Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,262 members, 7,807,900 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:11 PM

Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? (7483 Views)

How Often Should Couples Have S£x? / Should Couples Intending To Marry Cohabit? / Do We Love An Individual Or Their Qualities? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:41pm On Sep 20, 2012
sexkillz: If she is not working, she has no rights to demand a joint account with me. . .

God forbid, but in the event that you suffer some debilitating injury nko?
The banks will not make it easy with all that privacy and confidentiality policy for her to get that money
Re: Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Sep 20, 2012
in my own opinion and talking from what has worked for me (married for only 3 years, I believe spouses must be open to each other on financial matters, no secrets at all. Therefore it's not a bad idea if spouses have a joint account. We actually have seperate accounts but we both have the passwords to our accounts so it kind of operates like two seperate joint accounts. We make all our financial plans together before salary comes out, most times as I trust my wife with my money and my life, based on the plans we make, I or my wife could move money from any of our accounts and execute our projects.

In my own humble opinion, I think this fosters transparency and unity and also helps the couple to achieve more together. Truth is everybody doesn't have to do it but I'll advise those who can to plan jointly and probably have joint accounts or if you don't have joint accounts, spouses should have access to each other's individual accounts. The bible said 'they were naked and unashamed".

1 Like

Re: Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? by cindyrella(f): 2:52pm On Sep 20, 2012
sexkillz: I'll have a personal account for myself, she should have one for herself, and then we would have a joint account. We would agree on the percentage of our different salaries that would go into the joint account.

Well said!
Re: Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? by salt1: 2:54pm On Sep 20, 2012
sexkillz: I'll have a personal account for myself, she should have one for herself, and then we would have a joint account. We would agree on the percentage of our different salaries that would go into the joint account.

Good if it works for you. That is what we do too. It can be clumsy waiting for your partner to approve before you buy a pair of shoes or send a little token to a relative. The only modification in ours is that each is a signatory to the other's account. Either can sign. Because if there is emergency or death, the banks can be very nasty with legal hurdles before the survivor has access to the funds
Re: Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? by femmical(m): 3:10pm On Sep 20, 2012
I hate joint account bur i don't know about u
Re: Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? by freecocoa(f): 3:17pm On Sep 20, 2012
eastman11:

In case of what?
Incasity undecided

1 Like

Re: Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? by Beync(f): 3:37pm On Sep 20, 2012
sexkillz: If she is not working, she has no rights to demand a joint account with me. . .
you are saying that a prerequisite for opening joint account is the woman must be working, good. what if your job suddenly stops and your woman picks up a very good job which can help sustain the family through this period you are unemployed and serching for job? hope u wouldnt demand for joint acount incase the job is taking too long to come.

what if their is emergency and you are not around and since she is not working,
hope u'l be glad to learn that she has gone to borrow money frm ur brother
to takecare of the situation so u now pay back on your return?

people should be able to understand and trust each before u go into marriage in the first place.
If you trust your wife, she should have access to your money becos you have confidence in the wife
you married,knowing that she knows the family finacial strenght whether high or low will cannot take advantage of that.

2 Likes

Re: Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? by oldave: 3:37pm On Sep 20, 2012
LOl @ shagaman,its like we in the boat ooo.But i agree with sexkill totally.
Re: Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? by Philolos: 3:39pm On Sep 20, 2012
linda_1: Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? why?? smiley

Are we to assume that both spouses are bringing in an income or one of the spouses is bringing in or has established some type of cash wealth? Nevertheless, these issues should have been ironed out before tying the knot called marriage. As individuals, we all have philosophies about money depending on how we were brought up and how we see the world in general. Some are spenders, some are savers, some are frugal, and some are misers. And some are just greedy…joint account or not. I also have to add, some are control freaks, they want to control everything including any money you have earned, inherit, etc.

The connotation “joint” assumes income in a relationship is owned by the individual bringing in the money, which I beg to differ. However, as a good budgeting measure, a tool, a common account dedicated to home expenses, vacation, school fees, bills, money to extended families, etc, can be accounted for in a separate dedicated account. After all, at one time or the other one of the spouses may not be in a position to bring in an income due to child rearing, illness, schooling, or unemployment, unless either one or both started out with an established source of wealth, passive or active income of some sort.

If you are in a loving and forward-looking relationship, please drop the word “joint” account. His account is yours and your account is his. Even though I know some of you Nairalander men and women still want your own account due to the lack of trust of either’s spending habits or as some sort of insurance. What if he or she leaves me? Sorry, your marriage is still in its infancy and you are not totally committed to each other, at least financially.

3 Likes

Re: Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? by Banitez: 4:27pm On Sep 20, 2012
Wi3ter:

There is no right or wrong choice here. Whichever one works best for your relationship is what you used go with.
[b][/b]
Nothing wrong in joint account with your wife or husband so far two of them agree to run such account there shouldnt be noise about it.
it is only that people miscontrue the motive behind it, true love doesnt look at negative aspect of action but positive effect of it.If biblically two became twain and one, nothing should separate them except those who thought danger lies somewhere. To me it is nice and okay so far two of them are working towards the same direction.
Re: Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? by Sabogida: 4:49pm On Sep 20, 2012
All dat na yans jare!!! Y shld I hv a joint account with my spouse?? D best I can do is to declare all my earnings to the last kobo! Joint account can only come when we agree jointly to save up for a particular project and after the project, SHEKINAH! Doing odawise is simply called SELF-BAKED TROUBLE!!! lipsrsealed
Re: Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? by GboyegaD(m): 5:17pm On Sep 20, 2012

Right answer.
Re: Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? by Reference(m): 5:22pm On Sep 20, 2012
Absolutely not. Financial matters are far too complex to be built on such a platform. There are practically no realistic benefits.
Re: Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Sep 20, 2012
undecided
Re: Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? by Reference(m): 5:28pm On Sep 20, 2012
GboyegaD:

Right answer.

How can that be the right answer. How can three accounts be better than two. Very few aircraft have three engines. Two is preferred for obvious reasons.
Re: Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? by Nimi22(f): 7:00pm On Sep 20, 2012

Re: Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? by dasparrow: 7:27pm On Sep 20, 2012

Precisely! makes sense.
Re: Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? by suremutsy: 9:19pm On Sep 20, 2012
Joint account is gud but i must av my own personnel account, dats very crucial..
Re: Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? by Nobody: 11:24pm On Sep 20, 2012
Philolos:

Are we to assume that both spouses are bringing in an income or one of the spouses is bringing in or has established some type of cash wealth? Nevertheless, these issues should have been ironed out before tying the knot called marriage. As individuals, we all have philosophies about money depending on how we were brought up and how we see the world in general. Some are spenders, some are savers, some are frugal, and some are misers. And some are just greedy…joint account or not. I also have to add, some are control freaks, they want to control everything including any money you have earned, inherit, etc.

The connotation “joint” assumes income in a relationship is owned by the individual bringing in the money, which I beg to differ. However, as a good budgeting measure, a tool, a common account dedicated to home expenses, vacation, school fees, bills, money to extended families, etc, can be accounted for in a separate dedicated account. After all, at one time or the other one of the spouses may not be in a position to bring in an income due to child rearing, illness, schooling, or unemployment, unless either one or both started out with an established source of wealth, passive or active income of some sort.

If you are in a loving and forward-looking relationship, please drop the word “joint” account. His account is yours and your account is his. Even though I know some of you Nairalander men and women still want your own account due to the lack of trust of either’s spending habits or as some sort of insurance. What if he or she leaves me? Sorry, your marriage is still in its infancy and you are not totally committed to each other, at least financially.

agreed!
Re: Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? by conyema12(m): 11:29pm On Sep 20, 2012
Beync: you are saying that a prerequisite for opening joint account is the woman must be working, good. what if your job suddenly stops and your woman picks up a very good job which can help sustain the family through this period you are unemployed and serching for job? hope u wouldnt demand for joint acount incase the job is taking too long to come.

what if their is emergency and you are not around and since she is not working,
hope u'l be glad to learn that she has gone to borrow money frm ur brother
to takecare of the situation so u now pay back on your return?

people should be able to understand and trust each before u go into marriage in the first place.
If you trust your wife, she should have access to your money becos you have confidence in the wife
you married,knowing that she knows the family finacial strenght whether high or low will cannot take advantage of that.

Nice reasoning Bee
Re: Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? by KateSpade(f): 12:08am On Sep 21, 2012
both
Re: Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? by success4(m): 1:08am On Sep 21, 2012

This actually reveals the state of your mind dude! Marriage goes beyond just a mere ''I will do this or that''
My marriage is close to 7years at the moment,we have JOINT account. Either could sign and make reasonable decision
that is good for the family. As good as your 1st response was, I have TWO questions for you.

1. What informed the personal account if both of u are one?
2. What determines the % of each spouse?
Re: Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? by feyifassy: 5:58am On Sep 21, 2012

What if one or both are not on salary. How would they manage join account?
Re: Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? by Nobody: 7:28am On Sep 21, 2012
Both
Re: Should Couples Have Individual Or Joint Bank Accounts? by frank4ryl(m): 11:16am On Sep 22, 2012

That is if one of the two is not too lazy. Some people have choosen to be paprsite in this marriage issues.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hoes Aint Loyal, A Woman Will Always Be A Woman! / My Idea Of Feminism / No Good Girl Or "marriage Material" In Owerri Town!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.