Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,710 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:49 PM

My Career Dilemma - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Career Dilemma (10538 Views)

I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? / I'm Caught In A Career Dilemma And Don't Know What To Do / Career Dilemma: Someone Please Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Career Dilemma by Skywalker5(m): 1:07pm On Jul 02, 2013
thats cool. i do have a lab at home too which is a server from an old company with 16gb. I usually practice Vmware,Hyperv and the new server 2012 and exchange 2013 on it. i also work with backup,NAS and security softwares.

I work with them at my work as an administrator but i still consider myself a jack of all trade and master on none.Reason i said that is because i have seen complex deployment which although i understand how it works, its gonna be hard to troubleshoot. Most of my job is to troubleshoot and go some admin task. I sometimes envy guys who do installations and deployments in IT.i feel their job is more interesting or guys who work for ISP companies.

Like you said networking. Most of my knowledge has just be acquired as i progress.I will try and get my hands on that Netapp and see how good it is. I hate cisco a lot. i do know how to configure basic stuffs like VPN and just basic config for SME but i wont want to go further than that. i am sure you be guru for Cisco smiley smiley
Re: My Career Dilemma by mikkybrick: 8:07pm On Jul 04, 2013
That's very cool.
@skywalker, what's your end game?
Re: My Career Dilemma by Skywalker5(m): 12:53pm On Jul 05, 2013
mikkybrick: That's very cool.
@skywalker, what's your end game?

end game?
Re: My Career Dilemma by mikkybrick: 11:35pm On Jul 05, 2013
What i mean is that: Are you like me who is aspiring for that perfect datacenter job? What's in it for you really? Or do you just love to learn new stuff for the fun of it?
Re: My Career Dilemma by Skywalker5(m): 10:42am On Jul 08, 2013
Its a bit of both?I work in IT so i need to understand the new and emerging technologies so i can always balance myself. I do like to play around with technologies at home like deploying , causing problems on some virtual servers and trying to fix it. How to minimize downtime during disaster recovery, e.t.c. I do use my home lab as test before deploying new applications at work to give me more knowledge of potential problem.

Would be nice to work for a datacenter. Now with the cloud cloud stuff coming on. I am currently trying to learn more about cloud ( currently learning migration of exchange mailboxes to Office 365. I learn different things to safeguard my career.

I might sound funny but i just think a lot of IT jobs will be lost soon due to cloud services. Everything is being hosted by another companies and Microsoft is the main bigboy trying to enforce all that. The new server 2012 and exchange 2013 are configured with cloud services. Office 365 is also exchange but hosted and its cheaper. Lots of companies are moving their emails from exchange on-site to office 365. After e-mail, i am sure data will be next.
Most companies will rather go with office 365 than exchange 2013 according to surveys. That mean internal IT staff's jobs will be vulnerable.

But generally, i just love to play around with IT and learn how they all work
Re: My Career Dilemma by lockedOut: 3:01pm On Jul 08, 2013
@Op mikkybrick and skywalker great insights you guys have given and have been following the thread for awhile. while still being a newbie I can relate with some of the points above.

For me I started out with virtualization as an end to a means, couldn't raise the cash to buy a server for home use, then I stumbled on vmware then virtualbox and the game changed (wanted to setup a forest that had multiple domains in different locations so had to integrate with gns3, a frieind actually told me about it and my laptop became a mini forest though not without its snags(plenty sef). That was how I became a virtualization rookie.

To the issue of a lot of I.T jobs being lost to I.T i still think the role of the administrator will remain, using the company I work for, we are also migrating to Office 365 online right now, though the mails were hosted on a web mail account.

Office 365 truly offers an exciting prospect only if workers can adopt the suite as a whole, but really I still doubt any serious company that takes security seriously will put its emails online after hearing how many subpoenas the US govt issues to Google, Yahoo and Facebook monthly!

For start ups the cost of hosting onsite compared to online will probably be too steep and factoring the Nigerian environment (Power Issue) for the small companies but for big corporations I really doubt they would consider migrating to office online, I may be wrong about this anyways. Also the small corporations will still keep their system engineer/ administrator to over see the day to day operations of their networks and since its the major corporations that mostly keep the onsite exchange server perseonnel, only when a big corporation decide to move or when they start adopting an online storage can we really say most of the exchange jobs will go start to vanish.

If I may point out internet connectivity in Nigeria is still not comparable to what is obtainable elsewhere so I think major corporations at our end will be skeptical about hosting some of their files online compared to having them onsite.

On the long run, I think as long as major corporations do not adopt the online storage rather more jobs will be created by smaller companies who use traditional mails (yahoo, google) migrating to dedicated domain name based accounts, the data centre guys will begin to get more jobs. As i read sometimes back Glo also has its own data centre and also IPNX also has as well. The future looks bright for the data centre world and I really see more jobs being created rather than being lost. Though I might be wrong when this is done in other countries.
Re: My Career Dilemma by Skywalker5(m): 3:33pm On Jul 08, 2013
You correct. There will be more jobs at datacenters but far more job loss for IT administrators at non IT companies. some companies do employ two or three IT staff but once cloud has taken over,less jobs for some staffs which is good and also which can justify job being cut. Pay rise might not be great anymore as most of the job is going to be basic administration and not a lot of troubleshooting or deployment going on.Also with services like hosted desktop and hosted servers getting popular everyday,its taking power away from internal IT admins. I am also in the stage of migrating to office 365. That's because i am done with Microsoft exchange issues which sometimes could be a pain. I know about 89 companies that has moved from onsite e-mail to office 365.

Yea, Nigeria should not even think about migrating to the cloud at all because the bandwidth is slow and not reliable at all.

For Vmware. Have you tried Vmotion and Svmotion? that is the coolest feature i love with virtualization
Re: My Career Dilemma by lockedOut: 4:10pm On Jul 09, 2013
^^^ You are right on the aspect of migration and just seeing vmotion, hmm... it looks interesting (migrating a functional virtual OS without downtime). Thanks for the heads up man, really appreciate grin grin grin grin.
Re: My Career Dilemma by mikkybrick: 11:41am On Jul 10, 2013
Storage vmotion is phenomenal.
Anyways, i've really not had much interest in enterprise architectures/applications etc. For me, the production environment/ System integrator/ OEM is key. So, the coming redundancy tide in the enterprise isn't my concern, even though it's still 6-10 years away in Nigeria.
I'm willing to pick your brain a little on an issue bugging me. How do you create that work / study balance? it's been difficult for me to study @ the pace i want especially while holding down a 9-5 job, gidi traffic and personal/family engagements that are such an encumbrance.
Re: My Career Dilemma by Skywalker5(m): 12:51pm On Jul 10, 2013
mikkybrick: Storage vmotion is phenomenal.
Anyways, i've really not had much interest in enterprise architectures/applications etc. For me, the production environment/ System integrator/ OEM is key. So, the coming redundancy tide in the enterprise isn't my concern, even though it's still 6-10 years away in Nigeria.
I'm willing to pick your brain a little on an issue bugging me. How do you create that work / study balance? it's been difficult for me to study @ the pace i want especially while holding down a 9-5 job, gidi traffic and personal/family engagements that are such an encumbrance.

haha. i feel you. i have been there man. i am currently studying now even though i come on nairaland. Like i said,i work as internal IT so i only get calls when things go wrong which often does not at the moment as i have ensured everything is going fine. i have my own office so i do use video tuotorials to learn at work. go online to read blogs and draft a deployment plan or disaster recovery plan at work which i tend to do at home during the weekends.it more of reading at work and practice at home for me. If i was working with an IT company,i don't think i will have this much flexibility. Besides driving to work and back is 30 minutes which sometimes gives me chance to get home early, relax watch movie and even study after.I feel you about that lagos traffic men. I feel that traffic drains enerygy away from you and by the time you get home, you are knackered.

If you use tutorials like trainsignals, i think they have the mp3 version and wmv formats which you can copying into your phone so you could be listening while driving home (Sounds crazy but my guy does it and he says he picks up valuable info listening only) or watch it on your phone. i guess it just about creating time out of no time
Re: My Career Dilemma by greatgeo(m): 7:13pm On Aug 06, 2013
@skywalker,mikybrick and d rest i took my time to read whole of this thread to get ur message and to be sincere am in love with telcom but my question is how can a fresh graduate in elect/elect who wand to go into d field get started
Re: My Career Dilemma by mikkybrick: 7:15am On Aug 07, 2013
greatgeo: @skywalker,mikybrick and d rest i took my time to read whole of this thread to get ur message and to be sincere am in love with telcom but my question is how can a fresh graduate in elect/elect who wand to go into d field get started
bro, to speak the truth, its just prayers. The telecom industry is one that there is no hard and fast rule. Though i heard there are telecom courses you can take now (offered by TTC mobile), but there are no guarantees. Mostly. once absorbed by a telco, you'll be trained on the job.
Re: My Career Dilemma by Mellorix: 1:35pm On Jan 07, 2014
I must confess the conversations here are epic! Nice to see conversations of similar minds.

As a newbie to Nairaland and oldbie to technology .. I think Vmware,HyperV,cloud is the future... - But the problem with technology (IT) Is - you have to always learn learn learn learn and learn - no end game for you ., (Even worst than people studying medicine because the human body doesn't change so frequently (correct me if im wrong). But IT is crazy - After paying over N500k for Vmware certification i was like hmmmm - 500k just for a certification?

1 Like

Re: My Career Dilemma by mikkybrick: 10:16pm On Jan 07, 2014
Mellorix: I must confess the conversations here are epic! Nice to see conversations of similar minds.
As a newbie to Nairaland and oldbie to technology .. I think Vmware,HyperV,cloud is the future... - But the problem with technology (IT) Is - you have to always learn learn learn learn and learn - no end game for you ., (Even worst than people studying medicine because the human body doesn't change so frequently (correct me if im wrong). But IT is crazy - After paying over N500k for Vmware certification i was like hmmmm - 500k just for a certification?
@Mellorix :Thanks boss.
I hope it was your company that paid for the Vmware certification? grin

Sure, IT changes faster than you can blink these days. The reason? Newer and more efficient ways of solving problems.
Guys that work for vendors / OEMs are at an advantage in being able to keep up with the pace of change in IT, because they must master their product portfolios. Hence, they get regular updates, courses. Vendors often need to get their personnel certified to maintain their partner status with the OEM.

Future for me? still on the lookout for the OEM/Vendor opportunity. That will precede my graduation to the DC. I am already on the storage path now...tinkering with NetApp, (EMC coming soon).
Re: My Career Dilemma by lockedOut: 10:20am On Jan 08, 2014
mikkybrick:
@Mellorix :Thanks boss.
I hope it was your company that paid for the Vmware certification? grin

Sure, IT changes faster than you can blink these days. The reason? Newer and more efficient ways of solving problems.
Guys that work for vendors / OEMs are at an advantage in being able to keep up with the pace of change in IT, because they must master their product portfolios. Hence, they get regular updates, courses. Vendors often need to get their personnel certified to maintain their partner status with the OEM.

Future for me? still on the lookout for the OEM/Vendor opportunity. That will precede my graduation to the DC. I am already on the storage path now...tinkering with NetApp, (EMC coming soon).

@mellorix, mikkybrick happy new year everyone, what do you guys think about security? CISSP, CEH and Security +?
Looking towards that for my 2014 certifications think that will be a main focus for companies as cyber crime become more prevalent and companies wake up to the need to protect their networks and infrastructure as a whole.
What are your thoughts on this.....Nigeria wise?
Re: My Career Dilemma by mikkybrick: 12:05pm On Jan 08, 2014
^^
On point bro.

Security guys have been in more demand that R & S in recent years. They even have a broader career pathway, Relevance and advantage in the enterprise.
Re: My Career Dilemma by Mellorix: 12:06pm On Jan 08, 2014
lockedOut:

@mellorix, mikkybrick happy new year everyone, what do you guys think about security? CISSP, CEH and Security +?
Looking towards that for my 2014 certifications think that will be a main focus for companies as cyber crime become more prevalent and companies wake up to the need to protect their networks and infrastructure as a whole.
What are your thoughts on this.....Nigeria wise?

I have little or no idea in terms of that (Nigerian Wise) - However- i think its something nice to have - Also consider CISA if you really want to go that route. For me im soley into virtualization/Storage- Vmware, hyperV, OracleV, etc.

@mikkybrick - Unfortunately - i paid it my self (good jobs in Australia and UK for VCP engineers) anyways how is your Netapp storage going - are you in the studying phase ? or you are working with it at the moment - I have a Lab environment of clustered DataOnTap - (As a VSA on my esxi hypervisor anyways) . Everything going on smoothly - are there more users of Netapp than EMC in Nigeria? just curious as to where to lay my focus.
Re: My Career Dilemma by mikkybrick: 12:48pm On Jan 08, 2014
@Mellorix, - ooh...coolies...the end surely justifies the means. I'm at the studying phase. I have the Data OnTap 8.0.1 7-Mode Admin guide + exercise guide as well as the DataOnTap 7.2.3 simulator on my VM. Had little exposure at my previous project, but now nothing - just UNIX and CLM applications as well as endless business meetings.

I see a lot of mixed NetApp and EMC environments, just a little IBM.

My Opinion is that there are more NetApp boxes in production than EMC in Nigeria(not verified). NetApp is cheaper and more friendly to the medium scale business. This is mainly due to NetApp's 'Unified Storage" (NAS & SAN) feature as well as its array of hardware solutions. Administrators can also tinker with the box either via CLI or Systems Manager. EMC is not like that. Admins can't interact with the CLI, except you are a high level EMC engineer.
This could also translate to higher opportunities for entry level storage administrators to hone their skills.

I am hoping to get better
Re: My Career Dilemma by Mellorix: 1:10pm On Jan 08, 2014
Yea true - i have actually tried using the CLARION EMC simulator but man!! that thing is soo slow.- i gave up . I am now running Netapp SAN and HP LeftHand SAN- connected to my Hypervisors through iscsi. All Looking good so far - I have successfully replicated my company environment in my LAB at home - this makes troubleshooting very easy for me.
Re: My Career Dilemma by mikkybrick: 5:03pm On Jan 08, 2014
You've earned the title of being my Storage mentor and "go-to" guy wink
Re: My Career Dilemma by dljbd1(m): 3:45pm On Jan 10, 2014
Lord Jesus, when will I start talking and scattering people's brains like these guys? embarassed
Re: My Career Dilemma by mikkybrick: 8:15pm On Jan 10, 2014
dl_jbd: Lord Jesus, when will I start talking and scattering people's brains like these guys? embarassed
It's no biggie. just work with different technologies, try to know them in-depth...its a step at a time...
Re: My Career Dilemma by Jeffflo: 11:57pm On Aug 22, 2014
@mikkybrick
Hello sir. i'm in a quandary i'm hoping the astute minds of this thread can help me with. I'm a 300 level student in a public university here in Nigeria with a wish to kick start a career in cloud computing with requisite certifications.

My questions are these:

First, which do you consider to be of more import to prospective employers: EMC proven professional (Cloud) OR its VMware contemporary.

Second, what do you reckon are the prospects of cloud experts in Nigeria's jobosphere. Are there/will there be openings for us excited about the revolution that cloud is?

Third, what are the viable alternatives to a career in cloud. Vulgarity set aside, where is the honey pot located in the telecommunications sector.

Thank you!
Re: My Career Dilemma by mikkybrick: 7:14pm On Aug 23, 2014
@Jeffflo
Cloud in itself is still growing in Nigeria, hence the need for more skilled entrants. As per which certification to go for, i always shy away from recommending any because it largely depends on who hires you.
My point: with certification in Cloud computing only, without requisite experience and indepth practical knowledge and know-how of the prduct, there isn't a huge chance of getting interviews for cloud computing positions, except as a presales engineer. But again, the technology the company sells also matters.

There are several companies you should consider: OEM Companies(EMC,VMWare, IBM, Dell, HP,CISCO), System Integrators(Dimension Data, Resourcey, CWG, Weco Systems etc ).

The system integrators are usually partners to the OEMs, and sell/integrate their products into the IT infrastructure of their client companies - banks, Oil and gas companies etc.

I suggest you should do a little research on these companies, know about their Cloud computing offerings as well as other Products etc, and align your CV appropriately. The most important thing is getting in...a whole lot is possible once you are in.

Alternative to CLoud? well, i can tell you the backbone of a cloud infrastructure is the Datacenter and its inherent technologies - Virtualization, Networking and Storage. You can use these as a spring board.

IT and Telecoms are 2 different sectors, though Telecoms usually incorporate IT in their infrastructure and rely on the above OEMs/Sys integrators to get the job done. The Telco staff merely administers and carry out L2/L3 support.

As for Honey pot, there isn't! Truth be told. Just get in, and get very good at what every you can lay your hands upon. You get fat salaries as you move from job to job, and as you grow, you'll get wiser and know which certifications to go for.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: My Career Dilemma by Mellorix: 9:54am On Aug 28, 2014
I agree with @mikkybrick everything struck on the head!

Just to add a little , i think the internet data speed and Rate in Nigeria is killing the full adoption of cloud technology. I like to think of the internet as the backbone of cloud technology - In fact cloud is internet .

@mikkybrick i remeber you were studying Netapp storage sometime ago , how's your progress or did you digress?
Re: My Career Dilemma by AjanleKoko: 9:58am On Aug 28, 2014
Jeffflo: @mikkybrick
Hello sir. i'm in a quandary i'm hoping the astute minds of this thread can help me with. I'm a 300 level student in a public university here in Nigeria with a wish to kick start a career in cloud computing with requisite certifications.

My questions are these:

First, which do you consider to be of more import to prospective employers: EMC proven professional (Cloud) OR its VMware contemporary.

Second, what do you reckon are the prospects of cloud experts in Nigeria's jobosphere. Are there/will there be openings for us excited about the revolution that cloud is?

Third, what are the viable alternatives to a career in cloud. Vulgarity set aside, where is the honey pot located in the telecommunications sector.

Thank you!

You need to graduate first bro wink
Re: My Career Dilemma by Mellorix: 5:09pm On Aug 28, 2014
AjanleKoko:

You need to graduate first bro wink

With all Due respect , I dont think that is a correct advice (personal opionion though). Because with the current unemployment status in Nigeria - You might need to fully equip your self before graduating.

I was looking at a graduate role the other day : and the requirements were enomous . So my advice is - get as much certification/Training you can get before graduating.

Cheers
Re: My Career Dilemma by AjanleKoko: 5:54pm On Aug 28, 2014
Mellorix:

With all Due respect , I dont think that is a correct advice (personal opionion though). Because with the current unemployment status in Nigeria - You might need to fully equip your self before graduating.

I was looking at a graduate role the other day : and the requirements were enomous . So my advice is - get as much certification/Training you can get before graduating.

Cheers

Have you graduated?
Re: My Career Dilemma by Mellorix: 6:17pm On Aug 28, 2014
AjanleKoko:

Have you graduated?

Yep! Long time ago. you?
Re: My Career Dilemma by AjanleKoko: 3:58pm On Aug 29, 2014
Mellorix:

Yep! Long time ago. you?

Probably longer than you.
I graduated well before the time of certifications and 'self-development' wink
Re: My Career Dilemma by Mellorix: 4:09pm On Aug 29, 2014
AjanleKoko:

Probably longer than you.
I graduated well before the time of certifications and 'self-development' wink

So what is your point really? - I am still lost.
Re: My Career Dilemma by AjanleKoko: 6:11pm On Aug 29, 2014
Mellorix:

So what is your point really? - I am still lost.

The most important thing, for anybody looking to work with a degree, is to get a good degree.
No need to deceive yourself.

Also there is no 'honeypot' in telecommunications. I've been working in the industry for 13 years now. It's just jobs.
Experience is way more important than certifications. Get a good degree, then use the good degree to look for good opportunities. really good opportunities are very very few in Nigeria. Simples.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Prostitution In The Nigerian Banking Sector / B.sc In Mathematics / FG Suspends Salaries Of 686 Civil Servants Over Unverified Records

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.