Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,246 members, 7,807,839 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:27 PM

African Cuisine - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / African Cuisine (56725 Views)

African Cuisine, Cook And Paste The Pics And Process Of Cooking Here. / Yours Mine and Ours: Cuisine / Rivers State Cuisine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Cuisine by BlackKenichi(m): 8:09pm On Sep 17, 2012
I love food (good food is better than f**king IMO). Basically this thread is about the different type of foods and cuisines that are in Africa.
From the Senegambia to the Horn of Africa. From Egypt to South Africa. From the deepest jungles of the Congo to the highest peaks of Africa.
Describe the different foods that you like and have to offer. Also post some pics of the food too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_cuisine

2 Likes

Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 3:22am On Sep 19, 2012
Cote d'Ivoire- Ivorian Recepi
Foutou Banane (pounded Plantain) with palm oil stew. Black Kenichi u eat this with your haaaands. If u try it with forks and all the wahala it will mess up the taste loool

smiley smiley

This is how u pound it! U mix it with cassava!

Stew recipe (she added some dry akrwa/gombo toward the end, i prefer it without)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjun9iPAoIM

Enjoy ! smiley

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 3:37am On Sep 19, 2012
Cote d'Ivoire/Mali/Guine/Burkina/Senegal/Mauritania/ (Probably other countries )

Peanut Butter stew/Maffe (in Senegal and Mauritania) smiley

You can eat it with fufu (yam or plantain) or rice. It's very good (but personally I don't like it)

Peanut stwew with Dah leaf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHNBCiJiNtE&feature=related

Enjoy!

Those vids are for girls/women on nrld who dunno how to cook grin grin it is time to get to the kitchen tongue
Re: African Cuisine by onila(f): 3:57am On Sep 19, 2012
ethiopian food looks good

2 Likes

Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 6:43am On Sep 19, 2012
Sybellah: Cote d'Ivoire/Mali/Guine/Burkina/Senegal/Mauritania/ (Probably other countries )

Peanut Butter stew/Maffe (in Senegal and Mauritania) smiley

You can eat it with fufu (yam or plantain) or rice. It's very good (but personally I don't like it)

Peanut stwew with Dah leaf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHNBCiJiNtE&feature=related

Enjoy!

Those vids are for girls/women on nrld who dunno how to cook grin grin it is time to get to the kitchen tongue
Mafe! We have it in senegal but I think it's a malian dish. Bambaras cook it with chicken and the sauce is much lighter than the senegalese one , like this,

In senegal we usually add pounded okra (mafe kanja), but I really don't like this version since the okra gives a viscous texture to the stew
But the version with mutton , without okra is one of my favorite dishes smiley smiley

2 Likes

Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 6:58am On Sep 19, 2012
thiendella:
Mafe! We have it in senegal but I think it's a malian dish. Bambaras cook it with chicken and the sauce is much lighter than the senegalese one , like this,

In senegal we usually add pounded okra (mafe kanja), but I really don't like this version since the okra gives a viscous texture to the stew
But the version with mutton , without okra is one of my favorite dishes smiley smiley

I see, in CIV this dish is national now, everybody eats it, but it originated from the north of the country (Malinke/Bambara and Senoufo). I know u guys eat a lot of Dah so I thought maybe u would also put dah leaves in the dish like that women cooking smiley. Is it carrot i see in the pic u posted? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed we don't put carrot in it, only crashed onions, pepper and tomatoes.
Re: African Cuisine by MissyB3(f): 8:53am On Sep 19, 2012

Is this not what Nigerians (Edos) call owo soup? Yam, somebody? cheesy kiss

Nice photos, btw . . .Keep 'em coming. smiley
Re: African Cuisine by Freiburger(m): 8:56am On Sep 19, 2012
Missy_B:
Is this not what Nigerians (Edos) call owo soup? Yam, somebody? cheesy kiss

Nice photos, btw . . .Keep 'em coming. smiley
hmmmmmmm tongue
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 10:46am On Sep 19, 2012
Sybellah:

I see, in CIV this dish is national now, everybody eats it, but it originated from the north of the country (Malinke/Bambara and Senoufo). I know u guys eat a lot of Dah so I thought maybe u would also put dah leaves in the dish like that women cooking smiley. Is it carrot i see in the pic u posted? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed we don't put carrot in it, only crashed onions, pepper and tomatoes.
What is "dah"?
But whatever it is we don't add it, and yes we add vegetables ( carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes , cassava and cabbage) , there are vegetables in every single stew except onion and okra bases ones like yassa, caldu, soupou kandja smiley
Re: African Cuisine by MissyB3(f): 11:21am On Sep 19, 2012
Freiburger:
hmmmmmmm tongue
Lol!
How are you doing, Freiburger? wink
Re: African Cuisine by Freiburger(m): 11:30am On Sep 19, 2012
Missy_B:
Lol!
How are you doing, Freiburger? wink
I'm doing great, n you? greetings.
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 3:36pm On Sep 19, 2012
thiendella:
What is "dah"?
But whatever it is we don't add it, and yes we add vegetables ( carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes , cassava and cabbage) , there are vegetables in every single stew except onion and okra bases ones like yassa, caldu, soupou kandja smiley

Aaaa ok je vois smiley , le dah is i believe "oseille leaves" (loool just googled it cuz i didn't know the scientific name). I think you surely know it under another name though. Don't u eat Thiebou with some kinda very compact "leaves stew" that you put by the side of the rice? If yes, it is what we call the "dah" (but i guess dah is still a malinke word).
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 6:17pm On Sep 19, 2012
Sybellah:

Aaaa ok je vois smiley , le dah is i believe "oseille leaves" (loool just googled it cuz i didn't know the scientific name). I think you surely know it under another name though. Don't u eat Thiebou with some kinda very compact "leaves stew" that you put by the side of the rice? If yes, it is what we call the "dah" (but i guess dah is still a malinke word).
Ah ok, we call it "bissap" , the puree we make with green bissap leaves is called "begej"

We also make bissap juice from the red flowers of bissap, the scientific name is "hibiscus sabdaripha"

smiley smiley

2 Likes

Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 8:51pm On Sep 19, 2012
aaah smiley ok, we only call the red juice bissap! It's delicious! Long time i haven't had it. I did not know that "sauce dah" was made of the same plants as bissap juice. Is the juice from the flowers of the plant, and the stew from the leaves?
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 11:46pm On Sep 19, 2012
Sybellah: aaah smiley ok, we only call the red juice bissap! It's delicious! Long time i haven't had it. I did not know that "sauce dah" was made of the same plants as bissap juice. Is the juice from the flowers of the plant, and the stew from the leaves?
I used to see bissap plant and the fruit is green and turns red while maturing, it's what we call the "flower", babaras call iit "red dah"
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibiscus_sabdariffa
[img]http://2.bp..com/_Pe8C14JrkTw/TSDpbj0QDAI/AAAAAAAAARI/qr0tcs6QdmU/s1600/bissap-rouge-visoterra-15240.jpg[/img]
the non mature dried leaves are also used as comdiment in dishes like thiebou jen or mbaxal , they give a delicious juice as well especially when mixed with ananas juice and ginger grin
[img]http://laperlavalles.cat/drupal/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_full/09-infusions-011.jpg[/img]
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 9:58am On Sep 20, 2012
onila: Ethiopian food looks good
Yeah. Looks good. The key word here being "looks".
Last time I was in Addis Ababa (November 2011) I couldn't eat anything apart from the rice! angry angry
Don't get me started on that injera thing. I wanted to spit out every bite I had! angry
What about their stews? Goat meat dipped in excess olive oil accompanied by some starchy stuff in excess cheese! Gosh I just remember myself starving in Addis.
God knows I'll never commit myself to another trip to Ethiopia! angry
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 10:42am On Sep 20, 2012
Good Girl:
Last time I was in Addis Ababa (November 2011) I couldn't eat anything apart from the rice! angry angry
Don't get me started on that injera thing. I wanted to spit out every bite I had! angry
What about their stews? Goat meat dipped in excess olive oil accompanied by some starchy stuff in excess cheese! Gosh I just remember myself starving in Addis.
Loool u seem pissed grin grin grin
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 10:52am On Sep 20, 2012
Sybellah:

But does dah give a specific taste or textur to your mafé. In senegal you can really taste and smell the peanut, and we make the sauce boil at least 2 hours so the vegetables will be perfectly cooked and the sauce thich and dark enough smiley, in fact the oil have float on the thick cooked peanut paste, meat and vegetables.

1 Like

Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 1:12pm On Sep 20, 2012
thiendella:
But does dah give a specific taste or textur to your mafé. In senegal you can really taste and smell the peanut, and we make the sauce boil at least 2 hours so the vegetables will be perfectly cooked and the sauce thich and dark enough smiley, in fact the oil have float on the thick cooked peanut paste, meat and vegetables.

Yup kinda,with "dah" the stew is darker and a bit heavier, depending on the quantity u add, but u still strongly feel the peanut. I like it with dah but i have never cooked it.
2 hours of "cuisson" This is a lot smiley whenever the meat is ready am done grin, with chicken it goes quite fast but with beef or lamb it takes a while. I will try your recipe one of these day and tell u if i prefer it smiley.

Hey gyal, do u know how to cook Thiebou good good? If yes please oooo give me your secret recipe grin grin
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 1:15pm On Sep 20, 2012
Good Girl:

oh woow, that's too bad sad I thought their food was good. I have tried only their rice with lamb, it was ok but I preferred the ones in somali restaurants. Their rice chicken/lamb is pretty good.
Re: African Cuisine by BlackKenichi(m): 7:55pm On Sep 20, 2012
Sybellah: Cote d'Ivoire- Ivorian Recepi
Foutou Banane (pounded Plantain) with palm oil stew. Black Kenichi u eat this with your haaaands. If u try it with forks and all the wahala it will mess up the taste loool

smiley smiley

This is how u pound it! U mix it with cassava!

Stew recipe (she added some dry akrwa/gombo toward the end, i prefer it without)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjun9iPAoIM

Enjoy ! smiley

Looks good! smiley
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 8:12pm On Sep 20, 2012
Black Kenichi:

Looks good! smiley

yup smiley u can try it, there are plenty of recipe online
Re: African Cuisine by BlackKenichi(m): 8:16pm On Sep 20, 2012
I can defo see where Black Americans (especially the "deep south") and Black Caribbeans get their dishes from. I mean the West African stews and soups are like "Gumbo" and Pepperpot soup/stew!
Re: African Cuisine by BlackKenichi(m): 8:18pm On Sep 20, 2012
Sybellah:

yup smiley u can try it, there are plenty of recipe online
I'm not a good cook! sad
Also everything in that stew looked good except for the onion. I hate onions!

Also don't forget to post some alcoholic beverages! grin grin grin
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 8:19pm On Sep 20, 2012
Black Kenichi: I can defo see where Black Americans (especially the "deep south"wink and Black Caribbeans get their dishes from. I mean the West African stews and and soups are like "Gumbo" and Pepperpot soup/stew!

Yup we do have gombo stew too (most west africans), till recently, I didn't know that Afram had this recipe (gombo stew)
Re: African Cuisine by BlackKenichi(m): 8:20pm On Sep 20, 2012
Good Girl:

I see. OK Good Girl, what are you favourite African dishes?
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 8:23pm On Sep 20, 2012
Black Kenichi:
I'm not a good cook! sad
Also everything in that stew looked good except for the onion. I hate onions!

Also don't forget to post some alcoholic beverages! grin grin grin

ahaha tongue common now, u can learn, it ain't difficult, or at least if u wanna try, u can tell yo girl to do it for u
Onions when they are well cooked , u don't even feel them, i hate raw onions, but i don't mind cooked ones smiley they make the stew tastier

Alcoholic beverage damn! We have one: KOUTOUKOU, it can kill oooo very strong grin
There is Bangui too both are made of palms

There is chapalo also in Burkina smiley, i ll post them later
Re: African Cuisine by BlackKenichi(m): 8:29pm On Sep 20, 2012
Sybellah:

Yup we do have gombo stew too (most west africans), till recently, I didn't know that Afram had this recipe (gombo stew)
Yes they do. We Black Caribbeans don't have Gumbo. We have Pepperpot soup/stew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weOZl-FjVDk

It's mainly vegetarian but you can add meat like chicken, beef or lamb (I don't like lamb. I prefer mutton!) There's a whole lot of veg in it and plantains. There's even a type of dumpling called spinners/spillers. I love it! Good wholesome food for those cold and hard working days!
Re: African Cuisine by BlackKenichi(m): 8:35pm On Sep 20, 2012
Sybellah:

ahaha tongue common now, u can learn, it ain't difficult, or at least if u wanna try, u can tell yo girl to do it for u
Onions when they are well cooked , u don't even feel them, i hate raw onions, but i don't mind cooked ones smiley they make the stew tastier

Alcoholic beverage damn! We have one: KOUTOUKOU, it can kill oooo very strong grin
There is Bangui too both are made of palms

There is chapalo also in Burkina smiley, i ll post them later

I don't have a girlfriend. sad
I love alcoholic beverages. How can you be a Brit and not like alcohol!?
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 8:50pm On Sep 20, 2012
Black Kenichi:
Yes they do. We Black Caribbeans don't have Gumbo. We have Pepperpot soup/stew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weOZl-FjVDk

It's mainly vegetarian but you can add meat like chicken, beef or lamb (I don't like lamb. I prefer mutton!) There's a whole lot of veg in it and plantains. There's even a type of dumpling called spinners/spillers. I love it! Good wholesome food for those cold and hard working days!

uuummmh this look yummie and healthy! cheesy is mutton goat? in french mouton (pronounced mutton) is lamb i think

1 Like

Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 8:51pm On Sep 20, 2012
Black Kenichi:

I don't have a girlfriend. sad
I love alcoholic beverages. How can you be a Brit and not like alcohol!?

lool KOUTOUKOU would put u K.O ! what kinda beverage do u usually drink? I don't like beer it gives big belly lipsrsealed
Re: African Cuisine by BlackKenichi(m): 8:56pm On Sep 20, 2012
Sybellah:

uuummmh this look yummie and healthy! cheesy is mutton goat? in french mouton (pronounced mutton) is lamb i think
Mutton can be either goat or an old sheep that has died!

Sybellah:

lool KOUTOUKOU would put u K.O ! what kinda beverage do u usually drink? I don't like beer it gives big belly lipsrsealed
I don't drink a lot of alcohol. I like allsorts but I love beer (especially Red Stripe), Guiness and Jamaican White Rum (That stuff is powerful!)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

The Small Barbeque Fish I Bought Last Night For 5 Thousand Naira. / Snake Foodie / He Cooked A Colored Chicken Stew.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.