Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,035 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:50 AM

2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University (21137 Views)

1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK / 2000 Students Face Deportation Within 60 Days / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by Jalal(m): 6:51am On Sep 22, 2012
Greediness on their part.....imagine on full scholarship again!
Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by DisGuy: 7:05am On Sep 22, 2012
Nosa-Henry:
My heart goes out to the girls. Just to do some casual jobs to makes ends meet. Bad and repulsive law.

make ends meet? they were on full scholarship!!
Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by MrHim(m): 7:28am On Sep 22, 2012
I want the " soon to be deported girly|" on the left....fast! cheesy
Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by strangest(m): 7:35am On Sep 22, 2012
Meanwhile a lot of oyibo dey walk around our street, dey collect our own jobs and its very ok... Smh
Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by eaglechild: 7:35am On Sep 22, 2012
Did they really have to slap the handcuffs on, just to lead her away?
Pls i need to know if this is a civil or criminal offence.
Does this deserve deportation or is it because they are Nigerians?
Remember these people have spent 3 YEARS already in Canada without any bad record.
If we dont know the details of the Canadian law on such an offence then one can't really blame the authorities for whatever action they take.
However,if there are other options of punishment, then deportation is way too HARSH.
If the authorities go through with this considering the number of years already spent by the students, i'll advise prospective foreign students to look elsewhere.
Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by highlandre(m): 7:56am On Sep 22, 2012
I feel pity for these girls. Rather than condemn their actions for flouting Canadian law knowingly or in ignorance, I pray that the appropriate authorities favour their plea to complete their education in the country.

The thought of coming home empty-handed must have led them to want to work. May God help them out!
Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by lastpage: 8:01am On Sep 22, 2012
Callotti: What beauties.
[b]Randy Naija men [/b]are waiting to heip them.
Come home sweeeeeteeeeze.
Gov. Rochas waits! grin

Are you mentally disturbed?
.....if this is all you can see and comment on the story!
Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by lastpage: 8:04am On Sep 22, 2012
Dis Guy:

make ends meet? they were on full scholarship!!
Once the first installment of such scholarship is paid (to garner publicity by the Governor),
The rest is O.Y.O (on your own!)

Have we not heard many instance of Nigerian students on "full scholarship", suffering and crying in places like Ukraine, Russia, e.t.c?

No be today o!

I feel for the ladies, at least they were not doing the usual "embarrassing things".

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by kcfresh007(m): 8:15am On Sep 22, 2012
see fine gurls

1 Like

Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by Ilaje44(m): 8:20am On Sep 22, 2012
[size=20pt]COMMONWEALTH[/size]being denied. This is to say, no wealth is common in the [size=20pt]COMMONWEALTH[/size]
Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by dasparrow: 9:56am On Sep 22, 2012
ooseven: I am now very convinced that a vast majority of nairalanders are enemies of progress and never wish anybody well, always seeing the negatives in people and situations. No empathy, no sympathy , no unity, just negativity, negativity, NEGATIVITY!!!!

It is not just Nairalanders. It is Nigerians in real life not just on the world wide web. The average Nigerian is hateful, spiteful, discriminatory, bigoted and always wishing the downfall of her fellow Nigerian. Keep in mind that most Nairalanders are Nigerians so what you see here online is just a reflection of who the average Nigerian truly is. And then we wonder why Nigeria is not progressing in the real sense of the word. How can a country filled with so many wicked and bigoted citizens progress?

2 Likes

Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by dasparrow: 10:05am On Sep 22, 2012
strangest: Meanwhile a lot of oyibo dey walk around our street, dey collect our own jobs and its very ok... Smh

No be una choose to worship oyibo like a bunch of air heads for Nigeria? How many times have I been trying to tell Nigerians that caucasians the world over don't give a damn about you? Yet the average Nigerian continues to 'worship' whitey for reasons best known to them. Many Nigerians even go as far as defending white racism/white racists because according to them, you have Nigerians who practice tribalism so we should not complain when some white racist heiffer discriminates against blacks. I have never seen a group of self hating inferiority complex stricken Africans like Nigerians. I am glad all this is happening so Nigerians will see how Africans are treated in the western world.

3 Likes

Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by ndbaba(m): 10:24am On Sep 22, 2012
its so unfortunate. wish the canadian authority will reconsider. its obvious the girls are not looking forward to coming home. they rather sleep in church for the next three years. naija i hail o
Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by Nobody: 10:37am On Sep 22, 2012
Once again people who have never left their village in naija and know nothing of life outside the country open their mouth to spite these young ladies.
Its not an easy thing to be hosted on scholarship first of all, it just means they were exceptional students, not rich or whatever it is I read one bad-belle, bitter person saying on here.

For a young person who doesn't quite get these things, immigrational laws are quite cumbersome to understand.
They are obviously not criminals in that sense. A criminal is one who knows something is "not allowed" and does it anyway (i refuse to use the word wrong here because, in all honesty, this has been one of the most stupid and pointless immigrational laws till date).

Looking at their age, are they even up to 18? Those officers have no shame.
Working in border enforcement services is like a dream job for rednecks and KKK-ish folk.
This is how they get their high for the day, instead of going to chase real criminals.

2 Likes

Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by Nobody: 10:44am On Sep 22, 2012
lastpage:

Are you mentally disturbed?
.....if this is all you can see and comment on the story!
are you surprised? You need to follow his/her comments and you would notice that he/she has mental problems! Always talking out of point.smh
Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by justwise(m): 10:46am On Sep 22, 2012
dasparrow:

It is not just Nairalanders. It is Nigerians in real life not just on the world wide web. The average Nigerian is hateful, spiteful, discriminatory, bigoted and always wishing the downfall of her fellow Nigerian. Keep in mind that most Nairalanders are Nigerians so what you see here online is just a reflection of who the average Nigerian truly is. And then we wonder why Nigeria is not progressing in the real sense of the word. How can a country filled with so many wicked and bigoted citizens progress?

You are not different from those Nigerians you described above, you sound very hateful, 'blame-the-white' mentality, everyone else is against you part from yourself.
Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by justwise(m): 10:50am On Sep 22, 2012
2buff: Once again people who have never left their village in naija and know nothing of life outside the country open their mouth to spite these young ladies.
Its not an easy thing to be hosted on scholarship first of all, it just means they were exceptional students, not rich or whatever it is I read one bad-belle, bitter person saying on here.

For a young person who doesn't quite get these things, immigrational laws are quite cumbersome to understand.
They are obviously not criminals in that sense. A criminal is one who knows something is "not allowed" and does it anyway (i refuse to use the word wrong here because, in all honesty, this has been one of the most stupid and pointless immigrational laws till date).

Working in border enforcement services is like a dream job for rednecks and KKK-ish folk.
This is how they get their high for the day, instead of going to chase real criminals.

I hope their case is reconsidered and they are allowed to stay and finish their studies but they have broken the law, they should have known better.

I really feel sorry for them but i'm not blaming the Canadian authority.
Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by Nobody: 11:36am On Sep 22, 2012
Whao. I pray God favour them before the panel IJN. Amen
Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by Nobody: 11:38am On Sep 22, 2012
Whao!! I pray God favour them IJN. Amen
Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by slyopez(m): 12:03pm On Sep 22, 2012
Callotti: What beauties.
Randy Naija men are waiting to heip them.
Come home sweeeeeteeeeze.
Gov. Rochas waits! grin
Which rochas? Abeg those gals are Rivers state indigenes ikwerre to be precise. I know so many of them that are studying abroad with RSSG scholarship benefit.
Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by Eleazarrh(m): 2:56pm On Sep 22, 2012
Can't help but heave a sigh........ Such a story.....
Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by MrsChima1(f): 7:40pm On Sep 22, 2012
dasparrow:

That's what I have been saying for years that there are more Nigerians on this site than any other and they want to say that the site doesn't represent Nigeria.

Thank you for speaking the truth.
Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by ouagadougou(m): 9:21am On Sep 23, 2012
They're no longer attending lectures but hiding in a church, how's that helping their cause? undecided
Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by Nobody: 11:03am On Sep 23, 2012
This how a country works....strict laws that punishes citizens whenever they go against it. But nigerians will complain if they see a leader making laws to shape our activities. How will our country progress when there's no law. When nigerians say they are suffering I always laugh and say; u think the leaders are actually making you suffer in that country where you do anything u want to? Until nigeria has standard laws, nothing will happen
Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by Nobody: 11:25am On Sep 23, 2012
2buff: Once again people who have never left their village in naija and know nothing of life outside the country open their mouth to spite these young ladies.

This is the reason why nigeria will never progress. Nigerians always trying to claim ignorance in every situation. Incase u don't know, ignorance is not an excuse for going against the law...anywhere in the world. A law is a law! Besides, were dey not oriented in first year? I'm sure they must av told them all the terms and conditions...but jst like a typical nigerian, always wanting to play smarter than God to disobey laws and seeing people who are not doing it as dumb. Well ladies, this is not nigeria where u get away with virtually everything. Now I even want to assume that they were not told (which is not possible). Laws are not supposed to be sent to you as parcel in the first place, it is your own duty as a citizen of a place to find out all the 'dos and donts' of the place!!! Once again, ignorance is not an excuse to disobey the law!!!! Law also can't be bent for any reason whatsoever. So next time, when you are going to another country; drop your naija way of reasoning and acting....orelse, you will face the same problem. #nuffsaid
Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by Nobody: 11:28am On Sep 23, 2012

True, but look at where they applied for jobs. Everyone and there mother knows that Walmart hires EVERYONE and ANYONE, regardless of papers. Their hiring of illegal immigrants is in the news every other week. These girls aren't stupid. It's for this reason that deportation will be likely. If it was at another company where a procedure mistakenly wasn't followed, they may have some hope. But Walmart, a company that's always in trouble? Plus the fact that they are Nigerians, aka 419ers to the western word, they don't stand much of a chance.
Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by buffny: 6:04pm On Sep 23, 2012
what kind of fucking govt is giving out scholarships for students to study theater arts and mass comm in a freaking foreign university.

theres something fishy going on here.
Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by ezicat: 8:58pm On Sep 23, 2012
I read the story again, just to make sure: there is something fishy here. Last time I checked, international students are allowed to work for up to 20 hours off campus during the school year, 40 hours (full time) in the summer. Has this law been revoked recently? Lemme check. Nope - you can work off-campus (there are a few restrictions like being a member of a participating institution and applying for an off-campus work permit, but you can do it. Maybe it doesn't apply to them because they're on scholarship?)

So that's issue 1. Issue 2 is that I find it difficult to believe that the students didn't know. As someone who was an international student in Canada, I can tell you quite clearly that it is stated in BOLD in your student visa that you are NOT allowed to work off-campus (on the student visa alone). I doubt that has changed.

So, unfortunately, I have to agree with those saying that the girls tried to apply the Nigerian mentality of circumventing the law for personal gain. And now, they're facing the consequences: I do hope the law is lenient with them - if they are first offenders AND if they didn't do anything shady like use someone elses name or info or lie on their job application.

Having said all this, I do understand how difficult it can be to get by as a student (scholarship or no scholarship) - if you need a bit of extra change to get by, you can do something personal, informal and irregular like babysitting kids (within your community) and getting paid cash for it. Not work at a national chain or a salaried job. What were they thinking?! That is a NO NO. It's essentially a way of trying to cheat the system. Doesn't usually work when outside of Nigeria, people. Shouldn't happen inside Nigeria, either.
Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by Tokotaya: 9:49am On Sep 24, 2012
Now was anything done to make the law clear to the students? And they have been there for three years, and have held the off campus job for only two weeks. That should count for them, plus the fact that one of them willingly relinquish the job as soon as she learnt the truth.
Re: 2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University by yeye4live(m): 4:06pm On Sep 24, 2012
slyopez: Which rochas? Abeg those gals are Rivers state indigenes ikwerre to be precise. I know so many of them that are studying abroad with RSSG scholarship benefit.
Na ur papa give dem d scholarship,did dey rite d state dey re from in wat u read,u beta shot up ur dirty mouth n gve chance here

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Construction Commences On Lagos - Calabar Coastal Highway / First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August / The Poor State Of Moro Bridge In Kwara State (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.