Stats: 3,149,767 members, 7,806,107 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:30 AM

2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate (10574 Views)

Jonathan Okays Sanusi As Supreme Court Justice / Emir Sanusi As A Young Child (1963 Picture) / APC Drops Buhari & Picks Tambuwal As Presidential Candidate? (2) (3) (4)

2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by Itohen: 9:05am On Sep 18, 2012
2015: CPC guns for Sanusi as presidential candidate •May persuade Buhari to drop ambition

CBN Governor, Mr Sanusi Lamido Sanusi and General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd)

INDICATIONS have emerged that the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) may have settled for Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) governor, as his presidential candidate in the 2015 elections, just as the party presidential candidate in the 2011 elections, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari (retd), has started having a rethink about the 2015 presidential race.

Sources in the political circles told Nigerian Tribune that Buhari, who had given his word ahead of the 2011 elections that the election would be his last presidential contest has decided to keep his word, notwithstanding the pressure from some members of his party.

It was gathered that some members of Buhari’s caucus highlighted issues of age and reach of the CPC, which is limited to parts of the North as major impediment to his participation in the 2015 race.

While the former head of state agreed with that submission, initially, pressure from within his party and the opposition party, the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) apparently informed a turnaround some months back.

Sources said that the leader of the ACN, Senator Bola Tinubu, had met with Buhari and reiterated the need for them to work together so as to capture power from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

Sources said that Buhari became so convinced about the Tinubu proposal that he practically took over the job of the CPC/ACN alliance talks committee.

Some members of the CPC, who were said to be wary of entering into a “blind” agreement with the Tinubu-led ACN, had cautioned against wholesale acceptance of the merger option and had insisted on the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) before the merger agreement between the two parties  could be reached.

Sources further confirmed that the confused state of things within the CPC first informed the delay in signing the MOU, with a section of the party believing that Buhari should not join the 2015 contest, while others who believed that the party cannot survive without Buhari’s father-figure felt that he should still contest election in 2015.

While the confusion lingered, sources said that unfolding developments appeared to have convinced the Buhari camp that the merger plan with the ACN would worsen the party’s woes.

For instance, a source said that leaders of the CPC had reinvented the fear of Tinubu, which informed the collapse of the merger talks between the two parties ahead of the 2011 elections.

The fear, according to sources, had to do with the belief that Tinubu’s ACN was double-dealing and that while they were holding meetings with Buhari’s CPC, some of the key men were also reaching out to the camp of President Goodluck Jonathan.

It was confirmed that Buhari appeared to have accepted the advice that he anoint a successor to the CPC presidential ticket in 2015 and that the party had settled for the governor of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Sanusi Lamido Sanusi.

Though Buhari and Tinubu made a show of the CBN governor’s chieftaincy event in June, the CPC is said to have decided to adopt Sanusi as its own candidate in view of the distrust between the two parties.

It was also gathered that Sanusi has decided to give the contest a trial, while leaving his acclaimed interest in the Kano emirate stool in the cooler.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/lead-stories/47740-2015-cpc-guns-for-sanusi-as-presidential-candidate-may-persuade-buhari-to-drop-ambition
Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by Afam4eva(m): 9:39am On Sep 18, 2012
I hope Sanusi is ready to try 3 times like Buhari.

18 Likes

Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by ektbear: 9:41am On Sep 18, 2012
congress for persistent chaos and sanusi. A good fit

Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by Nobody: 9:45am On Sep 18, 2012
Another fruitless quest I prezume. Well, let him squander the benjamins that he looted/he's looting/he'll loot from CBN. Nonsense.

Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by PointB: 9:46am On Sep 18, 2012
Is Sanusi Lamido electable?

Well, there is enough time to analyse the man, and tonnes of literature to reference. cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by jmaine: 9:47am On Sep 18, 2012
Goodluck to the CPC quest . . . .

Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by Nobody: 9:54am On Sep 18, 2012
This will make it a walk over for GEJ if he decides to give the 2nd term a shot.

Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by Afam4eva(m): 9:56am On Sep 18, 2012
ilugunboy: This will make it a walk over for GEJ if he decides to give the 2nd term a shot.
Exactly...only Buhari can pose a threat to Jonathan's ambition. He happens to be the only popular northern candidate at the moment. Sanusi is a nonentity as far as politics is concerned.

Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by PointB: 10:01am On Sep 18, 2012
afam4eva:
Exactly...only Buhari can pose a threat to Jonathan's ambition. He happens to be the only popular northern candidate at the moment. Sanusi is a nonentity as far as politics in concerned.

Please o. Abeg don't discourage the man. I like to see him on the campaign trail, telling Nigerians why he introduced N5,000. I am also interested in seeing how the Yoruba will relate to his article: "Yoruba are the problem of Nigeria"

https://www.nairaland.com/860099/yorubas-problem-nigeria

Abeg make I laugh small! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by hakanai(m): 10:22am On Sep 18, 2012
Buhari it is a good thing you did,that you choose to keep your words not to run and also support a new generation in the affairs of Nigeria's leadership.I do not agree with CPC position on a partial merger and grooming of suspicion amongst the alliance.It's far better to go the whole hug and take your chances in the merger.You will have nothing to loose.Its better to merger and resolve your differences in house than a partial merger.You should know that Rome was not built in a day and in any form of grouping or teaming,Differences/conflicts are bound and only a collective resolve to give and take would take you there. Because without this i see you two losing votes from voters who are confused.
Now forget all this we can't trust them or all that Sanusi imposition.I am of the opinion you sit down look at issues and work together in a formidable alliance.If you most know PDP is already panicking over this merger.Meaning it poses a serious treat to there political ambition.For PDP to even mention and complain it won't work or they have no fear about it ,says alot.
Divided you two will crumble.Together you stand a chance.Throw away ethnic and silly childish sentiments.The people who have covert membership with PDP will do there best to even cause rancor. you should prove them wrong.Also if you see it through i can tell you people that flee the rank of your parties are the real enemies and the PDP spies who will not want things to change so as to give the PDP an edge.
You have tried it alone.You have tried regional and you have tried other methods of failed alliance.Why not allow this work so you see what will become of it.Its more than ACN and CPC.Its about Nigeria.So all these party elements spewing nonsense sentiments have to stop.Its not about them alone or there greedy quest.
Even thought i feel this tribune story could have being manufactured to put issues that may cause doubts.I maintain you halt the Sanusi for president crap and focus on the merger.There is still time to sort the candidate issue collectively later.The merger seems more in dare need of attention than candidate selection.Also will you allow a known PDP candidate/GEJ buddy just get the presidential ticket over CPC or ACN candidates who have being loyal?I say let the Sanusi thing go and look from within your merger.That's if the tribune is reporting facts about the party.

Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by excondido(m): 10:28am On Sep 18, 2012
is SLS an official member of cpc?
Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by Paentera(m): 10:35am On Sep 18, 2012
I am sure CPC will never try to be suicidal by choosing SLS - at the moment, very unpopular with the Nigerian populace.
Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by ifeci: 11:08am On Sep 18, 2012
This is a failure even b4 the election, sanusi for president? thats laffable, I will vote with ten fingers and ten toes against this cattle rearer.

Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by mamikky: 11:55am On Sep 18, 2012
Hmmmm.....see me see gist ooooo, lets keep our fingers crossed as the drama unfolds
Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by bubadaniel13: 12:01pm On Sep 18, 2012
Grammar go finish us be that,he will make every Nigerian look foolish,what an arrogant President he is going to make.

Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by Nobody: 12:24pm On Sep 18, 2012
Sanusi? Well he's brilliant and eloquent, but overly elitist, arrogant and out of touch with the common man (remember when he said he can't remember ever paying for fuel with his own money?). He may be able to get the party's nomination, but win in a general election? Never. He simply can't connect with the common man the way Jonathan did so well in the last elections (you know, the whole I-had-no-shoes thingy).

Verdict: Sanusi is unelectable. CPC should look elsewhere.

Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by Nobody: 12:33pm On Sep 18, 2012
I don't know what it is...but I think something is harming the Core-North....whatever it is, it is much bigger than the issue of Boko-Haram.

The generality of other Nigerians just doesn't trust them with power any longer

Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by Biggyd2: 12:43pm On Sep 18, 2012
More vaseline to his elbow. undecided Let there be free and fair elections in this country and may Nigerians vote wisely!
Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by strangest(m): 12:44pm On Sep 18, 2012
Imagine, mallam with only diploma in sharia cultivation...

Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by miteolu(m): 1:03pm On Sep 18, 2012
SLS will not go for such he prefers CBN governor to Naija presido candidate
Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by executinal(m): 1:06pm On Sep 18, 2012
Goodluck for second term no opposition yet. Because SLS will be dead on arrival. Can't forget what the bankers is till passing through.
Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by misreal(m): 1:09pm On Sep 18, 2012
we r all condeming lamido nw over his introduction of N5000 note.wat if dis introduction of dis notes really works.nd wat if gej finally stabilizes power.we shud neither condem lamido nd gej.i advice we wait nd see cos dey both mean well for nigeria

Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by omiobo: 1:13pm On Sep 18, 2012
I will rather vote for SLS than to see PDP ruling this country again.

Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by ariy(m): 1:14pm On Sep 18, 2012
He don loss already. most of his policies are not acceptable by nigerians
Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by ismhab(m): 1:15pm On Sep 18, 2012
up sunusi.
Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by Deprofessional(m): 1:19pm On Sep 18, 2012
I have said it and will continue to say it; I will never vote any candidate from the core north. Not in this life nor the next. Not after what they did to my brothers and sister in the aftermath of 2011 elections; the gory sight of murdered youth corp members, the deaths unleashed by boko haram nursed by buhari, atiku, ibb, and marwa, will forever remain green in my memory.

I just hope that the American prophesy of 2015 will soon come to pass. Whatever we will gain by being one Nigeria, we will gain more by severing any ties with the Muslim north who are largely illiterates.

Why didn't the moslem yorubas riot in protest of the american video considered offensive to mohammed? The answer is simply, Yorubas are educated unlike the moronic, moslem north. Honestly, the day other regions of Nigeria realizes that the problem of Nigeria is the North, and take far reaching steps to either push them out or move out from them, the better.

Many hold this view.

Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by tunnytox(m): 1:20pm On Sep 18, 2012
Sanusi is simply not electable, simples.
Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by Yinkay: 1:25pm On Sep 18, 2012
That loose canon as President!God forbid
Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by honeric01(m): 1:29pm On Sep 18, 2012
3 years away and una don dey talk who dey electable and who is not? how many of una believe say una go dey alive by them to "decide" who's electable or not?
Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by manny4life(m): 1:29pm On Sep 18, 2012
miteolu: SLS will not go for such he prefers CBN governor to Naija presido candidate

But his tenure expires in 2013, so what happens after then?

@OP, this will be terrible mistake on CPC side, SLS is a mistake, and like someone said, he's pretty much dead on arrival. I mean, wouldn't this make perfect sense (granting Islamic banking license, donating N100million to Kano state government, etc). Now the puzzle is gradually being pieced together.
Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by honeric01(m): 1:30pm On Sep 18, 2012
What is wrong with this post?

THIS POST IS SPAM!

Re: 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate by lacasa(m): 1:27pm

omiobo: I will rather vote for SLS than to see PDP ruling this country again.

AMEN ϯo thαt wink

(Quote) (Report) (Like)

Katsina Speaker, Aliyu Muduru Impeached / Osinbajo & Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Are Leadership Newspaper Persons Of The Year 2021 / Peter Obi Commiserates With The Management Of Tansi Int'l College Awka

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65