igbo used their votes to swing an emphatic victory for the President. So, those who are talking today must realise that the support we have given, our people are expecting so much from it. And let them not jump the gun now before they cause confusion in Igbo land now.

As the chairman of APGA, you know I am being hunted and hounded by a statement I made early in the year that we shall produce a presidential candidate. Despite what those who are attacking me have said, it is now open what they are doing.

That is what I am suffering today. Whatever I am saying is out of conviction and we cannot change it. Let them come and fix our infrastructure; it's very disheartening that at this stage where we are, all the problems we have carried on with in Igboland have not been addressed. I don't know who will construct Enugu-Port Harcourt road that is now impassable. When I see people saying that Igbo have been given good appointments, I get irritated with such arguments. People being appointed ministers in government do not influence government policies. Unless you are in a position to influence government policies, you cannot help your people.

Look at the Enugu-Abakaliki highway. That road is very deplorable. They said they have awarded it to contractors and we expect the contractors to be on site and do the road. All our roads have collapsed. If you want to go to Umuahia now from Okigwe, at Okigwe, you make a detour to Owerri before going to Umuahia because if you want to use that road, you will remain on the road till evening. These are the concrete things our people who are taking are expected to know.

By their statements, they are demoralising our people, no matter their convictions. We must work towards reality and not just on projection. Some people have come out to say that the greatest challenge Igbo will get in 2015 is if the president is running for the second term. Some of these statements must have to be properly weighed before our people make them. Our leaderships must have respect. Such statements can affect us negatively because some of the people who make them have held positions in the past and when they talk, those who want us to remain perpetually backward would begin to make reference to them.

They only succeed in causing confusion. I don't see how the interest of any Nigerian will be in conflict with the interest of an Igbo man to aspire for the presidency in 2015. That point must be properly taken. We can go to an election and be defeated, but we must keep trying. After all, Abraham Lincoln tried several times and still got it at a time. Igbo is not saying we must win in 2015, but we want to contest if we have a candidate that can meet the needs of Nigerians in 2015; anybody who wins is ok. If we don't have a candidate that can do that and it becomes a matter that the Igbo don't have a candidate to go the whole hog, it will be an entirely different thing and it is at that time that the dexterity of thoughts of the Igbo people can be brought to bear on the position the Igbo will take. That's the way we are looking at it.

So, those of us who are young believe we still have so much stake in the future of this country and the future of the Igbo nation and we need to be properly mobilised, in thoughts, to know what to do. Anybody can be the president's friend; it is a good thing, but let that friendship not be used to undermine the collective interest of the people. If we begin to do that, then we don't have any hope.

Will APGA go into alliance discussions with other political parties, as being talked about now by some opposition parties?

Contrary to what some members of my party accused me of early in the year, APGA has not been involved in any discussion with any political party, with the view to galvanising alliance or merger ahead of 2015 election. What will concern APGA primarily now is to build strength ahead of 2015.

Let us do everything to build the strength of our party across the country. It is only after that that we will know how to go it in 2015. Presently, we are not involved in any discussion. If an alliance discussion is necessary in 2015, APGA will pursue it through the relevant organs of the party. Our constitution allows that such discussion be undertaken by the national caucus. Come to think of it; in 2011, APGA supported President Jonathan of the PDP; if we had entered into agreement, it would have been an alliance instead of a donation of support. In 2015, I know that alliance discussion will take place because presidential election in Nigeria is a very serious election.

Any party that wants to be part of it is free to discuss with others. The only thing is that in scheming, APGA will scheme to produce the presidential candidate in such an alliance discussion. So, we will be willing to participate, but for now the dust is yet to settle in our party, based on some of the issues that have been raised by some people. We want to build our strength first, before we get involved in any alliance discussion.

Do you think the Imo State High Court was right in rejecting the appeal for extension of tenure by the PDP council chairmen in the state?

There is nothing anybody can do in a democracy that would be justified if it falls outside the ambit of the law. Initially, we had asked the PDP to submit itself to the rule of law since they were the first to go to court. There was nothing they could have done to usurp the powers of the court, in trying to ventilate whatever grievances they had. I want to really commend the Imo State governor, Owelle Rochas Okorocha and indeed, the state government for remaining calm, despite the provocation.

We knew very much that the PDP wanted to drag the state government into responding to their antics and that would have escalated the matter. Imo State is calm now and we are very optimistic that development will continue. Okorocha is performing marvellously well. Without atmosphere of friendship and cordiality, you would retard development. Because of that simple matter, there have been unnecessary problems in the state but now that the court has delivered its judgment, we are hopeful that there would be brighter days ahead for the state and indeed the APGA.

Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State and some Igbo leaders had recently endorsed President Jonathan for 2015 election. What's your view on that and do you think that endorsement has foreclosed the clamour for Igbo presidency in 2015?

I just returned from England. I was not there when it was made. People are entitled to their individual opinion in a democracy. The only thing that is important is that statements being made on behalf of any group of persons must be discussed. We are not against anybody being president but our people must distil the issues before arriving at any decision. There is no need to be hasty.

Parties have their own decisions to make. When people go about discussing issues that concern political parties, they must also know that those parties also have opportunities of taking decisions about the electorate. It is the party that would come up with decisions concerning candidates before the electorate would be allowed to make their choice. I know that the yearning of our people is for them to produce president of the country, but if there is any reason that producing the president by 2015 would be difficult, it is not by jumping the gun or making endorsements. If we have the opportunity in 2015, we shall take it.

As APGA chairman, I've said it repeatedly that any registered political party should always aspire to produce candidates at the highest level. If any party exists just to contest local government election, or governorship election, then the future of such party is very bleak. It is our desire that we shall contest all the elections in Nigeria in 2015, from presidency to councillorship at the councils. Once elections are called for, it is our desire to contest those elections. We are there to contest elections. It is our desire to give Nigeria the desired change and so help us God.

President Jonathan, last week, announced that the construction of second Niger Bridge would commence by March next year. What's your take on that?

It is cheering news that construction work at the second Niger bridge will commence in March 2013, but I was very worried that the second Niger bridge would be concessioned to an international development consulting that will construct it. What this means is that the company will bring the funds and it will be expected to recover its funds. What that means is that the Federal Government is not part of the financing plan for the construction and that is why I am worried.

It means that after the construction, toll gates will be mounted in Onitsha-Asaba, Onitsha-Owerri roads and maybe Ontisha-Enugu road ends and our people will be paying for it. I also see a twin issue where the minister for finance was quoted to have said that about $450 million (N70 billion) loan has been negotiated for fighting erosion in the South East. She said it would have a 10-year moratorium when there will be no retirement; it will be interest-free and then the loan will be repaid within 40 years.

What this means is that the Federal Government will bring the money for the South East to fight erosion but what is not clear is if it will pay back this money or the states in the South East would. If the states in the South East will pay this loan, I am afraid to say that these two issues are very worrisome.

If our people will pay the cost of these services, it means that we have not got anything from the Federal Government. One would have expected to get a clear commitment from the Federal Government to undertake this second Niger Bridge and finance it by itself. We don't have money in the South East because of the paltry money we get from the federal allocation and now we will be saddled with the responsibility of paying for these services. It means that our people will continue to suffer. Just this year alone, the Federal Government has released N20 billion to the contractors constructing bridges in Benue State and that is the type of thing I want to hear the Federal Government is doing in the South East.

At the Enugu Airport, we are still waiting for the construction of the terminal building and putting in place things that would make the place an international airport. Let the president talk in a very concrete manner. The Enugu-Onishta road has failed. Enugu-Port Harcourt road is no longer a road. We expect concrete actions to be taken towards solving some of these problems. We learnt government has approved N18 billion for the construction of Enugu-Onitsha expressway.

Approval means nothing, in contract administration, until something is released. The road is in a pitiable situation. Contractors have always been there but nothing is on ground. We must have basis for talking about anything. I feel that our people should have proper sense of measurement of issues. Endorsement for presidential election of 2015 is too early for people to talk about. No doubt, we gave him absolute support in 2011 and we are not regretting it because it was a consensus decision by all the stakeholders in South East, including APGA as a political party.

One would have expected that less than two years into the endorsements, we shouldn't be talking about endorsement because it's too early. Let's behave like people who have sense of measurement. Nobody would deny that Igbo made it possible for him to become president in 2011 and if he wants to run in 2015, I don't think Igbo should be talking about endorsement in 2012. When we get there, we'll see how things have fared and we must have to take stock; the interest of the Igbo would not be reduced to personal interest of individuals.

It's important that the Igbo people should begin to understand the collective interest of the people, not interest of individuals. We understand that in a democracy, people are free to express themselves but the caution there is that nobody should be speaking for the Igbo people now on such important sensitive issue. If there is anything, this is period of harvest for the support we have given and when the time comes we will check our harvest. For now, people who have spoken have merely expressed their personal opinions and when the time comes, political parties will make their decisions too.

If in 2015, APGA has a good presidential candidate, we will give it a shot. We are very hopeful that APGA has something to offer Nigeria and if we have a presidential candidate that will win that election; that will be the best thing to do and that candidate will be candidate that would compete effectively with presidential candidate of other political parties. If at the end of the day, if no party wins, we will be better off in a coalition government, where we will be part of the decision making process in governance.

Without condemning anybody, I consider the issue being canvassed in 2012 for an election that will take place in 2015 as being pre-mature. I will plead with my Igbo brethren, who are involved in this to exercise restraint. Let's not allow sentiments and emotion to overtake our sense of judgment on such an important issue. When we get to the river, we'll know how to cross it; whether with a canoe or with a bridge.

Is there any likelihood that Governor Rochas Okorocha might be the presidential candidate of your party by 2015 because he appears to be the only one whose name has been severally mentioned?

Rochas is presently the governor of Imo State. Whatever he will do will be his personal decision. APGA will not conscript anybody into any election. Our members are at liberty to aspire to any position. But, let them know that we must find ways of helping ourselves first before endorsing anybody else. As an Igboman, I think of what will promote interest of the Igbo people first because I was first an Igboman before being a Nigerian but because politics is very dynamic, you cannot foreclose anything.

But, it's important that one is guided by cautionary steps; you don't have to be saying things because of emotions, sentiments or personal relationship. In 2015, all of us will meet in the field to know our individual worth. It's only when you are in the field that you can be reckoned with; if you are not there, nobody is going to hold discussions with you. If you go to the stadium as a spectator, after a football match, you don't get any medal but those who played and won the game will get the medal.

Spectators don't win medals and it would be very unfair if we reduce Igbo people to mere spectators in any match. We should be active players so that in the course of playing the game, we'll know the tackles to throw so that our opponents will realise our weight. So, we cannot submit ourselves to discretion. Things that should be done to the Igbo people should not be left to discretion; there are things that must be properly articulated. Once we are sure, we can't get it at any particular time, whatever position we are going to take must be reduced to writing. The agreements must be concrete.

http://odili.net/news/source/2012/sep/15/505.html
Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by Afam4eva(m): 4:51pm On Sep 17, 2012
Hmmm
Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by PointB: 4:55pm On Sep 17, 2012
Things are getting interesting.

Whether it's of genuine conviction or attempt at getting concession, I think it's a bold move by APGA. It's fully welcome by me.
Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by Afam4eva(m): 4:57pm On Sep 17, 2012
PointB: Things are getting interesting.

Whether it's of genuine conviction or attempt at getting concession, I think it's a bold move by APGA. It's fully welcome by me.
It's a bold move but it should me met by intense lobbying. They have to stretch their hands of fellowship in order to achieve something tangible. It's not just about fielding an Igbo candidate.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by PointB: 5:01pm On Sep 17, 2012
afam4eva:
It's a bold move but it should me met by intense lobbying. They have to stretch their hands of fellowship in order to achieve something tangible. It's not just about fielding an Igbo candidate.

In response to that:

Will APGA go into alliance discussions with other political parties, as being talked about now by some opposition parties?

Contrary to what some members of my party accused me of early in the year, APGA has not been involved in any discussion with any political party, with the view to galvanising alliance or merger ahead of 2015 election. What will concern APGA primarily now is to build strength ahead of 2015.

Let us do everything to build the strength of our party across the country. It is only after that that we will know how to go it in 2015. Presently, we are not involved in any discussion. If an alliance discussion is necessary in 2015, APGA will pursue it through the relevant organs of the party. Our constitution allows that such discussion be undertaken by the national caucus. Come to think of it; in 2011, APGA supported President Jonathan of the PDP; if we had entered into agreement, it would have been an alliance instead of a donation of support. In 2015, I know that alliance discussion will take place because presidential election in Nigeria is a very serious election.

Any party that wants to be part of it is free to discuss with others. The only thing is that in scheming, APGA will scheme to produce the presidential candidate in such an alliance discussion. So, we will be willing to participate, but for now the dust is yet to settle in our party, based on some of the issues that have been raised by some people. We want to build our strength first, before we get involved in any alliance discussion.
Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by Nobody: 5:09pm On Sep 17, 2012
. . .sitting on a long thing
Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by Onlytruth(m): 5:36pm On Sep 17, 2012
Whether he is serious with these statements or not, Victor Umeh has just reinvented and redeemed his political image in my own eyes. The man speaking in this interview is FAR MORE intelligent, sagacious, detail oriented and realistic!

For a long time since 2011, I have wondered why nobody in Igboland is worried about the serious dearth of federal projects in SE; and where they are being dangled, they tie a noose of concessionaire around the projects, waiting to enslave us well into the future. I have wondered why only SE federal projects are concessioned. I have watched while billions are allocated to projects in regions that didn't even make much contribution (number-wise) to Jonathan's election. It all didn't add up one bit!
However, as someone not resident in Nigeria, I depended on Igbo leaders in Nigeria to make a sound judgement; so I basically assumed that all was good. Now, this Umeh's expose changes everything, at least for me. shocked

I remember that there was a time I seriously canvessed for Igbo to field a presidential candidate. My premise has been that one can never be a good fighter (boxer, wrestler etc) if one is not a good athlete. One can NEVER be a good athlete if one NEVER exercises! How can Igbo ever be taken seriously as political gladiators in Nigeria if we never field presidential candidates? For each time we field an unsuccessful candidate, we at least learn one more way how NOT to win elections. . . until that day we will win! In any case, each time we contest, we earn the respect of others, making them take us seriously.

We shall contest 2015 presidential elections, so help us God. A region with the best human resources in Nigeria should be at the forefront of every presidential elections in Nigeria, and that is where we are headed! cool

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by Onlytruth(m): 5:47pm On Sep 17, 2012
I am happy that Peter Obi's term is ending in 2014 (at least before 2015), because I suspect that he is buying personal protection by supporting Jonathan's 2015 run.
What Umeh and other APGA chieftains should do NOW is to ensure that APGA is kept away from Obi's absolute control, and if need be, the party should find a presidential candidate NOW. In that search, they should dig deep and look for the best materials in Igboland. We have them. The party should also look for untainted men, we have them too.
The emphasis on untainted men is because the PDP government would try to blackmail any opposition candidate using the instruments of state (EFCC, SSS, police etc).
They should also look for very popular men - men that the youths can defend if anyone wants to muzzle them. Poltics is a serious business, and we should get serious!

I wish APGA God's speed.
Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by Noraokon: 6:05pm On Sep 17, 2012
grin side attractions again.
Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by omiobo: 6:08pm On Sep 17, 2012
Only God knows what 2015 holds. Just too early to start talking about 2015.
Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by FSU: 6:10pm On Sep 17, 2012
Why should it be news that Igbo will field presidential candidate in 2015?
Has there been an election year that Igbos have not fielded presidential candidates?
Did Igbos not contest in 2011 even as majority of Igbos supported Jonathan.
If you want to see the beauty of democracy in Nigeria, come to Igboland where everyone is free to contest.

Igboland is not North where only the rich Mullahs contest, neither is it SW where Tinubu handpicks who must contest.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by tunnytox(m): 6:15pm On Sep 17, 2012
FSU: Why should it be news that Igbo will field presidential candidate in 2015?
Has there been an election year that Igbos have not fielded presidential candidates?
Did Igbos not contest in 2011 even as majority of Igbos supported Jonathan.
If you want to see the beauty of democracy in Nigeria, come to Igboland where everyone is free to contest.

Igboland is not North where only the rich Mullahs contest, neither is it SW where Tinubu handpicks who must contest.

Dude make your point without referring to other tribes, this is how it starts when other tribes now reacts you'll be playing victim.

9 Likes

Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by Paentera(m): 6:15pm On Sep 17, 2012
PointB: Igbo will field presidential candidate in 2015 -APGA national chairman

Saturday, September 15, 2012

National chairman of the All Progressive Grand Alliance (APGA), Chief Victor Umeh, in a recent chat with reporters in Enugu warned Igbo elite against endorsing any candidate ahead of the 2015 presidential election. He said that APGA and Igbo are interested in the plum job and are getting ready to present a credible candidate for the election.

It has been said that APGA and the Igbo entered into a pact with President Goodluck Jonathan before supporting him in 2011 election. What happened?

These things have been written in the papers. Last week, the Ohanaeze Secretary, Nduka Eya, said the Igbo did not enter into any agreement with Jonathan, as basis for supporting him in 2011. In our party also, there was no agreement too, even though I wished there were such an agreement. Circumstances at that time could not allow us push for that agreement at all costs.

We supported him and that is why I am saying that things of this nature should not be left to discretion, because if you do and you do not get what you are entitled to, you do not complain. In 2011, there were negotiations between the South West and Mr. President before the election and when you say let me leave my fate to a discretion, if it is not exercised to your favour, you lose right of complaint.

Those who are key players in Igboland today must know that they constitute less than one percent of Igbo population and so are carrying the fate of about 60 million people in Nigeria. If they allow their fate to be determined by discretion, it is a failure of leadership.

That is why I am not in support of any ad-hoc statement on issues concerning presidential election in Nigeria in 2015, because it is very critical. I have done that arithmetic. In 2011, President Jonathan got 22 million votes to win and Buhari got 12 million votes to come second. In that election, the South East gave five million votes to President Jonathan and if, through negotiation, they had given that five million votes to Buhari, Buhari would have got over 17 million votes and Jonathan would have got about the same 17 million votes.

Who would have won? It would have been uncertain, so you see how the Igbo used their votes to swing an emphatic victory for the President. So, those who are talking today must realise that the support we have given, our people are expecting so much from it. And let them not jump the gun now before they cause confusion in Igbo land now.

As the chairman of APGA, you know I am being hunted and hounded by a statement I made early in the year that we shall produce a presidential candidate. Despite what those who are attacking me have said, it is now open what they are doing.

That is what I am suffering today. Whatever I am saying is out of conviction and we cannot change it. Let them come and fix our infrastructure; it's very disheartening that at this stage where we are, all the problems we have carried on with in Igboland have not been addressed. I don't know who will construct Enugu-Port Harcourt road that is now impassable. When I see people saying that Igbo have been given good appointments, I get irritated with such arguments. People being appointed ministers in government do not influence government policies. Unless you are in a position to influence government policies, you cannot help your people.

Look at the Enugu-Abakaliki highway. That road is very deplorable. They said they have awarded it to contractors and we expect the contractors to be on site and do the road. All our roads have collapsed. If you want to go to Umuahia now from Okigwe, at Okigwe, you make a detour to Owerri before going to Umuahia because if you want to use that road, you will remain on the road till evening. These are the concrete things our people who are taking are expected to know.

By their statements, they are demoralising our people, no matter their convictions. We must work towards reality and not just on projection. Some people have come out to say that the greatest challenge Igbo will get in 2015 is if the president is running for the second term. Some of these statements must have to be properly weighed before our people make them. Our leaderships must have respect. Such statements can affect us negatively because some of the people who make them have held positions in the past and when they talk, those who want us to remain perpetually backward would begin to make reference to them.

They only succeed in causing confusion. I don't see how the interest of any Nigerian will be in conflict with the interest of an Igbo man to aspire for the presidency in 2015. That point must be properly taken. We can go to an election and be defeated, but we must keep trying. After all, Abraham Lincoln tried several times and still got it at a time. Igbo is not saying we must win in 2015, but we want to contest if we have a candidate that can meet the needs of Nigerians in 2015; anybody who wins is ok. If we don't have a candidate that can do that and it becomes a matter that the Igbo don't have a candidate to go the whole hog, it will be an entirely different thing and it is at that time that the dexterity of thoughts of the Igbo people can be brought to bear on the position the Igbo will take. That's the way we are looking at it.

So, those of us who are young believe we still have so much stake in the future of this country and the future of the Igbo nation and we need to be properly mobilised, in thoughts, to know what to do. Anybody can be the president's friend; it is a good thing, but let that friendship not be used to undermine the collective interest of the people. If we begin to do that, then we don't have any hope.

Do you think the Imo State High Court was right in rejecting the appeal for extension of tenure by the PDP council chairmen in the state?

There is nothing anybody can do in a democracy that would be justified if it falls outside the ambit of the law. Initially, we had asked the PDP to submit itself to the rule of law since they were the first to go to court. There was nothing they could have done to usurp the powers of the court, in trying to ventilate whatever grievances they had. I want to really commend the Imo State governor, Owelle Rochas Okorocha and indeed, the state government for remaining calm, despite the provocation.

We knew very much that the PDP wanted to drag the state government into responding to their antics and that would have escalated the matter. Imo State is calm now and we are very optimistic that development will continue. Okorocha is performing marvellously well. Without atmosphere of friendship and cordiality, you would retard development. Because of that simple matter, there have been unnecessary problems in the state but now that the court has delivered its judgment, we are hopeful that there would be brighter days ahead for the state and indeed the APGA.

Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State and some Igbo leaders had recently endorsed President Jonathan for 2015 election. What's your view on that and do you think that endorsement has foreclosed the clamour for Igbo presidency in 2015?

I just returned from England. I was not there when it was made. People are entitled to their individual opinion in a democracy. The only thing that is important is that statements being made on behalf of any group of persons must be discussed. We are not against anybody being president but our people must distil the issues before arriving at any decision. There is no need to be hasty.

Parties have their own decisions to make. When people go about discussing issues that concern political parties, they must also know that those parties also have opportunities of taking decisions about the electorate. It is the party that would come up with decisions concerning candidates before the electorate would be allowed to make their choice. I know that the yearning of our people is for them to produce president of the country, but if there is any reason that producing the president by 2015 would be difficult, it is not by jumping the gun or making endorsements. If we have the opportunity in 2015, we shall take it.

As APGA chairman, I've said it repeatedly that any registered political party should always aspire to produce candidates at the highest level. If any party exists just to contest local government election, or governorship election, then the future of such party is very bleak. It is our desire that we shall contest all the elections in Nigeria in 2015, from presidency to councillorship at the councils. Once elections are called for, it is our desire to contest those elections. We are there to contest elections. It is our desire to give Nigeria the desired change and so help us God.

President Jonathan, last week, announced that the construction of second Niger Bridge would commence by March next year. What's your take on that?

It is cheering news that construction work at the second Niger bridge will commence in March 2013, but I was very worried that the second Niger bridge would be concessioned to an international development consulting that will construct it. What this means is that the company will bring the funds and it will be expected to recover its funds. What that means is that the Federal Government is not part of the financing plan for the construction and that is why I am worried.

It means that after the construction, toll gates will be mounted in Onitsha-Asaba, Onitsha-Owerri roads and maybe Ontisha-Enugu road ends and our people will be paying for it. I also see a twin issue where the minister for finance was quoted to have said that about $450 million (N70 billion) loan has been negotiated for fighting erosion in the South East. She said it would have a 10-year moratorium when there will be no retirement; it will be interest-free and then the loan will be repaid within 40 years.

What this means is that the Federal Government will bring the money for the South East to fight erosion but what is not clear is if it will pay back this money or the states in the South East would. If the states in the South East will pay this loan, I am afraid to say that these two issues are very worrisome.

If our people will pay the cost of these services, it means that we have not got anything from the Federal Government. One would have expected to get a clear commitment from the Federal Government to undertake this second Niger Bridge and finance it by itself. We don't have money in the South East because of the paltry money we get from the federal allocation and now we will be saddled with the responsibility of paying for these services. It means that our people will continue to suffer. Just this year alone, the Federal Government has released N20 billion to the contractors constructing bridges in Benue State and that is the type of thing I want to hear the Federal Government is doing in the South East.

At the Enugu Airport, we are still waiting for the construction of the terminal building and putting in place things that would make the place an international airport. Let the president talk in a very concrete manner. The Enugu-Onishta road has failed. Enugu-Port Harcourt road is no longer a road. We expect concrete actions to be taken towards solving some of these problems. We learnt government has approved N18 billion for the construction of Enugu-Onitsha expressway.

Approval means nothing, in contract administration, until something is released. The road is in a pitiable situation. Contractors have always been there but nothing is on ground. We must have basis for talking about anything. I feel that our people should have proper sense of measurement of issues. Endorsement for presidential election of 2015 is too early for people to talk about. No doubt, we gave him absolute support in 2011 and we are not regretting it because it was a consensus decision by all the stakeholders in South East, including APGA as a political party.

One would have expected that less than two years into the endorsements, we shouldn't be talking about endorsement because it's too early. Let's behave like people who have sense of measurement. Nobody would deny that Igbo made it possible for him to become president in 2011 and if he wants to run in 2015, I don't think Igbo should be talking about endorsement in 2012. When we get there, we'll see how things have fared and we must have to take stock; the interest of the Igbo would not be reduced to personal interest of individuals.

It's important that the Igbo people should begin to understand the collective interest of the people, not interest of individuals. We understand that in a democracy, people are free to express themselves but the caution there is that nobody should be speaking for the Igbo people now on such important sensitive issue. If there is anything, this is period of harvest for the support we have given and when the time comes we will check our harvest. For now, people who have spoken have merely expressed their personal opinions and when the time comes, political parties will make their decisions too.

If in 2015, APGA has a good presidential candidate, we will give it a shot. We are very hopeful that APGA has something to offer Nigeria and if we have a presidential candidate that will win that election; that will be the best thing to do and that candidate will be candidate that would compete effectively with presidential candidate of other political parties. If at the end of the day, if no party wins, we will be better off in a coalition government, where we will be part of the decision making process in governance.

Without condemning anybody, I consider the issue being canvassed in 2012 for an election that will take place in 2015 as being pre-mature. I will plead with my Igbo brethren, who are involved in this to exercise restraint. Let's not allow sentiments and emotion to overtake our sense of judgment on such an important issue. When we get to the river, we'll know how to cross it; whether with a canoe or with a bridge.

Is there any likelihood that Governor Rochas Okorocha might be the presidential candidate of your party by 2015 because he appears to be the only one whose name has been severally mentioned?

Rochas is presently the governor of Imo State. Whatever he will do will be his personal decision. APGA will not conscript anybody into any election. Our members are at liberty to aspire to any position. But, let them know that we must find ways of helping ourselves first before endorsing anybody else. As an Igboman, I think of what will promote interest of the Igbo people first because I was first an Igboman before being a Nigerian but because politics is very dynamic, you cannot foreclose anything.

But, it's important that one is guided by cautionary steps; you don't have to be saying things because of emotions, sentiments or personal relationship. In 2015, all of us will meet in the field to know our individual worth. It's only when you are in the field that you can be reckoned with; if you are not there, nobody is going to hold discussions with you. If you go to the stadium as a spectator, after a football match, you don't get any medal but those who played and won the game will get the medal.

Spectators don't win medals and it would be very unfair if we reduce Igbo people to mere spectators in any match. We should be active players so that in the course of playing the game, we'll know the tackles to throw so that our opponents will realise our weight. So, we cannot submit ourselves to discretion. Things that should be done to the Igbo people should not be left to discretion; there are things that must be properly articulated. Once we are sure, we can't get it at any particular time, whatever position we are going to take must be reduced to writing. The agreements must be concrete.

http://odili.net/news/source/2012/sep/15/505.html

yawn...waka pass.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by garripack: 6:24pm On Sep 17, 2012
[size=20pt]SO WAT MAKE WE KON DEY CRY[/size]
Paentera:

[size=40pt]yawn...waka pass.[/size]
Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by kettykin: 6:30pm On Sep 17, 2012
garripack: [size=20pt]SO WAT MAKE WE KON DEY CRY[/size]

Even if they field the candidate , will he win? why not think smart and play smart
Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by ziccoit: 6:32pm On Sep 17, 2012
So the Yorubas, Hausas, Ijaws, Edos, Efiks etc. can you see now this is never a news cool
Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by Nobody: 6:32pm On Sep 17, 2012
Paentera:

yawn...waka pass.
so why did you quote the whole topic if you got nothing to say huh? Take time o!
@post I hope it ends well.can't wait for 2015 to come.this time around we don't need lobbying.an Igbo man should come out like every other nigerian and contest for presidential election.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by dayokanu(m): 6:33pm On Sep 17, 2012
What hapened to the November 5 declaration? Or is it the Presidential candidate of Biafra they are talking about here?

Confuzzled ppl

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by PointB: 6:34pm On Sep 17, 2012
berem: so why did you quote the whole topic if you got nothing to say huh? Take time o!
@post I hope it ends well.can't wait for 2015 to come.this time around we don't need lobbying.an Igbo man should come out like every other nigerian and contest for presidential election.

That's the spirit.

Whether he wins or not is besides the point. Let whoever it is that contest on the SE flag make as much noise as possible throughout the federation. If he wins that a big bonus!
Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by Ninapha(f): 6:35pm On Sep 17, 2012
Super deatails by Umeh. My problem with my pple is, we always sell out, Accept defeat even before the contest, believe dat our votes to some parties are just waste. But d truth is untill we begin to field igbo presidential candidate and also support them without bias, we wd never be taken serious. Yes we may not win just like he said atleast, we wd hv learnt one more way, how not to win! But we need a man who can stand PDP, we need an Igbo man who is truly Igbo in flesh and blood, CHRIS NGIGE 2015

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by omoeso(m): 6:36pm On Sep 17, 2012
Ok...we don hear.

NEXT!!!
Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by PROUDIGBO(m): 6:37pm On Sep 17, 2012
Nora okon: grin side attractions again.

^^^Could you fill me in on why you think APGA fighting to field a Igbo candidate in the 2015 presidential elections (on whatever platform) is 'side attractions' (or a 'long thing' as some say), while you don't seem to find a problem with other parties like the PDP, ACN, or CPC fielding presidential candidates from Yoruba, Hausa/Fulani, or Ijaw ethnicities?

Could you give me a reason for your snide remark?
Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by dayokanu(m): 6:38pm On Sep 17, 2012
PointB:

That's the spirit.

Whether he wins or not is besides the point. Let whoever it is that contest on the SE flag make as much noise as possible throughout the federation. If he wins that a big bonus!

You mean the Igbos are tired of being boy-boy?

Like their ancestors Azikwe, Ekwueme, Sylvester Ugo, Okadigbo, Ben Obi and lately Soludo. Thats refreshing to know. When even the great Ike-eba Ojuku who contested didnt win his own household

But I can bet with anyone that come 2015 they would go back to their boy-boy status. of rallying support for one of thir Masters

In the mould of Balewa, Shagari, Obasanjo or Jonathan of the past

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by PointB: 6:38pm On Sep 17, 2012
Ninapha: Super deatails by Umeh. My problem with my pple is, we always sell out, Accept defeat even before the contest, believe dat our votes to some parties are just waste. But d truth is untill we begin to field igbo presidential candidate and also support them without bias, we wd never be taken serious. Yes we may not win just like he said atleast, we wd hv learnt one more way, how not to win! But we need a man who can stand PDP, we need an Igbo man who is truly Igbo in flesh and blood, CHRIS NGIGE 2015

I will vote Chris Ngige, Rochas Okorocha, Charles Soludo, or Sullivan Chime - let Ohaneze pick any of them and watch us roll! Any of these guys, before GEJ!
Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by dayokanu(m): 6:40pm On Sep 17, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Could you fill me in on why you think APGA fighting to field a Igbo candidate in the 2015 presidential elections (on whatever platform) is 'side attractions' (or a 'long thing' as some say), while you don't seem to find a problem with other parties like the PDP, ACN, or CPC fielding presidential candidates from Yoruba, Hausa/Fulani, or Ijaw ethnicities?

Could you give me a reason for your snide remark?

Cos APGA is a joke. No one takes them seriously. The greatest APGA man and founder Ojuku couldnt even win a state when he contested OBJ a Yorubaman was even winning on his street

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by PointB: 6:42pm On Sep 17, 2012
dayokanu:

You mean the Igbos are tired of being boy-boy?

Like their ancestors Azikwe, Ekwueme, Sylvester Ugo, Okadigbo, Ben Obi and lately Soludo. Thats refreshing to know. When even the great Ike-eba Ojuku who contested didnt win his own household

But I can bet with anyone that come 2015 they would go back to their boy-boy status. of rallying support for one of thir Masters

In the mould of Balewa, Shagari, Obasanjo or Jonathan of the past

Dude, I have noticed you. Next ---->

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by Decryptor(m): 6:45pm On Sep 17, 2012
Paentera:

yawn...waka pass.
After taking the pains to scroll down thru the requoted post, this what all u could come up with

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by PROUDIGBO(m): 6:47pm On Sep 17, 2012
Ninapha: Super deatails by Umeh. My problem with my pple is, we always sell out, Accept defeat even before the contest, believe dat our votes to some parties are just waste. But d truth is untill we begin to field igbo presidential candidate and also support them without bias, we wd never be taken serious. Yes we may not win just like he said atleast, we wd hv learnt one more way, how not to win! But we need a man who can stand PDP, we need an Igbo man who is truly Igbo in flesh and blood, CHRIS NGIGE 2015

^^^Minus the 'Chris Ngige' thing, i share your sentiments wholeheartedly.

Candidates of Igbo extraction i'd like to see contest at the centre in 2015 are Soludo, Rochas (when he finally has things on ground in Imo to match his dreams and vision for Imo....yet to see much of that at the moment), Okonjo-Iweala, Oby Ezekwesili, Nnaji, and many more. Any of these individuals has what it takes to govern this country, and i'm hoping one of them will be convinced to contest.
Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by Nobody: 6:48pm On Sep 17, 2012
I laugh in ibo!

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by dayokanu(m): 6:49pm On Sep 17, 2012
PointB:

Dude, I have noticed you. Next ---->

You have started noticing dudes now? Are you GAY?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by 2rutalk1: 6:49pm On Sep 17, 2012
I will vote Chris Ngige, Rochas Okorocha, Charles Soludo, or Sullivan Chime - let Ohaneze pick any of them and watch us roll! Any of these guys, before GEJ!

Thank you so much.
Re: Igbo Will Field Presidential Candidate In 2015 -APGA National Chairman by vanstanzy(m): 6:57pm On Sep 17, 2012
dayokanu:

You have started noticing dudes now? Are you GAY?

Sorry, ur fellow homo-sex-uals u seek are not on this thread, abeg just waka pass, and we'll act as though we never heard from u. Now delete urself, boy!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Jigawa Youths Protest Arrest Of Lamido's Sons By EFCC / Nigerian Customs Sacks 17 Officers For Drug Addiction / Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.